• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Top 10 / Worst 5 things. Why? (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:37 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
I don't remember how far I got with Baccano but I'm pretty sure it was beyond episode 3 and I was still a bit confused. This wasn't ultimately why I dropped the series (mainly I just didn't care for the characters, in particular Isaac and Miria whom I despise)

Eh, I totally agree. Couldn't get attached to anybody, really...and THOSE TWO were very annoying. Anime hyper

I think FLCL and Haruhi are love-it-or-hate-it series.
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:23 am Reply with quote
Isaac and Miria weren't all that annoying to me. In fact, they were probably my two favorite characters. The show is just so needlessly complicated in its presentation. The way things are laid out makes it difficult to guess what (and who) you need to focus on for future reference and what you totally don't need to bother remembering. I ended up trying to just remember EVERYTHING that was being thrown at me and EVERYONE that showed up just in case it was recalled in a later episode, and found myself thoroughly annoyed when the things and people I thought were important ended up meaning nothing (and vice versa). Aside from the complex nature of the storytelling, the story itself is just allllll over the place; mafia, immortals, humunculi, thieves, kidnapping, rail tracer who commits gruesome murders, newspaper reporters, some weird frenchman who's in jail for some reason, etc. Way too much going on to begin with before you factor in trying to piece together what it all means and why it's happening.
rheiders

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:24 am Reply with quote
^As a fan of the show, I thought that was part of its appeal. I don't think the presentation was "needlessly complicated" as you say--I think the writers just wanted to frame it in a way that would force the viewer not to care about what or who you need to focus on at any given point. Each individual scene is presented as just that; a moment disconnected from all the others, forcing the viewer to merely experience it, without thinking about it too much. I got into the show after watching a top villains list that included Ladd Russo, and went into the show expecting something that would match the gleeful madness of his character. I didn't think about it too hard while I was watching it, instead just letting it wash over me, scene by scene. I didn't think too hard about remembering the individual characters, but after five or six episodes I found myself remembering their names and (IMO very fun and memorable) personalities with ease. A couple episodes later I could tell the three arcs apart with ease. By the end I was cheering right along with the characters in the show. I re-watched it immediately, this time able to start putting the disparate pieces of the puzzle together, and upon realizing that the show has a fairly strong narrative to piece together, I fell in love with it even more. Smile

The show actively dissuades viewers from seeking out any kind of substance, almost laughing at anyone who even tries to look beneath the surface. I can definitely understand why someone would see the presentation as a flaw (it certainly doesn't make for very accessible storytelling), especially if they weren't able to just stop caring about being confused like I was, but I thought I'd throw in my two cents because this show is fun to talk about. As far as re-watching it goes, normally I would recommend this as a show that's better upon re-watch, but if you disliked it that much, Sohma_Curse, you probably won't like it that much more just by forcing yourself to sit through it again. I thought it was a clever gimmick the first time through, so I didn't mind watching it again to see how the gimmick worked. If I hadn't been intrigued by the show the first time through, I wouldn't have bothered watching it again.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:31 pm Reply with quote
I can't say I "dislike" Baccano...but it's very hard for me to keep track of it. I recently saw a movie called "Cloud Atlas" and it had about six storylines VERY subtly interacting with too many characters....gawd, did my head hurt. Anime hyper
7jaws7

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:11 am Reply with quote
10: Gurren Lagann - This anime has some of the best characters in anime. It also has some of the best quotes. The energy that this series gives off is practically unmatched. It's the best homage to the old days of giant robot anime. What keeps TTGL from being higher on my list is the fact that the ending was virtually the same as the first half's ending. First they break through the ground and topple the antagonist, in epic fashion. The second half of the series is pretty much the same thing, except on a higher level.

9: Last Exile - This steam-punk series is vastly underrated IMO. Gonzo did a remarkable job creating an original story, giving it superb animation accompanied by a terrific OST, all while spotlighting the science of aviation. Having an amazing English dub also helps. Last Exile is easily my second favorite Gonzo title. Wink

8: Cowboy Bebop - This could be up higher, but for a series that is supposed to have a linear story, I felt there were too many nonsensical episodes. But as far as flaws go, I believe that's really all Cowboy Bebop has. I've heard it been called one of the greatest series ever, and I agree; the characters are iconic, and the story has the classic element of Noir while mixing it with science-fiction. Shinichiro Watanabe is the only person who has the ability to cross genres, and make it work.

7: Beck - Forgive me for stating an opinion like it's a fact, but Beck has got to be the best music-related anime. Ever. The story and characters are both pretty average, and the music that the titular band plays doesn't make them famous. However, it's Yukio's journey throughout the series - particularly his interactions with Ryuusuke - that make this a truly unique series, especially among anime where music is of high prominence.

6: Mushi-shi - One word: art. The story follows only one character, which is obviously its biggest limitation. But this series is one of the best works of animation I've seen. The concepts that guide this series are also why this series makes my list: what would happen if nature were sentient?

5: Revolutionary Girl Utena - Utena is a step ahead of Mushi-shi, because not only does it match the series in terms of art, but it also greatly surpasses in terms of story. It's not just that there are more characters, either - there is also an abundance of symbolism. Overall, this is a series that starts to take you on a ride akin to that of a fairy tale, before taking a slightly hellish turn.

4: Bakemonogatari - Supernatural harems aren't really my thing, but when I finally started watching this show after hearing so many good things about it, I became hooked. Yeah, the dialogue might put some to sleep, and the jokes are often specific to the Japanese language. Regardless, the themes are completely human, particularly romance. Not to mention the fact that Bakemonogatari probably has the best storyboards ever.

3: Haibane Renmei - When I was first introduced to Yoshitoshi ABe's work, he became an immediate favorite. I had already finished Texhnolyze and Serial Experiments Lain, and while I enjoyed both series, they were both gritty, dark, and showed humanity's darkest sides. Haibane Renmei is highly spiritual series, which gives all its characters actual meaning, as opposed to what most series do, by turning them into a quick plot device. At first I had underestimated the relationship between Rakka and Reki, but their roles are essentially reversed from the beginning of the series, to the end.

2. FLCL - Some people say it has no meaning, but they never seem to back it up. That's because it's impossible. In other words, they don't understand it at all. Perhaps they're put off by the style of the animation, or maybe even the characters. It's fine if you hate both, but to say that you hate FLCL in general is like saying you hate intelligence. I mean, you'll never find another show where eyebrows have as much significant meaning. All that's left for me to say to those who still turn this masterpiece down, is watch it, pay attention, and listen to what the characters are saying.

1. Puella Magi Madoka Magica - For me, this series gets a perfect score across the board. The concepts are second to none, and the art is rivaled by few. The characters - particularly Homura - are all essentially being sustained by their wishes - their hope. And if their hope turns to despair, well, anyone who has seen the series knows what happens to them. This sequence of events ultimately leads to what must be one of the greatest literary resolutions ever. This show has received all the praise it deserves, so I really don't think I need to go further; I just wanted to put it in my own words.
Ignatz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:59 am Reply with quote
7jaws7, what happened to your love for Strike Witches? Or did you troll everyone in the Introductions thread? Very Happy
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:34 am Reply with quote
I have been looking on my top/flops, and I think my list really needs an update, three years made a big difference...
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I can imagine. My favorite anime changed greatly over the past 12 months because that was the period in which I watched the most anime in my life by far, I think I watched nearly 2,000 episodes of anime over the past 12 months which is probably more than half of the anime I watched in my life.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Pacal II

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:05 pm Reply with quote
I must say, this was very hard for me to do. First of all, I choose pretty carefully what anime I watch. This means that even though I might’ve seen not many animes, I actually liked most of them, with just about three or four of them turning out to be a disappointment. The list is in alphabetical order, cause if choosing 10 animes I like the most was hard, putting them in order of “best to least best” would be pretty much impossible for me. So here it goes:

Black Lagoon – Black Lagoon wins in the pure enjoyment category. I’ve never been really a fan of action movies, but somehow I haven’t enjoyed any anime more than Black Lagoon. It’s got pirates, explosions, car chases and chicks with guns all wrapped in a tropical setting. What’s there more to like? And of course there’s Revy, my favorite anime heroine and probably my favorite anime character altogether. I definitely wouldn’t say it’s the best anime I’ve watched, but I definitely would say it’s the most: spoiler[Fuckin Awesome Anime I’ve Ever Seen!!!]
Cowboy Bebop – This anime gets a ten out of ten for “style”, in my book. The music is cool, the action is cool, the heroes are cool, pretty much everything about this anime is cool. Watching Cowboy Bebop basically for me feels like walking away slowly from an explosion with a white suit, sunglasses and a cain while smoking a cigar. I also must mention that the music is super cool (even though I have already). I know I used the word cool a lot, but it’s an anime about cowboys in space, so basically you can’t get much cooler to that.
Clannad – No film, book or game made me cry as much as Clannad. And yes, I mean cry. Not just giving you a feeling of sadness, but literal tears. Even now when I think about After Story, it’s like every time me heart just stops for a bit. I can’t imagine anybody who could watch it from beginning to end, and say it didn’t move him just a bit. So basically I put it up on this list, because no other show has had such an emotional impact on me.
Ghost in the shell – By which I mean the series, Stand Alone Complex (though the film was good to). I’ve always been interested a lot in technology, and what changes it might bring in society. And those are basically the two fundamental concepts of GITS. Mind uploading, artificial intelligence, enhanced virtual reality and so on are all really interesting concepts, with which many of us might have to deal with in our lifetimes, and this show creates an awesome story based on them.
Ergo Proxy – Another science-fiction anime I’ve liked. But even though it touches upon themes that interest me, like artificial intelligence, consciousness or life extension, it’s not those themes that make this anime one of my favorites. It’s its… nature? I don’t know how to call it, but it’s as if the whole story was one big experiment, with the authors trying to maneuver the story different ways and just check out what happens. At first, the show’s feel seems pretty consistent, with a dark, edgy setting and a deep, symbolic story. But then suddenly spoiler[we have our heroes taking part in a tv show, going to Disney land and a whole episode dedicated to the main heroine (who until that point was featured as tough and serious) being concerned about her make-up and how the hero hasn’t done a good job at shaving] and yet it all seems ro fit together perfectly.
Higashi no Eden – Probably one of my favorite animes if it comes for pure story. It’s got mystery, touches on social themes, has an antagonist with hidden motives, a protagonist trying to find out about his past and lots of naked, skinny men… what was I? Oh yeah, the story. What I also love about it, is how it balances out the the answers we get and those left unanswered. I’ve also liked the idea behind the titular Eden of the East itself; I like the idea of how technology, social media in particular, can be used to improve our live. I also have to mention that I loved the animation and the music, and speaking of music. That. Opening!
Steins Gate – Aside from the show having one of my favorite hero and heroine of all times it also features of the most original concepts of time travel I’ve encountered in any media. The show also made me do one thing I’d never imagine I’d do, which is reading/playing a visual novel (although it’s the only one up to date). For me also as a person interested in physics it was also quite cool to hear some actual theories behind the time travel itself (even though it didn’t always make to much sence). And it was nice to hear terms like Kerr’s black hole, cosmic strings or many-world interpretation being used in an anime.
Neon Genesis Evangelion – Especially the movie, End of Evangelion. The whole series features one of the best mind-screws I have ever seen, and mind-screws are something I like a lot. No other series made me think so much about, what snowy hell I’ve just watched. I still remember how after watching it I’ve gone around and tried to convince everybody to just watch the damn thing and spent countless hours on the internet reading different interpretations of the show. And obviously I still have no idea what the ending was all about, but that’s the main reason I love it.
Monster – Monster features one thing I think that is really lacking in anime, a great villain. Although Lelouch and Light were also great, first of all they were protagonists while Johan is both the villain and the antagonist of the story. Second of all, in my opinion they don’t hold squat to Liebert. It’s also the methods he uses; it’s not superpowers, it’s pure manipulation and planning. He’s a devil in an angel’s body and he scares the living crap out of me, especially that psychopaths like him are not fiction at all.

It turns out this is even harder than I thought because I can’t decide what anime to put in last. So I guess I think it might be better to actually not decide and just mention that three ones I would consider are: Trigun – for featuring one of my two favorite anime heroes, Bakemonogatari - for its artistic style and cool use of supernatural elements in a modern setting and Baccano – for its loads and loads of cool characters and general wackiness.

I generally prefer to divide anime, by categories: best heroes/heroine, comedy, fantasy, sci-fi and so on. I’ve even got such a list, in which I’ve assigned three titles to different categories.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
Yes, I can imagine. My favorite anime changed greatly over the past 12 months because that was the period in which I watched the most anime in my life by far, I think I watched nearly 2,000 episodes of anime over the past 12 months which is probably more than half of the anime I watched in my life.

Wow I wish I had that amount of spare time! Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Gohan22 wrote:
[list deleted]

you need to explain why or this will get deleted since just listing is allowed not

[EDIT: Like that. -TK]
Ignatz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:41 am Reply with quote
TsunaReborn! wrote:
Jose Cruz wrote:

Wow I wish I had that amount of spare time! Wink

It's only about 2 hours of anime each day.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:17 pm Reply with quote
I really need to get around to making a list for this, issue is I normally think of the things I get into as series in order to disregard things like whether its a anime or manga etc. So jotting it down to JUST anime may be a bit difficult...even if I already know what my top 5 LEAST favorite anime are...funny how that works.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:08 pm Reply with quote
I it possible to redo the list? Would I just need to edit the first one or shall I make a new post all together and delete the previous?
Tris8

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Well, your previous list is from 3 years ago, I'd leave it be (don't delete it!) and post a new top 10 list.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 111 of 122