• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chicks On Anime - The Perfect Man(?)

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
SakechanBD wrote:
Barachem wrote:

I find it hard to grasp why fangirls DO have crushes on their favourite bishies.
Can anyone explain?

Very Happy Really? Is it even fangirl-specific? Growing up, a lot of my male friends had crushes on Gadget, from Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers. And she was a mouse.

Haaa...I know just where your friends were coming from. Guilty as charged. Very Happy

Rodents freak me out so..
but you know what I noticed, and I might be wrong here but if a manga or anime gets a live action version the fangirl rate for the animated (or comic) character spikes up if the actor is popular or attractive. This might be due to all the Johnny's Entertainment fan girls though. Like in The Gokusen Shin had a lot more fangirls after the live action version got popular with female fans. (I think a lot of people saw the anime first.) Why? Jun Matsumoto that's why.
Soshi from Absolute Boyfriend had his niche but Night had the majority of fans (I on the other hand found the whole "I'm rejecting you for a robot" thing weird) but Hiro Mizushima seemed to convert some fangirls. I have to admit though his character was cooler in the live action while in the manga he was a bit strange.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
FAR TOO LONG QUOTATION
And here I was thinking it's poetic justice, when CLAMP made the ultimate girlfriend Chi from Chobits. Razz

{MODERATION EDIT: You have previously been asked, with varying degrees of politeness, not to post extremely long quotations -- edit them, so that they contain only the point you are responding to. Furthermore, the forum rules make it clear that one-liner posts are discouraged. You are hereby given a final warning not to violate these guidelines again. -- abunai}
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
SakechanBD wrote:
Barachem wrote:

I find it hard to grasp why fangirls DO have crushes on their favourite bishies.
Can anyone explain?

Very Happy Really? Is it even fangirl-specific? Growing up, a lot of my male friends had crushes on Gadget, from Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers. And she was a mouse.

Haaa...I know just where your friends were coming from. Guilty as charged. Very Happy

Glad I'm not the only one. I always felt a bit weird on that one. Though in my defense I did always think Jasmine from Aladdin was cute. The animated tv series was kinda lame really but she was nice to watch. Embarassed
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Realistically, there is a certain type of person who can appreciate drawn characters as fantasy material on the subject of anime/manga charactrers, but I never saw the reality or point to all these fans drooling over various celebrities. Back when I was a kid, the teen mags encouraged it with articles like "Your date with Davy Jones". MOST OF THESE TEENYBOPPERS HAD A SNOWBALL'S CHANCE IN HELL OF A DATE WITH DAVY JONES. Little things calling themselves "Mrs John Lennon" or dream of waking up next to Marilyn Monroe.

Is that any less fantasy than drooling over Sasuke or Tamaki? So they're real people--they aren't people most of us will ever meet. Hollywood pitches the idea "It can happen" with stories of some little nobody who catches the eye of BIG CELEB & they're living happily ever after by the end of the story.

Yes, some of it is fan fics/fan art & the writer is just writing a fantasy, but there ARE people out there who are very much caught up in the concept they can ride the oceans with Jack Sparrow or go to Hogwarts. Yes, young kids do live rich fantasy lives, but at some point most of us realize these fictional characters can never be ours, though it doesn't stop a large number of fools from looking for live versions of their favorite fictional character.
Barachem

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:49 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:

I can't totally explain it either with men.
But Gadget?
I read about that earlier on the net, but never ever considered her myself to be attractive.
However, when i watched Swat Kats in the past, i, as an avid meganekko liker, didn't entertain much thought for the meganekko Callie Briggs, but in hindsight i can't deny that i find her to be quite attrractive.

So i can understand a part of it.
While i am attracted to personalities of some meganekko characters in anime and find many of them visually attractive as well as certain nonmeganekko characters, i can't say i ever had crushes on them like i had with certain real girls and women with glasses.
And no, those were not unattainable stars, i'm too realistic for that.
arachneia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:50 pm Reply with quote
musouka wrote:
But you get that sort of thing a lot. That whole handed dismissal of "bishounen" as being proof that all women are lesbians, or they have terrible taste in guys. When I look at a "bishounen", unless he is supposed to be a crossdresser, I see a man. It doesn't matter to me if he has long hair, or is somewhat slender--after all, I'm still a woman if I have a shaved head and any body shape imaginable. But somehow, it always ends up that my eyes are "wrong", and the male perspective is inevitably the right one. Even other girls will talk disparagingly about another girl's taste, as though that gives them extra bonus points in the boys' treehouse.

I don't want to demean your opinion in any way, but when I look at bishounen, I don't see men. They may have a penis, but they are feminine in every other aspect. Some people, myself included, find virility to require more than a phallus, and though you could argue that this is a product of social mores rather than nature, our perception of men is what it is. An effeminate man might be a man physically, but I will never, ever see him as a man that I would have sexual interest in.

Quote:
This bothers me even though my own taste doesn't even run towards bishounen. I'm more interested in dissecting characterization than making a harem, but on my very short "would date if real" list (him, him, him, and him), I think most fall under "acceptable" standards of masculinity.

Likewise, I think characterization is one of the most interesting aspects of story-telling. And, I'd like to add my own props for mentioning Tenma.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 18 of 18