• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Haruhi-chan, Churuya-san Streamed with English Subs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:52 pm Reply with quote
I usually don't watch subbed stuff, but dammit that was awesome. Sheep Mikuru FTW, yo
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Hamsterpuff wrote:
That was great! Subs, wordwide availability - and the shorts were actually funny. Also, this might just be me not doing my homework, but I was positively surprised to hear the seiyuu cast from the original series reprise their roles for Haruhi-chan. Anyone knows who the seiyuu are for Churuya-san, since that one doesn't have an ANN listing yet?

I would assume it was Yuki Matsuoka Tsuruya's seiyuu. It sort of sounded like her IMO
GeneralArrow

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Pretty could but its more of an advertising campaign I would assume to pull us back to the Haruhi franchise. This is a step in the right direction with the subs. Good work.
Cait

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:46 pm Reply with quote
I apologize in advance for the long post to follow.

edzieba wrote:
Could you provide some examples? I couldn't find any egregious errors that didn't fall under the banner of localisation. Awkward word-for-word translations that try and retain foreign sentence structure are never a good idea.

Proper localization is the point. I'm not saying anyone else has to be as nitpicky about it as I am. In my post I thought I was clear that it was me, for myself, that would not accept this translation in an official R1 release the way it is, that for me it would have to be cleaned up, and if I wasn't clear, I apologize. (I also do remember stating that, despite my complaints, I was happy with the free video, just that I would not pay money for the "quality" of the translation, should it be licensed).

Anyway, to give you the examples you asked for, I have gone through the entire Melancholy of Haruhi-chan Suzumiya video, divided them by timestamp and explained why I am less than pleased with them (I haven't included all instances where I was wasn't satisfied, but I think I was fairly comprehensive in the ones I did choose). It is probably pretty true that my standards are way higher than the average person, but I'm not going to compromise them just because other people don't care. You are entitled not to care or disagree with my complaints at your leisure, and enjoy the product as is, but please do not come back to me saying I have no right to be less than 100% satisfied with the translation (I'm not saying you were doing this, I am just making a general statement about the right to an opinion/standard of quality).

At:

0:29-There is a spelling error: "uder" instead of "under." Also, the form of the language reads unnaturally. It might be a "direct" translation of what Kyon is saying, but an English phrase would not be spoken this way.

0:34-His sister's statement, which while I also assume is a direct translation is also awkward. "I'd kill to hear what fun you had without me?" Are you serious? Who speaks like that? Not a young girl...

0:50- "Tired by playing with his sister..." Uh... "from?"

1:09- "I feel too sorry." This is entirely an incomplete thought, and while it might work in Japanese, in English it should have been amended to something like, "sorry for her" or at least a better adjective than "sorry." As I understand it, translations from two such disparate languages leave a lot more room for interpretation than this sort of simplistic clinical wording.

1:19-"I fell in bed, counted sheep and hit a response..." I don't think I need to explain how unnatural those read.

1:44- I question the use of the comma here, but that's sort of nitpicking, sorry.

1:45-The comma from above should be before "after all" here.

1:51- The term "bringer of good luck" is sort of strange. It is not clear in English if this is an actual figure (mythologically speaking?) or simply a turn of phrase. To the former perhaps fudging it with proper noun status would be appropriate, and for the latter, quotations.

2:11- Another comma that does not need to be there. If they are putting commas where "pauses" in speech are, maybe I get it, but seriously, they should just be using separate lines. And this sentence is awkward, too. "Did you just see right through that I am not the Mt. Fuji?" The "the" is improper. It should be either "...not Mt. Fuji" or "not the Fuji mountain," which would have made the sentence even more awkward, so I would say simply drop the "the." Unless it was meant as, "the Mt. Fuji," as in, for emphasis, in which case it was not made clear in the text.

2:22- "God" is not a proper noun unless you are talking about a specific or monotheistic god, which Koizumi is not doing here.

2:49- "The hawk was here from the beginning," should be something like, "has been here," or better yet, "the hawk's been here." I also question "from," but to change it to the more contextually appropriate "since" would make the whole sentence sound more awkward.

3:01: "The body might look like a crane, but my heart is a hawk." It switches from the impersonal "the" to the personal "my," which is stylistically improper in English.

3:15-"You got a cellphone?" If this is an attempt at colloquial speech, it fails. It should be written as "You've got" or "You have." For the statement to work as is, it would have to imply that Koizumi received that cellphone from somewhere, which it doesn't. He had it.

3:44-"I had enough," is incorrect. It should be, "I've had..."

3:53- "But you found..." is mixing tenses with the rest of the sentence. It should be "you've."

3:58- Nitpicking again, but there is an extra space before "'cool face'" here. And before you call me on not calling the "do" here, it actually works as colloquial speech in this instance.

*4:05- Nagato's sentence here is very awkward, but I assume it is that way in the Japanese as well. Nagato in the English dub even speaks awkwardly. I understand it is a design of the character, so I accept it here.*

4:30- There is another extra space between Kyon's "No" and the exclamation point.

4:33-"New Year" should be a proper noun in this context. And watching the video again for this, I just got the joke that it was his "first dream of the new year (which, incidentally, is not a proper noun in the context I used it)." Heh.

Also, the subtitles make an effort to translate on-screen text, but they either do not translate the text above Mikuru-sheep or, if they do, they do not differentiate them from what Haruhi is saying.

EDIT: Fixing my own typing, please bear with me.
Shii

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:54 am Reply with quote
Oh good, this thread needed some ridiculous pedantry.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:23 am Reply with quote
I'd say that Haruhi-chan needs a "eternal victim" rat character, but I suppose the point of Gan-chan was to add a male element to The Adventure of Mini-Goddess (since Keiichi Morisato doesn't shrink), while Haruhi Suzumiya has "Kyon" and Itsuki Koizumi, so it doesn't need to add any new guys.

Haruhi-chan is a style of "omake" bonus story comedy very similar in tone to The Adventure of Mini-Goddess, which I do enjoy, so I was satisfied with the lulz even if this one wasn't quite laugh-out-loud funny. (I also got the Hatsuyume reference because I've seen the "New Year's Dream" episode of Azumanga Daioh.)

Churuya-san is total minimalist comedy... I don't know what else to say.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cait

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:16 am Reply with quote
Shii wrote:
Oh good, this thread needed some ridiculous pedantry.

Yeah, it also needed one-liner snide comments from people who could have just as easily ignored something they didn't agree with, or at the very least stated as much without being a complete jerk. I was defending my position at the request of another poster. The only possible purpose for your statement was to make you yourself seem superior in some way, while completely ignoring any common decency towards other people, decency that exists to prevent unnecessary conflict from erupting between individuals. Congratulations, you have succeeded in perpetuating the problem with the internet: a total lack of concern for the effect of your words and actions.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:27 am Reply with quote
Cait wrote:
it might also because of the fact that it is being boradcast before any licensing deals go through, any licenses would probably include an understanding that this video sharing on YouTube is going to be there (or that Kadokawa will remove the video from YouTube if licensed abroad). I do think that viewing restrictions of videos on YouTube in general are going to depend on where in the world you are. Take China, for example, where the government severely restricts what its people get to experience on the internet.

Even if somebody were to license it, this is Kadokawa's own channel, with their own original (and KyoAni's) work on it. If they've decided that they're going to run this video without having regional restriction on it, that should be up to them. But to me a license shouldn't affect what they have at all, because if the licensee wants to have regional coding, then that's their business.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:59 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
sdhd wrote:
It's great the anime is shown on Youtube without region restricted. Is that because no one has licensed it around the world yet?

I would think that there are no region restrictions on ONAs, and this is more of a promotion for Haruhi and for Kadokawa anyway.

Also, most likely, these ONAs will just be extras on licensed DVDs instead of their own DVDs, so they wouldn't really be the deciding factor, even if people have already seen them, whether to buy the licensed DVDs.

edzieba wrote:
Cait wrote:
That translation was way awkward. If Bandai or whoever got the series for an R1 release, they would definitely need to clean the thing up before I would accept it as "good." Clearly either a rush job or translated entirely by people who may very well speak fluent English, but not as a first language.

Could you provide some examples? I couldn't find any egregious errors that didn't fall under the banner of localisation.

And which local would this localization be, pray tell? Laughing

fighterholic wrote:

Even if somebody were to license it, this is Kadokawa's own channel, with their own original (and KyoAni's) work on it. If they've decided that they're going to run this video without having regional restriction on it, that should be up to them. But to me a license shouldn't affect what they have at all, because if the licensee wants to have regional coding, then that's their business.

Though the licensee could argue that the license fee should be lowered accordingly because the regional internet part of the license would not be controlled by the licensee.
Cait

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:26 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:

I'm sorry, I didn't make my statement clear. What I meant was that, should this series get licensed, the fact that Kadokawa has the videos on YouTube would be an issue that would have to be addressed in negotiations. For example, if Bandai, or whoever, wanted to sell digital downloads of the series instead of providing them for free, they could, as part of the license agreement, ask Kadokawa to remove the videos from YouTube, or ask them to region block them from the R1 region, etc.
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:57 pm Reply with quote
I found the short very amusing... especially the part where Haruhi as a dog kept trying to get Mikuru as a sheep to jump though the ring of fire... that got me laughing...
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:29 pm Reply with quote
It was okay. Not great, but okay.

I'll wait til April.
farichada

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:07 pm Reply with quote
I thought the clips were short, but funny. For a gag mini-series, this is about as good as you can get. There were a few minor translation errors, but nothing major. I can't wait to see more.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:07 pm Reply with quote
heh, best comment on youtube 『Nyoron Churuya-san』#1 for this?
from kamaradakamikaze "

"Ney, KyoAni, KyoAni! When your are going to do the second season of Haruhi Suzumiya?

- Never.

-Nyoro~n."

also, what was Haruhi in the main short? An Otter?
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:40 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
It was okay. Not great, but okay.

I'll wait til April.

For what? The rerun I guess.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6