• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
FUNimation Oct / Nov / Dec 2012 Solicitations

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gatherum

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:20 pm Reply with quote
When something that already had a BD/DVD release, such as Ge Rei: Zero is re-released, yet not on a Classics line or similar, should that be taken to mean that there are changes and/or improvements to it over the previous release?
WTK

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Gatherum wrote:
When something that already had a BD/DVD release, such as Ge Rei: Zero is re-released, yet not on a Classics line or similar, should that be taken to mean that there are changes and/or improvements to it over the previous release?

Ga-Rei-Zero is a different case than pretty much all other combo releases. The original release (at least the LE) felt like a rushed product back then. In some ways (not the on-disc content), it didn't feel like a Blu-ray release. The Blu-ray and DVD discs are mixed in the cases. Those are some of the stuff I remembered. That's why I referred this as a guinea pig release. This was a combo re-release that I was expecting ($5 drop in MSRP, but cheaper to produce the release).
Gatherum

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:08 am Reply with quote
The blu-ray/DVD releases have always been mixed in their cases. The only difference between Ga-rei: Zero and the rest is the case sizing: they're in DVD cases, as opposed to blu-ray cases.

I'll admit that the LE wasn't that extraordinary, especially considering that it's very difficult to differentiate the two when ordering it outside of TRSI, though I can always appreciate a sturdier box. I somehow managed to find it on Amazon, but I was hard-pressed trying to find a box comparison.

I suppose it would be worth a double-dib if they added or altered things on it to make it worth it. Improved translations, a better audio/visual master, some extra goodies in the box...

But I'm not counting on it.
WTK

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:42 am Reply with quote
Gatherum wrote:
The blu-ray/DVD releases have always been mixed in their cases. The only difference between Ga-rei: Zero and the rest is the case sizing: they're in DVD cases, as opposed to blu-ray cases.

Early days yes, but FUNimation has been putting the DVDs in one case and Blu-ray discs in one for the LEs.

You can also tell that the LE artbox was originally planned for the DVD only SKU (this series originally had 4 SKUs planned: DVD, DVD LE, Blu-ray, Blu-ray LE). There is no Blu-ray logo on the chipboard artbox (it was mentioned on the back info sheet).
Quote:
I suppose it would be worth a double-dib if they added or altered things on it to make it worth it. Improved translations, a better audio/visual master, some extra goodies in the box...

This re-release is pretty much guaranteed to be in Blu-ray sized rather than DVD sized . Otherwise we shouldn't see any difference on the on-disc contents.
WTK

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:58 am Reply with quote
via FUNimation.com
Quote:
Strike Witches - Season 2 Blu-ray + DVD Combo - Available October 2nd

Do you remember the War on Pants? Here's a link to the YouTube video from a while back to refresh your memory. That was a fun little choose your own adventure. Thankfully, enough of you voted that I live .... so here I am.

Well, the war on pants continues! Strike Witches Season 2 will be available on Blu-ray + DVD Combo on October 2nd (or December 31st?).

EDIT: the text "(or December 31st?)" was removed from posting.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:10 am Reply with quote
WTK wrote:

Strike Witches - Season 2 Blu-ray + DVD Combo - Available October 2nd.

Funimation must have fought long and hard for that Blu-Ray; The box art's up on Amazon and it's BDs and DVDs in BD cases; I guess they must have been ready with those for awhile.
WTK

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:47 pm Reply with quote
via TRSI
Quote:
FUNimation Adjusts Release Date for SHAKUGAN NO SHANA, Season 2 to Dec. 2012
Posted on: Monday, August 6, 2012

FUNimation updated the release date for Shakugan no Shana, Season 2, Parts 1 and 2, which will now street on December 11, 2012. Purchase the Season 2 bundle from RightStuf.com, and while supplies last, receive a “to be announced” gift with purchase. (Parts 1 and 2 are also available individually, but to receive the free gift, you must purchase the bundle.) Shakugan no Shana, Season 2 is currently available for pre-order.
WTK

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:09 pm Reply with quote
via TRSI...

Xanas

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Ahh, that's annoying.. but whatever, as long as they are still doing it then it's better than what we had before...
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Boy, I'm gonna have to ask TRSI to modify a lot of orders. I have to now combine Is This a Zombie with Shana 2, Strikes Witches 2 with One Piece V4P2, and I might as well break Freezing off of my Zombie order. Probably combine my One Piece binder with Freezing, too. I have to switch around payment methods. It might be easy for Funimation to push back a date, and it might not effect people that only have that one item in an order, but for people like me who bulk order, this is incredibly annoying.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Sucks that Shana 2 got bumped back, but at least that saves me some cash in September which will be an expensive month.
WTK

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

While supplies last, customers ordering this set will also receive a free gift with purchase (details to be announced)!

Contains episodes 1-11.

Special Features: Commentary for Episodes 5 & 11, C-conomics 101, Promotional Videos, Original Trailer, Original Commercials, U.S. Trailer, Textless Opening Song, Textless Closing Song, Trailers.
Quote:

Contains episodes 1-12.

Special Features: Commentary for Episodes 3 & 6, Textless Opening Song, Textless Closing Song, Trailers.
Quote:

Contains episodes 13-24.

Special Features: Commentary for Episodes 14 & 23, Textless Opening Songs, Textless Closing Songs, U.S. Trailer, Previews.
Quote:

While supplies last, customers ordering this set will also receieve a free art booklet!

Contains episodes 1-12.

Special Features: Commentary for Episodes 4 & 6, Promotional Video, Original Commercials, U.S. Trailer, Textless Opening Song, Textless Closing Song, Trailers.
Quote:

While supplies last, customers ordering this set will also receieve a free gift with purchase (details to be announced)!

Contains episodes 1-12 and the OVA.

Special Features: Commentary for Episodes 6 & 12, Promo Videos, Original Commercials, U.S. Trailer, Textless Opening Song, Textless Opening Song (Director's Version), Textless Closing Song, Trailers.
Quote:

While supplies last, customers ordering this set will also receive a free gift with purchase (details to be announced)!

Special Features: U.S. Commentary, Commercial Collection, Theatrical Trailer, Previews.
Quote:

Contains OVA episodes 1-4.

Special Features: Episode Commentary, Interviews with English Voice Director and Cast, Anime Expo 2007 English Cast Panel, Geneon Booth: Featuring Hellsing Mansion, Promotional Videos, Japanese TV Commercials, Karaoke of Major's Speech, Trailers.

Last edited by WTK on Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
WTK

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:23 pm Reply with quote
(in regards to Aria the Scarlet Ammo) via FUNimation Facebook page
Quote:
Not sure where you heard that we don't have episode 13/OVA, but that's not true. The release will contain that episode, so rest assured.
WTK

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:45 pm Reply with quote
via FUNimation.com
Quote:
Some of you may have noticed that the eagerly anticipated Shakugan no Shana Season Two Part 1 & Part 2 releases have been delayed, but that’s because we’re packing the release full of EXTRAS! Including the animated specials of: Why? What? Shana! Ask Anything Question Box (aka Naze Nani Shana), and Shakugan no Shana-tan. So while there may be a bit of a wait, it’s all so we could make the release just a little more special for all of you.
WTK

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:31 pm Reply with quote
via AAA Anime (NOT FINAL!) | Note: Mass Effect: Paragon Lost is not listed below since it has been solicited already.
  • Black Lagoon: Seasons 1 & 2 Collection (Blu-ray / DVD Combo - $54.98 - 11/13/12
  • Hellsing (TV): Complete Collection (Classic Line) - $34.98 - 11/13/12
  • Hellsing Ultimate: Complete Collection (Blu-ray / DVD Combo) (Classic Line?) - $69.98 - 11/13/12 (not sure what this includes; OVA 1 to 8?)
  • Linebarrels of Iron: Complete Collection (S.A.V.E. Edition) - $29.98 - 11/13/12
  • Sengoku Basara - Samurai Kings: The Last Party (Blu-ray / DVD Combo) - $34.98 - 11/6/12
  • Serial Experiments Lain: Complete Collection (Blu-ray / DVD Combo?) - $89.98 - 11/13/12 (listed by them as DVD, but the MSRP likely will suggest otherwise)
  • Sgt. Frog: Season 3 Collection - $49.98 - 11/13/12
  • Soul Eater: Complete Collection (DVD) - $59.98 - 11/20/12
  • Soul Eater: Complete Collection (Blu-ray / DVD Combo?) - $59.98 - 11/20/12
  • Tenchi in Tokyo: Complete Collection - $39.98 - 11/13/12
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 17