• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volibear

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:09 am Reply with quote

Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero (TV)

Genres: action, comedy, drama, fantasy, romance
Themes: alternate dimension, ecchi, fanservice, harem, inter-dimensional travel, superpowers

Plot Summary: Known as a Rogue Hero in the fantasy world Arezard, Akatsuki decided to take upon the request of the defeated Demon King to take his daughter with him. After bringing her back to the world he came from, Akatsuki brought her to join Babel, an academy-like organization that specializes in training those who came from the other world.
----------------------------------

Ep.1
Quite the odd way to start a series, with an spoiler[ending, defeating the Demon King and the sad goodbye to the princess as you must return to your own world].And then you find out our guy has quite literally spoiler[bagged himself another girl anyway].

I think i'll stick with this, there seems to be a legit story going on here along with some light comedy and the occassional ecchi moment, rather than it being just a flimsy idea to supplement too much ecchi, comedy and cheesy high school romance (i'm looking at you High School DxD). It works well, the story seems to take precedence over all the other parts, although for some people it could be the other parts that keep them interested.

Characters are better than average i feel, Akatsuki may be spoiler[a bit of a perv with his Sleight Of Hand] but he seems to be more focused on spoiler[being a serious hero character than another pervy protagonist].

I think i'll see where this goes in the next 2 or so episodes, if things don't deteriorate then i'll see this through, there seems to be enough substance here that it can manage to be a successful series it if it tries to.

*i'll edit the summary in a while too, some of the spelling are wrong i think
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:19 am Reply with quote
At first I was confused of why he would have spoiler[some random girl from the other world, who's name he did not even know. But when he mentioned finding who she really is could be bad, I quickly put the pieces together and figured that she was the daughter of the demon king, and he took pity and took her with him.] Following the end of an RPG story is an interesting idea, an interesting way to set it up, even if I am not too large a fan of the pervert protagonist, giving him some confidence could be good.

I am actually reminded of Demon King Daimao, I kind of like the ecchi they had, but hopefully it will not fall apart like Daimao did. Not enough to really judge the characters by this episode, and I don't know if the other world characters will even show up again.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:07 am Reply with quote
On the one hand, I have to admit appreciating a male protagonist who responds to sexual situations without incredible awkwardness. I get the feeling he doesn't respond to such situations with "I need to escape as soon as possible," but rather "I'm gonna get some!" and he has the confidence to actually pull it off. I'm reminded of some of the campier James Bond movies.

On the other hand, I'm not sure this episode showed anything else redeeming. It looked like crap, it moved like crap and nothing interesting happened. Too bad that "confident male protagonist" is enough to keep me watching, so I'll just have to suffer through it.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm stuck as to what to think of the show. Other than the fact that I enjoyed it, I'm left speechless about my thoughts. I like the concept of traveling to game universes and the character designs. Akatsuki is on the "alpha" spectrum of main characters so I appreciate his character more. I love the fanservice and the glorious uncensored tits but I think it makes me think less of the show.

I guess I'll be looking forward for the next episodes. I'll probably tag along for the story and tits. I feel like I'm having a lot of fun watching this.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:35 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

I am actually reminded of Demon King Daimao, I kind of like the ecchi they had, but hopefully it will not fall apart like Daimao did. Not enough to really judge the characters by this episode, and I don't know if the other world characters will even show up again.

Yeah I was also reminded of Demon King Daimao. I like these type of male protagonists. The strong type who don't give a damn like Kazuma from Kaze no Stigma.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:59 pm Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
I'm stuck as to what to think of the show. Other than the fact that I enjoyed it, I'm left speechless about my thoughts. I like the concept of traveling to game universes and the character designs. Akatsuki is on the "alpha" spectrum of main characters so I appreciate his character more. I love the fanservice and the glorious uncensored tits but I think it makes me think less of the show.

I guess I'll be looking forward for the next episodes. I'll probably tag along for the story and tits. I feel like I'm having a lot of fun watching this.

Tbh, I'm sort of on the same boat as you. I originally had much higher expectation for this series as I'm into sci-fi type of anime genres involving action.

Akatsuki seems to be a rather independent and self lead so we don't have the usual wimpy protagonist. Something from this episode didn't click with me though. I think it might of been either the flow or execution of this first episode. So basically going to stay with the story and hope it'll be something worth to talk about.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Volibear

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Something from this episode didn't click with me though. I think it might of been either the flow or execution of this first episode. So basically going to stay with the story and hope it'll be something worth to talk about.

after rewatching it i'm kinda feeling both may have contributed, the flow wasn't all that smooth and starting the way it did it kinda faultered the rest of the episode afterwards, it kinda just never allowed itself to set any kind of atmosphere down
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:35 am Reply with quote
I liked it. Good escapist fare, if you ask me. I'm assuming there will be more than just 4 episodes as indicated by the ANN Encyclopedia?
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:17 am Reply with quote
wow yea indeed only words on it YES YES YES & feel saying ONORE DECADE on this feeling vibe on it.

spoiler[
so main guy bit like a Just a “maverick hero” passing through, remember that! that pwn’d all maid corps by taking their undies then enter gate to return home.
but the bag carry got a girl wearing nothing!!!
cause people travel to alternate world who later to real world keep their powers from other world.
so main guy have girl pretend be sister all check then enter a test.
with other hmm on main guy’s “powers” & “supreme king” so send guy with ice power council member (if he sparkle same voice as Edward Cullen in japanese twilight dub)
main guy pwn’d ice to shatter all good big meal & remind protect the girl.
]

so yea main guy really bit remind of DECADE yet so MANLY bit perv as well ok then wonder what next?
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

LOL this dude is just crazy and thats in a good way. He gives no @$#@ and does whatever he pleases. So we meet the other 3 heroines. We have a lesbian tomboy type, a young genius girl, and a self righteous, I assume, vice president. So unless the president is the villain of the series, one has not been revealed so far.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:02 am Reply with quote
2eps of this already more going ONORE Akatsuki really like do whatever he wants & get away like yea screw all rules i do what i want in any way.

spoiler[
yea sure sleepwalking attack on myuu give mention sister but his real little sister is gone so attack cue clock bash.
first day of school take any seat, beat up a bully, get called student members council, steal more undies with pwn'd big green hair.
yea gym time oh Rin Tohsaka's voice is a lesbian cue door lock.
small green kana need toilet yet ONORE Akatsuki also make lesbian & myuu also toilet time too.
cue all 3 girls get WET after which 3 form alliance to stop DECADE aka Akatsuki.
]

Indeed really main guy really sure do whatever he wants & get away with hmm more what make him like that?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:01 am Reply with quote
I like this guy, his spoiler[beating of the red haired bully] just made think was awesome.

As I mentioned in the awesome button topic, I really like people who can act like big demons, but do it for the right reason, and so far he really comes across as that type of character. I am not usually a fan of the perverted protagonist trope, but I am not hating his style of spoiler[taking that girls underwear as a "prank"]. Kind of using their pride against them, which is actually humorous, interested to see where it goes.

Now should I say that I am liking the ecchi of this series, some of it is barely above hentai. Oh, and tomboy lesbian is great, I hope that one scene will not be a one scene wonder.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Who knew that the human hand could serve so many purposes?

Akatsuki is the hero harems deserve.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I love booby shows that do exciting things with their characters, Arms is keeping things on par here.

DuskyPredator wrote:
Now should I say that I am liking the ecchi of this series, some of it is barely above hentai. Oh, and tomboy lesbian is great, I hope that one scene will not be a one scene wonder.

It reminded me of the other roll in the hay scene from Ladies Versus Butlers. That it's not an explicit ero anime means it retains a nice budget, the show looks great for what it's trying to achieve.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

I am loving this Akatsuki guy more and more with each episode. He is the ultimate badass. Bullying the bully. One thing I noticed though is the background characters do not move at all in some scenes... Like in the cafeteria scene, everyone was frozen in place except Akatsuki, the red head, and the guy with the bangs.

I also love the lesbian girl. When she took advantage of Miu in the room was hilarious.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4