• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sailor Moon Manga Gets New Anime in Summer 2013

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zeonozero

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:18 am Reply with quote
This is some of the most awesome news i have heard in a while. Even though it is a year away, I'm going to be looking forward to it all the time
DRWii

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:22 am Reply with quote
Geez, right on the heel of the new "Lupin III" ending we get an announcement of new TV anime for "JoJo" and "Sailor Moon?" Is there some renaissance of oldschool manga going on? It's enough to almost make me cross my fingers for another "Glass Mask."

Anyway, "Sailor Moon." I've only seen the first series so far, but my one major issue with it was that Usagi was insanely annoying. If they can just fix that, I'll be quite pleased. Too bad I'll have to wait a year to find out. Rolling Eyes
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:26 am Reply with quote
ALL OF MY YES!!!!!!!
Myaow

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:34 am Reply with quote
SHRIEK

I wonder what it means by "targeted at older fans" though?
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:38 am Reply with quote
I've never been a great fan of magical girl shows or Sailor Moon; they always feel outside of my demographic, one way or another, and I'm old enough now that the idea seems a little creepy. (Not that any of that has stopped some people) Nevertheless, I am a little excited about this. I can't deny having watched quite a few episodes of the original when it first appeared in some pretty wee hours of the morning, I believe that it was on on channel eleven, and later on Toonami. It was one of the few sources of anime I had at the time and later on, there was morbid curiosity.

More than that, I can appreciate the enthusiasm of the franchise's fans. I've certainly gotten a sense of how important this series was to many people in its time. That kind of bright enthusiasm is very infectious.

I hope that they rope together a good crew for this. I'd hate to see such high spirits disappointed. (Wouldn't it be fun if this were Sayo Yamamoto and Mari Okada's next project after Lupin III ~The Woman Called Fujiko Mine~? Well, okay, maybe just to me. I suppose that they'll justifiably want this played straight)

Myaow wrote:
...I wonder what it means by "targeted at older fans" though?

Perhaps they will try to appeal to nostalgic fans who loved the original when they were children. We're probably about on time for nineties nostalgia. I'm not sure how they will realize an more mature version of Sailor Moon. Perhaps by including some more sophisticated, relevant themes? Like having Chibi-usa be aborted before she enter the series.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DRWii

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:39 am Reply with quote
Myaow wrote:
I wonder what it means by "targeted at older fans" though?

Fans who were kids when the manga was still being serialized? Or even when the anime was still airing?
Illusionary_Systems

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:40 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Well, the internet's gonna be unusable in a year. I wonder what it'll look like, there's no way they're using the old 90s designs exactly, every retro anime's updated them so far.

The 90s designs are fine. While indeed many have made the character designs more 'current' not every anime has done this. The design team for the recent Lupin III series, for example, actually went back to the original designs.

Megiddo wrote:
...Ikuhara take the director's chair...
While that would be fun, there's definitely no chance of it happening.
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:45 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
I've never been a great fan of magical girl shows or Sailor Moon; they always feel outside of my demographic, one way or another, and I'm old enough now that the idea seems a little creepy. (Not that any of that has stopped some people) Nevertheless, I am a little excited about this. I can't deny having watched quite a few episodes of the original when it first appeared in some pretty wee hours of the morning, I believe that it was on on channel eleven, and later on Toonami. It was one of the few sources of anime I had at the time and later on, there was morbid curiosity.

More than that, I can appreciate the enthusiasm of the franchise's fans. I've certainly gotten a sense of how important this series was to many people in its time. That kind of bright enthusiasm is very infectious.

I'd say that Sailor Moon is just one of those things you have to check out, whether you like it or not, in order to see and understand what it did for the industry as a whole in both Japan and America. =3

Excited as I'll ever be~
Illusionary_Systems

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:46 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
(Wouldn't it be fun if this were Sayo Yamamoto and Marik Okada's next project after Lupin III ~The Woman Called Fujiko Mine~? Well, okay, maybe just to me. I suppose that they'll justifiably want this played straight)

No I agree that would be pretty neat.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:52 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Chappers wrote:
Well, this may explain why Funimation hasn't rescued the original series.

There's also a bit of competition for the original series as well. Funimation isn't the only company interested in it. However, a new series could hold up things for a bit now.
Unless Discotheque really wants to throw all the good will they have by dying, I don't think they're in a rush to get Sailor Moon.

And ADV are, well, ADV.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:55 am Reply with quote
Oh yes! I putting this one on my watch list for next year.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:56 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Chappers wrote:

There's also a bit of competition for the original series as well. Funimation isn't the only company interested in it. However, a new series could hold up things for a bit now.
Unless Discotheque really wants to throw all the good will they have by dying, I don't think they're in a rush to get Sailor Moon.

And ADV are, well, ADV.

Well, I doubt DiscoTek would have the resources to go after it, and ADV hasn't licensed anything new in several years now. They only exist as a label on older titles. However, DiscoTek and Funimation are hardly the only anime companies in R1.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:01 am Reply with quote
Illusionary_Systems wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
...Ikuhara take the director's chair...
While that would be fun, there's definitely no chance of it happening.

Why would that be? Is it because he's only directed a small handful of TV anime ever since his role with Sailor Moon? Or are you doubting he'll return to being involved with the franchise due to the apparent lack of creative control he had over the series (which brought him to forming Be-Papas?)

Never been a great Sailor Moon fan, but I've definitely enjoyed a good share of it. I remember what little I've seen of Sailor Moon S as being pretty tight... and it seems that the common consensus that that season was the best, right? With that kind of pedigree, maybe Ikuhara would be invited back on board. If Ikuhara was attached somehow, I'd know I'd be more excited about this!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kicksville

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:02 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
And ADV are, well, ADV.
Well, I doubt DiscoTek would have the resources to go after it, and ADV hasn't licensed anything new in several years now. They only exist as a label on older titles. However, DiscoTek and Funimation are hardly the only anime companies in R1.

Let's not kid ourselves, Char can put on some shades and call himself Quattro, but we know who it is. And Sentai...
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:05 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Chappers wrote:

And ADV are, well, ADV.

Just the only two worth a damn these days.

And ADV is ADV is ADV. Also, a Zombie.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 22