• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chicks On Anime - The Perfect Man(?)

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DomFortress

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:35 pm Reply with quote
LordPrometheus wrote:
Quote:
A decent guy, not a slick bastard.

A good guy, not a nice guy.

Call me crazy, but I always sort of lumped, "decent", "good", and "nice" into the same general category of behavior. What am I missing here, and why are "good" and "nice" mutually exclusive?? Confused
Decency is about doing what you know it's good for the society, for it is the right thing to do. But you being nice to those who don't deserve to be treated nicely, like those with selfish intents and are doing what's bad for the society, for it is the wrong thing to do. Then you're just appealing and orienting to the wrong crowd, no matter how popular they seem to be as a majority, and that's just not good at all.
Alestal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:36 pm Reply with quote
turboyoshi wrote:
Hmm, interesting topic. I'm a guy and I sure don't know what the perfect man is but barachem's description seems to be pretty close to my own ideas.

I'm glad Paradise Kiss was brought up, I loved that series. I completely agree with Sara, though. I hate George and see him as a person who is ultimately selfish and not capable of a genuine love. At the least, he's more in love with his work than he'd ever be with a woman. And yet, that type seem to have their fans and I find myself completely unable to comprehend this.

Casey's mini biology lesson is news to me though. It seems to support my own experiences but I thought I was just easy.

I think that people who call George selfish really need to pay attension to the series, the reason that spoiler[George wasn't going to go after his dreams was because he needed a more reliable job to support his mother. George loved Yukari but he wasn't in love with her, they were incompatible and immature, it was raw sexual feelings and George knew that and promised nothing. ]
Ill admit that my first impression was that George was an asshole but then I realized that what he really wanted was for Yukari to be more independant and to go after what she wanted. When Yukari meets George at the library and they have lunch she is overjoyed with the fact that George would listen to everything she had to say, and that no one had ever listened to her talk about what she wanted before, she bears her heart and its an amazing scene. George nutured Yukari to make her own decisions and stop being told what she wanted to do and be from her parents. Yukari was extremely complassent and was changing herself constantly to make the people around her happy, George was getting frustrated constantly by this because this quality within her because it reminded him of how his train-wreck whiny dependant mother is. If anyone has seen Paradise kissto the end there is no way you could think that George is a jerk spoiler[ he leaves Yukari the dresses that were his lifes work as an artist,as a sign for his love for her.] George is an amazing multi-faceted character.

Last edited by Alestal on Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
abynormal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:45 pm Reply with quote
"I don't know… Never underestimate the extent to which writers don't understand their own process!"

This is SO true! A few days ago I was listening to an interview with Joss Whedon on the radio, and he mentioned an incident where he noticed that fans were discussing a lesbian subtext between Buffy and another character (Faith?). Since Whedon was an active member of the fan community, he staunchly denied their claims and accused them of reading too much into the show.

They calmly responded by linking him to a website that thoroughly explained their views, and Whedon ended up apologizing, not having realized that he'd written any kind of subtext into the show. It was a complete accident.

With regards to the effeminate male leads in shoujo, girls are attracted to pretty things. Pretty clothes, pretty jewelry, and pretty people. Even shonen manga artists know they need to make their male leads physically appealing to girls to draw in that fringe audience. You can psychoanalyze it all you want, but it all comes down to making things pretty. And girls like pretty.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Barachem wrote:
LordPrometheus wrote:
Quote:
A decent guy, not a slick bastard.

A good guy, not a nice guy.

Call me crazy, but I always sort of lumped, "decent", "good", and "nice" into the same general category of behavior. What am I missing here, and why are "good" and "nice" mutually exclusive?? Confused

In principle the adjectives decent, good and nice are overlapping, but in conjecture with men or women, their meaning gets more distinct.
A decent guy is someone who treats others with respect, while holding on to his own ideals.
A good guy is a man who tries to treat the other gender well, but will not be a slave to woman to get some booty or her affection and be hard to a manipulative woman if necessary.

A nice guy will latch onto a woman he knows well and endure all kinds of emotional mistreating in the hope of getting laid with her or getting her to notice him.
In the meantime she thinks of him as a nice male friend whom she'd never date because he's too dependent on others, especially her and she'll date all kinds of other men and go out with them, whether they be good guys to be with or not.
The nice guy will complain about her having eyes for other men and not him and still secretly hopes to swoop her away with his niceness.

I was once a nice guy who had his hopes set on a good friend of his, but some years made me decide to move on and this good friend is still a good friend.
Currently i'm not on the lookout for women, as most are vapid anyway.
Yes, the exceptions are there, but i'm desillusioned in having to spend so much time, monay and effort in trying set up a faintly possible relationship with a woman, who will most likely reject me.
In that sense i'll gladly take and keep my single life as it is and not worry about a potentially stressful relationship.
I wouldn't mind getting into a meaningful relationship with a christian woman, but i am not giving any effort in it due to what i've experienced with how most women, even christian ones, are.
Yet i'll try to respect them and other people as much as possible.

DomFortress wrote:
Your view of a "perfect man" has the word "dynamic" written all over it. And I for one, like that quality in a man. Because that's the kind of man with unlimited growth and potential. Who's confident enough in what he does, but also with enough sense of self-esteem, to be constantly aware of how he feels about what he does that defines him. And I can say this is the kind of man I'm inspired to be, am challenging myself to become, that hopefully one day, I can look myself with my mind's eye and say "yeah, I'm that guy."

Oh yes, i like your description of what you mean with "dynamic".
It's concise and to the point.
I hope to be dynamic, a man who does stuff, even if others don't see it, as long as he can see it.
I hope to see more about myself, challenge myself, grow beyond who i am now.

DomFortress wrote:
However, I have to disagree on your opinion about the gar type male character being purposely solitary macho loners, otherwise I won't be inspired to become someone like Captain Harlock, Roy Forker, Ryo Saeba, Coach Oda, Ozma Lee, Ramba Ral, Dozle Zabi, Noris Packard, and last but not least Kamina. I respect these fictional characters because they knew what it take to fight for what they believe in, and what they believed in are themselves, their comrades, and that which holds true to their hearts. They don't purposely distance themselves by becoming anti-social, it only seems to be that way because they held a much higher moral standings than the rest of the society do. And they do have people who agree and support them for being who they are and what they stand for, and they in terms form this dynamic relationship with those that they care about. They are capable of forming true relationship with those that they held dear, because they know the true wisdom of the word "quality over quantity" and thus, they're incapable of anti-social behaviors.

Ok, i'll agree with you on this kind of "gar".
I actually meant the Archer kind of "gar", where the character has stopped in his tracks and seems the pinnacle of manliness, all the while demonstrating that he has become dull and pointless and has rusted his skills, even though they're very impressive.
The bitter kind of "gar".

I can see you've put a lot of effort and guts in redefining your relationship with the most important person to you in this world, and that's yourself. And I'm confident to say that you did the right thing. when you decided not to be just a nice guy anymore.

Your intuition regarding what a nice guy ultimately comes down to, is as precise as with my personal experience of being the typical nice guy for almost 11 years, to a girl who in the end never deserved the kind of abuses that I put us through. Because she didn't love me in the way I wanted her to be, and I was miserable for being the typical nice guy role. "Nice Guy finishes last" has never been so true in every sense of the word.
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:20 pm Reply with quote
So, basically, what you're saying is that a good guy is a good guy and a nice guy is a sucker and/or insincere? Confused
ryogasasaki

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:34 pm Reply with quote
[quote="zanarkand princess"]Aright my question is what about guys like Koizumi from Haruhi. He seems to have quite a lot of female fans. Where would he fit in all of this. I have no where to place him "Weird guy girls like anyway?"quote]

Hmm.. interesting you brought Itsuki up. I consider him in the same category as Fye from Tsubasa.

I guess you could call that category: "weird, smiley guy in the background who has awsome powers when he decides to" guys. Anime hyper

On a different note.
Two of my favorite bishies are Kyo (Fruits Basket) and Otani (Lovely Complex).
I seriously have a school girl crush on them... Even though it hurts to admit it.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Earth_Wyrm wrote:
So, basically, what you're saying is that a good guy is a good guy and a nice guy is a sucker and/or insincere? Confused
I'm saying that a decent man is dynamic enough to be both good and nice, by doing what's right. But in order to be a decent man, you're gonna need a lot of qualifications and requirements on your plate. And I can tell you this, money is not an issue when it comes to quality, but it is required to have in order to maintain a certain standard of living.
kitsunexfox

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Deleted

Last edited by kitsunexfox on Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:34 am; edited 1 time in total
lys

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Ah, this sort of topic gets my shoujo-manga-loving heart all a-flutter! (also... I know this column is "Chicks On Anime," but what about the vast realm of shoujo manga and its approach to the Perfect Guy? Anime is pretty limited when it comes to the shoujo-demographic... and yes, HanaDan and Fushigi Yuugi are "classics" but they're quite a few years old now and it'd be interesting to see how/if trends have changed with more recent popular series)

I took a quick look at my own collection of manga and tried to come up with an overarching trend that my choice of titles reflected. Of some 33 series, the terms "tragic" and "cool" each applied to at least 7 of the male leads, "girly" and "sweet" each got 5, and "hero" applied to 4 (others like shy/silent/oblivious/playboy/bully/wimp/prince/ninja/etc also entered in, but the first five had the most, and covered my favourite titles). Cool and tragic are hard to escape in shoujo manga, but I think the girly/sweet/hero labels are more reflective of my own taste in manga. Whatever that says about me... (though looking at the popularity of series like Otomen in Japan (with the first volume just arriving here), I know I'm not alone!)

Still, as a reader in my 20s, I'm very well aware that these "types" are highly unrealistic (though if I'm honest I'll admit that I've wished it otherwise on occasion), and I've had my fair share of thoughts of "This guy is adorable on the page, but I know he would drive me crazy if he were real!!" I don't think it's hurting anything to enjoy these stories as fiction. Teenage girls inevitably WILL fall for Tragically Beautiful Romance stories, but I'm pretty sure most of them grow out of it (or at least realize and accept it ain't gonna happen in real life, as they continue to enjoy it in books and manga)
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:00 pm Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:

The one type of popular guy I never understood were the one's that were supposedly perfect. Like a guy from a magical girl show. Mamoru from sailor moon is one example. I never really cared for him. I thought he was creepy. Same goe for Aoyama from Tokyo mew mew and Syaoran from Card Captors Sakura. I do like him in Tsubasa though.

Wait, are you saying Syaoran is "perfect"? O,o I never really got that from him. He spends most of the series trying to come to grips with the fact that he likes Sakura, and even when he does, he has a really hard time confessing to her. I don't know, I wouldn't lump him in with the "perfect" crowd... I'd put him more along the lines of Kyo from Fruits Basket.

And as for Tsubasa... which Syaoran do you mean? Wink
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Well I was more saying he was a typical magical girl guy then calling him perfect.

Of course I'm talking about the same Syaoran from Tsubasa Razz
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Well I was more saying he was a typical magical girl guy then calling him perfect.

I mean which Syaoran in Tsubasa? There's technically about three of them you could count... Very Happy
DomFortress

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Lys wrote:
Ah, this sort of topic gets my shoujo-manga-loving heart all a-flutter! (also... I know this column is "Chicks On Anime," but what about the vast realm of shoujo manga and its approach to the Perfect Guy? Anime is pretty limited when it comes to the shoujo-demographic... and yes, HanaDan and Fushigi Yuugi are "classics" but they're quite a few years old now and it'd be interesting to see how/if trends have changed with more recent popular series)

I took a quick look at my own collection of manga and tried to come up with an overarching trend that my choice of titles reflected. Of some 33 series, the terms "tragic" and "cool" each applied to at least 7 of the male leads, "girly" and "sweet" each got 5, and "hero" applied to 4 (others like shy/silent/oblivious/playboy/bully/wimp/prince/ninja/etc also entered in, but the first five had the most, and covered my favourite titles). Cool and tragic are hard to escape in shoujo manga, but I think the girly/sweet/hero labels are more reflective of my own taste in manga. Whatever that says about me... (though looking at the popularity of series like Otomen in Japan (with the first volume just arriving here), I know I'm not alone!)

Still, as a reader in my 20s, I'm very well aware that these "types" are highly unrealistic (though if I'm honest I'll admit that I've wished it otherwise on occasion), and I've had my fair share of thoughts of "This guy is adorable on the page, but I know he would drive me crazy if he were real!!" I don't think it's hurting anything to enjoy these stories as fiction. Teenage girls inevitably WILL fall for Tragically Beautiful Romance stories, but I'm pretty sure most of them grow out of it (or at least realize and accept it ain't gonna happen in real life, as they continue to enjoy it in books and manga)
Aha! But sometimes crazy is just what the situation calls for, if you truly wish to have a more meaningful relationship in real life with someone that you truly love. Otherwise, I should completely forget about marrying to my current girlfriend for 3 years, 4 years after her career in nursing, and start a family with our first child to be a girl. Crazy talk indeed! Very Happy
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Julia-the-Great wrote:

I mean which Syaoran in Tsubasa? There's technically about three of them you could count... Very Happy

Main character Syaoran I mean. CLAMP and their crossovers confuse me sometimes.
Hanatarou

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:43 pm Reply with quote
I love George of Paradise Kiss, not only is he a three dimensional character, but he is closer to real life. If anyone has ever been in a relationship with an artist, then they know. Their art comes first. I believe George loves her, but not at the expense of creating. Is it selfish, yes, but I understand it since I have been on the other end. Can you live with that mindset? That would be up to the individual.
The same goes for the Nana characters. They are all selfish, some more than others. This is what makes me like the characters. Chiaki in Nodame is the same. He does love her and it comes through in what he wants for her. He sees and understands her talent, better than she does.
As for the perfect male. Meh, I go for the "bad, but hot" or if they have a great since of humor. Kyon would be an example of that. I, also. like Zero better than Kaname in Vampire Knight. More substance, imo
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 18