• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Ray's Anatomy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Pajama parties, sleepovers, birthday parties, you never got invited to anything similar? I have been asking my soon to be 18 year old what she plans on doing with her life after graduation and I still get the same old response, "Idaknow. Maybe this, maybe that, Idaknow." I say "then get a job", I get "w'ever". She says all her friends are the same.

This is rapidly getting off the topic of anime, but yes, of course I went to sleepovers and birthdays, lame ones with other nerds for the most part. The sort of party featured in Can't Hardly Wait was more like the kind I didn't get invited to...

In any case, I hated high school. Years later I met people who loved high school, (even the very school I attended) and when I questioned them closely I found the majority were people who had skipped school a lot. Basically they'd enjoyed their teen years by avoiding school entirely. This was a foreign experience to me, because I was focused on getting good grades and playing sports in order to get into the best college I possibly could. In other words, I continually worried about my future and lived to plan for it. As an adult, I still do this. Generally speaking, I like making plans and having plans.

Questioning your teenager about her future could be quite stressful for her. (Or not, it's not like I've met her.) A lot of young people, and even 20-somethings agonize over deciding what to do with their lives.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:09 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
Questioning your teenager about her future could be quite stressful for her. (Or not, it's not like I've met her.) A lot of young people, and even 20-somethings agonize over deciding what to do with their lives.
There's an obvious question for you there, but I won't stress you, or go any further off topic, asking it. Wink
eyeresist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:45 pm Reply with quote
fireaxe wrote:
Half the shows you mentioned are comedies first, with some slice-of-life elements.

Why can't a slice of life also be a comedy?
fireaxe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:08 pm Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:
fireaxe wrote:
Half the shows you mentioned are comedies first, with some slice-of-life elements.

Why can't a slice of life also be a comedy?

I'm not saying they can't, just that there's a distinction to be made between comedies using a SOL elements (shows that make you laugh), and other slice-of-life series that are a lot plainer in tone (shows that make you, or me, go "aaww"). Curing SOL series which UtenaAnthy was referring too represent the latter.
But that being said, I might have overlooked the part where you said your were "using a fairly broad definition of the term", my mistake, but I just wanted to point out that there are indeed different genres within the genre.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
eyeresist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:36 am Reply with quote
Hmm. For me, comedy is ideally a part of a healing anime, because, you know, laughing cheers you up.

But in this context it has to be character-based comedy, i.e. the laugh comes from feeling close to the characters and sympathising with their flaws. It's a loving laugh (as opposed to the hateful, sneering Family Guy type of laugh). So for me a healing show with no humour is definitely lacking something important.

I haven't seen the Hidamari Sketch animes, but I've read the first couple of volumes of manga, and it seems to have the kind of humour I'm talking about.

EDIT: Loving Laugh or Love Laugh would be a great title for an anime! Lafu Lafu!
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
I've seen Ray the Animation before and it's pretty underrated.

Anyways, regarding the collection..kinda hard to see the full details but that's a rather large collection Shocked

Agreed. Ray is not bad, if you can bear with the animation.

But that shelf life collection, pretty nice! Thanks for sharing that!
Kiyomaro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As is, this is a movie based on a TV series I didn't like retelling a game I'll never play.

How do you know you'll never play it? Never is a pretty strong term.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Kiyomaro wrote:
Quote:
As is, this is a movie based on a TV series I didn't like retelling a game I'll never play.

How do you know you'll never play it? Never is a pretty strong term.

I suppose you're right. In a future of infinite possibilities all things are possible. I could've said I'll "probably" never play it, but I feel like I use the word "probably" too often.

But I didn't like the TV show or the movie all that much, so I don't feel compelled to play the game. If I was at a friend's house and they stuck a controller or keyboard in my hand I guess it's possible...?

I haven't seen Fate/Zero. Maybe it's really good and would change my mind on the franchise.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4