• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nike Ads Spark Graffiti Complaints in Singapore

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animefreak08

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:18 pm Reply with quote
A bit of an interesting tidbit that I learned the other day...
My Uncle owns a binding factory/warehouse thing and they shot the live-action parts in his warehouse.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
jsyxx

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:12 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Looks like you don't know much about other countries in the world, do you?

Why becuase I don't want to live in China?

Quote:
If you can't understand this anology, I'll have nothing else to say to you.

No, I understand your analogy, I just completely disagree. Sure many people who live there don't think caning is barbaric and thats the norm. But what about the kid who gets caned because he did some graf? Sorry, if I emphathize with him. If its the popular opinion that getting your hand chopped off for stealing is a just punishment is it still right? And yes, I understand the point about capital punishment, but this isn't really an argument about crimes as heinous as murder.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:14 am Reply with quote
Quote:
My Uncle owns a binding factory/warehouse thing and they shot the live-action parts in his warehouse.

Those were the worst segments too.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:28 am Reply with quote
s_j wrote:
Thank you for clearing that up.

But, even then, I think your comparison is past hyperbole. Singapore's laws are decided by its people, and while their punishments are severe, they strive to be just.

I have no objections to the view that caning for petty crimes is harsh, but I wouldn't accuse Singapore's government of being uncivil...that would be as wrong as Europeans accusing us of the same for having capital punishment. Notions of what is lawful and fair, our tolerances for what is considered cruel, these are constantly shifting. So in any discussion about such, whether about Jim Crow or caning, one has to do so in context with the values of the times and its people.

The cynic in me says there are no universal human rights...that's only for the priviledged, and that's just the way of the world. But, if we were to draft a bill of universal human rights, I'd think freedom from fear of crime would be pretty high up. Freedom to own property, and have protection for said property, would be pretty important too. Now, freedom from severe butt spanking when you break laws...well, that might be good too, but I wouldn't say it's anywhere as important as the above two rights. =)

You do make a good point. All I can say is why the hell do we even need these kind of people? My uncle's market got graffeit up by ganga member just becaues they want to be recognized in the neighboorhood. Graffiti is cool if it's done legally, but if someone just came up to your car and broke your grafiti your car (or broke your window), no shit you're going to be mad. It's good to have freedom, but some people just abuse it.

Don't worry about J-Syxx's comment, nobody really take him serioiusly anyways.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:42 am Reply with quote
Thats cool. The feeling is mutual though. If someone grafitied up my car, I wouldn't want him to be caned. I'd just love to see which rights would be next to get flushed down the toliet after that kind of development though.
wao

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:58 am Reply with quote
And I'm still wondering why there's such an article on ANN to begin with. Nobody has explained what is its relevance. This isn't a political news network.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:00 am Reply with quote
Aparently, so I could argue with everyone.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:56 am Reply with quote
wao wrote:
Nobody has explained what is its relevance.

Probably because they know that you've already made up your mind about it and no mater what answer they give you it wont be good enough. Fact of the matter is it's their site and their news, they can post whatever they want no matter how vaguely relevent it is. What I do know is that it wasn't done "To make people think 'hehe geez Singapore sucks'", certainly not after reading Tempest's views on Singapore.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:04 am Reply with quote
wao wrote:
And I'm still wondering why there's such an article on ANN to begin with. Nobody has explained what is its relevance. This isn't a political news network.

Maybe because the only person who could conclusively answer your question (me) doesn't spend every waking minute of the day reading the forum looking for questions to answer.

I do have other things to do, like post the news, eat, sleep, sell advertising, publish a magazine, fix bugs, watch anime, buy groceries and do all those other things that people tend to do in their lives...

Anyways, to answer your question, its because we previously reported on the Nike ads because they were animated by a well known anime studio. As such, now that something interesting has come up in relation to those ads, I decided to cover it.

-t
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I love this forum. Regardless whether it's OT or not, this is still the best place on the net for intelligent conversation (or arguments). While I don't agree with some (one) of the posters, this has been a very interesting and informative thread.

I'm glad anime fans can be angry at people other than anime companies. Anime smile
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:33 pm Reply with quote
All I can say here is "art is not graffiti, and graffiti is not art". especially when it's done on other peoples private property and on public property as well. If I could have caught the little toe rag who spray painted the unintellegible word on the side of my house a few years ago, I'd have done more than just whip his arse with a cane. I'd have sent him home to his mother in a bloody envelope. But then if I had, I probably would have been done for GBH. and the tw@ would be out doing it to someone elses house when he'd finished re-doing mine. It cost me £250 Quid to clean it off. That's money I could have spent on my family instead of having to use it cleaning up stupid mindless vandalism.There's Justice for ya'. Our J-Syxx is obviously not a proud property owner. Where in the US constitution does it say "anyone has the right to deface property, public or private and get away with it because the rest of the cretins thinks it's "cool"? Love it, or lothe it, Singapore is one of, if not THE, cleanest city in the world. Our grotty and graffiti riddled city should look half as good, but we mustn't be too hard on the anarchists, I mean "artists". Evil or Very Mad Rolling Eyes

[edit] Edited for spelling.

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:05 pm; edited 3 times in total
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Even if they get caught and get fined for it... or even serve a very short amount of time for it... it often seems to them, it's not much, they shrug it off, then they do it again. So much for the current justice system providing a deterrent for commiting vandalism.

I suspect that J-Syxx hasn't actually suffered from having had personal property vandalized... Personally, over the last five - six years, I've had two different vehicles (I no longer own either one) had windows broken - the first timetime, just a rock thrown for the sake of destruction, the other time to steal part of my car stereo) and two times (within two weeks of each other no less!) I had my apartment broken into and had stuff stolen. (and I no longer live there.)

The first time I had a problem, I was upset about it - but every other time it happened after that, it made me feel sick and violated - especially the break-ins. I've become more cynical over the years because the section of humanity that decides it's okay to steal from another feels that they can get away with it, and that the benefit to them outweigh the consequences if they are caught. Is it any wonder that some people want stricter laws and to see corporal punshinment re-instituted in some form or other?

As far as the issue with Singapore, I would prefer for people to not over-react, take a second look and realize they are looking at an ad. No sense on losing one's mind when you think there is something wrong, regardless of what you think you may be seeing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
jsyxx

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 12:15 am Reply with quote
Hey, its me again. Definantly never visiting Singapore though:

Quote:
The penalty for smuggling gum into the country is one year in jail, and a 10,000 Singapore dollar ($5,500) fine.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/3512498.stm

I don't think the world in Logan's Run was that harsh.
Animefreak08

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:34 am Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
Quote:

Those were the worst segments too.
But they were filmed in my Uncle's warehouse! Surprised
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
jsyxx

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:44 am Reply with quote
Misalocation of the term hater. Plus they actually used for shizzle again. Old white people must have been behind it.

And I love how bubble gum is on the same level as cocaine in Singapore. I wonder if they have bubble-yum sniffing dogs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5