• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Six Seiyū Cover 12 Rock/Punk Songs for CD Collection

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:35 am Reply with quote
Parvati-IV wrote:
I wonder if this will be as funny as the CD I have of 5 seiyuu covering Simon & Garfunkel songs. Hearing Midorikawa Hikaru singing "Homeward Bound" and Yamaguchi Kappei singing "Cecilia" was HILARIOUS.

Hey!
I have a lot of character cds I enjoy! (Sukisho, Fushigi Yugi, Haruka, Gravitation, Initial D, Zenki & One Piece come to mind)
I happen to LIKE Mr. Yamaguchi's(One Piece, Gravitation, Zenki, Sukisho) & Mr. Midorikawa's (Fushigi Yugi, Sukisho) singing. Of course, the choice of musical material is always a potential problem. Covers are hard enough to try. The only way they work is if they are either a better or maybe more interesting take on the original version, otherwise the reaction is "It's horrible" or "Not bad, but not as good as the original"
Not to mention if they are singing in English vs Japanese. I was halfway thru one of the songs on the Saint Seiya Theme Collection before I realized it was Pegasus Fantasy being sung in English.

And the choice of songs for this cd just sounds rather daunting in places.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:55 am Reply with quote
Oh christ, is this in "English?" Call me a musical elitist (cause I know someone will), but I'm firmly of the belief if you can't sing the damn language near-accentless, don't sing it in the first place.

That goes for any language. Avril Lavigne's Japanese in "Girlfriend" is just plain ear-shattering. Shades of Marimite Christmas and Gackt x Ayumi's "Sirent Nigh, Hory Nigh" cover abound. Ugh...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Konstantin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:27 pm Reply with quote
This will either be horribly awesome or awesomely horrible. Can't wait to get my hands on it in either case.
NimbusRain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:55 pm Reply with quote
You guys may think it sounds like a bad idea, but I think it sounds hilarious! A glance down the tracklist and who they have singing makes it pretty obvious (at least in my mind) that this whole CD is not meant to be taken seriously. And if for some reason it is supposed to be serious - that makes it even funnier! Laughing
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:28 pm Reply with quote
TheBigN wrote:
therealssjlink wrote:
This sounds like a very terrible idea.

You mean a very awesome idea, for sure. :3
I mean seriously, what's the worst that could happen?

Didn't I just give an example? Laughing
Quote:

For all that's desecration and holy! This is as bad an idea as American singers covering Japanese songs!

If this CD sells, those music execs will get that idea. Mark my words! Someday, we all will regret it!

SongstressCela wrote:

That goes for any language. Avril Lavigne's Japanese in "Girlfriend" is just plain ear-shattering. Shades of Marimite Christmas and Gackt x Ayumi's "Sirent Nigh, Hory Nigh" cover abound. Ugh...

You mean, "Whory Nigh"... It's Japanese Xmas, after all. Laughing

NimbusRain wrote:
You guys may think it sounds like a bad idea, but I think it sounds hilarious! A glance down the tracklist and who they have singing makes it pretty obvious (at least in my mind) that this whole CD is not meant to be taken seriously. And if for some reason it is supposed to be serious - that makes it even funnier! Laughing

You say that now.......... until some American pop sings your favorite J-pop song to make a quick buck on the Japanese market! Laughing
einhorn303

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Halko Momoi singing "Call Me!" I am totally importing this. Assuming it's in English.
Polly E.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm always up for those off the wall as hell CDs. It'll go great next to my bluegrass Metallica covers CD.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Laughing Laughing

Oh my god; I want to check this out just for the pure hilarity that will undoubtedly ensue.
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm all over this album like white on rice. Color me nervously excited.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Kurt Cobain must be rolling at 10,000 rpm in his grave...
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:11 pm Reply with quote
TheBigN wrote:

I mean seriously, what's the worst that could happen?

you did NOT just say that...

at least most of the originals really are punk... but now I'm going to have dreams of Rie T with a green mohawk with the background music "punk rock girl"

OK, so that isn't that bad...
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:25 am Reply with quote
domino wrote:
If it were famous male seiyuu instead, though, I'd buy ten copies; "pretty fly for a white guy" by Mai Kadowaki? Nah. Same song by Tomokazu Seki? Sign me up.
Strangely enough, I agree (although I'd prefer to never hear that song again, ever, by anyone). I think it has to do with the fact that I often can't tell female seiyuu apart (I think it's already been brought up in another thread how females often tend to be better at differentiating between males voices, and vice versa). That aside however, I love hearing Japanese artists do covers of songs I know, even if they are "Engrishy." I at least appreciate the effort they made to learn a song that's not in their native tongue, even if the results can sometimes be unintentionally humorous.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kanon-chan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:13 am Reply with quote
I like Halko Momoi and Yuko Goto so I think that I might buy this. According to CDJapan the first pressing includes a trading card and a poster.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:18 am Reply with quote
Cela:
Quote:
Call me a musical elitist (cause I know someone will), but I'm firmly of the belief if you can't sing the damn language near-accentless, don't sing it in the first place.

Tell that to the Sex Pistols.
psipsy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:28 am Reply with quote
If SuiginTou were at a karaoke bar and had a few drinks in her, then I can imagine Rie Tanaka covering "Anarchy in the UK".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4