• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Aims for 40,000 Subscribers in 3 Years, Joins AJA

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:54 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
Good on them, especially once they get their issues fixed. I loathe streaming anime, because it's never anywhere near the quality you can get via downloading (or, of course, on DVD), but any funds helping the industry is a-okay by me!

Its actually very much on par. Compared to Dattebayo, the crunchyroll video quality is way better. They've fixed all the streaming and video quality issues on like the 2nd or 3rd week that they offered the service.

I'd really have to suggest that anyone who thinks DB looked better, blow one of their fansubs up to fill a HDTV screen and then click on the 720p option from Crunchyroll and see what reality says.

To me, its better than DVD. If you have any actual Naruto DVDs, do a comparison on the same episode of watching a 480p Hulu/Crunchyroll stream vs a DVD of the same episode. I did it and couldn't tell the difference.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Finny-chan wrote:
since when did Sunrise join CR? I haven't seen any of their anime yet....

Gintama. I wouldn't ever expect them to put anything more important like their Gundams series up there, aside from possibly X.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Finny-chan wrote:
since when did Sunrise join CR? I haven't seen any of their anime yet....

That's all TV Tokyo's doing as they are listed as the moderator. This means that they are the license holders for this show. It's not Sunrise's decision to make.
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:25 pm Reply with quote
europe is still having issues on the subscribers streams but they are usually fixed within hours of the air time so even europe is getting the week in advance for the buck.

the HQ is nice but unless you happen to have a really good connection you'll need to start the stream and pause it for a minute or so to allow enough buffer lead to avoid any stops mid episode. 480p seems to need this infrequently again probably more due to regional loads.

CR needs to increase the number of series it streams simply to attract more subscribers because they don't even have a new stream for each day of the week yet.

40k subscribers should not be very hard to attain if they do add a few more current series.
sdhd

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:10 pm Reply with quote
All I want to know is Bandai Entertainment, VIZ, FUNimation, or ADV going to license Skip Beat!, Gin Tama, Eyeshield 21, and Web Ghosts PiPoPa. Please license them because you got one buyer ready to spend money on them.

Last edited by sdhd on Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:24 pm Reply with quote
dragoneyes001 wrote:
CR needs to increase the number of series it streams simply to attract more subscribers because they don't even have a new stream for each day of the week yet.

40k subscribers should not be very hard to attain if they do add a few more current series.

No kidding. All of their content you could get done in a short amount of time if you're a heavy watcher, I am. I can get like 50-70 episodes in during a normal week, so their content is pretty empty for me.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:28 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
dragoneyes001 wrote:

No kidding. All of their content you could get done in a short amount of time if you're a heavy watcher, I am. I can get like 50-70 episodes in during a normal week, so their content is pretty empty for me.

I agree that they should have it setup where if a new episode comes out, there are at least seven of them per week. However, I think your 50-70 episodes per week is like the most extreme of the most extreme user.

How can you possibly watch 50-70 episodes during a "normal" week? Do you do nothing but goto work/school and then get home and watch anime until you fall asleep?
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:21 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
dragoneyes001 wrote:

I agree that they should have it setup where if a new episode comes out, there are at least seven of them per week. However, I think your 50-70 episodes per week is like the most extreme of the most extreme user.

How can you possibly watch 50-70 episodes during a "normal" week? Do you do nothing but goto work/school and then get home and watch anime until you fall asleep?

not really I can watch an entire series of 24+ episodes in a sitting on a sunday because i don't feel like going out that day the anime series average 24 minutes each of which 2-3 minutes is the intro and about the same for the credits but usually there's only about 18 minutes of actual show. or about 432 mins for a 24 ep. series
or 7.2 hrs which is easy to do in 2-3 hr sections between getting daily stuff done on sunday by skipping the intros and credits.
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:35 am Reply with quote
at 20 mins per episode, 50 eps per week is only 2.38 hours a day on average but I assume more of that would be on Fri/Sat/Sun. Although I don't watch as much total per week, that seems pretty reasonable. I myself watch 2-3 hours (6-9 eps) on some days too. But I also hardly watch regular TV anymore.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:09 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
at 20 mins per episode, 50 eps per week is only 2.38 hours a day on average but I assume more of that would be on Fri/Sat/Sun. Although I don't watch as much total per week, that seems pretty reasonable. I myself watch 2-3 hours (6-9 eps) on some days too. But I also hardly watch regular TV anymore.

Well, I'd just have other things I'd rather do than spend that much time on TV - any TV. All in moderation, I say. Laughing
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:56 am Reply with quote
sdhd wrote:
Is it viable for Crunchyroll to show anime in countries that don't have an anime company to sell people anime dvds?

Some shows on CR, albeit not enough, have near-worldwide availability, even though it's certain many countries will never see them licenced domestically. This may not be finantially viable, but perhaps those who allowed such shows to be streamed to such a large audience are expecting to earn their money through streamed advertisments.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jsc315

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:59 am Reply with quote
Well good luck to them with that. I will never support a shady company like them. I'm amazed there as big as they are now. They have a good idea but i don't understand why so many are supporting them. I'll just stick with HULU for my anime for now when it comes to streaming anime. Better quality and much better user interface and control.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:23 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
dragoneyes001 wrote:

I live on campus and ride a longboard. Combined with a more easy major, I have tons of free time and I can watch anime at my work as well. I think 10 or so episodes a day isn't too bad, if it's across the entire 24 hour period. Like maybe 2-3 before bed, a few before or between classes, some after, and then some in the nighttime. During break when I truly have nothing to do, 20 is good daily amount. And since I don't usually marathon shows straight, I don't tire of what I watch.

I also don't really game (I have a mac anyway) or do other nerd things that would waste time.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:52 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

I also don't really game (I have a mac anyway) or do other nerd things that would waste time.

It amuses me the guy talking about watching 10-20 episodes of anime a day is calling gaming a "nerd" thing. Irony/Hypocrisy, much? <_<;

Protip: If you're not trying to insult people, the word is usually geek.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:08 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
It amuses me the guy talking about watching 10-20 episodes of anime a day is calling gaming a "nerd" thing. Irony/Hypocrisy, much?

I think the keyword in what he said was 'other' nerd things, that is, I don't think that he's excluding anime from the umbrella of nerdiness, it was just a somewhat abiguous statement.
Your Protip is pretty much true though. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4