• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Garbage - Ki•Me•Ra

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
To those who've said they could have sworn they saw a review for Apocalypse Zero here: apparently Carlo Santos reviewed the first volume of the manga.

animenewsnetwork.com/review/apocalypse-zero-gn-1

Probably what most of you are thinking about.

Another reason I pay little attention to the opinions of "critics". They're people like the rest of us & most have no extra expertise in the field other than they're getting paid for voicing their opinion. The manga & the anime for Apocalypse Zero are too much fun to read.

Kimera isn't that bad, either. It depends on what you're looking for. I can't believe the state of TV in America these days. When I was young we had actual shows with plots(not all good, but someone was paid to write them) & not all this "reality" crap everyone else finds so interesting.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As they make a break for it, Osamu stumbled across what appears to be a cryogenic sleep capsule, and inside is a very pretty naked man woman with green hair, pointy fingernails, and no visible genitalia. He's instantly entranced by her/him/it.

Whenever I see stuff like that in anime, I often like to think of this phrase...
"Miss, you lack DEFINITION, but who cares!"

Quote:
Yasuomi Umetsu, but admittedly Ki*Me*Ra was made during that uncomfortable period in the mid 90s in which he seems to have made nothing of value whatsoever (like the new Gatchaman OAV series, for example).

God don't remind me (yes i hate it)!

Quote:
But perhaps most importantly, I've learned that I used to have really, really low standards for entertainment.

We all had. But then we learn! Cool

Elves wrote:
Unholy_Nny wrote:
They seriously changed the dude to a girl for the dub?

Really?

Erm...yeah, they were doing that a lot in the 90's. Sailor Moon always pops into my mind whenever I think of any gender-changing characters just for the US. Pokemon didn't necessarily change Jame's gender, but all the homosexual hints about his character totally got thrown out the window. Heaven forbid we ever got exposed to anything even close to resembling homosexuality back then. Thank goodness we've grown.

Still have yet to see the cartoon that is geared to kids with messages like that.

CCSYueh wrote:
Kimera isn't that bad, either. It depends on what you're looking for. I can't believe the state of TV in America these days. When I was young we had actual shows with plots(not all good, but someone was paid to write them) & not all this "reality" crap everyone else finds so interesting.

Well welcome to the club, I've stopped watching TV regularly about a decade ago, and I've never looked back since! Razz
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:10 am Reply with quote
Elves wrote:
Pokemon didn't necessarily change Jame's gender, but all the homosexual hints about his character totally got thrown out the window.

Don't forget some of the more "provocative" Cross-Dressing tendencies as well.
GuyvarIII

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:39 am Reply with quote
It has been a while since I saw it, but I liked Ki-Me-Ra.

The story is a schlock “damsel in distress” type plot, with Kimera being held captive by an evil amorphous military institution. To drive home the “captive princess” feel, “she” is even shown in a flash-back as a “princess” in a pedestrian pseudo-medieval world, with the man who is essentially her “knight”, Kianu.

But, I thought the execution of the story was very interesting. How the OVA took this contrived story and tweaked, distorted, and deformed it. Kimera wants to be dead after seeing her mother, and witnessing what will be her horror of motherhood. All her real love, Kianu, can do is try and kill her. And the one who saves her from death is cereal salesman Osamu, who only yearns for her with an obsessive fetishism.

Because of the story, which revolves around spawning and offspring during its climax and dénouement, it is hard for me to see Kimera as an effeminized yaoi male. I thought “her” androgynous look only added to the Anime’s odd and creepy depiction of what sexual yearning is, shown in Osamu’s strange desire. That he really does want Kimera, no matter what. The alien vampire explanation of what Kimera is … is very silly. However, I did enjoy that her perceived passive nature belied her true existence as a human eating monster.

What I don’t like about this show is the synthesizer Grieg, and I can’t say anything good about it.

Though many of these kinds of Anime have flaws, I miss this, and those other similar one shot OVAs, which gave short unique viewpoints on rehashed plots and themes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5