• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-02-13]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scortia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:37 pm Reply with quote
I would totally buy that everything-goes Eyeshield 21 game. The DS game is fun as hell.
TheTheory

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:57 am Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
Jacob Gehman wrote:
With video games based on existing movies or shows I hate playing through a storyline that I already know. And adding another "chapter" to a movie (ala Enter the Matrix) usually has filler-like quality. So a video game based on an anime generally holds very little appeal for me. However, the one sort of exception I could see would be RPGs based on the worlds of certain anime shows. Imagine the same level of texture and questing as in a blockbuster RPG title like Fable II or Fallout 3, only set in the world of Fullmetal Alchemist or Haibane Renmei... or (more realistically) Naruto. Both Fullmetal Alchemist and Naruto have huge worlds already with a wide span of characters.

Uh, they did this already with Naruto on the Xbox360, Rise of a Ninja and Broken Bonds, and they are both amazingly fun games.[/list]

I picked up Naruto: Rise of a Ninja whilst at Circuit City today thanks to the discount. So far I am considering myself amused, but not really impressed. While I would loosely file it under the RPG genre, it seems to be more tightly structured and mixing different things in in a way that feels almost like a mini-game collection. (Cue... platformer puzzle! Cue... race! Cue... FIGHT!) Then again, the beginning stages of most RPGs are pretty much a grind until things get a bit deeper. I guess there is no way to get the Japanese voices on this thing? All of these "Believe it!'s" are killing me....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Iniksbane

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm kind of surprised the person buying the FMA disks didn't just go to Amazon marketplace (am I allowed to say that here?) and buy the singles that way. It's a lot cheaper and you can get the R1 releases that way. It's one of the reasons why I'm a little upset that the industry is switching to boxsets. They don't devalue as fast.
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Brian wrote:
Again, chintzy background design isn't something exclusive to just anime – the backgrounds in Avatar: The Last Airbender are just as perfunctory and simple, at least to me.

I think this should fall under one of her pet peeves.

hey! those are really cool.

i feel like a tool now.

but, i still (mostly) stand by my statement. i didn't intend to denigrate the artistic work of anybody who works on those shows, because by and large everyone working in the animation industry in the US or Japan are terrific artists, but that they just don't have the time or necessary compensation to really go crazy with the details.

i guess i shouldn't have used the word "perfunctory" then. i meant in the best way! really!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TheTheory

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Iniksbane wrote:
I'm kind of surprised the person buying the FMA disks didn't just go to Amazon marketplace (am I allowed to say that here?) and buy the singles that way. It's a lot cheaper and you can get the R1 releases that way. It's one of the reasons why I'm a little upset that the industry is switching to boxsets. They don't devalue as fast.

I don't know about that. I mean, yes... singles devalue quicker. However, the cost feels a little tricky on Amazon. For each marketplace single you purchase, you're also paying $3 in shipping. So lets say you wanted to get the full Fullmetal Alchemist series in singles (which I believe is 13 discs) you've already committed $39 just in shipping. calculate in anywhere between $1 and $5 for the actual prices of the DVDs and you're probably looking at close to $80. Loose, fuzzy math...? yes. But you get the picture. Singles-buying becomes quite worthwhile from RightStuf's bargain bin... or anywhere else with cheap singles where you aren't paying shipping for each individual dvd. But otherwise it behooves you to price-check and see really what you're paying to collect the used singles vs a thinpack or boxset or whatever.

Just picking a series at random, let's look at Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo. Six DVDs to the series. The cheapest prices on amazon marketplace are: v. 1- $1.85, v. 2- $6,75, v. 3- $5.98, v. 4- $5.99, v. 5- $8.99, v. 6- $6.94. Subtotal = $36.50, which isn't too bad. But once you add it an extra $3 per disc for shipping... you're looking at a Grand Total of $54.50. Which considering the whole Geneon boxset is available from RightStuf right now NEW for $50 (with free shipping!), that is a really bad way of doing things.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Iniksbane

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:14 am Reply with quote
TheTheory wrote:
Iniksbane wrote:

I don't know about that. I mean, yes... singles devalue quicker. However, the cost feels a little tricky on Amazon. For each marketplace single you purchase, you're also paying $3 in shipping. So lets say you wanted to get the full Fullmetal Alchemist series in singles (which I believe is 13 discs) you've already committed $39 just in shipping. calculate in anywhere between $1 and $5 for the actual prices of the DVDs and you're probably looking at close to $80. Loose, fuzzy math...? yes. But you get the picture. Singles-buying becomes quite worthwhile from RightStuf's bargain bin... or anywhere else with cheap singles where you aren't paying shipping for each individual dvd. But otherwise it behooves you to price-check and see really what you're paying to collect the used singles vs a thinpack or boxset or whatever.

Just picking a series at random, let's look at Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo. Six DVDs to the series. The cheapest prices on amazon marketplace are: v. 1- $1.85, v. 2- $6,75, v. 3- $5.98, v. 4- $5.99, v. 5- $8.99, v. 6- $6.94. Subtotal = $36.50, which isn't too bad. But once you add it an extra $3 per disc for shipping... you're looking at a Grand Total of $54.50. Which considering the whole Geneon boxset is available from RightStuf right now NEW for $50 (with free shipping!), that is a really bad way of doing things.

That's fair. I didn't really think about it that way. Granted, I agree Rightstuf's bargain bin is a good way to go as far as shipping goes. Although they also tend to charge about $3 a disk as well. Or at least they use some sort of wieght model that seems to work out to around $3 a disk. To be fair, I don't generally pay attention to the shipping price much because I don't tend to buy the whole series at once.

In all fairness to your point though, box sets are starting to devalue quicker now because the season one boxset for FMA was only about $43 (granted I didn't check to make sure it wasn't a bootleg.)
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:09 am Reply with quote
It's just like any particular entertainment: people jump on the bandwagon, it has its peak, over-exposure, jumps the shark, then much of the public who at one time thought it was cool now think it's kinda passe. Then it settles down to reflect it's truer nature.

Really, pretty much any entertainment goes thru the same process.
eviltimes

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:58 pm Reply with quote
No one seems to have stated the obvious:

The opportunity to purchase anime DVDs is disappearing fast! At blinding speed shelves are vanishing from Best Buys and Wall Mart won't sell anything over a "G" rating. Where is the casual impulse buy gonna happen now? I don't know about you people, but I can't walk into a bookstore without spending half a paycheck. Same thing used to happen when I hit the anime DVD aisles. No more. All gone!
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:08 pm Reply with quote
eviltimes wrote:
No one seems to have stated the obvious:

The opportunity to purchase anime DVDs is disappearing fast! At blinding speed shelves are vanishing from Best Buys and Wall Mart won't sell anything over a "G" rating. Where is the casual impulse buy gonna happen now? I don't know about you people, but I can't walk into a bookstore without spending half a paycheck. Same thing used to happen when I hit the anime DVD aisles. No more. All gone!

First I wouldn't go that far, Wal-Mart in stores still stock DBZ and similiar series. Best Buy is still selling anime. Both have online venues that sell more than just the store itself carries. Now while if you see somethng on the store shelf that you want and have the means to, you should pick it up. There are several benefits to it, shows the store that it is worth getting more and you get the anime series. This is especially true as more series are being released in sets as oppossed to singles, has more of a buy now aspect to it.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Kind of late posting this, but anyways, regarding the video game Answerfan question, I'm wondering about the opposite question. Not involving video games specifcially, but rather, if you had carte blanche to make an anime series based off of any existing work: video game, movie, tv show, book, etc, what would you choose? Has that question ever been asked in an Answerfan before, does anyone know?
jaclu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:30 pm Reply with quote
I have only been into anime for a couple of years, and so far my only source has been downloads. It just doesnt make sence to go to a large town and search for a place where you can find a few odd movies/series to choose from, when basically everything is just a download away.

I guess many other people are doing it the same way, so thats one explanation for diminishing sales.

Typically whenever I see somebody mentioning an anime here or on similar sites, I first wikipedia the title, if it sounds interesting I just download it and watch it right away, when I still remember why it might be of interest.

Not that I mind paying for content, but since the alternatives for buying on-line are limited to non-existant, mostly the only convenient option for most stuff is mininova, or sites like onemanga.com for mangas

So far the only place I have found where I can support the content providers is Crunchyroll - and they dont exactly have a large catalogue.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:39 pm Reply with quote
If you have an internet connection then it means you can go onto rightstuf or similiar sites. They have sales and discounted anime, such that sometimes the cost before shipping is $3.00 a disc. And I know mentioning some of my favorite series, I have to also drive home the point that anyone watching them in an illegal way doesn't help them, at all. So I encourage you to rent or purchase the very cheap singles from rightstuf or the now economical boxsets of series like Case Closed so that maybe Funimation/other distributors will continue releasing it.
reanimator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:38 am Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
On sparse rooms in anime: I'm thinking it might be a cultural thing as much as it is a budget thing, too. I was thinking about Princess Tutu while reading the question--a show which is set in Germany, or at the very least uses a lot of German text and is inspired by a real German town. And the backgrounds are filled with clutter and decorations--Pique's room has posters and all sorts of girly things, Fakir's room at his childhood home isn't very decorated but is filled with books, a replica of Drosselmeyer's office is filled with so many books and odd instruments it's hard to figure out how Autor and Fakir manage to move in it. Backgrounds that are shown a little more often, like Ahiru/Duck's room, are a little more bare, but they still have little trinkets that hint at the character's personalities.

Then again, maybe it just shows Princess Tutu had a higher budget than typical? Or they spent more money on the backgrounds and cut back on somewhere else?

I can't say a thing about Princess Tutu because I haven't seen that show thus I can't make comment about it.

Despite most people's perception of plain background paintings being cultural, it's actually more of a budget issue. Answerman is absolutely right. Let me explain in detail. In animation, art director (Bijutsu Kantoku: 美術監督) is the person who establishes living environment of the characters. Anyone can draw a room filled with books with some personal belongings, but it's very difficult to draw lived-in room. Lived-in room is not just about display of a character's personal properties, but display of how that character lives his or her life. If character is a slob, his bed is not made; he has fast food wrapper tossed in a corner of the room; food stain on the floor; piles of magazine stashed precariously on the floor; his clothes are tossed all over the place; and the list goes on. Let me ask you this: Is your bedroom resembles a picture from Home & Garden magazine? Of course not.
Art director and his BG art people have very short time to whip out 100+ BG designs. Art director is also responsible for color theme for various weather, time, mood for BG. Simpler the background, the better. So it's very difficult to draw lived-in look with tight TV production schedule.
jaclu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:56 am Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
So I encourage you to rent or purchase the very cheap singles from rightstuf or the now economical boxsets of series like Case Closed so that maybe Funimation/other distributors will continue releasing it.

I might have forgotten to state that I'm not in USA, im living in Sweden, I have tried to buy DVDs online a few times from USA, but thats just not practical
a) I cant even see those dvds on my tv due to region issues Sad
b) takes weeks for delivery and often quite a surcharge for international delivery.
c) quite often I get to pay aditional import customs - wich not only drives up the prize, it ads even more time until final delivery.

Still I completely agree that the content provider should be paid, for me this is not at all a pricing issue, I would love to compensate good products economically, but I cant understand japaneese, and I cant watch american DVDs, so that basically eliminates most DVD purchase - ok there are a some anime dvds from UK wich I could use, but thats a rather small subset of what I would like to see.

Further there are a few sites (this included) that streams anime, but they only work if you are in USA. Quite silly to state licensing issues and refuse to let people see, the only thing that leads to is more torrent downloads, and I cant see anybody winning on that.

So basically my choises are - not to watch anime or to download. I go for torrents until I find a site where I can pay for my downloads. With music its easier iTunes and others are providing legal music over the net, unfortunately the anime scene is lagging behind on that.
deet13

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:03 am Reply with quote
For me, Wolf and Spice is my batch of chicken noodle soup...

Why Wolf and Spice? I think Horo and Lawrence are interesting characters, the production values of the anime are good, and the dialogue between the main and support characters can be fairly witty.

Plus whenever the pair of them arrive in a new town, Horo tends to live it up, like sailor on shore leave.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6