• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Love Hina specials + OVA question.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nico87

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:49 am Reply with quote
So, I've just watched Love Hina and so I have a question about the specials (Christmas + Spring) and the Love Hina Again OVA's.

Am I right in thinking that the Christmas and Spring specials are spin-offs and does not continue the story of the TV series, while Love Hina Again covers further chapters of the manga and is a continuation? Or does the specials connect the main series to the OVA's? I've read something about the OVA's ending at volume 12 of the manga.

Then there's also the bonus DVD episode. What's that about?
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:28 am Reply with quote
This could have been posted in the General Questions thread.

But to answer your question, the Christmas special was an anime-only storyline while the Love Hina Again OAV, bonus Motoko OAV and Spring Special were all plots ripped from the manga with some changes in spots to either tone down on fan service/ perverted material (as the manga is far higher in content in that area) or add and remove plot elements for the anime or manga takes. The Spring Special covered events in volume 8 when spoiler[Keitaro fled to the island before knowing of the results for his entrance exam for Tokyo University], the Motoko special covered the arc where Motoko's sister Tsuruko made an appearance in volume 9 and the Again OAV covered events from volumes 11 and 12 when Keitaro's stepsister Kanako made her appearance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Love Hina: Again also serves as an ending for the franchise as well getting spoiler[Keitaru and Naru together officially. All 3 specials do a lot more towards advancing that plot than the series ever did so they're all worth a watch.] Of course that's assuming you can manage to scrounge them up somewhere, they're out of print.

The OVA episode with Motoko's sister was included with the Funimation release as episode 25 I believe.
Nico87

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:12 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the replies, and sorry for posting in the wrong sub-forum.

The Region 2 release of the specials + OVA collection is still on Amazon.co.uk for $18 so I'll get that. Is the Christmas Special completely stand-alone or does it tie up ANYTHING between the original series and Spring Special/Again?

And yeah, I guess the "bonus episode" is the OVA - "Motoko's Choice, Love or the Sword: Don't Cry". I guess that should be watched between the original series and the specials, then Again?
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:56 pm Reply with quote
The Christmas special focuses on the Naru/Keitaru relationship aspect of the show so you could say that no it's not really stand alone.
TheSwedishElf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:10 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Love Hina: Again also serves as an ending for the franchise as well getting spoiler[Keitaru and Naru together officially.]

spoiler[For the fourth time, so the emotional payoff is in the last few minutes of the entire OVA, and it's something we already knew, making the OVA entirely worthless.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1