• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gonzo to Restructure, Reduce Staff Count from 130 to 30

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Jarmel wrote:
Truth be told, I'm not exactly crying tears over this. If any studio had to go, this would be the right one.

Geez, negative, much? There's far worse studios out there.
zaeris

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:37 pm Reply with quote
It easy to condemn something when it doesn't directly involve the individual itself, what is more better than sitting at home and acting like a juvenile brat. The studio is doing a massive job cut much like every other firm/company in the current world affected by the financial crisis and ideally you don't have to like every single anime they produced only watch the one you like that where preference comes into play. Shrug I'm not a great fan of JC staff but they can manage some entertaining anime once in a while. Simply not care if the anime isn't to your liking there isn’t a need to tell the world what you hate.
bci110

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Jarmel wrote:
Truth be told, I'm not exactly crying tears over this. If any studio had to go, this would be the right one.

Geez, negative, much? There's far worse studios out there.

To be honest, Jarmel has a point there. Gonzo hasn't really produced a top-flight show based on their lofty standards since Gankutsuou, but that's just my personal opinion. I used to like Gonzo when I first started collecting anime, but lately they haven't really produced a top-quality show in my view, and that includes Linebarrals of Iron.
Paploo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Gonzo was one of the companies that had a heavy market presence here, so I imagine a decrease in anime dvd sales here and in Japan is contributing to stuff. I imagine we'll see a lot of cutbacks in Japan now, as anime's sales have been decreasing internationally for awhile, and I imagine they've experienced similar effects in Japan. There's still a market for it, but it's not as big as it used to be, so cutbacks are a necessity if they want to stay afloat and keep producing new shows. I'm curious what kind of shifts this'll bring about in what kind of anime we'll be seeing from here on out..........
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Well geez...I enjoyed Witchblade for what it was, and I've heard lots of good things about Samurai 7 and FMP, and even the fluffy entertainment shows on my roster (Vandread, Black Cat) sound at least fun. I wouldn't call any of the shows of theirs in my collection godawful.
Jarmel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:47 pm Reply with quote
@ Unit 03.5-ish

I wouldn't be sad to see them go either. However there is a reason why pretty much none of their titles break the 10k mark.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
"Bargain bin" anime? Their shows aren't usually meant to be high art, they're supposed to be fun, and that's what most Gonzo stuff is.

Truth. I'm a huge Gonzo fan, this is horrible news. ~_~
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Regardless, I was interested in Romeo x Juliet, and hearing this gives me all the more reason to get it and SUPPORT what's left of Gonzo rather than CRITICIZING them. Evil or Very Mad
kefkaownsall

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Sorry to say guys the best guys are probably gone. They probably took the package since they could get jobs elsewhere.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Understanding that there IS an economic crisis happening right now, is NOW a good time to blame downloading (as in download and NEVER buy anything?) The first thing I thought when I read this was 'I sure hoping cause and effect (aka downloading, etc) is finally taking its toll to where companies can't even afford to make anything else.
Busaiku Chama

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:00 pm Reply with quote
DarkHunter6523 wrote:
Not sure when this was said, but I remember hearing that Strike Witches was the first anime with individual DVD sales over 10K units since Vandread.

Only in Japan.

They've had numerous success in the US, like Witchblade, Basilisk, Samurai 7, Trinity Blood, and especially Afro Samurai.
I think Trinity Blood averaged something like 20k a volume.
Afro Samurai (the original) brought in $4.5 million from DVD sales back in August, and continues to chart very high in the top 10 anime list here.
Paploo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:01 pm Reply with quote
I've enjoyed Vandread, Pumpkin Scissors, Gatekeepers, and a lot of their series . Blue Submarine No.6 is the best show of theirs I own, and I'd recommend people check it out, as it's pretty cheap now, around 20 bucks for the whole OVA series.

A lot of their success came from international coproductions [Kaliedo Star was funded by ADV Films, and they produced two 50+ episode series for Hasbro with Transformers Cybertron and GIJOE Sigma Six, AfroSamurai with Spike, among other things], and they produced a lot of shows that appealed to fans here. Still, buying their shows currently on the market will certainly help a lot.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
Understanding that there IS an economic crisis happening right now, is NOW a good time to blame downloading (as in download and NEVER buy anything?) The first thing I thought when I read this was 'I sure hoping cause and effect (aka downloading, etc) is finally taking its toll to where companies can't even afford to make anything else.

I'm not sure if this was sarcastic or serious. I would hope no one would want to see the anime studios go out of business.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Sheleigha wrote:

I'm not sure if this was sarcastic or serious. I would hope no one would want to see the anime studios go out of business.

Er replace 'sure hope cause and effect' with 'wonder if cause and effect' >_> (I think I had two different things going on in my head when I typed that^^)

I mean NO WAY would I ever want an anime company to go under! I'm already going to be purchausing RomeoxJuliet as soon as it comes out (as far as Gonzo is concerned).
rg4619

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
However there is a reason why pretty much none of their titles break the 10k mark.

Gonzo was huge in the American market though. Their fast descent had more to do with the bubble bursting than anything else.

I can see other large firms in the same predicament due to the slowdown of the otaku market. As of now, studios like Production I.G. (180+ people), Madhouse (120), and J.C. Staff (120) are forced to push out show after show just to keep people employed. With slowing sales and high payrolls, the only alternative might be to cut staff like Gonzo.

Contrary to popular belief, Kyoto Animation (119) is also one of the largest studios. They're financially secure because of shows like Haruhi, Lucky Star, and the Key adaptations (and they've quickly expanded to capitalize on success). However, when/if they lose that momentum, they'll be in the same boat as everyone else.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7