• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Garbage - Ki•Me•Ra

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Showsni

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:42 am Reply with quote
LordPrometheus wrote:
Earth_Wyrm wrote:
Elves wrote:
Pokemon didn't necessarily change Jame's gender, but all the homosexual hints about his character totally got thrown out the window. Heaven forbid we ever got exposed to anything even close to resembling homosexuality back then. Thank goodness we've grown.

Eh?
James was totally camp in the US version, and he regularly wore women's clothing when Team Rocket had to wear a disguise - even when he didn't really have any reason to. Many kids grew up loving the humourous way that James effeminately spoke his name during their intro sequences.

"Jesse!"
"James <3 Wink"

Yeah, I never figured James for being gay, just a cross-dressing goofball like Bugs Bunny. Bugs Bunny dressed like a girl all the time, and nobody ever thought he was gay. James and Bugs' cross-dressing was done purely for comedy's sake, and nothing more. I always got a kick out of James, and still do to this day.

Ah for more innocent days when we didn't have to read sexuality into children's cartoons. Rolling Eyes

He might be a bit effeminate, but I don't think he's gay.

He even ends up married to Jessie in one of the manga...

Vicserr

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:02 pm Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
The mention of Cybernetics Guardian and the linked review did send me to order that one, though. I remembered it being mentioned in the Genocyber article? Anyway, I'm completing my Koichi Ohata Trifecta of Camp (Shame?), alongside Genocyber and M.D. Geist, both a result of reading this column... it's all your fault!

You might want to add Blue Gender, Burst Angel and Sadamitsu the Destroyer so you can continue to spread the Koichi Ohata Gospel Wink
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Don't forget "Cardcaptors" people Smile All traces of homosexuality gone...
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Gay alien vampires...Uh...um...Errr...wow. I know yaoi anime is a rarity in and of itself, but if this is the best they can come up with, no wonder. I guess the fangirls' only source for hot man love is the substantial number of yaoi manga out there. I heard Kizuna was excrement, too (Mike Toole suffered through it, poor SOB), so I take it gay-man-love anime in general just isn't very good.

Also this is the hardest a Buried Garbage has made me laugh in a while
pparker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Vicserr wrote:
pparker wrote:
The mention of Cybernetics Guardian and the linked review did send me to order that one, though. I remembered it being mentioned in the Genocyber article? Anyway, I'm completing my Koichi Ohata Trifecta of Camp (Shame?), alongside Genocyber and M.D. Geist, both a result of reading this column... it's all your fault!

You might want to add Blue Gender, Burst Angel and Sadamitsu the Destroyer so you can continue to spread the Koichi Ohata Gospel Wink

AGGGGGH! Blue Gender bought blindly went right on eBay after Vol 1 or 2 and reading no hope of Frodo, I mean whatsisname, ever becoming the least bit less annoying (I thought NO ONE could top Shinji), or the story being worth suffering through any more of it. I didn't even bother trying to find the apparent sex scene in later volumes. Burst Angel? Meh. Nice art, but not worth keeping on the shelf. Might rent the rest of it one day.

But Sadamitsu the Destroyer sounds like just the type title I should check out Smile
LondinCalling

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:10 pm Reply with quote
I remember renting this crap.
sepherest

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:45 pm Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
Is it just me amongst noobs who missed the 90's that always gets an urge to buy these, just because? Smile Justin's column nearly always costs me money, but I'll try renting this one first.

I admit I bought Garzey's Wing after seeing the video included in it's column.
Which was totally worth the $3 it cost.
I want to pick this one up now.
I have to say it's not the first terrible yaoi/bl OVA from the nineties, but the whole alien-vampires-transgendered dub makes it a must.
Vicserr

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:59 pm Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
Vicserr wrote:
pparker wrote:

AGGGGGH! Blue Gender bought blindly went right on eBay after Vol 1 or 2 and reading no hope of Frodo, I mean whatsisname, ever becoming the least bit less annoying (I thought NO ONE could top Shinji), or the story being worth suffering through any more of it. I didn't even bother trying to find the apparent sex scene in later volumes. Burst Angel? Meh. Nice art, but not worth keeping on the shelf. Might rent the rest of it one day.

Yuji does get over it after they spoiler[manage to get to the space station] but then Marlene goes down the deep end, Blue Gender: The Warrior movie might be more palatable to you.

Quote:
But Sadamitsu the Destroyer sounds like just the type title I should check out Smile

Sadamitsu The Destoyer is a great series, mixing Juvenile Delinquent archetypes with classic tokusatsu Metal Sheriff storytelling.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
I guess the fangirls' only source for hot man love is the substantial number of yaoi manga out there. I heard Kizuna was excrement, too (Mike Toole suffered through it, poor SOB), so I take it gay-man-love anime in general just isn't very good.
Of course Kimera is by no means representative of yaoi anime (thank god), especially not nowadays. I think the problem with OVAs is that they usually seem to be assuming that the audience has already read a (probably multivolume) manga series, already knows what's going on and why, and just wants to see it in animated form. So as stand alone stories, many fall short (and I don't think that problem is exclusive to yaoi OVAs, either). They're just trying to cram too much in (sometimes literally Laughing ). But now that the field has opened up to full 12-24 episode TV series (a la Junjou Romantica, Sukisho!!, Gakuen Heaven, etc.), they can take more time to develop the story.

Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Gay alien vampires...Uh...um...Errr...wow. I know yaoi anime is a rarity in and of itself, but if this is the best they can come up with, no wonder.
Kimera aside, speaking of gay vampires, this has got me thinking I'd love to see Vassalord in OVA or series form, if Nanae Chrono would ever finish the manga...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RedHotFunk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:53 pm Reply with quote
"I am no WOMAN"

Ahh, for once, I can stretch that lotr quote Anime hyper
B-503_MIA

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:47 pm Reply with quote
toddc wrote:
If you plundered a local Blockbuster's anime selection long enough in the 1990s, you eventually had to watch Kimera. I'll always remember it for making me think "You know, maybe LifeForce wasn't such a terrible movie after all."

Ummm, LifeForce was totally worth it for the naked alien vampire girl, she was incredibly hot Shocked &, not to forget, naked for the whole movie Very Happy Dammit, now I'm off to wiki to find out what else she was in...

KIMERA, yeah I remember that one too... My then girlfriend (now wife) was a fan of all things vampire & we got sucked in by the pretty box, adding a vampire storyline on the box notes sealed the deal. Still remember getting to the end & wondering "Is that it??"
21stcenturydigitalboy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:39 pm Reply with quote
man, a full genderswap, that's just embarrassing. I think that actually happened in Naruto when Orochimaru was taking over that person's body... stop looking at me funny.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
pparker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Vicserr wrote:
pparker wrote:

Sadamitsu The Destoyer is a great series, mixing Juvenile Delinquent archetypes with classic tokusatsu Metal Sheriff storytelling.

Yeah, I did a little research, and the order is placed. Key's review and the "peppy Spanish guitar and trumpet tunes" in a sci-fi battle flick sold it pretty easily. Thanks.

I'll stick the BG movie on the rental queue, at the end, on page 2, and we'll see. I still have unresolved trauma from loss of life--mine that is. Smile
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:57 pm Reply with quote
BTW, I KNOW anime have done a gender-switch with key characters before...but this was mostly when they felt the need to sanitize and censor it. What other shows have done this kinda thing?
Eruanna

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Elves wrote:
Unholy_Nny wrote:
They seriously changed the dude to a girl for the dub?

Really?

Erm...yeah, they were doing that a lot in the 90's. Sailor Moon always pops into my mind whenever I think of any gender-changing characters just for the US. Pokemon didn't necessarily change Jame's gender, but all the homosexual hints about his character totally got thrown out the window. Heaven forbid we ever got exposed to anything even close to resembling homosexuality back then. Thank goodness we've grown.

Pokemon
did change a characers gender in the Raikou special though. The Team Rocket member, Bashou, was apparently thought to be too girly looking, so they changed him to a girl in the english dub. They also changed his/her name to Hun.
I remember this well because when the subs were cirulating, I saw many screencaps of Bashou and fell right in love with him, even though I hadnt seen the special. (This was of course back in the days when I was a silly fangirl, and easily developed crushes on girly looking villains) only to have a friend tell me later when the special was dubbed and aired that I had been crushing on a girl! Wtf?

Hehe, anyways about Ki*Me*Ra... aaahahaha. I love vampires, so Iv made it a goal of mine to watch all vampire related anime evso er (which, by the way, is most about the same quality as this one. Vampires dont get a very good showing in anime) so I have seen this title... yeah, it was pretty bad. I had no idea that Kimeras gender had been changed... I only saw the dub, so I just thought it was kinda odd/dumb that they had what was clearly a man being insisted as being a girl (but what could I say to the contrary, we never did get to see his/her bits so who can say?)
The movie was really quite horrible, but to be fair to it, not nearly as horrible as Vampire Wars.
Okay, actually on second thought, they are pretty much on par.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5