• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Remastered DBZ to Be Called Dragon Ball Kai

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:42 am Reply with quote
TheHTRO wrote:
GATSU wrote:
I'm just glad they're not calling it Evolution to cash in on the film. Rolling Eyes

Nevertheless, I personally suspect that it's the very reason why this so-called "remastered" edition is being done in the first place: as a tie-in intended to cash in on said film (that said, since the movie is purely American made, I also suspect that this "remastered" edition of Dragon Ball Z is being done for the "benefit" of American viewers [read: as a way to insult their intelligence] even though it's airing in Japan first).

In any event, I would personally rather have an R1 DVD of the retranslated/subtitled "Pilaf arc" since, when you think about it, it's really the only one--manga or anime--that actually "counts" (Toriyama originally wanted to end the manga right there, but he ended up compromising his own artistic integrity because Shueisha wanted the manga to continue). Oh, and I'm aware of the Lion's Gate issue.

Toriyama wanted to end the manga after 10 volumes. Dragonball wasn't doing so good with the Pilaf arc and almost got cancelled. It really didn't take off until the 21st World Tournament. But yeah, it's no secret Toei wants to cash back in on Dragonball. Times are hard and companies are going back to the basics. Which brings me to wonder....why won't they let the world get Sailor Moon if they want cash so badly?
ani12

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:15 am Reply with quote
Dragonball Kai? *thinks* Hm, I wonder, I wonder...
Cat Megex

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:02 am Reply with quote
Daimao Raki wrote:
[...] Times are hard [...]

You mean "Times're tough." Razz
Josh7289

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Freaking sweet. Is there any confirmation on the number of episodes yet?
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:14 pm Reply with quote
ani12 wrote:
Dragonball Kai? *thinks* Hm, I wonder, I wonder...
Oh you didn't know? Those Senzu beans have the crazy that was in Himazawa in 'm. That's what makes them so potent.
Cliffjxn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
Freaking sweet. Is there any confirmation on the number of episodes yet?

No official confirmation. BUT, people are claiming that it's going to be cut down by 191 episodes. I think that's a bit off. I mean, was there really that much filler?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:02 pm Reply with quote
They could cut it down to about sixty episodes if they remove half of the reaction shots and bits where they show clouds moving, birds flying, and rocks flying upwards (because POWERIN UP makes gravity completely null and void). Maybe they can cut Goku and Freeza's battle to a lean seven or eight episodes, rather than the twenty it took the first time around.

Nevertheless, I'd like to see what they do with the show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:56 pm Reply with quote
\I'm glad the rest of you caught on to that.I used to mention it as a running joke."Rocks,mountains,rocks,wind,clouds,mountains,rocks..." Laughing

I love the Dragonball universe, but sometimes that shit was goofy.I'm really looking forward to this though.
ssjwill4

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:01 am Reply with quote
Cliffjxn wrote:

No official confirmation. BUT, people are claiming that it's going to be cut down by 191 episodes. I think that's a bit off. I mean, was there really that much filler?

YES
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:26 pm Reply with quote
ssj: They still need to remaster that driving license episode, since that's the best ever. Rolling Eyes
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of "remastered", here's the tv spot for DB: E w/ the Japanese dub.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2