• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-02-20]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:16 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
As to the latest question, the Anime is Gasaraki, and I would remove most (if not all) of the traditional Japanese Shinto references. It severely dragged down an otherwise outstanding "hard" Mecha series. I know that the mysticism made up half (if not more) of the show, but the question is vague enough that I think I am okay.

Not that I'm a big fan of fantasy, but I didn't mind the mysticism in Gasaraki any more than the mysticism in any number of other anime series, I did like the way they incorporated noh theatrical styles into the series (though they could have had those without the fantasy stuff). I will say though, that while I could cope with most of the mysticism in the series, it reduced the impact of the ending a fair bit, the ending should have reflected the hard mech series aspects of the show and would have been improved significantly for it.

The cartoon thing - unless the word is being used in the derogatory "it's just a cartoon/animated so it isn't as good as anything live action by default" sense, I'm not bothered by the term, but I prefer to just say something is animated and leave it at that, I don't even really like to use the term anime, except that I wouldn't mind if that was the word for everything animated in English as well, as it's shorter. Incidentally, I also want to see Waltz with Bashir.

I wouldn't normally do this (respond to an Answerfans column a week late in the forums), but I just want to say that Azumanga Daioh is my comfort food animation, it's happy, with well animated, fluffy visuals, the characters are all well realized and likeable, with good development, the music is cheerful, there are just enough indications of the girls' and womens' sexual desire, interest and curiosity to stop them from coming off as innocently moe in that way that makes me want to throw things at the television, and it condoningly portrays a lesbian crush. Finally, there are lots of cats.
OnanRulz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:25 am Reply with quote
giascle wrote:
As amazing as some anime may be, they are always cartoons. Waltz with Bashir is a very poor example, as it was rotoscoped off a live-action video, and is almost a documentary.

Not true. From the Wiki:
Quote:
The animation, unique with its dark colors representing the tone of the film, uses a unique style invented by Yoni Goodman at the Bridgit Folman Film Gang studio in Israel. The technique is often confused with rotoscoping, an animation style that uses drawings over live footage, but is actually a combination of Flash cutouts and classic animation. Each drawing was sliced into hundreds of pieces which were moved in relation to one another, thus creating the illusion of movement. The film was first shot in a sound studio as a 90-minute video and then transferred to a storyboard. From there 2,300 original illustrations were drawn based on the storyboard, which together formed the actual film scenes using Flash animation, classic animation, and 3D technologies.

I'd say it's top-notch animation. The fact that it made you default to thinking it was rotoscoped is a testament to how good the animation was.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:29 am Reply with quote
(races to Cowboy Bebop at top speed)

Stay back, you potential "changers"! I know what you want, but you're not getting it!! Wink

Anyway, I have minor complaints about most series, but I think the most annoying one I found was in Evangelion episode 24 where spoiler[after a rousing and exciting battle, we are at the climax, with Shinji in dilemma over whether to kill Kaworu or not. Then nothing happens for 45 seconds while we just sit and watch. Now, every "nothing happens for a minute" scene before had a purpose to it before, especially the one with Rei and Asuka. This one was just awful, it completely destroyed the pacing. You're telling me for that duration of time, Shinja and Kaworu did nothing? No dialogue, no visible pain or emotion, NOTHING?! I understand it was a budget decision, but still. If this scene, or something similar to it, re-appears in the Rebuild series, it will hopefully be given proper justice this time.]

As for dubbing songs, I daresay I like some of Funi's more recent ones. School Rumble Season 2's 2nd ending in particular was well done with the singers in-character (Tenma and Yakamo). Bonus points if you've read where the manga goes after the anime, think about the last part of the lyrics, and realize spoiler[it's really a SAD song disguised as a happy one (not sure if Funi intended that or not) if you relate it to what happens to Karasuma.]
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:31 am Reply with quote
If someone asked me, "Hey, you watch Japanese cartoons?" and were honestly interested in having a conversation about anime, I'm not going to make a big deal out of it.

Why would I? I knew what that person was asking me. They were asking if I watched "anime". That was easy to interpret. If they threw out the question in an attempt to be an ass or belittle anyone's interest in anime, then they'd get a completely different response. In other words, it boils down to intent.

On the other hand, I can see how some would be uncomfortable hearing Miyazaki, Oshii or Kon films described as "cartoons movies" or something along those lines. It's a little strange, but it's not so awful that it has to turn a decent conversation into an argument. Rolling Eyes

As for renting, I've been a supporter of Netflix for close to three years now. They're not perfect, don't get me wrong; I'd pay a little extra to get most of my DVDs mailed in tougher packaging.

But renting has revived/renewed my fandom. I love being able to sample shows I otherwise may never blind-buy (i.e. Shingu, Toward the Terra, Mars Daybreak). I feel like my fandom is more rounded because of it.
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:45 am Reply with quote
Humm one thing that I'd change....in the X TV anime I would have put in the part from the manga spoiler[about Kamui’s aunt and mother having the swords and Kamui's mom and Fuuma's mom being lovers. It really makes things make more sense and serves to explain the 'how did Fuuma's mom get the sword when Kamui's mom was supposed to have it' problem. They never really explained that in the anime. Also the sham marriage between Fuuma's parents was totally ignorred.]
sailorsean

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:04 am Reply with quote
we tight, dogg --

dont worry u mi boi Brian

haha, so funny that flake Laughing
pparker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:16 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Anyway, I have minor complaints about most series, but I think the most annoying one I found was in Evangelion episode 24 where spoiler[after a rousing and exciting battle, we are at the climax, with Shinji in dilemma over whether to kill Kaworu or not. Then nothing happens for 45 seconds while we just sit and watch. Now, every "nothing happens for a minute" scene before had a purpose to it before, especially the one with Rei and Asuka. This one was just awful, it completely destroyed the pacing. You're telling me for that duration of time, Shinja and Kaworu did nothing? No dialogue, no visible pain or emotion, NOTHING?! I understand it was a budget decision, but still. If this scene, or something similar to it, re-appears in the Rebuild series, it will hopefully be given proper justice this time.]

Oh, but we would have missed the most epic parody in AMV Hell! I did think it odd when I first saw it, like WTF. But it fit perfectly in the show that is Evangelion, and I do understand why it's there. In any case, now when I see it I can only think of the parody, and I LOL every time.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:25 am Reply with quote
I'd have to say my major comfort anime is A!MG. It's one of the first anime and manga I got into ages ago, the series that really started my love of the medium off. I've always loved it since then, and I absolutely adore the recent seasons of the show. It's very nostalgic for me, and it makes me happy to see such an old property being done up in shiny modern colors.

...Now someone just needs to get the new YUA...

Anyway, as for what I'd change. Hmm. The first thing that comes to mind is the ending of Princess Nine. It was so out of nowhere, and just...was spoiler[too depressing after all that build up to see them lose.] I guess with rationale like that, though, I'd change a lot of endings.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Stretch2424

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:25 am Reply with quote
Perhaps this will be useful:

Animated Cartoon: 1: a motion picture made from a series of drawings simulating motion by means of slight progressive changes 2: ANIMATION
(from Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary)
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Oooh! Fixing things!

I'd fix Princess Tutu by eliminating or combining episodes 2 and 3, because they were both huge turn offs for me and almost made me drop it and they really don't do a whole lot to move the story along. Ok, so you get two heart pieces from it, but the series never specifies how many there were in the first place. I'd probably keep 2 and just skip 3 if I could only get rid of one.

I'd fix Key the Metal Idol by not allowing them to call anything by two names. They can call him "D" or "Sergei", but I didn't quite see the point in both and it confused me for a while, was it his first and last name or something? They never really said (not that I remember). They can call it the "PPOR" or the "Sipe" (sorry if I mispelled) but just pick one! And I might perhaps shorten Shuichi's 30+ minute monologue in episode 14 where he's talking to Mr. Wakagi. I'd comment on the VHS rental store (which are pretty much extinct to my knowledge), but it's kinda charming actually, hehe.

I'd fix Eiken by burning it to ashes. It's beyond redemption.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Mysticmidnightmaiden wrote:
Be careful generalizing there. The first run of FMA ended in filler and it worked out fine to me. Ouran ended in a filler so as to not nosedive straight into what it parodied (which unfortunately happens in the manga). BONES, which animated both series, is fairly good at adapting filler and canon material to create a better series overall.

Excuse me?
Your opinion.
I enjoyed the Ouran anime right up to that last dumb point & have no real problem with where the manga is now. Yeah, it was fun while it was fun, but isn't that teen yrs? We all start high school footloose & fancy free, but at some point (which differs for everyone. Some never get there) The Future looms & life shifts to the adult daily grind mode.

I was ok with the FMA tv series, though certain points (Lust over Envy for example) left me a bit cold. Reading the manga has made the anime more acceptable since I can just translate the voices into the manga. The movie was a sad thing, though.

Filler is what came to my mind also. The best filler is the innocuous stuff where the studio maybe even spoke with the artist to get some idea of where to go or the thread totally leaves the story untouched. The more damaging version is the one that drags in pieces of what's happening in the manga (such as new attacks, etc) into the totally made up story (so how is it going to be "new" when the character does it if the studio ever DOES return to the manga plot?) One Piece, overall, seems to have managed fairly decent filler because the crew can have adventures on the side (as long as the animators don't poke one of the main crew's eye out or something)
vashneko

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:57 pm Reply with quote
I would take the entire plot with Near and Mello out of the Death Note anime and just ended the series spoiler[at L's death]. I'm sure there will be at least a few here who would agree with me. Of course, that isn't exactly a minor change, but DN was pretty near perfect without that IMO.
kadian1364

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I'd change the whole 3rd season of Kenshin. Pretty bad stuff right there. Naruto may be the current default for "bad filler", but woe are those who remember how an otherwise classic title was snuffed out of existence by that indefensible dreck.
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:00 pm Reply with quote
kadian1364 wrote:
I'd change the whole 3rd season of Kenshin. Pretty bad stuff right there. Naruto may be the current default for "bad filler", but woe are those who remember how an otherwise classic title was snuffed out of existence by that indefensible dreck.

Totally agreed. Wish they could have just taken a break and then done the last arc after it was finished.
OnanRulz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:15 pm Reply with quote
The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:
CorneredAngel wrote:
Will companies like funimation ever release a CD of the dubbed music, maybe along with the original japanese songs

Cue back to - oh, just about ten years now - and Pioneer's Tenchi Muyo OVA Best v. 2. Which did contain a bunch of the dubbed songs from that series. Ah, those were the days...

That CD would be worth it just to make a karaoke track to "I Am A Pioneer".

I still like the dubbed version of "Talent for Love."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7