• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Garbage - Ki•Me•Ra

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lord_darkseid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:34 am Reply with quote
Hehe. Thanks Justin for confirming this indeed was one to avoid. I used to get it from ADV and something told me to simply give it away as a prize or two.

OTOH... I liked the Gatchaman OAVs. The animation was good for its time and I liked the music. This one we'd have to seriously disagree on, but that's for another article. Heh.

BTW, for garbage selections, have you done Apocalypse Zero yet?
Parvati-IV

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:11 am Reply with quote
toddc wrote:
. I'll always remember it for making me think "You know, maybe LifeForce wasn't such a terrible movie after all."

Augh! AUUGH! I thought I'd buried all memory of that movie! *wails*

lord_darkseid wrote:

Dude, there are some things that should not be inflicted on other human beings...
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:23 am Reply with quote
Elves wrote:
According to Wikipedia the lesbians turned cousins were Sailor Uranus and Sailor Neptune.

And I found a past posting here on the ANN forums which also mentions the gender switching I was talking about earlier. They're only boy and girl in the US version, in the original Japanese version they are of the same gender.

Yeah, Zoicite (mark 0:35). One can't really tell (some gals are just flat as a board).

On the flipside, the Japanese changed the gender of Transformers Beast Wars Airazor from female to male:

In the Japanese dub of Beast Wars, Airazor was turned into a boy as a means to (hopefully) increase toy-sales. The gender-dub was already set in place by the time the dubbers received the episodes where Tigatron and Airazor became more intimate, so Airazor's relationship with Tigatron was played off somewhat differently to avoid complaints of homosexuality. Tigatron was presented as a samurai retainer with protective feelings towards his young ward; their closeness addressed in a "brotherly" sort of way. Despite that, there was still enough innuendo left-over in their dialogue and body language for the gender-bending to become unsettling. The Japanese script's near-relentless "jokey" tone didn't help.

So you see, the Japanese aren't without sin neither. Laughing

toddc wrote:
If you plundered a local Blockbuster's anime selection long enough in the 1990s, you eventually had to watch Kimera. I'll always remember it for making me think "You know, maybe LifeForce wasn't such a terrible movie after all."

Hey, someone else remembered LifeForce! Watching all that naked space vampire sex slaughter sure burned it in a young kid's mind. Shocked

In fact, when I first encountered Elfen Lied, LifeForce was the first thing I thought of!

Anyways, I also remember avoiding Kimera because, on the contrary, changing the he into a she even made it more icky for young me. Ha ha! Laughing
Paploo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:13 am Reply with quote
I think ADV recently reissued this in a 2-pack with the also-special Blood Reign : Curse of the Yoma. You can have both for 20 bucks.

Things are made even more special by the fact that Kimera seems to have boobs and be a totally normal girl in the flashback. Note to girls- being a girl vampire sucks, don't try it. You'll get turned into a zombie manlady with a cereal fetish.
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:26 am Reply with quote
Elves wrote:
Pokemon didn't necessarily change Jame's gender, but all the homosexual hints about his character totally got thrown out the window. Heaven forbid we ever got exposed to anything even close to resembling homosexuality back then. Thank goodness we've grown.

Eh?
James was totally camp in the US version, and he regularly wore women's clothing when Team Rocket had to wear a disguise - even when he didn't really have any reason to. Many kids grew up loving the humourous way that James effeminately spoke his name during their intro sequences.

"Jesse!"
"James <3 Wink"
Evelas

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:42 am Reply with quote
Holy crap, do I remember this one. I also rented it from Blockbuster back in the '90s, along with 3x3 Eyes, back when I didn't know any better and anything remotely anime-looking was picked up and watched. Needless to say, I learned my lesson after this. I'd nearly wiped this smear from my memory until you brought it back up. Anime hyper

Last edited by Evelas on Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:44 am; edited 1 time in total
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:42 am Reply with quote
It's always nice to come across something buried that I've not seen, though garbage or not, I'm not really inclined to get a copy. Maybe if someone else has it, I'd sit down and watch it. Though, in a way, early thanks for mentioning Cybernetics Guardian; I've heard the name before but never seen it and I think it might be something I could use for a panel.

Though, purely based on the article, I think the only thing it sounds like that this is worth watching is just the inane cluster**** that comes about by cramming all of the separate plot hooks and devices together or even talking about the changes that occurred during localization.

Elves wrote:
Erm...yeah, they were doing that a lot in the 90's. Sailor Moon always pops into my mind whenever I think of any gender-changing characters just for the US. Pokemon didn't necessarily change Jame's gender, but all the homosexual hints about his character totally got thrown out the window. Heaven forbid we ever got exposed to anything even close to resembling homosexuality back then. Thank goodness we've grown.

Ah, but the difference is that those were series that were broadcast and syndicated. This was a direct-to-video release, which usually changing a character's gender was pretty rare, so it does still bear mentioning. My only idea of why they did this wasn't because of some prudish sensibility but probably to not alienate a fanbase which was predominately still high school and college aged boys/men.

Saphiro01 wrote:

In Season One of Sailor Moon there were Four Generals. Jedite, Nephrite, Zoicite, and Kunzite (Malachite). (All green gemstones including Queen Beryl). In the original manga NONE of the Generals were homosexual in insinuation or actuality. However for some reason in the anime version Zoicite and Kunzite were insinuated to be together in some way. That is Zoicite refered to Kunzite as 'Kunzite-sama' and was quite effeminate. Zoicite's gender was changed to female for the DIC dub (although 'her' chest is still flat as a board). She had blond hair and he had light blue/gray btw.

Oh, fond memories of high school. It was my second year of running the anime club and we were having an after meeting shoot-the-shit session and this guy started talking about his unhealthy obsession with Zoicite. I told him about the anime's changes, and about near ruined his world.

"Everyone needs a hobby. Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul." - [cw]Tycho Brahe.

*EDIT* Lack of coffee and a little bit of ADD - I didn't finish my story...

Last edited by SalarymanJoe on Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total
lord_darkseid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:26 am Reply with quote
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:43 am Reply with quote
Earth_Wyrm wrote:
Elves wrote:
Pokemon didn't necessarily change Jame's gender, but all the homosexual hints about his character totally got thrown out the window. Heaven forbid we ever got exposed to anything even close to resembling homosexuality back then. Thank goodness we've grown.

Eh?
James was totally camp in the US version, and he regularly wore women's clothing when Team Rocket had to wear a disguise - even when he didn't really have any reason to. Many kids grew up loving the humourous way that James effeminately spoke his name during their intro sequences.

"Jesse!"
"James <3 Wink"

Yeah, I never figured James for being gay, just a cross-dressing goofball like Bugs Bunny. Bugs Bunny dressed like a girl all the time, and nobody ever thought he was gay. James and Bugs' cross-dressing was done purely for comedy's sake, and nothing more. I always got a kick out of James, and still do to this day.

Ah for more innocent days when we didn't have to read sexuality into children's cartoons. Rolling Eyes
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:04 am Reply with quote
I always mix up Ki*Me*Ra, the ADV-released OAV adaptation of a Kazuma Kodaka Dudes Bein' Rude tale which I never saw with Kizuna, the CPM-released OAV adaptation of a Kazuma Kodaka Dudes Bein' Rude tale which I never saw. I thought it might have been the CPM trailer for Kizuna that tried to make it seem like it was a blood-and-guts action piece, but now that I see the hilarious dragon and eye trauma screenshots I'm thinking it might have been this one after all.

lord_darkseid wrote:

YOU MISSPELLED "TREASURE OF TREASURES" SIR Mad I still lament that the Media Blasters release of that manga stopped. I was buying every volume of that! Alas, I was the only one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vicserr

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:06 am Reply with quote
Thanks Justin, for reminding me why I have avoided this title like the plague for sooo long. Wink

And heck, I liked Gatchaman 93. Cool
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:36 am Reply with quote
RadicaLElly wrote:
posterior_praiser wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
It can be had for 4 bucks on Rightstuf, that price sounds about right for it.

You're being very generous my friend Anime hyper!

Amazon Marketplace has the DVD starting at 90 cents. If you think that's still being too generous, the dubbed VHS starts at 29 cents.

I wouldn't be surprised if you could literally haggle the price down to dirt and rocks.

Now I resent that- a good bag of rocks runs $3 where I work, although they do go on sale for a buck each a couple times a year. Laughing
AnimeAngel00

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:23 am Reply with quote
Saphiro01 wrote:
kamui85 wrote:
Elves wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Really? I heard they changed a pair of lesbians to cousins, but I never heard anything about the gender of a character being changed.

I admit, I'm not a huge Sailor Moon fan and didn't regularly watch the show. But if I'm thinking correctly there were two guy-evildoers (one with purple hair, the other with light blue?) where one of them was being presented as a girl when "she" was really a he (or vice versa - I don't really know which). I think it was nearer to the end of the series. But as I said, I'm not really a big fan, so I could be wrong. But I know this always raises a big stink in the fan circuts.

*Slightly off Topic*

the blue and purple hair couple were boy and girl, on the other hand on the first season, 2 of the generals were men, and they changed the brown hair one to a girl

Egads. Here's a fact check from someone who actually watched both versions of the show.

In Season One of Sailor Moon there were Four Generals. Jedite, Nephrite, Zoicite, and Kunzite (Malachite). (All green gemstones including Queen Beryl). In the original manga NONE of the Generals were homosexual in insinuation or actuality. However for some reason in the anime version Zoicite and Kunzite were insinuated to be together in some way. That is Zoicite refered to Kunzite as 'Kunzite-sama' and was quite effeminate. Zoicite's gender was changed to female for the DIC dub (although 'her' chest is still flat as a board). She had blond hair and he had light blue/gray btw.

In The fourth season of Sailor Moon, Super S There was a member of the Dead Circus named Fish Eye. He was again very effeminate in the original (and even got away with wearing a dress at one point that was very convincing, I was actually surprised to find out this character was originally male). Again for the incident with the dress and an episode involving the romancing of a boy the character was changed to a girl in the dubbed version by Cloverway. His hair was bright aqua blue.

And yes, Haruka (Amara) and Michuru (Micheal?) were pretty much full shoujo ai level in the Japanese version. If you watch Sailor Stars (or even the SuperS tv special) this is made painfully obvious. This was again altered into a really close cousin affection in the dub, which incidentally just made it creepy in it's own way. Haruka thankfully stayed 100% female. (Don't even get me started on the Sailor Starlights Anime hyper).

Thanks for the info Anime smile
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:32 am Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:

YOU MISSPELLED "TREASURE OF TREASURES" SIR Mad I still lament that the Media Blasters release of that manga stopped. I was buying every volume of that! Alas, I was the only one.

I have all of what they released, plus Baron Gong & Twin Signal Vol 1 (growl). I waited so long for Twin Signal, too.

Quote:
(Ki*Me*Ra is voiced by a woman, unlike the Japanese in which she's simply a very effeminate sounding man.)

Nobuo Tobita-Akabane/GetBackers.

Gee, I had no problem following the plot, though it REALLY, REALLY REALLY seemed to borrow heavily from Species. I found it pretty amusing they were making the character female in the dub when the action in the rape scene was pretty obviously male servicing.
You apparently missed the discussion in the car for the dub where they discuss Kimera has a working set of both genders' organs, likey as part of the invasion so the little hermaphrodite could multiply & spread the species.
Osamu is Yasunori Matsumoto-Goury/Slayers.
Kimera's b/f Kianu is Jyrouta Kosugi, who also voiced the guy with the ear of corn in Boku no Sexual Harrassment(Honma). He's also the evil doctor running the experiment in Sukisho. Also Arlong/One Piece & Sarutobi/Naruto?
It's really not that bad. I have titles I care for less in my collection, though all my yaoi has its own little shelf (& it is little because there're really so little yaoi anime. I pad out my yaoi books by including the close stuff like Hana Kimi having a gay character or GetBackers having a gay couple, but if I did that with anime, half the shonen would be over there)
The biggest drawback to Kimera was the size. There just wasn't enough time to really tell a story fully in the time alloted. This is also true for other yaoi one-shots. I Shall Never Return is very much for people familiar with the manga & thus can fill in the holes. Actually, one can argue the same for Here is Greenwood. Kimera is more in the style of anime made to appeal to fans of the manga like Greenwood & 10 Tokyo Warriors.
pparker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:36 am Reply with quote
Is it just me amongst noobs who missed the 90's that always gets an urge to buy these, just because? Smile Justin's column nearly always costs me money, but I'll try renting this one first.

The mention of Cybernetics Guardian and the linked review did send me to order that one, though. I remembered it being mentioned in the Genocyber article? Anyway, I'm completing my Koichi Ohata Trifecta of Camp (Shame?), alongside Genocyber and M.D. Geist, both a result of reading this column... it's all your fault!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5