• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hollywood Reporter: Film Adaptation of Cyborg 009 'in Development'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:59 pm Reply with quote
It would be nice if some US publisher (like say Vertical or Yen Press) could re-release the manga. Tokyopop had the original rights but since they are (more or less) kaput, I would like to read the series myself.
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:14 pm Reply with quote
It would also be nice if Sony would give us our Cyborg 009 anime boxset Crying or Very sad
RestLessone

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Y'know, Cyborg 009 could actually work. From my recollection, it wasn't a series grounded in Japan and was definitely more multicultural. Of course, you could say the same thing about Dragon Ball, but whatever...It probably wont even get made. I'd be really interested in reading the manga, though. But the series is 36 volumes long. Even if they omnbius-ed 'em up, that's still 12 volumes at the very least. (Probably would be 18.)

Chagen46 wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:
Anyone who thinks that it will automatically suck just from the announcement is an idiot. There have only been three theatrical anime movies, and only one of them was actually terrible. The rest just didn't do well. How many times do I have to make this point: we said the same thing about comic book movies. Every time I make that point, no one touches it with a ten-foot pole.

WHich three would those be, and which one was terrible?

You better not say that Speed Racer was the terrible one..

I'm guessing it's Dragon Ball. Speed Racer worked as an adaptation of the American localization of the cartoon, and the series was always a bit goofy. Astro Boy, while not that good, wasn't horrific or anything. It was more or less just vanilla.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Someone from The Spirit is involved with this. It's immediately suffering from garbage in, garbage out.

Chagen46 wrote:
You better not say that Speed Racer was the terrible one..

Speed Racer was a great adaptation. They took a cheesy, hokey, ridiculous, and kinda terrible anime and turned it a film with those same descriptors.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Well, Cyborg 009 is already one of those that's closest to be envisioned to be global properties from the get-go, instead of for Japanese eyes only. So this is just following its intended purpose. Laughing
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:27 pm Reply with quote
As most of us know when something goes "In development", they rarely seem to make it out the other end. (Even Spider-Man took like 17 years to finally get on the big screen, and was almost subject to an awful James Cameron retooling) so, there;s no real need to freak out over every announcement of an anime movie.

That said, I'm surprised this one was even considered.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:29 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Speed Racer was a great adaptation. They took a cheesy, hokey, ridiculous, and kinda terrible anime and turned it a film with those same descriptors.

That's my opinion as well, but there's a freakishly large amount of people who hate the movie for some reason.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:56 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:

That's my opinion as well, but there's a freakishly large amount of people who hate the movie for some reason.

Some hated it because they were expecting 'The Matrix' with cars since the Wachowski brothers were involved. Others hated the over-the-top nature of it, unaware that it was paying tribute to the anime. With time, at least fans of the series grew to respect the movie. In a way, it's like 'Scott Pilgrim.'
nhat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:36 am Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
Before anybody starts complaining, allow me to remind you that this will never get made, and will be perpetually lost in development hell.

Yea pretty much. Unless I see an anime movie in theaters, its usually in development hell.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:53 am Reply with quote
What? Another one?
Just put in the cellar with the rest. Rolling Eyes
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:11 pm Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:
Y'know, Cyborg 009 could actually work. From my recollection, it wasn't a series grounded in Japan and was definitely more multicultural.

I doubt they'll keep the Japanese elements in it (like the main character).

Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

Maybe the dub is bad like that, but it definitely wasn't Mach Go Go.

That's like making a film of a bad 4Kids dub and it turns out garbage and saying "Just like the show!" It was just bad however you cut it; typical whitewashing and bad casting and plotting. Not as bad as "Astro Boy" maybe, since that movie goes completely against the original message of Tetsuwan Atom. But all these adaptions are always terrible.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Titan, take your ridiculous japan-worship elsewhere.

Speed Racer was always an adaption of the hilariously awful english dub. It was never supposed to be an adaption of the original show (which wasn't even that good). On that front, the movie is really good--it's every bit as absurd, colorful, and completely insane as the original.

Also, "whitewashing"? Really? The characters in Speed Racer were never given explicit nationalities anyway!
taco123

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:27 pm Reply with quote
You guys will never like anything made in the U.S. It's gotten to the point where hearing an English dub is automatically "terrible" and Japanese dub will always reign supreme even though 99% of you can't understand a single word said in that language. There are good examples of that in this thread.

And now Cyborg 009 is going to be "terrible" even though we haven't seen a trailer.

Japan worship much?
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Sadly my friend, it's inherent to anime fandom.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Also, "whitewashing"? Really? The characters in Speed Racer were never given explicit nationalities anyway!

Michi Shimura sounds like a fairly Japanese name to me.. Trixie sounds clearly American.

Why do I get the feeling you've never actually seen the original Mach Go Go Go.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3