• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Top 10 / Worst 5 things. Why? (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
InKY Amuro Tachibana

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:11 pm Reply with quote
MUAHAHA!! ^__^ My fave 5 Anime are:
5 - Dragon Ball
Oh... My... God... Where I come from, Dragon Ball was the coolest anime EVER. C'mon... Son Goku and friends made fun of EVERY FAMOUS PERSON. I mean it. I had LOTS of jokes. I watched Dragon Ball when I was 3 and it's repeating now... and I'm 12!! Dragon Ball was in all kinds of magazine covers! Impossible not have heard of it... especially if you live in Portugal =)
Fave Quote:
OH NO! IT'S MISS PORTUGAL 97!! (Son Goku, after spoting a monster)
4 - Pokemon
Total mania, but it never overcame Dragon Ball! I love the video game,but the anime is SO funny (at least the 1st season =P)
Fave Quote:
Get ready for Sport Lisboa and Rocket's revonation! For the 1st time... only on SIC!* (Team Rocket, after Koffing and Ekans evoluted)
3 - Sailor Moon
Cool! ^__^ It's been a LOOOOOONG time since I watched it... ^__^ But I still love it! Sailor Moon has a special place in my heart! =') (that was so corny)
Fave Quote:
Haruka: What's wrong, Michiru? Are you with a fever?
Michiru: No, I think you're the one with fever, you seem weird
Haruka, while the mouth is shut: Poor Michiru, I really think she has a fever
(In episode 110, when Uranus and Neptune have their Talismans taken out)
2 - Bakuten Shoot Beyblade
KYAAAAA!! ^______^ Totally love it! ^__^ At 1st i hated it, but I started to like it when the 2nd season came!
Fave Quote:
None... =P No jokes here, sorry
1 - Chrno Crusade
CHRNO-KUN KOISHITERU!!!!!!!
Fave Quote:
In Sweeden there are white panties... I see white pantie right here... In Sweeden there are pantie white as a sheet...
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:59 pm Reply with quote
InKY Amuro Tachibana wrote:
MUAHAHA!! ^__^ My fave 5 Anime are:
(snip)

Um, could you reorganize your post in order to enhance its readability? I almost mistook you as an American. Anime smile + sweatdrop Besides, isn't Kiddy Grade one of your favorite?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:06 am Reply with quote
Sailor Moon has a special place in my heart! =')

Okay, so you cherish Salor Moon. Why? You never gave us a reason through all of your squealing.

2 - Bakuten Shoot Beyblade
KYAAAAA!! ^______^ Totally love it! ^__^ At 1st i hated it, but I started to like it when the 2nd season came!

So what DO you like about it?

1 - Chrno Crusade

You didn't even TRY here.

Look people, this is starting to get really old. Just throwing together a mess of random gibberish basically dragging out the basic concept "I LIKE IT" is not giving reasons. I do read these, so tossing together jumbles of words doesn't fool me, sorry. What aspects of the show appealed to you? We already got that you liked it because it's appearing here, now WHY?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
XenoCrisis0153

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:24 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Look people, this is starting to get really old. Just throwing together a mess of random gibberish basically dragging out the basic concept "I LIKE IT" is not giving reasons. I do read these, so tossing together jumbles of words doesn't fool me, sorry. What aspects of the show appealed to you? We already got that you liked it because it's appearing here, now WHY?

Okay, I'll try my best...

1) Mai-Hime - best story I've seen so far out of the 100+ series I've watched. The art is sharp and beautiful, the characters fit together naturally, and it stays interesting from scene 1 of the first episode to the final credits of episode 26.

2) Neon Genesis Evangelion - This should be required viewing for anyone who loves anime. I'm not a fan of the giant robot genre, but the raw emotion of the characters (anyone interested in psychology could write a paper on this) and the complexity of the storyline make it worthy of being watched again and again for many years.

3) Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex (season 1) - An excellent cop drama that combines elements of future technology with old-school crime solving tactics. I could watch this series with the sound off just to enjoy the incredible visuals, but then I'd miss out on the intriguing story plots. I like the mix of single-episode stories (standalone) and the long-story arch that ties a handful of the episodes together for one big case (complex).

4) Air - This is nothing but a simple story of a girl in a village who has no friends and strange dreams, yet the emotion that pours out of this series have captured the attention of a great number of anime fans. I was shocked to see how beautiful the art was and each episode left me practically in tears. The music is a huge plus as well.

5) Excel Saga - A classic comedy for all who enjoy anime and like seeing fun poked at it. Each episode is dedicated to a different anime genre which keeps the series fresh and invigorating.

6) Please! Twins - Art, music, and character design drew me to this sequel of Please! Teacher. Many anime series have mysteries that need to be solved throughout its course, but this one had me anxiously standing at my mailbox every two months waiting for the next chapter to arrive (internet shopping is my best friend, haha).

7) Voices of a Distant Star - It's only 25 minutes long, but in that time it manages to be more entertaining and thought-provoking than a vast majority of full-length series I've seen. The story of a young girl seperated from the boy she loves by millions of light-years and being able to communicate through text messaging makes me appreciate having someone I care about only a seven minute drive away. The artwork of this OVA is by far the greatest ever displayed in cinema anywhere.

8) Cowboy Bebop - Including the feature-length movie, this classic series defines cool. The episode-long stories are original and entertaining and the characters are fun to watch. I love future-based series and this one gives an interesting look at what may be in store for mankind (although I doubt all nine planets of our solar system will be fully inhabited by the year 2077, maybe one or two if we're lucky).

9) Uta~Kata - I can't exactly explain why I like this series or why it's on my top ten, but I love the twist on the old magical-girl genre that this series throws in. The character design is great and the story moves quick and smoothly.

10) Psalm of Planets Eureka Seven, Galaxy Angel IV, and Kore Ga Watashi-no Goshujin-sama/He is my Master - I have to give this a three-way tie because I have yet to finish all of these series, yet at the same time, they all have me anxiously awaiting their endings for various reasons. Eureka 7 is an interesting mecha-action story that combines elements of Cowboy Bebop with Evangelion. Galaxy Angel is just plain hilarious, and HimM has some of the best character designs I've seen in recent years.

*** I can't really contribute to a list of bad animes because I usually do my research ahead of time to find out if I would like an anime or not. The ones that I thought would be bad I obviously didn't watch and the ones that I bought but didn't finish weren't necessarily bad, they just were not what I was expecting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:11 pm Reply with quote
XenoCrisis0153 wrote:
4) Air - This is nothing but a simple story of a girl in a village who has no friends and strange dreams, yet the emotion that pours out of this series have captured the attention of a great number of anime fans.

Well, it's definitely not a simple story if you have learned the background about spoiler[how we human once worshipped yet also were afraid of the "winged ones" to the extent of modifying history books in order to erase their existence from our civilization.] Furthermore, the names of girls have secrets, too.

XenoCrisis0153 wrote:
The music is a huge plus as well.

If it wasn't then there wouldn't be such a big fuss.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
XenoCrisis0153

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:30 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
XenoCrisis0153 wrote:
4) Air - This is nothing but a simple story of a girl in a village who has no friends and strange dreams, yet the emotion that pours out of this series have captured the attention of a great number of anime fans.

Well, it's definitely not a simple story if you have learned the background about spoiler[how we human once worshipped yet also were afraid of the "winged ones" to the extent of modifying history books in order to erase their existence from our civilization.] Furthermore, the names of girls have secrets, too.

That is actually an understatement on my part. Of course, anyone who has seen the series understands how complicated the storyline really is. At it's most basic level, it IS a story about a young girl, but the mystery surrounding who she really is is what makes this series quite complicated, and thus enjoyful.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ff_fanatic98

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:59 am Reply with quote
Well top 5 anime:
1. Full Metal Alchemist: I love this series! One of my favourites of all time. I love the storyline, the characters, the character interactions and the sad sad ending. One of the things I really loved about this series was that it didn't carry on forever and drag like a lot of popular series (ie Naruto, Prince of Tennis). The series actually had an end and every moment was important and no useless filler episodes.

2. Naruto: Yes despite the fact that I hate things that drag, I am still powerless against this anime. Yes some of the filler episodes but most of them make me feel like I'm wasting time while watching them. *gets ready to be flamed by die hard narutards*. However I do like the main storyline. I, like any other fangirl, fell head over heels in love with Sasuke when I first saw him but later on I came to hate him. *guards against Sasuke fangirls*. But I am eager to see where the second part will lead to.

3. Fruits Basket: Well the anime wasn't as good as the manga but since this is the anime forum... The anime made me cry twice, first time was when spoiler[Momiji was telling his story ]and I just couldn't stop bawling, second was when spoiler[Kyou hugged Tooru after she accepted him in his true form. ]. I like the storyline of Fruits Basket in general although compared to the manga the anime lacked a lot in terms of storyline, but I did still very much enjoy the anime.

4. Kare Kano: Haven't finished watching the anime but from what I've seen so far I like it. It's a very generic shoujo series when you look at it storyline wise but I love it. For some reason it stands out from all the other shoujo animes I've seen. I love the mix of comedy and romance. At no point (so far) have I felt the need to cringe, unlike some shoujo anime which have made me laugh out loud at 'romantic' moments because they're so crappily done and overly puking sappy. The romantic moments in Karekano make we want to awww and squeal. (yes I'm such a fangirl =P)

5. Basara: I'm putting this series down because I like the whole series (esp the manga) and although the anime left off mid way I did still enjoy it and it made me pick up the manga and read it. I like how the series is about politics and romance and it's so over done 'falling in love with the enemy' storyline, but it does it once again without making me cringe. I congratulate any generic storyline that does not make me cringe, because they are so rare.

lol too lazy to make up a top 5 worst anime, I doubt I would have enough anyway.
melli-chan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:42 am Reply with quote
1) Hunter x Hunter
My first series:) I just adore this show - the story is interesting, the characters evolve, and Hisoka is the coolest bad guy I`ve ever seen (and he`s sooo sexy Laughing ), the arc with Genei Ryodan - love love love(Tropicaana:P) The music is also nice (especially the second opening)

2) Miyazaki and Ghibli`s movies
Especially - My neihgbor Totoro, Spirited away, Grave of the fireflies, Nausicaa, Princess Mononoke, Whisper of the heart, Only yesterday..er...I think that I love all Ghibli`s movies\well, if I have to be honest, the only film I didn`t quite understand, that was Porco Rosso, it is not a movie for the large public...I think\. The magic is everywhere in the movies, some of the characters have amazing design(Totoro for example Very Happy )...

3) Satoshi Kon`s Movies
Another great director, my second favourite, all his movies are brilliant (Perfect Blue, Paranoia Agent, Tokyo Godfathers, Millennium Actress), the animation is really beautiful ( I sort of dislike the standart big eyes, heads, coloured hair etc..) Paranoia Agent is crazy, Millennium Actress is sad, but brings you happiness and faith in miracles, Perfect blue is the best psycho-thriller ever (the atmosphere is so captivating)...

4) Juuni Kokki
What can I say? It so brilliant..it shines..The animation, the characters, the story...just love it, recently I watched it for the second time and i enjoyed it even more (if that`s possible)...Highly recommended Smile

5) Planetes, Slayers(+Next, +Try), Wolf`rain, Cowboy bebop, Rurouni Kenshin OVA, GTO, Guu, FLCL, Excel Saga...
Planetes - even though it is about the future its so realistic...the people are really..people, I mean they aren`t the typical anime heroes, they are weak sometimes, they are emotional, they cry, they fall in love...Great series, really:)
Slayers - It`s so funny funny funny - all the main characters are freaks (in a good way of course), Xellos is the sweetest mazoku ever; you have to give it a try ;p
Guu, FLCL, GTO, Excel(and Puni) - animes to laugh Laughing Absurd, hysteric, crazy, paranoic and...great:)) My favourite comedies:)
Wolf`s Rain, Rurouni Kenshin and Cowboy Bebop(+Trigun) - dramas, tears (sometimes mixed with laughter), when I watched the series I got really emotional...Just love:)

And the animes that I dislike - 1) Early Reins(stupid anime, cliche, I give it 1/10); 2) Naruto (at first I was a big Naruto fan, but...after ep 134 I couldn`t watch more, it totally disappointed me...I think that it could end succesfully after the fight - Gaara-Naruto ;p...), 3) Hentai - sorry, I forced myself to watch one hentai - Sex taxi, it was so meaningless, stupid... "slaba rakiq;p" ike we love to say here in Bulgaria;p 4) Er, I really don`t know...what else...for example - Noir (although I didn`t watch the whole anime, just the first episode, but except for the soundtrack, I couldn`t find another nice thing about this anime and there u go:P) 5) Yu-Gi-Oh - It`s ugly, childish and stupid (I`ve seen just the first season and believe me, that was enough ..)
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:53 pm Reply with quote
melli-chan wrote:
And the animes that I dislike - 1) Early Reins(stupid anime, cliche, I give it 1/10); 2) Naruto (at first I was a big Naruto fan, but...after ep 134 I couldn`t watch more, it totally disappointed me...I think that it could end succesfully after the fight - Gaara-Naruto ;p...), 3) Hentai - sorry, I forced myself to watch one hentai - Sex taxi, it was so meaningless, stupid... "slaba rakiq;p" ike we love to say here in Bulgaria;p 4) Er, I really don`t know...what else...for example - Noir (although I didn`t watch the whole anime, just the first episode, but except for the soundtrack, I couldn`t find another nice thing about this anime and there u go:P) 5) Yu-Gi-Oh - It`s ugly, childish and stupid (I`ve seen just the first season and believe me, that was enough ..)

These didn't really tell us anything about what made you dislike these anime. They basically either reiterated the basic idea that you just didn't like them, or presented an extremely vague argument like "ugly" or "childish," which still doesn't tell us anything specifically about what in the show was "ugly" or "childish" that you personally couldn't stand.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Brainsloth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Hiya. I'm new to the boards, and the initial impulse is, of course, to tell everyone about your favorites, so I figured I'd get it out of the way in the right place. A top 5:

5. Azumanga Daioh
I'm a sucker for a good shoujo anime, and this is one of the best I've seen. Kiyohiko Azuma's character designs are clean and appealing, and the entire show itself has a soft, whimsical look that really accents the comedy. Each of the characters are strongly defined and generally likeable (save, perhaps, for the mega-creepy Kimura-sensei), but my favorite part of the show is its brilliant sense of timing. The directors know when to stop and hold on a gag, allowing the viewer to ride the Sideshow-Bob-Stepping-On-Rakes Curve of hilarity. Subtle gags turn to sidesplitting laughter.

4. Cowboy Bebop
This is the first anime I can really remember getting in to, but it's more than nostalgia that keeps me coming back. It's been said countless times, but Cowboy Bebop is nothing short of the definition of cool. Every facet of the show works, from Yoko Kanno's brilliant space-jazz scoring, to the inventive settings and storylines, to Shinichiro Watanabe's unmatched directorial flair. That the entire affair, with its data dogs, mushroom freakouts, and, well, Ed, is presented with a tongue planted firmly in cheek is icing on the cake. A true classic.

3. Samurai Champloo
It's like Shinichiro Watanabe figured he had the future pretty well covered with Bebop, and decided to go ahead and get the past and present out of the way in one shot with his next show. That this irreverent hip-hop-samurai mashup is 'cool' is a given, but what I like best is how you can see Watanabe perfecting his craft. It's a clichéd term, but Watanabe's direction here is painterly, with as much attention paid to the elegant framing and composition of shots as to the kinetic action scenes. I could watch this one with the volume off.

2. Full Metal Panic! (All of them)
It was a random episode from the comedy-heavy Fumoffu that turned me on to this comedic goldmine, but having now seen the first season (and the continually excellent Second Raid), I appreciate the well-written suspense and action half of the series just as much. I especially enjoy the meticulous dialogue that pops up in the mission-oriented episodes -- it reminds me of a movie like Ghostbusters, where you can just imagine the writers having a blast coming up with the lingo. Add in a superb cast of characters, including a great run of villains from Gauron to Mr. Gates, and this is a show I have a lot of fun loving.

1. Naruto
I've read probably a billion reasons to hate this anime, but nobody filled me in before I got in to it, so now it's too late. Now, I love a good ninja ability like the next guy, but it's the characters I love best about Naruto. Like professional wrestling (boy, I'm really setting myself up here), Naruto uses strong characters to make the action compelling (The wrestling analogy actually goes deeper, but I'll save you the tedium of reading why Naruto is so the Shawn Michaels of anime). It may be lightweight kid's fare, or a derivative, disposable waste of time, or who knows what... but it's my favorite show and the one I look forward to most each week (except when they had the storyline about that guy running, that was dumb).
melli-chan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:20 am Reply with quote
Nagisa, thats because I really prefer to talk about my favourite titles, instead of spit upon the anime:)
But if you like me to be more specific, ok:
Early reins - so, as I already said, it`s a cliche, the girls have these huuuge breasts and huge eyes (fanservice isn't for me), the story is predictable, although it tries to make some turns and so...
For Naruto - I explained, it's because it's too long(and also I really don't like the fact that the anime copy my favourite series:P), and also the main character is getting on my nerves, the techniques repeat (come on, if I have to see this Razengan, or Chidori or I don't know what else again;p...)
Hentai - do I really need an explanation here? I mean - the lack of story and so..I can just watch porn if I need to get excited:DVery Happy Sometimes I think that the animators waste away their talent for making this kind of movies
Noir - if I have to be honest, I put this title in this list, cause I really didn't know what else to put(and I wanted to make 5 titles:P), when I don't like something I just stop watching it and that's what happened with Noir, so I don't have the right to judge the anime (I can't talk about story, cause I've seen just one episde), maybe the atmosphere wasn't my type\although I don't remember a thing..what was about...\ and also the animation - I can't remember why, it was two years ago, but I didn't like the character design and the motion...I think
Yu-Gi-Oh - When I say childish, I mean it, seriously:P here mainly the kids like the anime, and we, the "old" anime fans, find it quite..not for our age:P The whole idea with the cards, I don't like the monsters(I simply don't like movies with monsters), I don't like the fact that almost every episode is about a fight...and the winner is always the good guy...I don't like the animation (some of my friends think that Yugi is sexy and has stylish hair, well I couldn't find a boy less sexier than him...and his hair..I still have nightmares:PRazz Razz Very Happy) I say ugly and this is my opinion, I don't know if I can explain what I'm talking abour , I mean even when I say - the characters are ugly, that doesn't change much (I'm not talking about the quality of the animation, It's just...as if I see ugly people before me:P), It's just how I feel the anime:)
So, how's this for an explanation? if it is not enough, I'll simply watch again my "favourite" series and will make a list with the things I didn't like:P
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:30 am Reply with quote
Hiyah!

Well, here are my faves:

5-Rurouni Kenshin (I love swords, and besides the historical context makes it a masterpiece)
4-Evangelion (I like the Series, but I don't love it as I should. I like mostly because it's GAINAX and Rei is soooo kakkoii)
3-X-CLAMP (the only shojo manga I like... Kamui's a dreamy bishonen and I like the theme)
2-FLCL (nonsense galore and the cutest kuroneko I've ever seen. Besides, my best friend's in love with nutsy alien Haruko)
1-Captain Tsubasa (me, the soccer lover, how can I just say NO to the very first manga/anime series I've ever seen and has made me so happy? Besides, this series has the hottest goalkeeper around: S.G.G.K Wakabayashi Genzo)

Series I don't like (no apparent order)
-Dragon Ball (don't like the chara design)
-Sailor Moon (man, I don't see where's the appeal in a girl who spends 99.9% of her time crying and whining. Sorry people, but that's what it is)
-Card Captor Sakura (sorry to say this, but I don't like shojo manga, and besides seeing that there's some SA doesn't really give a good example to kids, right?)
-Pokémon (please, please, PLEASE stop it!!!)

Well, that's all what I can think about.

Greetings!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:49 pm Reply with quote
TestamentSaki wrote:
-Pokémon (please, please, PLEASE stop it!!!)

Um, okay? The rest of your list is at best still very questionably done, but I'll be generous and let it slide if you can just at least provide some semblance of coherent reasoning for this one.
mym

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:30 pm Reply with quote
OMG! how can Naruto be one of the worst animes you have ever seen? Its one of my best!.. Why didn't you like it? I'm so suprised! Its theme was quite obvious!.. I dont know about you, but it really moved me. Naruto is inspiring!.. His ambition and determination really relates to struggling teenagers..!

Anyways just curious I guess, but your the expert I haven't seen many animes really. But I'm really interested in them, and Im planning on viewing more. There much more creative.
Brack

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Top 5

1) One Piece - it's certainly not what I'd consider the best anime, but it is my favourite. It's strengths - being based on an excellent manga, the voice acting, and of late stepping the level of animation up a notch and making use of the widescreen format - easily outweigh the weaknesses - the interminable filler storylines, occasional weak animation and off-model character design. Overall though it's the strength of Oda's original story that makes this my favourite.

2) Patlabor - here it's the characters rather than the plot that do it for me. Have there ever been such well drawn personalities and such understanding of how those personalities would react to each other. For me it's not about the plot here - it's how the characters react to it.

3) Paranoia Agent - here it is the storytelling that wins the day. Very few shows have had me craving the next episode like this show. And even fewer have done it while veering between thriller and black comedy as Paranoia Agent does.

4) Sexy Commando - it's a comedy. It has made me laugh more than any other comedy anime. Therefore by that qualification it succeeds in it's purpose. And gets in my top 5.

5) Giant Robo - It's pompous, camp, and over ambitious. It's pretty much guaranteed not to be ever followed up on. It's a fantastic piece of animation from a time when the OAV was king. Indeed there's a pretty good argument for it being the last great OAV series. It's so gloriously over the top, you've just got to love it.

Bottom 5 - no particular order.

Neon Genesis Evangelion - I once loved this show, but it was dealt a death by over exposure. By Gainax, it's fans and it's copyists.

Naruto - I'm one of those folks who started loving this, but when it became apparant that the creator had no idea where he was taking the story I first abandoned the manga, then the anime. A total missed opportunity.

Rizelmine - It's whole Urusei Yatsura with jailbait vibe was bad enough. The fact it ripped off UY's opening so closely just sealed the deal.

The collected works of m.o.e. - similar reasons as Rizelmine, except with less UY fan indignation.

Advent Children - nice for a technical demo. It's a shame they couldn't have got someone who understood how to make films to direct it though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 21 of 122