Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anno's Evangelion 2.0 Film Slated for June 27 in Japan


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
posterior_praiser



Joined: 21 Oct 2007
Posts: 296
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Well. This is interesting. being v. new to Eva (I avoided it till just recently cause i thought it was overrated and I don’t really like mech) I do wonder how many times they'll have to remake this series to be satisfied? It's a neat story and all, but I think they need to put a 'THE END' stamp on it at some point. But why would you when you're still making buckets of cash on the merch I suppose.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Quark



Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 709
Location: British Columbia, Canada
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:38 pm Reply with quote
pparker wrote:

I can not believe it. I just discovered yet another version.... Nice box, I want one! Very Happy You like boxes the way I do. I wonder why I never heard of that one in my 2.5 years of fandom? I buy a LOT of anime, and I did spend a long time trying to figure out all the versions. Maybe that edition just isn't to be had at any price from collectors, or else the "Platinum" name confused the two versions.


It's funny that you haven't seen that version of the Platinum release, as that's how the Platinum edition was originally sold - individual disks, with the option of buying the first disk with the art box.
I was confused when you were saying that the Platinum edition had all the extras deleted, as my Platinum DVDs came with all the booklets, interviews with some huge Eva nerd, commentaries, etc. but I guess that's because you were talking about the thinpacks and the tin.
Honestly, I would check on ebay to see if you can find any of the disks, and I think Rightstuf has some (not all) of the singles at dirt cheap.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
haseowolf



Joined: 06 May 2008
Posts: 11
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:50 pm Reply with quote
I owned the original Black Box set before I sold it to buy my singles of the Platinum edition and I got the tin box Platinum for a X-mas gift in '07 and the Platinum edition singles + box is my favorite.

Also, its signed by Greg Ayres, Tiffany Grant, and Matt Greenfield. Anime smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
samuelp



Joined: 25 Nov 2007
Posts: 2122
Location: San Antonio, USA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Ha! I knew all those times I passed by the DVD in the stores would pay off in the end... Even on 30% off sale for the limited edition no, I stayed strong, solid in my belief this was blu-ray bound.

I guess studio Khana needed some extra money to finish the production on 2.0 so they're putting out the BD finally.

I wonder if they'll put english subs on it? Funi probably has the subtitles finished by now at least and they likely have the rights to it... They could simply put english subs on the Japanese blu-ray and then refuse to license Funi the rights to put out their own blu-ray for 2 years or so in order to maximize the number of foreign imports.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Quark



Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 709
Location: British Columbia, Canada
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:53 pm Reply with quote
haseowolf wrote:
I owned the original Black Box set before I sold it to buy my singles of the Platinum edition and I got the tin box Platinum for a X-mas gift in '07 and the Platinum edition singles + box is my favorite.

Also, its signed by Greg Ayres, Tiffany Grant, and Matt Greenfield. Anime smile


Lucky duck! I'd like to have a Tiffany Grant signed Eva box. That woman's Asuka collection is insane.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
penguintruth



Joined: 08 Dec 2004
Posts: 7980
Location: Penguinopolis
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:58 pm Reply with quote
I avoided buying Evangelion on DVD until the Platinum Edition thinpack boxset came out. I still haven't purchased EoE, for fear that there will still be further versions of that.

At this rate, it'll be 2012 before I buy Rebuild 1.0.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
zanarkand princess



Joined: 27 Oct 2007
Posts: 1484
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:04 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I avoided buying Evangelion on DVD until the Platinum Edition thinpack boxset came out. I still haven't purchased EoE, for fear that there will still be further versions of that.

At this rate, it'll be 2012 before I buy Rebuild 1.0.


I could swear that EoE is out of print. I might be wrong though.
ADV doesn't have the rights to it, Manga does.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pparker



Joined: 13 Oct 2007
Posts: 1185
Location: Florida
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:06 am Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
It's funny that you haven't seen that version of the Platinum release, as that's how the Platinum edition was originally sold - individual disks, with the option of buying the first disk with the art box.
I was confused when you were saying that the Platinum edition had all the extras deleted, as my Platinum DVDs came with all the booklets, interviews with some huge Eva nerd, commentaries, etc. but I guess that's because you were talking about the thinpacks and the tin.
Honestly, I would check on ebay to see if you can find any of the disks, and I think Rightstuf has some (not all) of the singles at dirt cheap.

I was just now able to put it together half from TRSI's bargain bin and half from Amazon sellers, where it's listed OOP. I like that box! Anyway, I did a google on neon genesis evangelion platinum edition, and I got 5 links--all for "Platinum Edition", 3 pertaining to the thinpak and 2 pertaining to the original Platinum editions. It is confusing because they call them both Platinum, but apparently the thinpak set is technically Platinum Complete (though not on Amazon or in blog reviews, so I wonder if that was added). Which is ironic, if not intentionally misleading, since it's the incomplete version. Marketing geeks suck... and I won't say the rest for fear of being banned Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
inu-liger



Joined: 25 Jul 2005
Posts: 67
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:10 am Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
haseowolf wrote:
I owned the original Black Box set before I sold it to buy my singles of the Platinum edition and I got the tin box Platinum for a X-mas gift in '07 and the Platinum edition singles + box is my favorite.

Also, its signed by Greg Ayres, Tiffany Grant, and Matt Greenfield. Anime smile


Lucky duck! I'd like to have a Tiffany Grant signed Eva box. That woman's Asuka collection is insane.


I've never seen her Asuka collection, but I wouldn't doubt it being insane. She really does love that character Smile

Also, you can count me along with haseowolf and others who own one of the Platinum boxsets (Thinpak one in my case) autographed by Tiffany and Matt....haven't met Greg Ayers yet Razz......and her 'comments', which were totally in Asuka's character, were amusing Smile

Actually, I also own the first two individual volumes, one of which is also signed by them, with even more amusing Asuka-isms Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
penguintruth



Joined: 08 Dec 2004
Posts: 7980
Location: Penguinopolis
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:20 am Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
I avoided buying Evangelion on DVD until the Platinum Edition thinpack boxset came out. I still haven't purchased EoE, for fear that there will still be further versions of that.

At this rate, it'll be 2012 before I buy Rebuild 1.0.


I could swear that EoE is out of print. I might be wrong though.
ADV doesn't have the rights to it, Manga does.


Sounds like I messed up. Hopefully I can still find a copy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Raven Shinobi



Joined: 15 Jan 2006
Posts: 664
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:21 am Reply with quote
I need to watch You Are [Not] alone first before I get excited about this one. But it's good to know that the second movie will not be just a remake of the TV series episodes and will actually have new content.

Looking forward to seeing how the movies' story will diverge from the TV series'.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Unit 03.5-ish



Joined: 07 Dec 2008
Posts: 1540
Location: This space for rent
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:09 am Reply with quote
The biggest changes so far announced for 2.0 are the "MYSTERY CHARACTER" (holy 1990s video game character gimmick, Batman!) and the redesign of Unit 02. They also said Bardiel spoiler[(my namesake...sorta)] will have a bigger role in the Rebuilds.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime
DrizzlingEnthalpy



Joined: 13 Oct 2005
Posts: 255
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:24 am Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
They also said Bardiel spoiler[(my namesake...sorta)] will have a bigger role in the Rebuilds.
Interesting. What's your source for that statement?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Unit 03.5-ish



Joined: 07 Dec 2008
Posts: 1540
Location: This space for rent
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:28 am Reply with quote
I honestly wish I could remember, I read it somewhere a while ago...but here's a link to an encyclopedia-style page and Bardy's section particularly (CONTAINS MASSIVE SPOILERS ONLY CLICK AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION): http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Angel-(Neon-Genesis-Evangelion)#Bardiel
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime
Big Hed



Joined: 04 May 2006
Posts: 1607
Location: Melbourne, Australia
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:52 am Reply with quote
Hokay, no more R2 imports for me if Khara's going for 1.11, 2.22, 3.33, and 4.44.

...But I'm stoked for You Can [Not] Advance Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group