• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fall 2012 anime list.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Riddley wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

Uh...yeah. For whatever Steins;Gate did well (and it did do some things quite well) it also had some pretty glaring problems.

Oh? Do tell. And I hope it's not the same old tired arguments about the time paradox inconsistencies.

He's not the only one that has problems, once again, I suggest you check out the series thread. I can't speak for ikillchicken but to me the problems has nothing to do with nitpicking the "science" of the show.
Basically, the tone, scripting, and pacing was simply quite bad. Exclusively whimsical at times, switching to completely dramatic at other times with little semblance of a middle "normal" ground. It took seven entire episodes of otaku pandering (cross-dressing shrine "maiden"! Maid Cafe! Fat Otaku with a loli fetish!) and exhausting examples of "Kyōma Hōōin wackiness" to get back around to the plot set out in the beginning and actually sending a D-mail and having the first Reading Steiner since the first episode. Not to say what was done in this section was unimportant, but that it was badly presented and plotted in the most game-like information gathering manner possible. Because, even though they spent all this time without actually dealing with plot, except in the most minor ways, it also failed to adequately deal with any depth of character development for anyone but Kurisu and Rintaro. Especially failing spectacularly to give a viewer a reason to care in the least for the hollow moe-shell of Mayuri- which seems like it should be pretty important!

I'm quite happy with the time travel story and mystery aspects and consider them to be the show's saving grace (I have the show rated "good"). It's the script that seems to be less of a story adaption of the game than a dictation of the game play of the visual novel that has me confused why its so revered.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
opn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:50 pm Reply with quote
For those curious here is the latest biglobe poll http://anime.biglobe.ne.jp/userranking/title/37924/
Riddley

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Riddley wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

Uh...yeah. For whatever Steins;Gate did well (and it did do some things quite well) it also had some pretty glaring problems.

Oh? Do tell. And I hope it's not the same old tired arguments about the time paradox inconsistencies.

He's not the only one that has problems, once again, I suggest you check out the series thread. I can't speak for ikillchicken but to me the problems has nothing to do with nitpicking the "science" of the show.
Basically, the tone, scripting, and pacing was simply quite bad. Exclusively whimsical at times, switching to completely dramatic at other times with little semblance of a middle "normal" ground. It took seven entire episodes of otaku pandering (cross-dressing shrine "maiden"! Maid Cafe! Fat Otaku with a loli fetish!) and exhausting examples of "Kyōma Hōōin wackiness" to get back around to the plot set out in the beginning and actually sending a D-mail and having the first Reading Steiner since the first episode. Not to say what was done in this section was unimportant, but that it was badly presented and plotted in the most game-like information gathering manner possible. Because, even though they spent all this time without actually dealing with plot, except in the most minor ways, it also failed to adequately deal with any depth of character development for anyone but Kurisu and Rintaro. Especially failing spectacularly to give a viewer a reason to care in the least for the hollow moe-shell of Mayuri- which seems like it should be pretty important!

I'm quite happy with the time travel story and mystery aspects and consider them to be the show's saving grace (I have the show rated "good"). It's the script that seems to be less of a story adaption of the game than a dictation of the game play of the visual novel that has me confused why its so revered.

I would pretty much disagree with every point you had an issue with, but that's the nature of opinion. Some people like fan service, others don't.

I don't mind people not liking a series. I don't like people acting like it's a given fact that a show as highly rated and popular as Steins;Gate is such a piece of crap, which is how it came across in his statement.

I prefer if someone wants to contradict the vast majority to at least hold up some of their opinions. So that at least if we don't agree, we can at least understand why they said it.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:36 pm Reply with quote
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
I can't speak for ikillchicken but to me the problems has nothing to do with nitpicking the "science" of the show.

Yeah, I would never nitpick the science of such a show. In fact, that seems downright absurd to me. I do have some issues with the plot mind you. They often seemed to be making it up as they went along and often failed to follow their own apparent rules. It's not horrible but I would call it a flaw.

Quote:
It took seven entire episodes of otaku pandering (cross-dressing shrine "maiden"! Maid Cafe! Fat Otaku with a loli fetish!) and exhausting examples of "Kyōma Hōōin wackiness" to get back around to the plot set out in the beginning and actually sending a D-mail and having the first Reading Steiner since the first episode.

Eh, I have mixed feelings here. I actually liked some parts of this. I thought Okarin and Daru were fun. They had good chemistry with Kris too. So in some ways I was fine with how the show just kinda meander for a fair while. That said, I'm in complete agreement about the rest. For every part with the core characters that I actually enjoyed there is a bunch of stupid, utterly pointless otaku pandering that's just painful to sit through.

Quote:
Not to say what was done in this section was unimportant, but that it was badly presented and plotted in the most game-like information gathering manner possible. Because, even though they spent all this time without actually dealing with plot, except in the most minor ways, it also failed to adequately deal with any depth of character development for anyone but Kurisu and Rintaro. Especially failing spectacularly to give a viewer a reason to care in the least for the hollow moe-shell of Mayuri- which seems like it should be pretty important!

I quite liked what they did with Suzuha too, especially later in the show. Moeka was also solid (although sadly we never really saw a lot of her which is a shame). But yeah, this is basically the major flaw of Steins;Gate. There are some strong characters here but there are at least as many awful ones too. Mayuri is just awful. Ruka (and all the plot lines surrounding her) were, without exaggeration, the most ridiculous thing I've seen in years. Feris was also thoroughly ridiculous in her own right.

Riddley wrote:
I don't like people acting like it's a given fact that a show as highly rated and popular as Steins;Gate is such a piece of crap, which is how it came across in his statement.

No. It didn't.

ikillchicken wrote:
For whatever Steins;Gate did well (and it did do some things quite well) it also had some pretty glaring problems.

If your mind translated this to "Steins;Gate is such a piece of crap" then that's on you. Rolling Eyes
lovelymaid143

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Bakuman!
Key

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:19 pm Reply with quote
lovelymaid143 wrote:
Bakuman!

As was mentioned about your post in another thread, you can't get away with just one-word or one-name posts around here. If you continue to post stuff like this without elaboration then you are in violation of required content rules and may find yourself Moderated.

I realize that you're new, but that doesn't exclude you from having to follow forum rules.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4