• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Innuendo

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:19 pm Reply with quote
atlanime wrote:
That "Warrior King" episode from the American Street Fighter was actually part of a story arc that branched from 3 other animated series playing on USA Network at the time, including Wing Commander, Savage Dragon, and Mortal Kombat: Defenders Of The Realm. About the closest Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat ever got together.

I already mentioned that.
Ranma824

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Todd wrote:
Cocona, who dresses like a child prostitute and should appeal to players barred from living within three miles of any school. She's also presented as a potential future girlfriend for Croix.

I thought she actually DID become the "girl" in one of the endings. But more interesting, I hope she's the Main character for Ar Tonelico 3. The series needs some Yuri.

Quote:
Yet the game may best be left to the truly devoted fans, the ones who will buy Luca model kits and use “dorodere” in future conversations.

Crap, I'm probably going to do that. :/

Although I can't really disagree with any part of your review; I'll just say for myself that Ar Tonelico 2 made me like the whole franchise more. Even though I liked AR T1 better, the 2nd game made me enjoy what the creators are trying to do with the universe they've created.

belvadeer wrote:

Ar tonelico 2: ...the Diving system is really too dating sim for anyone's tastes (see Ar tonelico 1).

...I think they either need to do MORE with the dating sim, or totally change it to something else. Right now, it's both "too much" and "not enough".
konkonsn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:39 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

Because someone repeating what you said earlier in a thread never happens...?

I'm glad for the Ar Tonelico review. I may still rent it in the future just for fun, but at least I'll know what I'm getting into. I'd just be disgusted if I didn't prepare myself with some cynicism and humor. Wink
aluria

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Ah Gall Force, I fondly remembering seeing it on Space Channel in english and renting it Subbed a few months later. Been meaning to buy it on DVD actually. Glad to hear that at least the game stood out some.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sepherest

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:53 pm Reply with quote
I hope Devil Survivor is good, it's just that I haven't heard/seen much about it from Japan, and I like looking to their reviews first.
The character designs are also a bit funky looking. That and if it's like TWEWY....beh. I played that game and did not get what the deal was about.
Raoh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Chun Li's extra costume makes her look similar to Mai from King of Fighters.

Pretty sure that hasn't been mentioned yet (although I've just scanned through the recent posts), but if it has, disregard this.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:50 pm Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
Wow... so after going through the trouble of releasing both Star Ocean PSP remakes, with new animation sequences, in the US, as anime-tastic as they are, they're then going to change the 'anime' look of the newest one? How does that make any sense at all? So, what, are the games targeted at different people? Are fans of the first three not going to be buying the new one? Does S-E not want them to? I don't get this...

STOP CHANGING THE GAMES WE WANT TO LOVE THAT YOU EXPECT US TO BUY!!!

You should've known they'd be doing something like that as soon as it was announced to be a 360 exclusive.

Dammit, I wish I had a PS3/360... SF4 looks awesome... although I loved SF3. I love fighters, but I've... never actually figured out how to play them. >,> For all the years I've been gaming, I've just never managed to decipher the mystery of how to play a fighting game and not suck at it. That said, I sorta, kinda figured out SF3; not only was the gameplay fun though, but the soundtrack and animation were fantastic.

I didn't know Masamune Shirow was doing the designs for Fire Emblem DS!! I remember when I read about it in Nintendo Power, I thought to myself, "Wow, that has nice art." But I never knew it was by him! You'd think they would publicize that more; it's actually increased my interest in the game.

Also, since I never played any of the other old-school Dragon Quests, there's a good chance I'll get DQ5. It looks like fun, and the multi-generational storyline looks like a refreshing break from the norm. I recently discovered DQ, and I've been itching to play it on a handheld, but heard DQ4 was too frustrating. If I were to get one DQ for the DS, should it be IV, V, or should I wait for VI?

If Devil Survivor doesn't have an annoying, J-poppy soundtrack like TWEWY, I MIGHT look into it. Maybe. Kinda. Is it too much to ask for Shin Megami Tensei on the virtual console? Sheesh.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Rednal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:13 pm Reply with quote
I kind of like Ar Tonelico 2, myself. ^^ Well, except for that boss-glitch, anyway. ((Tip: Create items until you've got the one that enhances a Reyvateil's emotional level. Use two of these on Cloche and you can enable Replekalia. Charge up to 600,000% or so and you should win the fight easily))

There really is no excuse for missing that glitch. ^^; I mean, I seriously want to know what the circumstances were that arranged it so absolutely none of the people testing the game ever noticed that.

On the other hand, you get Jacqli in your party, and in some ways she completely makes up for every bad part of the game. Part of it's her personality, but she also has a very interesting story if you've played the first game and get all of the hints in her Cosmosphere. That and:
spoiler[Jacqli: Yeah, he was with a girl who sucks at naming things, a girl who can change between a child and an adult, and a girl who's always getting lost.] Totally unflattering depiction of those characters, yet completely accurate as well.

...And I did like the item-creation, if only because it was hard to stop laughing at the sort of things they came up with... I mean, Soda in Burger? And a bomb with a blast radius bigger than their entire world? ^^

3/5, 'because of that awful glitch and the formatting errors. As long as you don't take the game too seriously, though, it's pretty fun.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:40 pm Reply with quote
konkonsn wrote:
belvadeer wrote:

Because someone repeating what you said earlier in a thread never happens...?

I'm glad for the Ar Tonelico review. I may still rent it in the future just for fun, but at least I'll know what I'm getting into. I'd just be disgusted if I didn't prepare myself with some cynicism and humor. Wink

Nooo, I just don't like it when things are repeated. Shows some people don't read. Meh, whatever.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Gall Force and Icer One laserdiscs got me into anime. Hurrah for region free laserdiscs.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:21 pm Reply with quote
There's also a Gall Force game for the MSX Wink
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Come to think of it, I like the idea of Luca's character, though. Too bad the game probably doesn't have the kind of subtlety and emotional depth I demand from a character-centric story. I'd say I'd try it to be sure, but there are too many other games on my "must-play" list to make time for this one. Besides, the only "Luca" I'll ever know is "Lucca". From the Chrono saga. Ah, Lucca, you give nerds a good name.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
GisforGrenade

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Just in case Todd actually mays any attention to our yattering on here, I just have to say his column is one of the best on ANN along with Astro-Toy and long may it continue.
mogexpres

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:48 pm Reply with quote
AT 2's Cosmosphere is so much more than a dating sim. It is an interesting look into a very well developed character. Everything is a symbol for some part of the girls mind or her outlook on other people. Some of the NPC's have more character analysis than other RPGs entire whole casts. The regular plot is full of complexities and turns that make other RPGs to shame. The jokes are ridiculously funny full. The battle system is complex and fun to max out damage.

Just throwing the word moe in a sentence and throwing it out as a bad plot is just ignorant of the massive complexities. It is obvious that the reviewer had a huge bias against this game from the previous update. The translation and the bugs make no impedence on the flow of the game and matter as much as the number of save points in the game.

Please disregard the review and buy this game without Anime bias.
Eivion

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Also, since I never played any of the other old-school Dragon Quests, there's a good chance I'll get DQ5. It looks like fun, and the multi-generational storyline looks like a refreshing break from the norm. I recently discovered DQ, and I've been itching to play it on a handheld, but heard DQ4 was too frustrating. If I were to get one DQ for the DS, should it be IV, V, or should I wait for VI?

You should get them all in my opinion, but if your only getting one go for DQ5, more interesting story than the other two, and who knows when VI will come out. There has been no information on the remake.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4