• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Scores of Free Streaming Anime Added to ANN

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:28 pm Reply with quote
By the way, it looks like the first 5 episodes of Saiyuki (s) are also missing, in addition to the first 4 episodes of The Slayers which was mentioned earlier.

I did a quick check, and it looks like the first episodes of all the other Joost series are showing up fine.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:33 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
having shows that are only offered as dubs in general is a legitimate complaint (not that ANN can do anything about it here); in fact, I'd say it's a bigger issue than shows offered as sub-only

I'd have to agree. When I see a site that's offering legit free episodes, it's always a great thing and makes me happy, but all the same when it's only the subbed version it tends to turn me off certain titles, and I don't think I'm alone in this experience.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for all the notes! I've been forwarding them onto Joost. I believe they are working on getting the dubbed versions of the stuff from Viz.

So far I have the following:

1. Bastof Syndrome #11 has video problems
2. The Slayers 1-4 and Saiyuki (s) 1-5 are missing
3. Astroboy #32 is missing
4. More subs!

Did I miss anything?

We do appreciate the support from subscriptions, but the higher quality video available to subscribers does not apply to Joost stuff. Sorry about that... Joost only has one quality mode.

Looks like more people want Avatar than don't. I'll be adding it over the weekend, along with the newest Naruto/Bleach/Shikabane Hime. Very Happy
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Actually yes, there was a earlier episode of BASTof that has a weird freeze situation, where the picture stopped but the sound continued and then it all picked back up again. I think it was in either 7, 8, or 9, since since I watched (or attempted to with 11) 7/8 - 11 last night (I think maybe it was the episode named BASTof Emblem actually).

Also thanks for asking Joost to fix this stuff! I meant to mention that earlier but I had to get back to work.

Last edited by MeggieMay on Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:11 pm Reply with quote
This is awesome news and I am so happy to see this all here.
I already loved this site, but this is one more benifit I can appreciate, and will likely keep me here longer/more often.

Thank ANN!
nicholas1978

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:15 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Thanks for all the notes! I've been forwarding them onto Joost. I believe they are working on getting the dubbed versions of the stuff from Viz.

4. More subs!

Looks like more people want Avatar than don't. I'll be adding it over the weekend, along with the newest Naruto/Bleach/Shikabane Hime. Very Happy

Outstanding Justin! Thanks for being so engaged on this and getting quick answers for us!
bayoab

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:26 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:

Random side note that Slayers 5-10 and Saiyuki 6-10 were uploaded ~2/2 without their prior episodes ever being made available (if they were ever uploaded).
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Labbes wrote:
Edit: Unfortunately, I can't view Funi's videos, although I think their youtube channel was not region blocked shortly after it "opened".

That's not good. I don't understand why they'd block things to your country and not mine, considering they don't have a presence in either. Perhaps something to do with sub-licenses. Does it bring up a legal message when you try to view things?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:38 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:

4. More subs!

Did I miss anything?

We do appreciate the support from subscriptions, but the higher quality video available to subscribers does not apply to Joost stuff. Sorry about that... Joost only has one quality mode.

I mentioned this earlier, but forgot about it till now: the Encyclopedia entry link for Cosmos Warrior Zero actually links to the Death Note encyclopedia entry.

Also, as I suggested before, you may want to add a forum section specifically for ANN's anime episodes, especially since you are happily planning on expanding this feature in the future.

I have a couple of other suggestions I'd like to make regarding the format of the main page. First, I notice that for series that ANN hosts, you have a short description of the show underneath the title. If you could add this for the Joost embed videos too, it would be nice.

Also, while I love the way the shows are organized, making it easy to browse series and see what you have available, having all that show up on the main page could get a bit cumbersome later on as more series are added. Especially since a pic loads for every single episode that is available.

You may want to set things up so that only some of the shows appear on the main page, and have button to "Browse shows A-M, N-Z" etc, or something similar. Of course, this suggestion is mainly made with the hope that this feature of ANN will expand enough to make this necessary. Very Happy
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Can you ask Joost to have the commercials come in at points were commercials normally come in, as opposed to in the middle of a character's line of dialogue? When I watch stuff on Hulu, they have the shows segmented so that commercials come on at the same point as they would if it were on TV.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:53 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Can you ask Joost to have the commercials come in at points were commercials normally come in, as opposed to in the middle of a character's line of dialogue? When I watch stuff on Hulu, they have the shows segmented so that commercials come on at the same point as they would if it were on TV.

Joost has this weird system where they ask all their content providers to provide timecodes for the commercial points, and sometimes they do it correctly and sometimes they don't. If you could let me know what series that happens with, I'll let them know. Thanks!
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Shikabane Hime: Aka. A couple of times it's been within about 5 seconds of where it ought to be, but other times, it's way off. The final commercial tends to land in the middle of the ED.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:21 pm Reply with quote
There are a issues with the new episodes:

Naruto Shippuden Episode 64 shows a picture of Ichigo.

3 dubbed episodes of Rumbling Hearts are mixed in with the subbed ones.

Also, there is no way to tell which is the dubbed Kite Liberator and which is the subbed just from looking at the list.

On a side note, some of the expiration dates on the videos seem... odd. Slayers Next 1-4 expire in over a year, while 5-26 expire in about a month.
Sentire

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:19 am Reply with quote
I think this is terrific. I have one question though. If you end up streaming Avatar and other "non-anime/crossover animations", will you be adding the information to the encyclopedia for those programs?
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:35 am Reply with quote
All I can say is that this will hurt so bad if I have to leave this country due to work Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7