• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cameron Talks About Battle Angel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Andre Linoge wrote:
That was why people thought they could raise the ship by stuffing her full of ping pong balls (don't think anyone ever worked out how many it would take though).

Well, Donald Duck did it, as did the Mythbusters. Smile
Andre Linoge

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
Andre Linoge wrote:
That was why people thought they could raise the ship by stuffing her full of ping pong balls (don't think anyone ever worked out how many it would take though).

Well, Donald Duck did it, as did the Mythbusters. Smile

They made a movie about it called, what else, Raise the Titanic. It was based on a novel by Clive Cussler in which the US Navy needs to raise the ship in order to protect America from the threat of Soviet Russia. It was such a critical and financial disaster that one of the creators said "Raise the Titanic? It would have been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!"
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Andre Linoge

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:

Well, if they did it then the ship they raised couldn't have been that far down. Ping pong balls simply couldn't be used at the depth that Titanic rests at. The pressure would crush them easily. Its the same reason submersibles can only be used to reach that depth.

Last edited by Andre Linoge on Thu Nov 25, 2004 2:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Your gonna have to watch the episode to see the result when it re-runs on Discovery. You're gonna be very surprised. Laughing
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:47 am Reply with quote
Wouldn't you know it? Jimmy's doing another film which takes place in the sea! http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/film/brief_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000727241 Guess GunM will have to wait another half decade or so.
Ranmah

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:29 am Reply with quote
Speaking of Battle Angel. Who does Cameron think will be the next Gally. She must be very athletic, cute, innocent, a little bit of Dirty Harry. I like the actress who did GoGo in Kill Bill Vol.1. Very important she must know martial arts (10 years or More Experience). I hate these actresses who look cute and their fighting style sucks ass.

Who will play Ido. Kiefer Suterland has the facial features. Maybe William Defoe. I think William will be a good choice.

Maybe have Goldberg as one of the Cyborgfighters.

Ranmah
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Proman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:00 am Reply with quote
Ranmah wrote:
Speaking of Battle Angel. Who does Cameron think will be the next Gally.

Unfortunately, (or fortunately, depending how you look at it) Gally is going to be a CGI character.

Last edited by Proman on Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:02 am; edited 2 times in total
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:01 am Reply with quote
The most obvious choice for Cameron would be Jessica Alba. She has worked with Cameron before (Dark Angel, which many people have pointed out has quite a few similarities to GunM), and even looks a bit like Altia. I'm sure she would be at least considered.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:32 am Reply with quote
Proman:
Quote:
Unfortunately, (or fortunately, depending how you look at it) Gally is going to be a CGI character.

I guess Hollywood still hasn't learned anything from The Spirits Within.

Kagemusha: I'd pick Zhang Zhiyi, because unlike Alba, she's Asian, can fight, and has been a more successful actress. (And yes, I actually believe Fantastic Four and Sin City will either be disappointments or flops, because the former's been in worse development hell than X-Men, and the latter doesn't have enough of an audience to justify the money being spent on it.)
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:44 am Reply with quote
I agree that she would be a better choice. As for the fighting part, she is probobly more experienced than Alba at acrobatics (female Kung Fu start are often trained in dance and improvise when it comes to fight scenes).
As for Sin City, it's too early to automatically say it's going to flop. The cast is solid and might attract people, and they could go the Miramax route and paste Tarentino's name all over it. I'm not sure how it's going to work out as a film though. Great choices in terms of which stories to do (I'm quite happy about That Yellow Bastard being included), but I'm wondering how Rodriguez will handle putting the three tales together. He might have to improvise to make them all connect. But right now I'm happy about the project. Rodriguez left the director's guild so that he could make Frank Miller his co-director, so it would seem he's really putting his soul into it.
Ranmah

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:38 am Reply with quote
Alba might be a good choice. I need to wait about Fantastic 4.

One disadvantage for Zhang is that her english isn't very good. Though if she really wanted the part I'm sure Cameron can hire an excellant English Teacher.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:18 am Reply with quote
Ranmah wrote:
Who does Cameron think will be the next Gally. She must be very athletic, cute, innocent, a little bit of Dirty Harry. I like the actress who did GoGo in Kill Bill Vol.1. Very important she must know martial arts (10 years or More Experience). I hate these actresses who look cute and their fighting style sucks ass.

Ranmah

y'know, that suggestion (casting of actress "whatshername" from Kill Bill as Gally) just might work, if BA was to become a live action project. but unfortunetly Cameron is going the way of CGI,which may or may not work. I'm also skeptical of cute actresses with lack of martial arts training for their roles. (Jessica Biel's moves in Blade trinity look sloppy,atleast Jennifer Gardner trained hard for her role in the upcoming Elektra flick.)

Gatsu wrote:

I guess Hollywood still hasn't learned anything from The Spirits Within.

Hollywood? Maybe, but as for Japan CGI/Hand drawn animations,all i can say from looking at the Appleseed trailer is Godddamn Exclamation Exclamation i can't wait to see this flick once Geneon releases it in the theaters. Cool
Jadress

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:09 am Reply with quote
The "CGI main character" thing really annoys me. Granted, I am not too familiar with BAA (I saw that OAV.. God, I have no idea how long ago), but even if the character does crazy unrealistic martial arts moves, wouldn't it be easier/better to just CGI the actress in those parts? It's kind of like.. Harry Potter does a lot of unrealistic things with what n' them there broomridin' and spellcastin' and troll straddlin', but it would be stupid for them to make him a CGI character.

In my opinion, Hollywood is leaning too much on CGI lately. *coughPolarExpresswhythehellisitanimated*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:14 am Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:
In my opinion, Hollywood is leaning too much on CGI lately. *coughPolarExpresswhythehellisitanimated*
true that, but The Incredibles kicked box office a$$

*cha-ching!*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5