• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Sugar Rush

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:26 am Reply with quote
SUGAR!!!! Too bad nothing really looks that interesting this week except maybe From Far Away (in my eyes that is). How does it compare to FY (or Twelve Kingdoms if you've seen it?). And I'm a bit currious about your statment regarding the art. I may sound nit picky, but you kind of sound like you aren't a fan of older stuff. I really don't like it when some people dismiss art like Lone Wolf and Cub or Phoenix because its diffrent. Recently I've heard alot of people who hate the way Banana Fish is drawn (I suspect because of how diffrent it is from other shojo/yaoi titles). Not to say that you're like that, but could you be more clear about what you mean?
Not in RTO (for obvious reasons) was Vagabond 16, and I got to say that I'm pleased that there's tons of action in this one. I like the whole multi-volume side story, but I'm eager to see the big duel between Musashi and Kojiro, and it looks like it will happen next volume.
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:40 am Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
From Far Away (in my eyes that is). How does it compare to FY (or Twelve Kingdoms if you've seen it?).

Well, I've never seen TK, but I've kept up with FY and it's kind of hard to say at this point since it's only the first time. At the moment it's got less angst than FY has. The characters don't contain as much depth as FY, but From Far Away has plenty of time to develop. Right now I'm a little burned out on FY mainly because I can't take Miaka whining and crying all the time. As I mentioned, it's probably most like Red River.

Kagemusha wrote:

And I'm a bit currious about your statment regarding the art. I may sound nit picky, but you kind of sound like you aren't a fan of older stuff.

Nope, don't have a problem with older stuff. Two of my favorite series (Please Save My Earth and Black Jack) are rather old. However, a lot of people don't (like you said) appreciate the "older style" of artwork and I wanted to point out that readers shouldn't let the fact that it's 10 years old turn them off from picking From Far Away up. I would hope that people don't think I'm biased against certain series just because it's an older series. If anything, I've tried harder than ever to come across as unbiased as possible when reviewing things.

I also want to point out that just because someone may not like an older series' "style" doesn't mean that they hate it and have no appreciation for the work. It really could be that they just don't like the way it looks. Banana Fish as you said has a pretty unique style to it. Personally I enjoy a more modern look for yaoi titles...but that doesn't mean that I can't enjoy the series and you shouldn't look down on someone because they *don't* like the different stylings of certain series.

Kagemusha wrote:

Not in RTO (for obvious reasons) was Vagabond 16
Why is this an obvious "omission?" I read Vagabond too. It's probably something that I'll eventually put in the column...when I finally get caught up. ^_^;
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:01 am Reply with quote
I see. Thanks for clearing that up. And I understand what you mean about the prefering looks thing. I tend to like newer art more as well. I think Banana Fish's art is very fitting though, as it's a fairly gritty story. I'm not in the possition to say this as a male but I think if it was drawn with tons of girly men it would take away from the presentation.
And I put obvious because it is a long series that is currently in the middle of it's run. RTO is usually intended for newer series. Viz has been releasing them so fast that its a bit hard to keep up. Mangas usually don't do well on a monthly basis unless their huge (Lone Wolf, Kenshin), and Vagabond never achieved that level, so its pretty much being sold to its established fanbase rather than something new readers can jump into.
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:06 am Reply with quote
RTO tries to cover newer series and the latest released volumes of preexisting series. So, Vagabond, is just as eligible as anything else. Regarding Vagabond...that's one of their "Editors Choice" ones right? That entire line from Viz hasn't ever moved quite as quickly as their main line of stuff (action/shoujo/SJ).
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:18 am Reply with quote
They're really weird with Editors Choice, and it often is very annoying. They decided to accelerate Vagabond to monthly out of the blue, despite the difficulties with expanding the readership, and haven't slowed down despite it being on hold in Japan at volume 20. Phoenix is just to opposite: they know it's twelve volumes and yet they have released it slow as heck. Maison Ikkoku and Nausicaa are consistant though.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Dream Gold seem to be the most interesting and different in a way, but like most ADV title, it can be confusing. Did ADV read these book before they licensed them or they probably got the a lot of licensed for cheap in batches.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Did the Princess Tutu manga come out before the anime or after it?

The anime was actually pretty decent and watchable, for a sugary mahou shoujo series.
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:03 pm Reply with quote
The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:
Did the Princess Tutu manga come out before the anime or after it?

The anime was actually pretty decent and watchable, for a sugary mahou shoujo series.

I think the manga is based on the anime.I hear the anime is very good and the manga pales greatly in comparison. I suppose I should've mentioned that the manga is only 2 volumes long and that the Princess Tutu anime was what shapes up to be a good series...not the manga. *sigh*
Adam Stephanides

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 8:44 pm Reply with quote
lianncoop wrote:
I hear the anime is very good and the manga pales greatly in comparison. I suppose I should've mentioned that the manga is only 2 volumes long and that the Princess Tutu anime was what shapes up to be a good series...not the manga. *sigh*

I'm currently watching and enjoying the anime, so this is very disappointing to hear. The fact that your review doesn't mention Ahiru's other transformation isn't a good sign.

Regarding Hikaru's incessant "sir"-ing of Shima in Passion: I haven't seen the original Japanese, but I'll bet that "sir" is a translation of "sensei" (i.e. "teacher"). It would be a lot less bizarre for Hikaru to call Shima "sensei" than for an American high schooler to call his teacher "sir" in a similar situation (though still a bit odd): respect for one's superiors is very important in Japanese culture, and even between equals Japanese use first names with each other much more sparingly than do Americans (think of how long it takes Arima and Yukino to call each other by their first names in Kare Kano).
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Adam Stephanides wrote:

I'm currently watching and enjoying the anime, so this is very disappointing to hear. The fact that your review doesn't mention Ahiru's other transformation isn't a good sign.

I don't even think *that* transformation is even addressed in the manga.
Adam Stephanides wrote:

Regarding Hikaru's incessant "sir"-ing of Shima in Passion: I haven't seen the original Japanese, but I'll bet that "sir" is a translation of "sensei" (i.e. "teacher").

Yes, I know that it's an accurate translation. That in itself is not the weird part. It's the fact that even when having passionate embraces with Shima it's like... "I love you! I love you! SIR!" It's like he's in boot camp or something...lol.
Adam Stephanides

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:03 am Reply with quote
lianncoop wrote:

In that case, I'm definitely not buying it. It sounds like when they were adapting the anime, they left out everything that was distinctive about it.
lianncoop wrote:
Yes, I know that it's an accurate translation. That in itself is not the weird part. It's the fact that even when having passionate embraces with Shima it's like... "I love you! I love you! SIR!" It's like he's in boot camp or something...lol.

Oh, I agree that it comes out sounding very strange in the translation. This is one case where a less literal translation would have been truer in spirit.
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Adam Stephanides wrote:
lianncoop wrote:

In that case, I'm definitely not buying it. It sounds like when they were adapting the anime, they left out everything that was distinctive about it.

Yeah...it's really a shame that they made it into more of a "loosely based on" version rather than a faithful adaptation. Oh well. At least there's the anime. Anime smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1