• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Remastered

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
superdry

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:33 am Reply with quote
TheZeonicFront wrote:
So I attempted Tales of Abyss and utterly hated the hero and couldn't finish.

With that in mind can someone recommend a Tales game to me where the main hero isn't a crybaby jerkface?

Tales of Vesperia, but you'll need a 360 unless you can play the game in Japanese then its getting a greatest hits rerelease in Japan on the ps3 in August. The game does fall into other JRPG cliches along the way. I think the first Tales of Symphonia did not have a whiney lead either.
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:43 am Reply with quote
TheZeonicFront wrote:

Out of curiosity, how far did you play it? The MC is supposed to come across as an obnoxious asshole over the first plot arc.
Mee Deggi The Punisher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Tenebrae wrote:
TheZeonicFront wrote:

Out of curiosity, how far did you play it? The MC is supposed to come across as an obnoxious asshole over the first plot arc.

This. You are missing out on some great character development if you quit too early.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:59 pm Reply with quote
I bought FF7 and FF8 for PC way back when it originally came out so... why is this a new thing? Steam achievements? Really? That's all? Passssssss. I haven't tried playing 7 on my Windows7 computer yet, but I've gotten the FF8 game to work just fine on my current system, and if I recall correctly those two were released on PC pretty close together.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Huh, looks like CAPCOM might re-release its JJBA fighting game on XBLA:

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/07/11/rumor-jojos-bizarre-adventure-hd-coming-from-capcom/
TheZeonicFront

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Mee Deggi The Punisher wrote:
Tenebrae wrote:
TheZeonicFront wrote:

This. You are missing out on some great character development if you quit too early.

From what I read he stops being a spoiled jerk and just whines all the time after that. I could be wrong of course since I didn't make it that far but trading a jerkoff for a guy who complains that he isn't good enough to save the world is exchanging one horrible trope for another.

Right now I'm playing Lunar for the first time and love it. So I am fine with JRPG sterotypes if the ride is enjoyable. If any of the Tales games feel like Lunar than I am in. I'm also a sucker for sappy romance in JRPGs.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Why in god's name is that girl in the first Xillia screencap practically wearing a BDSM outfit?

Who in god's name would fight in something like that?
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Who in god's name would fight in something like that?

It could be worse. She could be wearing nothing but pants and a red bandana, rushing a Soviet military base in the desert, while being shot at.

Let's nickname her Rambolette.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:04 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
I think the first Tales of Symphonia did not have a whiney lead either.

Yeah, but it did have an incredibly dumb one instead, so...
sfried

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:05 pm Reply with quote
No Rhythm Thief review Todd?
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
I might have to look into Nights. Both for the reason that I'm curious about the game, but also because I hope it encourages Sega to look into getting Panzer Dragoon Saga on LiveArcade as well. (And the Wiistore and the Playstation Store as well -- I think everyone should be able to experience this brilliant game regardless of which console they own.)

SEGA lost orginal source code to Panzer Dragoon Saga. And is no longer supporting Wii.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
NiGHTS was weird as a mascot character. He should have just slapped a suit of armour and jetpack onto an opossum or something.

Nights started development in 1994. It was Sonic Team's attempt to do something different. After Sonic 3, SEGA of Japan felt the series need a much needed break.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Among all Sega games, I really want a HD re-release for Skies of Arcadia. Leaving that game on two systems that RPG fans didn't own is a crime.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Aquario: If it's as awesome as the Monster World franchise, it's definitely a yes.

Tales of Xillia: Already so much moaning and crying about how this game isn't complete and how they're not going to release some sort of complete DC version when Xillia 2 is already in development. I'm still getting it.

FFVII HD: Eh, not seeing much point to this one really.

NiGHTS HD: You'd be quite surprised at how many want this remaster. The game does have a cult following.

Heroes of Ruin: Already saw furry fanart for this. Moving on.

TheZeonicFront wrote:
Right now I'm playing Lunar for the first time and love it. So I am fine with JRPG sterotypes if the ride is enjoyable. If any of the Tales games feel like Lunar than I am in. I'm also a sucker for sappy romance in JRPGs.

No. There are no sappy romances in Tales games, just predictable ones.

Last edited by belvadeer on Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:32 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Among all Sega games, I really want a HD re-release for Skies of Arcadia. Leaving that game on two systems that RPG fans didn't own is a crime.

SEGA will soon be bringing more of its classic IPs to XBLA,PSN,Steam and different mobile platforms. This is their new 3rd party strategy as Sega Orbi Enterprises begins to form and organize.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3