• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New CPM Licenses

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amibite

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I've seen a hell of a lot of the Japanese verison and Pokemon, and it never even comes within the same ballpark as Narutaru. The most the Japanese version of Pokemon has is a little bit of swearing and the occasional bit of mild sexual innudendo As somesone else said, it was shown at 1am. Second, yeah, a lot of the violence is cut away from, but it is still there. It's not the matter of the violence that makes the show so extreme, it's the fact that most of those murdered are children, 11 or 12 years old, and also what is essentially the rape of an 11 year old, and god knows how many other elements of sex.

It's mostly the Advanced Generation series. Where a Haganail eats some kid and his Pokemon (Haganail is my favorite Pokemon ^-^)

Quote:
It's not the matter of the violence that makes the show so extreme, it's the fact that most of those murdered are children, 11 or 12 years old, and also what is essentially the rape of an 11 year old, and god knows how many other elements of sex.

Bah, I'm not for that whole idea. It's like watching someone torture a women is more 'unsuitable' than if they tortured a man. Double standards..

But even so, in Berserk, Guts was raped as a young child by a big black guy, plus the un-godly amount of demon orgies and violence... and that got liscenced.

In Yuugiou, a little girl and her puppy are electrocuted to death and stepped on/crushed and what-not, and a guy tries to rape his sister and stuff, and they edited they down for a Saturday morning TV release.

My point is it's just not that big of a show when far worse have been released in America; so the licensing of Narutaru isn't a big deal.
tebalith

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Narutaru is NOT about a girl befriending a star-shaped mysterious being and fighting evil kids.
Well, I think this summary is very misleading. First of all, the battle is not Good VS Evil. There are several groups involved, including the military, and Shiina is caught somewhere in between, and the whole atmosphere of Naru Taru stems from the fact that she doesn't really know what is going on, and who to trust, etc.

Ultimately, this series is about the question what happens when children with problems aquire great power. There's a certain realism in how the story develops... which means it starts innocently, develops slowly, and has some shocking outbursts of violence... I guess this is WHY they are so shocking. They're just brutally blunt.

It's not... it's not an anime with some violence, it's an anime about violence. Sort of.
Amibite

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:23 pm Reply with quote
It kind of is, though

Four kids want to use their monsters to attack and hurt people for fun, so Shiina decides to stop them because it's wrong, they fails, and the kids run away and are never seen again.

What you described is kind of like Jurassic Park, in a way. The book, anyway, the movie is just some cheap flashy dino movie.. The book deals with power through hardship VS power gained easilly, via money.
tebalith

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Amibite wrote:
Four kids want to use their monsters to attack and hurt people for fun, so Shiina decides to stop them because it's wrong, they fails, and the kids run away and are never seen again.
I'm sorry. Which series are you describing? I recognize the name "Shiina", but the rest doesn't sound familiar.

Seriously, I haven't read the final two volumes yet, but I can assure you that it is NOT "Some kids want to hurt others, Shiina stops them, happy end". Your summary is wrong, read the manga, and you know it.
Amibite

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:31 pm Reply with quote
What's not to get?

spoiler[Episode 1 - Shiina befriends Hoshimaru
Episode 2 - Shiina meets Akira and her dragonet Ain Soph
Episode 3 - They meet that one guy and his dragonet; oshimaru kills him
Episode 4 - Shiina doesn't want to use Hoshimaru anymore, but eventually gets over it.
Episode 5 - Satomi has her dragonet attack the air-force (Shiina's dad)
Episode 6 - 8: The battle between dragonets and the army.
Episode 9 - 10: Pointless filler about Shiina and that one ghostly girl.
Episode 11 - Akira going to the darkside, stuff happens.
Episode 12 - 13: Hiroko gets her revenge, Akira kills her dad, Hiroko wants to kill more people and attacks Shiina's dad, Hoshimaru kills her. Shiina then goes through school life as normal once again
]

There's more after that in the manga, but we're talking about the anime.

Again, Narutaru is nothing special.
tebalith

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:25 am Reply with quote
Well, sure you can summarize every series like that, making every series in the whole damn world sound terribly boring.

Still, this isn't a battle Good VS Evil.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2