• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Haruhi-chan, Churuya-san Streamed with English Subs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:36 am Reply with quote
'Haruhi-Chan' looks like funny stuff, so I look forward to seeing more.
Paploo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:14 am Reply with quote
Nice! Since this is also an ONA in Japan, it's good sense for them to have it translated and available without region restrictions. And the professional translation, yay! I hope this also means that we'll get simultaneous dvd releases, with the translation being finished. They'd just have to send off materials to Bandai, who'd then just have to program the subtitles into a dvd-subtitle format.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:06 pm Reply with quote
I don't think just animating 4-panel comics and sticking them one after the other really works that well.

Haruhi-chan's funniest joke by far was Kyon's sister's new, terrifying personality. The rest was kinda bland.

Paploo wrote:
I hope this also means that we'll get simultaneous dvd releases, with the translation being finished. They'd just have to send off materials to Bandai, who'd then just have to program the subtitles into a dvd-subtitle format.

But what about the old problem of gray-market imports? Bandai Visual USA solved that problem by matching the R1 pricing with the R2, but we all know how that turned out.

Last edited by Fronzel on Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:07 pm Reply with quote
I loved the smoked cheese thing but I also found Haruhi chan to be funnier.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Awesome. xD I love that they subbed them!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Cait

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
Nice! Since this is also an ONA in Japan, it's good sense for them to have it translated and available without region restrictions. And the professional translation, yay! I hope this also means that we'll get simultaneous dvd releases, with the translation being finished. They'd just have to send off materials to Bandai, who'd then just have to program the subtitles into a dvd-subtitle format.

That translation was way awkward. If Bandai or whoever got the series for an R1 release, they would definitely need to clean the thing up before I would accept it as "good." Clearly either a rush job or translated entirely by people who may very well speak fluent English, but not as a first language.

That's not to say that I didn't enjoy it or anything. Free and legal is perfectly okay with me, so I had no expectations going into it.
sdhd

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:26 pm Reply with quote
It's great the anime is shown on Youtube without region restricted. Is that because no one has licensed it around the world yet?
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:54 pm Reply with quote
sdhd wrote:
It's great the anime is shown on Youtube without region restricted. Is that because no one has licensed it around the world yet?

I would think that there are no region restrictions on ONAs, and this is more of a promotion for Haruhi and for Kadokawa anyway. This one I actually laughed while watching. I probably laughed more than I did watching the entire first season of Haruhi. It actually makes me hope for more of this series.
Anton Chigurh

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:56 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Oh god, it hurts, oh god.

Anton Chigurh wrote:
That was worth the wait if only to see some new Haruhi animation after so long.

I couldn't care less for the Churuya stuff - it looked like comic strips put together without much regard for continuity or comedy in general -, but the Haruhi-chan had me in stitches. Mikuru-sheep FTW.

The Churuya ones were originally fan-made comics.

I know, and my point was, it shows it - with a vengeance.

Quote:

Best of my knowledge, Haruhi sales in the US didn't exactly set the industry on fire. So, expecting a future licensor will invest such dedication to the release of the second season - if it is released in the States at all - is a pipe dream at best.

If they could give the series the treatment Naruto will get it would rock everyone's socks. Unfortunately Haruhi hasn't reached that level of popularity.
Shale

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:08 pm Reply with quote
The boat gag was much funnier.
Cait

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:29 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
sdhd wrote:

I would think that there are no region restrictions on ONAs, and this is more of a promotion for Haruhi and for Kadokawa anyway. This one I actually laughed while watching. I probably laughed more than I did watching the entire first season of Haruhi. It actually makes me hope for more of this series.

it might also because of the fact that it is being boradcast before any licensing deals go through, any licenses would probably include an understanding that this video sharing on YouTube is going to be there (or that Kadokawa will remove the video from YouTube if licensed abroad). I do think that viewing restrictions of videos on YouTube in general are going to depend on where in the world you are. Take China, for example, where the government severely restricts what its people get to experience on the internet.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Anton Chigurh wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Oh god, it hurts, oh god.

Anton Chigurh wrote:
That was worth the wait if only to see some new Haruhi animation after so long.

I couldn't care less for the Churuya stuff - it looked like comic strips put together without much regard for continuity or comedy in general -, but the Haruhi-chan had me in stitches. Mikuru-sheep FTW.

The Churuya ones were originally fan-made comics.

I know, and my point was, it shows it - with a vengeance.

Quote:

Best of my knowledge, Haruhi sales in the US didn't exactly set the industry on fire. So, expecting a future licensor will invest such dedication to the release of the second season - if it is released in the States at all - is a pipe dream at best.

If they could give the series the treatment Naruto will get it would rock everyone's socks. Unfortunately Haruhi hasn't reached that level of popularity.

Yes it did. Haurhi did well for an anime but not as well as they expected. They didn't get any mainstream promotion and half of the otaku whining didn't even go out and buy the series. Haruhi is a hit and if they make a second season odds are we will get it it just can't be Naruto do to the very nature of it. We don't get real sales number often so we don't know, but if they were expecting Haruhi to sell like Naruto then they are crazy.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Free legal subs - great. Very Happy Shame the actual anime was pretty lame.
edzieba

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Cait wrote:
That translation was way awkward. If Bandai or whoever got the series for an R1 release, they would definitely need to clean the thing up before I would accept it as "good." Clearly either a rush job or translated entirely by people who may very well speak fluent English, but not as a first language.
Could you provide some examples? I couldn't find any egregious errors that didn't fall under the banner of localisation. Awkward word-for-word translations that try and retain foreign sentence structure are never a good idea.
Hamsterpuff

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:51 pm Reply with quote
That was great! Subs, wordwide availability - and the shorts were actually funny. Also, this might just be me not doing my homework, but I was positively surprised to hear the seiyuu cast from the original series reprise their roles for Haruhi-chan. Anyone knows who the seiyuu are for Churuya-san, since that one doesn't have an ANN listing yet?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6