• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chicks On Anime - The Perfect Man(?)

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HellKorn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:26 pm Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
Kinda like me with slice of life shows, if I wanted it, I'd go out and interact/live my life (Why watch it when you can/have live(d) it?)

Your life is like any of these series?!

Don't have much to contribute, as far as crushes and the like goes on anime characters. I may like them as characters, appealing to the find, find their actions compelling, etc. The only instance where I think that that's a girl I wouldn't mind dating is Mayuko from NieA_7, though that's more out of empathy. (I'd date myself? Wonder how many of these attractions to characters come out of shared personality traits.)
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:32 pm Reply with quote
DomFortress wrote:

I take it you've never had anything to do with actual 3D children?
Who says an adult can't behave like a child. And by providing us with your skeptical and superficial mannerisms regarding my person, I've just proved my point.

Perhaps you should take some kids classes at your local church, and see for yourself just like I did, how a whining and complaining adult is like a child with a temper tantrum.[/quote][/quote]

The original line was something about kids being evil to which I made a comment about their learning to become civilized.
How the hell does that relate to adults behaving like children?
Jack in the Box ran an ad last year of 2 adult males in a double stroller whining for an afternoon snack saying it wasn't just kids who need one. (Jack is so cool for a burger joint rep). We all have our cranky moments (my morning DJ said he was putting a red dot on the calendar to track his wife's time of month so he'd know to tread softly until she asked about it & he told her so she became furious)
L admitted he had a childish personality & hated to lose. My grandmother always said said boys never grow up whic is echoed somewhat in "The only difference between men & boys is the price of their toys." Peter Pan, anyone?
Robin Williams used to have a line in his routine where he said to keep a bit of the child in one because when one lets go of it entirely was when one becomes old.

It still in no way relates to the Perfect Guy.

I am the mother of an 18 yr old as I stated in the post so I believe that counts as a 3D child.

DomFortress wrote:

Try not to be so obsessed with my use of the words "children" and "infants", or else you won't see the obvious; that as adults, we all were once childish and infantile when we didn't know better. And we're still capable of reverting to that stage whenever we don't possess the knowledge of our situation.

But it still has nothing to do with children being taught to be civilized by their parents.

DomFortress wrote:

A good leader leads by example, so it's not surprising that a reluctant hero type like Simon can be a great leader just like Kamina. For they both inspire people with their actions. Also, those who respect the natural order of things won't act unless it's absolutely necessary. That's why both Spike from Cowboy Bebop and John from Die Hard as the reluctant heroes, only did what they did because they're the only ones who can do it, despise which side of the law that they're on.

John from Die Hard is a cop so by his profession he is a hero.
Wrong example.
As a law enforcement type he would either be the type who can walk away from the job when he's off the clock, or the type who will always dive in to Protect & Serve.
Unlike Spike who has spent most of his life on the wrong side of the law.
The 2 are rather dissimilar.
Thus Spike IS a Reluctant Hero in the sense that he DID run from that life. He was hiding from his past until his past jumped back in front of his path. If his past had remained buried, Vicious would have been allowed to do as he wished because Spike wouldn't have stepped in to stop him.
Wasn't it that Vicious learned Spike was still alive? (Haven't watched the show in a couple yrs). So it was more the battle coming to Spike.

Which isn't here nor there other than I pointed out Spike falls into the classic definition of a bishonen in more ways than not. So he's like at least 51% bishonen.
He's not androgynous, but he's sort of ethereal & that does set him apart from his "team" (As opposed to Ed who is just crazy). He has special skills. His looks set him apart (or so I always assumed from the way Jet described him in the one ep). Vicious also is something of a bishonen in the classic sense (the devil in the flesh) while Jet isn't a bishonen. Vicious is drawn more in the classic bishonen style.

DomFortress wrote:

I'm a Capricorn, and it works to my advantage when I sat my goal to overcome myself not through personal conquests, but by surpassing myself.

My crazy mother-in-law was a Capricorn.
I'm not even going to go there.
(Would not surpassing oneself be personal conquests?)
I won't say what my sister says about Capricorns because it's insulting (& she is a Capricorn)

Last edited by CCSYueh on Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:42 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:

Your life is like any of these series?!

let me recount here

Have been a poor college student, looking back there were some funny moments.

Currently Struggling to make ends meet.

So the only thing missing is aliens.... maybe.....

But I prefer Fiction for entertainment over slice of life, going back to escapism.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:53 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Having a membership card of a swimming pool doesn't mean that you can pee in it.

I respectfully disagree. Don't get me wrong, I would love to believe it is true. But I've been in too many pools where the chlorine level was virtually intolerable because some child(ren) just peed in it.

I hope the Moderators do not come down hard on everyone just because one person didn't know where to flush his crap was being disrespectful.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:20 pm Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
But I prefer Fiction for entertainment over slice of life, going back to escapism.

I'm not seeing how those titles lack escapist elements though. Reflections of reality twisted through the lens of entertainment is still escapism. It can have messages or ideas about real-life elements, as well as representations of them (how often have people been drawn to a character or situation because it reminds them of something in their life?), but provide the entertainment for what you're talking about.

Same thing applies to some cases of the "perfect man/woman" -- there are aspects of a character that we find attractive in real life, and it's reflected in how we respond to any given character's actions, personality, what have you.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:29 pm Reply with quote
I generally don't want to escape back to high school or elementary school (bad memories). College maybe. But if I want a slice of life, I can try living my own, it has the serious dramatics moments, it's moments of sadness, as well as comedy.
Cloe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:34 pm Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
Kinda like me with slice of life shows, if I wanted it, I'd go out and interact/live my life (Why watch it when you can/have live(d) it?)

Sometimes because it's nice to be able to say "It's so true." HellKorn mentioned Honey & Clover as an example, and I adore that series because I can relate to it so well, as a former art student and heartbreak recipient.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:

Sometimes because it's nice to be able to say "It's so true." HellKorn mentioned Honey & Clover as an example, and I adore that series because I can relate to it so well, as a former art student and heartbreak recipient.

True, that probably why Genshiken appealed to me, as well I tried and had an informal anime/games group, but not in an official college club capacity.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:07 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
DomFortress wrote:
Here's another piece of fact to consider, I'm an ANN subscriber. So while I'm being different than the rest of the community, as an ANN official, you are all too eager to take me out despise my contribution. All because I was not being wrong, but being different.

Having a membership card of a swimming pool doesn't mean that you can pee in it.
dtm42 wrote:
dormcat wrote:

I respectfully disagree. Don't get me wrong, I would love to believe it is true. But I've been in too many pools where the chlorine level was virtually intolerable because some child(ren) just peed in it.

I hope the Moderators do not come down hard on everyone just because one person didn't know where to flush his crap was being disrespectful.
Still, neither one of you failed to produce real evidences to support your bias opinions on my person. So how about the both of you "man up" and tell it like it is, and let myself and others be the judges of my actions.

Quote:
INCREDIBLY LONG QUOTE

Do you like a man with a sense of humor that can make you laugh? If so, how do you think he could manage to do that without the child in him?

The adults who failed to act civil can't even teach their children how to be civil, that's the point I was trying to make. You automatically assumed that once people became adults, they will just behave civilly according to their age. Well age has nothing to do with civility, it's about how people from all walks of life behave themselves regardless of their ages, social status, genders, races, nationalities, and religions. It's about being politically correct.

John from Die Hard is a cop(NYPD, then LAPD and back again), so by his profession he is a civil servant(not special agent), who can only exercise his authority as a police detective within a given jurisdiction(no heroic anti-terrorism). He's not a hero by trade. However, the story of his life is "the wrong guy, in the wrong place, at the wrong time". And he had to do all those heroic stuffs because either his loved ones were involved, somebody had a score to settle with him, or he just felt like doing all those FBI, CIA, Navy SEAL, and all mannerism of anti-terrorist acts that's not part of his job description, because he can and therefore he must(yeppicaiyay)! So yeah, that's what makes him "that guy", the reluctant hero.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:01 am Reply with quote
Please do not quote long posts.

Seriously.
Barachem

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:55 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
Let's put it this way. A woman in her 70's married twice with 9 kids asking a gal in her 30's married once with 1 kid about what Bill Clinton got in trouble with over Monica Lewinski a few yrs later.

Cigar much, lol.
I thought more of putting things where waste comes out...

CCSYueh wrote:
The over-sexing thing is up & down. Yes, the media puts it in our faces, but don't forget Errol Flynn's little bout with statutory rape where he claimed the gal was dressed to kill & looked legal that night, but her lawyers dressed her like a teenybopper for court. In fact, that is maybe a tad easier to combat nowadays. Don't forget the numerous stories of guys who claimed to be older to join the service during the war, but now there seem to be at least some safeguards in place to provide better proof of age. Yeah, there will always be predators trolling for underage bait, but hopefully the info is out there & most guys know better than to even look twice.

Erm, i should have elaborated, you're missing hte point i wanted to make.
I wasn't talking about underage problems, even though those also exist, i was talking about young teens getting it off, becoming oversexualized and taking that into their late teens and adulthood.
Which in my opinion leads to evaluating a partner on his/her sexual attraction and performance more than the real character and personality.
Mistaking bodily contact for good portion of intimacy rather than the mind and soul connections.
And TV and other forms of media are portraying this behaviour as good consensus.
I have nothing with the individual choices people make, but please let teens be free from the bounds of sexualization, they already have enough problems with their bodily, hormonal, psychological and emotional changes.
If someone as an adult thinks it's good to pursue happiness in sex, he/she is free to do so.

But enough of this already, let's go back to the topic and related stuff.

LordRedhand wrote:
I've never really gotten a crush on any animated character... so the concept of going "crazy, head-over-heels" is a foreign concept to me. I mean sure I like certain female characters, but not to the point of well loving them. Kinda like me with slice of life shows, if I wanted it, I'd go out and interact/live my life (Why watch it when you can/have live(d) it?)

The same for me, i never really had a crush on a female anime character or any fictional character, because they do NOT exist to begin with.
I find it hard to grasp why fangirls DO have crushes on their favourite bishies.
Can anyone explain?
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:09 pm Reply with quote
DomFortress wrote:

Do you like a man with a sense of humor that can make you laugh? If so, how do you think he could manage to do that without the child in him?

I don't see all humor as childish.
I don't know too many children who can get the humor in The Lady's Not For Burning or Rosencranz & Guildenstein.

I did point out Robin Williams' statement. I fully grasp the idea of being adult, but keeping one's playfulness & that the people in this world who seem to be the least fun are the ones who seem fixated on being "adult" as exhibiting no chidlish behavior whatsoever.
You just seem fixated on arguing about a contradiction to an original argument the children are cruel or evil or whatever it was.
Because if you go back a couple pages THAT is what this was about. Not about adults retaining childish behaviors, but a blanket statement that children are cruel.
Children aren't cruel or evil. They are selfish & are taught to think of others.
Colin Wilson pointed out the concept of Satanists as wanting evil is a bogus idea because most creature's concept of good & evil is what benefits them is good & what doesn't is evil so to say a Satanist seeks evil is wrong. Most murderers are probably pretty selfish, but they are gaining some benefit/pleasure/gain from their crime so even if they know it is wrong (removing the whole mental health debate in other words) they continue to do it.
Thus this is continued selfish behavior.
As I said, my grandmother's line was "Boys never grow up"
Most of us do mature to the point we recognise it's not all about us, the world doesn't revolve around us, that it really IS better to give than to receive (I actually fall into that territory. I like to give presents far more than get presents). Yes, an eye for an eye & a tooth for a tooth is, to me, very juvenile, a view the more enlightened can rise above.
We hopefully realize the greater good (everyone in the neighborhood sleeping) is superior to self gratification (blasting the stereo at full blast at 2AM).

DomFortress wrote:

The adults who failed to act civil can't even teach their children how to be civil, that's the point I was trying to make. You automatically assumed that once people became adults, they will just behave civilly according to their age. Well age has nothing to do with civility, it's about how people from all walks of life behave themselves regardless of their ages, social status, genders, races, nationalities, and religions. It's about being politically correct.

Politically correct has nothing to do with it.
Your statement almost makes me wonder your experience with 3D kids.
Most adults I know who fail to teach their children manners either lack them themselves or are total wimps who cannot assert their authority. Yes there are exceptions to every rule, but I've met more than a few parents who let the kids run wild because they don't care about stopping them, or have given up trying.

DomFortress wrote:

John from Die Hard is a cop(NYPD, then LAPD and back again), so by his profession he is a civil servant(not special agent), who can only exercise his authority as a police detective within a given jurisdiction(no heroic anti-terrorism). He's not a hero by trade.

On the back of my work ID-mention of some government codes--
"declare that all public employees are 'Disaster Service Workers subject to such activities as may be assigned to them by their supervisors or by law'"

Sorry.
All public employees are "hero by trade", at least around here.

What do you think makes someone want to be a cop? God knows there are much easier jobs that pay more & get far more respect. We do unpaid overtime at my job all the time just to keep up with the workload, trust me.

DomFortress wrote:

However, the story of his life is "the wrong guy, in the wrong place, at the wrong time". And he had to do all those heroic stuffs because either his loved ones were involved, somebody had a score to settle with him, or he just felt like doing all those FBI, CIA, Navy SEAL, and all mannerism of anti-terrorist acts that's not part of his job description, because he can and therefore he must(yeppicaiyay)! So yeah, that's what makes him "that guy", the reluctant hero.

No.
Die Hard is simply another "cop doing cop work off the clock" like Beverly Hills Cop & other films. An extension of all those John Wayne/whoever saving the day movies that have always existed. And yeah, most aren't really all that realistic because most officers I know may offer help, but they also understand stomping on the toes of the local authority, so while they may be willing to provide extensive observations should they be a witness, etc., most I know are the first to recognise they have no authority beyond the ability we all possess to make a citizen's arrest & wait for the local law to come out & do their job.

Quote:
I wasn't talking about underage problems, even though those also exist, i was talking about young teens getting it off, becoming oversexualized and taking that into their late teens and adulthood.
Which in my opinion leads to evaluating a partner on his/her sexual attraction and performance more than the real character and personality.
Mistaking bodily contact for good portion of intimacy rather than the mind and soul connections.
And TV and other forms of media are portraying this behaviour as good consensus.
I have nothing with the individual choices people make, but please let teens be free from the bounds of sexualization, they already have enough problems with their bodily, hormonal, psychological and emotional changes.

But we have always had shotgun marriages, haven't we?
Don't forget it's mostly been the last century or so we've really created "teens" as an extension of childhood. Juliet is compared to practically being an old maid for not being wed at her age (was it 14? 15? I forget right now). It wasn't really all that long ago puberty was adulthood & what we deem children were expected to be pulling their own weight around that age.

Quote:
I find it hard to grasp why fangirls DO have crushes on their favourite bishies.
Can anyone explain?

It's not just fangirls.
Really, it takes a certain type of person to appreciate drawn characterd over "live" ones, but isn't the whole concept of porn mags guys using "fake" gals as the stuff of their fantasies? Gals have really only moved into that territory since the whole women's equality movement & we're still pretty far behind you guys.
On the other hand, Prince Charming & fairy tales have been around forever. The idea some perfect fantasy guy will show up to take a gal away from the drudgery of life goes back a long way. Guys have also always had their fantasy gals.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:37 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:

Quote:
Can anyone explain?

It's not just fangirls.
Really, it takes a certain type of person to appreciate drawn characterd over "live" ones, but isn't the whole concept of porn mags guys using "fake" gals as the stuff of their fantasies? Gals have really only moved into that territory since the whole women's equality movement & we're still pretty far behind you guys.
On the other hand, Prince Charming & fairy tales have been around forever. The idea some perfect fantasy guy will show up to take a gal away from the drudgery of life goes back a long way. Guys have also always had their fantasy gals.

I don't think it's even a matter of preferring fictional characters over real ones for most fangirls/boys. I know that I have several female anime characters I greatly admire for both their appearances or personalities, but that doesn't mean for a second that I don't prefer the real deal. The thing is, the majority of anime characters are intentionally designed to be appealing in some way to some viewer or other, so it's only natural and normal for fans to have certain characters that tickle their fancies in some way. The problem arises when one takes that attraction to an unhealthy or obsessive level, to the point where it overshadows their desire for a real physical relationship.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Barachem wrote:

Can anyone explain?

Very Happy Really? Is it even fangirl-specific? Growing up, a lot of my male friends had crushes on Gadget, from Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers. And she was a mouse.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:52 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Barachem wrote:

Can anyone explain?

Very Happy Really? Is it even fangirl-specific? Growing up, a lot of my male friends had crushes on Gadget, from Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers. And she was a mouse.

Haaa...I know just where your friends were coming from. Guilty as charged. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 18