• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Scores of Free Streaming Anime Added to ANN

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:34 am Reply with quote
Brass2TheMax wrote:
Just thought of one more thing to add. About expirations, I'm sure on places like Crunchyroll the episodes will eventually expire as well.

I'm not so sure. There's certainly no indication of that from CR. Seems like they are two separate contracts, where CR is dealing with TV Tokyo (but using Viz's script) while Joost/Hulu/ANN is dealing with Viz. Even the video is different. There's no giant Viz watermark on CR videos and the translations are softsubbed.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:00 am Reply with quote
Sure, if you equate "valid complaint" to "whiny impatience"...but hey, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it Razz
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:26 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty pleased about this. My big issue with Joost was that I didn't care for the layout etc. of the site, but now that it'll be on ANN that won't be a problem. Granted most of the shows were on Hulu, but there were a few that weren't and now I can enjoy both sites.

As for Avatar, I say go for it. I won't watch it myself, but I figure more traffic to this site is better.

Finally, Richard J. you should know that your comment is exactly how I feel. So much so that it's almost precisely what I would have written. Glad to know that others feel the way I do Very Happy

Last edited by Greed1914 on Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:54 am; edited 1 time in total
crilix

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:29 am Reply with quote
Whiny impatience? The sub always comes before the dub. Joost's situation is most likely not going to change, them going for dubs rather than both options, I'm just concerned for future content due to the small but growing trend of licensees releasing sub-only anime. Legit anime streaming sites will have to let go of this idea that all anime have to include a dub. Luckily, internet isn't the brick and mortar retail market, so this perception can change.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:53 am Reply with quote
Honestly, I've seen some pretty crazy comments from dub fans too, Richard J, but I don't think we need to turn this into more of a sub vs dub thread than it already is. Razz

Regarding ANN's videos, all that really needs to be said is this: please get both the dub and sub whenever you can. Which Justin Sevakis has already said they'll try to do, when they are both available. It's just not in their direct control with Joost content.

Which brings me to a question I have for ANN: does Joost take into account feedback from users of sites that they make these embed agreements with? Basically, will the desire for both dubbed and subbed versions among ANN users ever be discussed whenever you and Joost talk about the particulars of your agreement? Or will we need to take our feedback directly to Joost's own site/forums if we want to be heard?

EDIT: Wow, I just discovered that several of the Gong related anime videos play a nice advertisement at the start that features a perfectly visible, totally bare rear, followed by a perfectly visible, totally naked pair of breasts. Even non-mature listed Gong anime series show this ad.

Caught me off guard a bit, heh. Not sure if this is even something you can control, though.

Last edited by Mad_Scientist on Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:17 am; edited 1 time in total
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:09 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

jsevakis wrote:
Avatar: The Last Airbender... great show

Whoops, spoke too soon.

Why not stream Jackie Chan Adventures and that anime-inspired Teen Titans cartoon, while you're at it? Both of those were pretend anime better than Avatar.

When you say that, have you seen all 3? Very Happy
(Just curious; myself having seen all of all 3.)

sdhd wrote:
Yes, I would like to watch "Avatar: the Last Airbender" on ANN. Avatar is nice.

BTW, is season 3 the last season for Avatar? Wonder if they will do a live action or an anime movie. Avatar can be made into a live action and bring in a lot of revenue at the box office. I think it will do better than Dragon Ball Evolution. Avatar is mainstream and any kid who watches Nickelodeon knows about Avatar. I wouldn't mind watching a live action of Avatar. The live action can be a different story arc like how the Japanese anime companies do it with their anime series. More Sokka, Aang, Katara, and Toph Bei Fong etc. in action, drama, comedy scenes.

The Last Airbender (2010)

Don't forget the web shorts in super-deformed: Laughing

School Time Shipping (especially this one)

Bender Battle

Swamp Skiin' Throwdown

samuelp wrote:

There are plenty of US shows that are more anime like in their story telling (anyone remember Reboot? Or Gargoyals?) over the years but avatar is one of the first to combine an anime art style along with the story progression.

Yep, seen all of those too........ well..... except for the non-canonical last season of Gargoyles without creator Greg Weisman. Speaking of Weisman, he also produced the 2nd season of W.I.T.C.H., which is the closest thing we have here to shoujo (so might even qualify here). Heck, there's even a Japanese-produced (manga-ka Iida Haruko) W.I.T.C.H. manga (translated)! Laughing

penguintruth wrote:
Zac, I would love if Samurai Jack was streamed on ANN.

Yep, seen all of that too. Very Happy
stevek504

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:43 am Reply with quote
This is great! I have been watching some episodes of Angelic Layer and Best Student Council on Joost (before I noticed BSC on Netflix at better quality). I hope more deals like this can be worked out - maybe with Hulu and KadoTV next.
jsevakis wrote:
BTW, we've been having some back-and-forth about adding Avatar: The Last Airbender. Not technically anime, but a great show and enjoyed by mostly the same people. Thoughts?

I have seen a bit of Avatar: The Last Airbender and enjoyed what I saw.

However, I though the focus (if not by definition) was that the site is restricted to works originally released in Japan. I don’t object too much to adding something like Avatar to the video section, but if you blur the line because something is great and enjoyed by mostly the same people, then please consider stepping over the line.

At times, when I browse the web sites of some of the stores that are linked to this site, I see items I may want to purchase. When I return to this site to get more information on the item it may not be listed. Then I must dig more only to find out it is Manhwa or something similar. I would like to get all the information in one place. They are things that are, “…enjoyed by mostly the same people.”

As you could expect, I was happy about the addition of Astro Toy and availability of Hai Fidelity and World Manga of the Month. And I would be happier still with the addition of Manhwa to the encyclopedia and other items (pencil boards, posters, etc .) receiving news, reviews, and availability information. All of them “…enjoyed by mostly the same people”.

In the end, do what you can do and keep up the good work as evidenced by the recent changes in the site.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:10 am Reply with quote
About the Gong ads -- T&A BEFORE the anime? I thought most anime had enough of that as-is Laughing
Labbes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:19 am Reply with quote
Awesome, I didn't really know there are anime which are streamed without region blocking.
Consider me a happy Leiji Matsumoto fan Very Happy

Edit: Unfortunately, I can't view Funi's videos, although I think their youtube channel was not region blocked shortly after it "opened".

Last edited by Labbes on Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:54 am Reply with quote
Labbes wrote:
Awesome, I didn't really know there are anime which are streamed without region blocking.
Consider me a happy Leiji Matsumoto fan Very Happy

I suppose it is quite a nice thing. None of the shows look particularly interesting to me, and I know I'm only able to see a small amount of what's actually on Joost, but since this is free I shan't look a gift horse in the mouth.
(Also, have you looked at Funimation's streaming video selection? I think you'll be able to watch their shows.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:17 am Reply with quote
Awesome. Now when I'm bored I can head on over and watch some 'Death Note'. I only saw a few eps awhile back. Man I miss hearing 'the WORLD' by Nightmare. I gotta watch some of the stuff that's up. Smile I do plan on picking up the boxset for my job soon. Great job ANN.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:58 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
This deal is with Joost; Joost's deal with the various anime companies allow for "embeds" at other websites. We do plan on adding every anime program Joost adds, as well as more of our own.

BTW, we've been having some back-and-forth about adding Avatar: The Last Airbender. Not technically anime, but a great show and enjoyed by mostly the same people. Thoughts?

Thank you for all that you've done and that all other staff members have done. You've done a great job. My thoughts of Avatar, if it's not anime, it would be some what out of place in a anime site. But that is just my two cents.

Again, thanks for all the great work and all the time spent looking for and uploading Ramen Fighter Miki. I enjoy watching that show a ton.
Sora/Sanctuary

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:17 am Reply with quote
As long as it's legal, fine by me. Good job ANN Very Happy
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:49 am Reply with quote
Very cool. Congrats, guys.
Vicserr

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:22 pm Reply with quote
That's always good and I'm not region locked on Joost, Unlike the ones in ANN.

Avatar, I should sit down and watch those suckers... and if you're taking any suggestions, why not work with Hulu and get EXO-SQUAD (getting the missing ep from SSN 1 and the entirety of SSN 2 while you are at it Wink )
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7