• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
FUNimation Oct / Nov / Dec 2012 Solicitations

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Hmm...this presents a a problem as I didn't order set 1 of Hellsing Ultimate because I already had the 4 Geneon steelbooks. I guess I'll be putting the 4th steelbook in there to fill the space or something. Confused

I guess not since the box is BD sized. Well at least it hogs less space than 4 more steelbooks would have. Anime cry
doubleO7

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Kruszer wrote:
Hmm...this presents a a problem as I didn't order set 1 of Hellsing Ultimate because I already had the 4 Geneon steelbooks. I guess I'll be putting the 4th steelbook in there to fill the space or something. Confused

I guess not since the box is BD sized. Well at least it hogs less space than 4 more steelbooks would have. Anime cry

You can just stick FUNi's eventual release of Episodes 9&10 in there.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Hmm...that's true, but unfortunately that's probably going to be a long wait.
PrecisionCrab

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:01 pm Reply with quote
I've already made my distaste for that ugly ass box set apparent, but I do have one more question: I've read that The Dawn in this set isn't dubbed. True? Or filthy, filthy lies?
WTK

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:19 pm Reply with quote
PrecisionCrab

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Thank you all for answering my question. It totally opened my mind to new possibilities.
varmintx

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:53 pm Reply with quote
What are the audio specs for Lain?
WTK

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:13 pm Reply with quote
via RACS
Quote:
Is This A Zombie? Season 1 DVD Collection (Eps #1-13) (Limited Edition) - Dec 4 to Dec 11
Certain Magical Index Season 1 Part 1 Collection DVD (Eps #1-12) - Dec 11 to Dec 18
Certain Magical Index Season 1 Part 2 Collection DVD (Eps #13-24) - Dec 11 to Dec 18
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:59 pm Reply with quote
WTK wrote:
via RACS
Quote:
Is This A Zombie? Season 1 DVD Collection (Eps #1-13) (Limited Edition) - Dec 4 to Dec 11
Certain Magical Index Season 1 Part 1 Collection DVD (Eps #1-12) - Dec 11 to Dec 18
Certain Magical Index Season 1 Part 2 Collection DVD (Eps #13-24) - Dec 11 to Dec 18

Eh.... At least those delay's are only by a week. And odds are they'll ship out two weeks before then anyways.
WTK

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:26 pm Reply with quote
via TFP forums (Serial Experiments Lain)
Kakugo wrote:
As promised, here's some quick comparisons for episode 1:

JP BLU-RAY 01
US BLU-RAY 01

JP BLU-RAY 02
US BLU-RAY 02

JP BLU-RAY 03
US BLU-RAY 03

What. The. F***.

A+ packaging, funky shiny spot or no. Middling C video, maybe. Of all the titles that needed a pair of BD50s, this was the one, and somehow it went to Sora no Otoshimono instead... fantastic. :relief:

Reported issues with the art booklet from four different people (via TFP forums):
Quote:
I have a funky "shiny" triangle on the spine of my art booklet... almost looks like somebody got a corner of sticky tape on it during production. I'll be curious if anyone else has random glossy spots, or if this was some bizarre one-in-a-million fork up.

Quote:
I have a "shiny" square spot on the spine of my art book. Just received my copy and noticed it under the plastic. Thought it was just some dirt which wouldn't be the first time. I think that's what is under the texture feel of the art book, that glossy stuff. I've seen it before like that. I don't think it's worth the trouble or hassle of getting a return or replacement.

heres a picture of mine, you should be able to see it.

Quote:
My artbook has something that looks similar to what's in your picture, only a bit thinner and more oblong. I gently nudged it with a fingernail to see if it was some glue or plastic that would come off, and some thin skrinkwrap like stuff seemed to be coming off leaving under it an even shinier spot. For a minute it looked like the black coating of the spine itself was lifting off, but now it looks like it might just be a slight defect with the cover's thin matte plastic coating. A small blemish to be sure, but I also don't think I'll bother attempting to get a replacement.

Quote:
My copy, now that I've taken a look, has the same sort of chip or nick or scratched-off spot on the spine of the book, also in a slightly different location and a slightly different shape. I chose those terms because that's what it is, a removal of the outer coating on the book's cover.

Given that now four of us have noticed such a defect, of different shapes and in different locations but all still on the spines of the artbook, I'd have to say that it's a manufacturing defect, caused by equipment, that occurred either during the mass production of the books at the printer, or during the packing and shrinkwrapping process of the entire set at the replicator.

Kind of tough to catch, given how (relatively) small a batch of these items FUNimation had had made, and not likely enough to elicit a replacement program or even a response. But hopefully something they can take notice of (please, folks, send them e-mails or post on Facebook or dispatch a carrier pigeon) and work to prevent, or at the very least call up their vendors and have a "WTF did we pay you for" phone call. Particularly if they're going to ever be doing such things again. And especially given that they're considering future extra-special LE items. Because let's face it, the Venn diagram that depicts folks who like and are willing to pay for extra-special LE releases, and the folks who notice production defects and have a problem with such things, has quite a bit of overlap.

Another potential issue:

https://twitter.com/to_aru_Oni/status/273281315632201729
Quote:
Whoa...a few days after I unwrapped my Lain BD set and the chipboard artwork is peeling off! Anyone else having this issue?

https://twitter.com/to_aru_Oni/status/273283514424758272
Quote:
oriana3k

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Has anyone here gotten Level E from RightStuf and can shed some light on the as yet unannounced gift with purchase? Mine came in the other day, and I'm not sure if the gift was included. I didn't find anything sitting separately in the box, and I was hoping to avoid opening the plastic on the DVDs to check there since it was purchased as a gift for someone else.
WTK

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:51 am Reply with quote
via TRSI (Level E)
Quote:
While supplies last, customers ordering this set will also receive a slap bracelet featuring the Prince and the Color Rangers!
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:01 am Reply with quote
Oriana3k wrote:
Has anyone here gotten Level E from RightStuf and can shed some light on the as yet unannounced gift with purchase? Mine came in the other day, and I'm not sure if the gift was included. I didn't find anything sitting separately in the box, and I was hoping to avoid opening the plastic on the DVDs to check there since it was purchased as a gift for someone else.

I can't speak for every item made, but as far as I can recall, every free gift I've gotten from RightStuf was packaged separately from the item it was included with.

My copy of Lain is on its way, I'm less concerned about minor packaging defects compared to the quality of screenshots :/
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:52 am Reply with quote
I received my copy of the Serial Experiments Lain box set last week, I have not watched any of it yet but there are no marks or flaws whatsoever on my copy of the artbook. I was a bit disappointed that all the images are black & white (there is a separate booklet with an interview that has a few color pages).

I guess the little Lain sticker (I think that's what it is) that I almost missed in the packaging is the "special gift" with purchase. Whoop-de-goddamn-do.

The improved picture quality was my main reason for double-dipping. The artbox is nice (though I might have preferred another image for the cover) and so far no issues with any peeling.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:57 am Reply with quote
My copy of Serial Experiments Lain has wrinkles up and down the spine of the booklet. It's definitely a manufacturing flaw and annoying, but not enough to get me to send it back. No peeling of the artwork off the box that I've noticed. Yea the "special gift" of a sticker is a bit underwhelming. I'm also not a fan of sticking 7 episodes on a single DVD disk. Luckily, I mainly got it for the BD upgrade. I wouldn't mind Funi putting out more sets with a few more extras like this one. Overall I'm satisfied with the packaging, but I also agree with OldCharlie and wish they had used a different image for the cover.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 17