• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Dragon Ball Film Set Between 517th & 518th Manga Chapters

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kakoishii

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:43 pm Reply with quote
anigu wrote:
Actually, I think the period in the manga they chose is quite interesting. I have always wondered about life of other characters aside from Goku after the Buu arc.

Well sure, but didn't Bulma say in the last episode of Z that all of them barely kept in touch after the Buu battle? That's kind of sad, but if they continue to fill that time with all these misadventures wouldn't that invalidate her statement?
AgitoZ

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Otaku_X wrote:
But they haven't grabbed stuff like The Plot to Destroy the Saiyans (the original or the remake, not counting the sub-only appearance on the video game), they haven't done Yo! Son Goku and his Friends Return!, they haven't done the second Bardock special, and they probably won't get this either.

What they need to do is grab ALL the things I just mentioned and dub them with the Kai cast. even though it means recasting some characters, it'd be nice to have them all dubbed. Heck, I normally don't even watch dubs, but DB/Z/GT is one of the few that I DO like dubbed.

Do you really think FUNimation hasn't tried to get new DB material? The 2008 special is stuck in licensing hell because it was produced by Shueisha. In the same vein, Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans was commissioned Namco-Bandai. Episode of Bardock was probably also commissioned, as it was first only available through Shueisha's Saikyo Jump, and the only way to view it legally overseas is by buying the new Kinect game.

The fact that this is going to be a movie with a big push, and not confined to a game, or mail-order DVDs, I think we can rest assured we'll be getting it. Most likely from FUNi. But who knows what Fox will do. (Probably nothing)
baadaku12345

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Same time as the 2008 animated special, huh. Hope it's as good.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:21 am Reply with quote
Read this earlier and it made my day. Can't wait.
taco123

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:35 am Reply with quote
Son Gokou wrote:
Okay, so based from this article... the movie is canon? Then I guess Yo Son Gokou And Friends is canon too. Very Happy

Looking forward to it, I hope it's not a joke like in Yo Son Gokou and Friends.

Well, Toriyama didn't jump out and say when that special took place in the manga (obviously after Buu). The fact that he does announce it with this movie means that he really intends for it to be canon.

Can't say I liked the special anyway. Vegeta has a brother? So much retcon!

Otaku_X wrote:
I don't get FUNimation. They've done so many DVD releases of Dragon Ball Z, they've even dubbed Dragon Ball Kai. But they haven't grabbed stuff like The Plot to Destroy the Saiyans (the original or the remake, not counting the sub-only appearance on the video game), they haven't done Yo! Son Goku and his Friends Return!, they haven't done the second Bardock special, and they probably won't get this either.

What they need to do is grab ALL the things I just mentioned and dub them with the Kai cast. even though it means recasting some characters, it'd be nice to have them all dubbed. Heck, I normally don't even watch dubs, but DB/Z/GT is one of the few that I DO like dubbed.

To be fair in this context, Yo! Son Goku wasn't really a movie. Also, I think I read on wikia that there was some licensing issues with it. Why they haven't done Plot to Destroy the Saiyans or the Bardock special is beyond me.

However, this 2013 DB film is being marketed hard. There's no way FUNimation will ignore it. I wonder if it'll be the classic 40min-type movie or something like 1hr-2hrs (which would be nice).

I am so happy it is going to be canon, though.
Jetto

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:27 am Reply with quote
The Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans was included with Raging Blast 2.

The Bardock special will be included with DBZ Kinect.

So, technically, they have been/will be released here.
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:08 am Reply with quote
Jetto wrote:
The Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans was included with Raging Blast 2.

The Bardock special will be included with DBZ Kinect.

So, technically, they have been/will be released here.

Neither was released by Funimation, nor were they dubbed into English.
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:17 am Reply with quote
taco123 wrote:

To be fair in this context, Yo! Son Goku wasn't really a movie.

Neither were the Trunks special or the first Bardock special, but those were both not only licensed, but released as movies.
Son Gokou

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:42 am Reply with quote
taco123 wrote:
Son Gokou wrote:
Okay, so based from this article... the movie is canon? Then I guess Yo Son Gokou And Friends is canon too. Very Happy

Looking forward to it, I hope it's not a joke like in Yo Son Gokou and Friends.

Well, Toriyama didn't jump out and say when that special took place in the manga (obviously after Buu). The fact that he does announce it with this movie means that he really intends for it to be canon.

Can't say I liked the special anyway. Vegeta has a brother? So much retcon!

Otaku_X wrote:
I don't get FUNimation. They've done so many DVD releases of Dragon Ball Z, they've even dubbed Dragon Ball Kai. But they haven't grabbed stuff like The Plot to Destroy the Saiyans (the original or the remake, not counting the sub-only appearance on the video game), they haven't done Yo! Son Goku and his Friends Return!, they haven't done the second Bardock special, and they probably won't get this either.

To be fair in this context, Yo! Son Goku wasn't really a movie. Also, I think I read on wikia that there was some licensing issues with it. Why they haven't done Plot to Destroy the Saiyans or the Bardock special is beyond me.

However, this 2013 DB film is being marketed hard. There's no way FUNimation will ignore it. I wonder if it'll be the classic 40min-type movie or something like 1hr-2hrs (which would be nice).

I am so happy it is going to be canon, though.

I love Vegeta's reaction though when he saw his brother. Lol. Either way I hope it goes well. And well, I'm really not sure what Yo! Son Gokou was an OVA or a movie so...
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:19 pm Reply with quote
My nostologia sense is tangling.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DTJB

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:31 am Reply with quote
moonie92 wrote:
Isn't Dragon Ball over? I was under the impression that it was done with. I guess they will make Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball Z properties forever.

Cool for DB and DBZ fans though.

If it makes money, it's never over.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:45 am Reply with quote
I guess there's still source material that can be taken from DBZ. No wonder they can stretch it out this long.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2