• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Justin Chatwin: Dragonball Film Sequel Already Written

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Actually, DB's less otaku-ey than other shows, which is why it's as successful as Pokemon and Naruto. But this adaptation is trying to appeal to idiots, rather than casual buyers. Anyway, I'm just waiting for Astro Boy and (hopefully) Blood.
Da Games Elite

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:01 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Da Game: Are you kidding? Hanna Montana killed an Alba movie and Rambo, while Twilight beat a Bond flick. As for X-Men, they appear at different ages in the comics, too, depending on which story you're reading. And they do occasionally wear special suits in the training room. As for Transformers, it was actually more successful due to fanboys than to general audiences, since the latter group is not geeky enough to embrace that kind of thing, while the fanboys think Beast Wars is a masterpiece. Rolling Eyes And no American really likes DB the way they do Z; so that's already going to screw up this movie's box office.

Which Alba movie? Do you mean the Eye or whatever? I'm not familiar with when the last Hannah Montana movie came out. That was a lousy remake to begin with, not to mention, once again, different demographics (The Eye was mostly aimed toward teenage boys only, not males in general and families like DB:E looks like it is). As for Twilight, that was also a different fanbase, aiming more at young girls from Middle School to High School, not to mention that James Bond is a series that has had 22 previous installments. You can't really compare Twilight's situation to DB:E's...no, wait, actually, you can! They are both rather popular series that many fans were complaining about at times. I remember Twilight fangirls complaining even a few months before the film came out, and that was both obnoxiously under budgeted and ill received early on by the fans. At least DB:E has a budget more than twice as large as Twilight's (wasn't Twilight with $45 million or so and DB:E with a tad over $100?). Not to mention that it's coming out around the time people really want to see big action films in the movies (namely summer films).

Look, in regards to X-Men, I was talking about the general continuity. I'm well aware that the comic books tend to contradict themselves occasionally, but let's be honest here: everyone whose read the comics can agree that Iceman and Angel appear before Wolverine and Storm and is a veteran to the team long before those two sign up. We can also agree that Sabertooth, Mystique, and even Lady Deathstrike all appear after Pheonix. I am also well aware that the X-Men change their uniforms too. I remember Storm having a Mohawk at one point. The X-Men series has more room for interpretation, but no one complained when they made changes...no, wait, they did! They did complain! A lot, if I might add. Did it turn out to be a good movie? I sure as hell say so. Anime smile

And seriously, do you really think the majority of film goers are fanboys or movie critics? No, they just want to see a good action show. And while people don't care for DB in America as much as DBZ, the Daimou saga had everything people liked about DBZ in it, just with some DB elements. The new trailers show the movie has a more DBZ feel to it than the original DB series did. It doesn't feel nearly as magical and loose, but rather a tad darker and more intense. I think people will flock to see it as far as guys wanting to see action goes. Look, did anyone predict Iron Man to be popular? Sure, Iron Man is a great movie in the technical form, but let's be honest here: it really did sort of come out of left field entirely. I think DB:E will meet similar box office success, though probably not to that high degree. Enough to warrant Vegeta--er--the sequel. Anime smile
braves

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
WConsidering how those movies look like they had a budget, and DBE does not, and DBE is based on a franchise that only otaku would care about...ha ha ha.

Ya know, I think this movie will suck majorly, but there are problems with this statement. The DB franchise is far, far, far from being a series that only "otaku" care about and secondly, this movie had a budget of over $100 million.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Well...coulda fooled me. IMO, it looks barely better than that crappy movie that was originally a copyright-infringing Chinese version...the one with the magical pearls and such that looks like a Super Sentai episode.

Plus, the crowd for DBE is mostly people who thought Dragonball was SOOO COOOLLL and the epitome of anime back in the '90s. The more mature among them have moved on, but I'm sure there's still people who think it's the best thing EVAR.
braves

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Plus, the crowd for DBE is mostly people who thought Dragonball was SOOO COOOLLL and the epitome of anime back in the '90s.

Er, no. The audience for this movie are the kids who still watch it today. Hence why it's aiming for a PG rating.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Da Games Elite

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:18 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
WConsidering how those movies look like they had a budget, and DBE does not, and DBE is based on a franchise that only otaku would care about...ha ha ha.

Ya know, I think this movie will suck majorly, but there are problems with this statement. The DB franchise is far, far, far from being a series that only "otaku" care about and secondly, this movie had a budget of over $100 million.

Besides the point that other movies were supposed to be series that only geeks cared about, like Iron Man. Anime smile

Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Well...coulda fooled me. IMO, it looks barely better than that crappy movie that was originally a copyright-infringing Chinese version...the one with the magical pearls and such that looks like a Super Sentai episode.

Plus, the crowd for DBE is mostly people who thought Dragonball was SOOO COOOLLL and the epitome of anime back in the '90s. The more mature among them have moved on, but I'm sure there's still people who think it's the best thing EVAR.

Super Sentai? C'mon, the Korean movie is what you get when you remain painfully close to the source material that can't be translated into LA. The Magic Begins was extremely cheesy...please compare the two clips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly843iFcKjI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYT6TFuAHL4

Look, only last year my entire track team got into a massive conversation about how awesome DBZ was. The entire male team, specifically, of well over fifty people. These aren't just geeks; these are just ordinary people who were not anime fans. I think I was the only otaku in the bunch, but maybe there were one or two others there. I don't know. I can guarantee, though, that there are many people who would see DB:E. Anime smile
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Da Games:
Quote:
That was a lousy remake to begin with, not to mention, once again, different demographics (The Eye was mostly aimed toward teenage boys only, not males in general and families like DB:E looks like it is).

Lousy remakes don't stop them from getting remade, unfortunately. And since when are young boys and families going to be impressed by this sucker, when they got Harry Potter and TF 2 to drool over?

Quote:
You can't really compare Twilight's situation to DB:E's...no, wait, actually, you can! They are both rather popular series that many fans were complaining about at times. I remember Twilight fangirls complaining even a few months before the film came out, and that was both obnoxiously under budgeted and ill received early on by the fans. At least DB:E has a budget more than twice as large as Twilight's (wasn't Twilight with $45 million or so and DB:E with a tad over $100?).

Twilight was shot on the cheap, because it didn't need a big budget. DB: E ran into cost overruns, because of all that "re-shooting" to hide the suck. Plus, Twilight had a director who cared about the material.

Quote:
The X-Men series has more room for interpretation, but no one complained when they made changes...no, wait, they did! They did complain! A lot, if I might add. Did it turn out to be a good movie? I sure as hell say so.

The changes in X-men, though, are generally just cosmetic, though, not gutting the main idea of the series and characters.

Quote:
Look, did anyone predict Iron Man to be popular? Sure, Iron Man is a great movie in the technical form, but let's be honest here: it really did sort of come out of left field entirely.

Iron Man had Downey, though, and this sucker has Chatwin, so...

Da Games: The Magic Begins wasn't faithful to the source material; it was faithful to the Monkey King story, but they slapped DB on the title to try to get more people to watch it. I'm not even sure if the production company even got the legal right to do so, either.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:01 pm Reply with quote
I hope to God this thing does wind up producing a sequel or two, just so that I'll get to hear all the actual DB fans continuing to whine and rant. Schadenfreude really is a wonderful thing. Very Happy
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
I hope to God this thing does wind up producing a sequel or two, just so that I'll get to hear all the actual DB fans continuing to whine and rant. Schadenfreude really is a wonderful thing. Very Happy

You say this is amusing now, but look at how GATSU is still carrying his one-man war against live-action Transformers on
Da Games Elite

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:06 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Da Games:
Quote:
That was a lousy remake to begin with, not to mention, once again, different demographics (The Eye was mostly aimed toward teenage boys only, not males in general and families like DB:E looks like it is).

Lousy remakes don't stop them from getting remade, unfortunately. And since when are young boys and families going to be impressed by this sucker, when they got Harry Potter and TF 2 to drool over?

While I do agree on the first part, I do have to disagree with your second point. Look, DB:E comes out in April, while TF 2 comes out in June and Harry Potter in July. Most films' revenue at the box office fizzles out after the first month to month and a half. TF 2 would come out after DB:E finishes with the Box Office. TF 2 and Harry Potter have more to worry about from each other than DB:E.

GATSU wrote:
You can't really compare Twilight's situation to DB:E's...no, wait, actually, you can! They are both rather popular series that many fans were complaining about at times. I remember Twilight fangirls complaining even a few months before the film came out, and that was both obnoxiously under budgeted and ill received early on by the fans. At least DB:E has a budget more than twice as large as Twilight's (wasn't Twilight with $45 million or so and DB:E with a tad over $100?).

Twilight was shot on the cheap, because it didn't need a big budget. DB: E ran into cost overruns, because of all that "re-shooting" to hide the suck. Plus, Twilight had a director who cared about the material. [/quote]

While I do agree with you in the first statement, the other two I have problems with. Number one, MANY films have reshoots. A recent example is Wolverine, which had to go back for reshoots not long after DB:E. The reshoots were also mainly additions for the Goku/Piccolo fight. Not to mention that we have no idea whether or not Wong cared about DB:E. We do have evidence that James Marsters wasa huge DB fan, though, and supposedly Chatwin liked DBZ alot too.

GATSU wrote:
The X-Men series has more room for interpretation, but no one complained when they made changes...no, wait, they did! They did complain! A lot, if I might add. Did it turn out to be a good movie? I sure as hell say so.

The changes in X-men, though, are generally just cosmetic, though, not gutting the main idea of the series and characters. [/quote]

Untrue. Lady Deathstrike's character was reduced to a silent strong type, as opposed to her having a deep grudge against Wolverine. Rogue became much less flirtatious. Professor X, with the exception of X-Men United, was given an almost saint-like role. And besides, how are the changes made to X-Men any different than the ones made to DB:E?

GATSU wrote:
Look, did anyone predict Iron Man to be popular? Sure, Iron Man is a great movie in the technical form, but let's be honest here: it really did sort of come out of left field entirely.

Iron Man had Downey, though, and this sucker has Chatwin, so...

Da Games: The Magic Begins wasn't faithful to the source material; it was faithful to the Monkey King story, but they slapped DB on the title to try to get more people to watch it. I'm not even sure if the production company even got the legal right to do so, either.[/quote]

True. but DB:E also has Chow-Yun Fat. Anime smile

That is very true. They did the same to a lot of other franchises, like Dawn of the Dead with the movie Zombie, some of the Hellraiser sequels...which is upsetting... Sad
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:30 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
And no American really likes DB the way they do Z; so that's already going to screw up this movie's box office.

When did they kick SoCal out of America? Vegeta's the only thing that gets me watching DBZ. DB is fun & carefree. I've run into other older fans of a similar opinion (liking the exploits of kid Goku)

And this is really DBZ, dude.
It's sort of hard to pick the point where DB ends & DBZ starts, but King Piccalo IS the start of the horridly drawn out battle scenes. THe fights prior to that didn't last all that long. It would have been just as easy to call that last Tourni DBZ as DB because Goku showed up all grown up from what everyone expected.
With this being the first movie, where's the need to mark off this as following any prior movie series. They certainly aren't claiming that knock off.

I didn't say DBE would gross more than Montana. I said the boys would be more likely to want to see DBE than Hannah so the audiences are different. If anything, I could see mom taking the girls to Hannah & dad taking the boys to DBE at the same time.
eaglestorm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Dragonball Evolution will make money. And tons of it.

Why? Simply because regardless of the hate, the flames and the criticisms about a movie that has yet to be released, people are talking about it. They are curious.

How many of you won't be watching this movie? And do an independent survey amongst your friends. Of course, your results may be very bad if all your friends are young girls. Laughing
newborntoanime

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:17 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if there will be anything over 9000...Anime hyper...
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Da Games:
Quote:
Look, DB:E comes out in April, while TF 2 comes out in June and Harry Potter in July. Most films' revenue at the box office fizzles out after the first month to month and a half. TF 2 would come out after DB:E finishes with the Box Office. TF 2 and Harry Potter have more to worry about from each other than DB:E.

DB:E still has Monsters vs. Aliens to worry about, though. And older males are more likely to be interested in Observe and Report than DB: E.

Quote:
Number one, MANY films have reshoots. A recent example is Wolverine, which had to go back for reshoots not long after DB:E.

And I'm sure Wolvie will suck, for a different reason. But it's still got Hugh Jackman, who, Australia aside, is a reasonable draw, compared to Chatwin.

Quote:
The reshoots were also mainly additions for the Goku/Piccolo fight.

Funny that they took a year.

Quote:
Not to mention that we have no idea whether or not Wong cared about DB:E.

It's fairly certain he doesn't care, since he'll get paid either way. The question is whether the studio cares, and, judging by the lack of promotions in recent magazines, I imagine it's ready to bank it all on Wolverine, Ice Age 3, and its cut of Watchmen.

Quote:
We do have evidence that James Marsters wasa huge DB fan, though, and supposedly Chatwin liked DBZ alot too.

Yes, and the Wachowskis liked Speed Racer a lot, too. But a shitty product is still a shitty product.

Quote:
Lady Deathstrike's character was reduced to a silent strong type, as opposed to her having a deep grudge against Wolverine.

That's probably because there wouldn't be room for the main story, if they expanded on her character.

Quote:
Rogue became much less flirtatious.

She's a little young to be a flirt. Plus, she's kind of new to her powers, so...

Quote:
Professor X, with the exception of X-Men United, was given an almost saint-like role.

Then it's the same as the cartoon.

Quote:
And besides, how are the changes made to X-Men any different than the ones made to DB:E?

Well, in the case of DB:E, the attacks are different; the motivations of the characters are different; the effing setting is different...

Quote:

True. but DB:E also has Chow-Yun Fat.

I like CYF, but I think that he'd be better as Buu.

CCS:
Quote:
DB is fun & carefree. I've run into other older fans of a similar opinion (liking the exploits of kid Goku)

Older DB fans do not=regular DBZ fans.

Quote:
I didn't say DBE would gross more than Montana. I said the boys would be more likely to want to see DBE than Hannah so the audiences are different.

Not if the guys can get dates with girls too old for HM. Laughing

eagle: People are talking about DB:E the way they were talking about Battlefield Earth. Rolling Eyes
eaglestorm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:53 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

eagle: People are talking about DB:E the way they were talking about Battlefield Earth. Rolling Eyes

Not even a close comparison.

Many grew up watching Dragonball. If nothing else, they'll watch it for nostalgia sake. How many watch Battlefield Earth as they were growing up? The only reason people talked about it was because of John Travolta and the link to Scientology through the author, L. Ron Hubbard. And these were mainly the post mortems.

Battlefield Earth was renown only to the Sci-Fi community before the movie was made.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8