• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Top 10 / Worst 5 things. Why? (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dustandechoes91

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:00 pm Reply with quote
fav:

1-Elfen Lied
I first heard of this when i was browsing an ebay seller's anime dvd's and asked about it on the playstation underground forums anime section. I was told it was good, so i decided to download the first episode off limewire. I watched it and immedeatly liked it and ordered the dvd, however i could not contain myself and just kept downloading and watching the episodes until i had seen all 14(13 and the extra) in one day

2-FLCL
When i first saw this on adult swim, it was probably the most confusing thing i had ever seen. Now i have seen all 6 episodes many times and think it is one of the best anime shows that i have ever seen

3-Ghost in the Shell
I have seen both movies and most of the tv series(S.A.C.) and i think this is a must see for any action fan, easily moves into my top favorites

4-RahXephon
I've only seen 3 episodes of this, and the fact that i only saw 3 and have this as #4 really says something. Currently waiting for my dvds to come(damn you ground shipping!) This is really the only robot fighting show i have really gotten into, but mainly because it goes soo much further than robot fighting

5-Fullmetal Alchemist
To tell you the truth, if someone were to ask me what i thought of this i would say that i didn't like it, but then again why is it number 5 on my favorites? to answer this, i must ask myself, how could i hate it and yet have watched all 53(wasnt it?) episodes in 2 weeks. I guess maybee because i had seen too much of it and got boring, but i admit at one period in time i could have made this #1

I haven't seen very much anime so i only have 5 that i could list, here are my least favorite

1- Yugioh
Pokemon cards were enough, now a show devoted to people playing the same thing...how exciting

2-Duel masters
Smae thing as #1, only more craptastic

3-Pokemon
poKAYmon are teh poKAYsuck, this show was horrible, although i must admit to playing 2 of the gameboy games

4-SD Gundam
I never really got into gundam shows, but this SUCKED. I only saw one episode and i have to admit this was one of the stupidest things ever

5-Digimon
Its pokemon, in a computer (poKAYsuck!)
Hoenheim

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Favorite Anime:

1. Mushishi: Every time I watch an episode of Mushishi I remember why I like it so much. To me, every episode is like a good movie, not just a normal anime episode. The characters are really interesting as well. Ginko (the main character) isn't your typical spirit hunter nice guy but he acts like one. Also, all the secondary characters so far have been really deep as well as their connection with the mushi. About each episode being like a movie, with certain episodes they could probably make a whole series of anime on each one.

2. Paranoia Agent: Paranoia Agent left me wanting more. It's definately the weirdest anime I've seen (not saying it's the weirdest, just the weirdest I've seen) but most of the weirdness has meaning. I love how every episode gets you thinking and aside from some small detail (last episode spoiler) spoiler[like the explaination of shonen bat being maromi] makes you infer all the main plot points.

3. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya: A drasticly different anime than my top 2, I still love it. It's a great comedy as well as a great sci-fi with good romance elements as well. Haruhi is definately a very interesting character. I love how (not really a big spoiler, like ep 2, just wanted to be safe) spoiler[she starts out so quiet then Kyon unleashes her wrath upon himself and others]. It's definately fun, and gets you thinking as well with its weird chronology and such.

4. Neon Genesis Evangelion: A very well made anime in my opinion. Shinji is definately a great character, as well as being revolutionary. As people have mentioned earlier, you for sure have to watch this series multiple times to get the full effect. After watching the end (and I liked the ending... very thought-provoking, even if it was un-evangelionlike) and then going back and reading my volume 1 of the manga it was much more interesting. Also, Shinji is somewhat like me, not the me that others see me as, but the me I see me as. This probably let me relate to the series more.

5. Fullmetal Alchemist: Used to be number one, but now its shonen-ness has turned me away from it, but it's still a great anime, definately not your typical shonen anime. While the characters are decent, not too special (moreso than other anime) it's drama and comedy elements are both above-average giving you an interesting flavor. One thing I liked about it was its more-than-usual unpredictability (last two episode spoilers) spoiler[like Ed dying was very unpredicted... well it would have been if it wasnt spoiled for me >< anyways, but then the shonen-ness and money-making need got in the way and had Ed resurected]. I think the plot and comedy/drama mix was it's strong point.

Honorable Mention: Eureka 7: Not your typical shonen anime (to reuse that phrase) but moreso than Fullmetal Alchemsit. I've only watched the first 8 episodes that have been on adult swim, and am likign it a lot so far. A good character arangement and good love story as well. It also has some realistic elements I like.

T h e B o t t e m (Don't hate many anime, I can still try though)

Worst Ever: Blood: The Last Vampire: This made me regret living. Ok, so it didn't, but was bad enough to for some, I'm sure. I watched this waiting for Vampire Hunter D to come on TV, and thought the premise of Blood sounded good but ended up hating it more than any anime/move/TV show/manga/book ever. It's characters wern't very interesting and the whole english/japanese thing got confusing. The action was somewhat good I guess... but it had "important" plot points that ended up going nowhere. I would like to hear something good about Blood since all my opinions are negiitve.

2. Naruto: I might not put naruto here if it didn't have such a strong fanbase. I never thought naruto was all that good but everyone loving it got me to see it. There's just... nothing that special... except the jutsus which are cool. The plot is never that good, the characters (I'm not character obsessed, it's just something that keeps coming up I guess...) are not deep at all, and well... just not very good. I think the fanbase makes it worse for me because of the desire to dislike something popular (which I never thought was good in the first place, from reading the manga).

3. Ghost in the Shell: Just not much of anything. No good plot, un-interesting plot developments; nothing to really grab you in. I guess thats why I never got into it. In my opinion, the best part is the intro.

4. IGPX: Not really that bad of an anime, just an anime I could think of I dont like... since like I said, I dont hate much anime. It's characters arn't that interesting and it's plot's too typical... nothing that gets you too attatched to it or anything. Just something that sorta doesnt have a very defined existance.

Those 3 are all I could really think of Confused Well, theres my addition.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Culley

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:06 pm Reply with quote
This is my first post. I've only been watching Anime movies, OVA, and series for about 4 years. I've never read a Manga, so am (obviously) no authority on the matter.

Favorite Anime (I only have seven):

1. Paranoia Agent: For the same reason tv series like Twin Peaks and The Prisoner are my favorite live action shows, Paranoia Agent is not afraid to be original. It's suspenseful, but not only in the Alfred Hitchcock way, but... in that it's so intriguing. This is the only Anime series I own. Nothing else comes even close to this, in my opinion.

2. Grave of the Fireflies: While I had seen other Anime before this, GotF convinced me that Anime should be taken seriously. GotF has emotional depth not found in many forms of entertainment (film, TV, etc) today. What I liked was that even though the story wasn't very complex or challenging, and it wasn't an action packed adventure, GotF was still engaging and moving. To feel such sadness from "cartoons" really struck me as something significant.

3. Full Metal Alchemist: Like any good tv show, FMA stayed with me months after watching it. I re-watched it with my wife. FMA is my friend. I felt like I grew with the characters as I watched it. Some Anime I like, I needed a break from because I felt I was getting burned out. FMA was the type of show I wanted to watch non-stop from start to finish.

4. Last Exile: Last Exile was capitivating. I wasn't sure if I would be in the mood for it. The first few episodes took me a while to get through. I had been watching a lot of Anime when I started LE and was getting a little bored with Anime in general. All of a sudden, though, I felt myself drawn into LE and by the time it was over, I realized I had just seen one of the greatest series ever.

5. Spirited Away: Magical. The first Anime I watched. Up to this point, I had been a big fan of Akira Kurosawa films, but had never seen an Anime film. I was a bit skeptical at first, but was immediately drawn into how SCARY this tale was. For anybody new to Anime, you will realize that it's for the Family, not kid's stuff.

6. Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal: I was wondering if this would live up to all of the "hype" it had received. I'm not sure if it did, but I was very impressed. Samurai X was more like Grave of the Fireflies in that it had very little "anime-like" qualities. No silly noises or expressions. No insane action scenes. It was a genuinely beautiful and harrowing tale. I haven't seen any of the other Samurai X material, but this is a wonderful OVA.

7. Trigun: My first Anime series. I liked it quite a lot. I put it in my Top Ten, because it interested me enough to keep watching Anime. While the story itself was pretty simple, I'm a fan of "spaghetti westerns" and this did not seem too much of a leap from the Akira Kurosawa films I was used to.

As far as least favorite, I only have two:

1. Cowboy Bebop: I know there are far worse, but... I had to force myself to finish this series. I liked a few episodes, but just barely. It failed to really stay on track with the storyline. I know it's episodic, but... I really had enjoyed the continuity in anime like Paranoia Agent and Last Exile. This lacked it. It was hyped by so many people, but I fail to see the appeal?

2. Naruto: It is probably unfair of me to list this in my least favorites, but I am. I tried to watch this Anime several times, but could never make it through the first episode! It was just trite and really turned me off to Anime in general. In fact, after I tried watching this, I took about a six month break from Anime all together.
Huntsman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:29 am Reply with quote
BEST

1. Fullmetal Alchemist. The story is the best story I've seen put in a anime. The animation is great, and the soundtrack is amazing.

2. Samurai X. I count both the OVA and TV serise together. What can I say I loved the journy of a man trying to find atoment for his crimes and finding a place where he belongs.

3. Cowboy Bebop. It has a little bit of everything. The characters and storieis are very good.

4. RahXephon. Now this is what people should watch in stead of that piece of crap Evangelion. It actually makes sence at the end.

5. Basilisk. I think it's one of the most emotional anime I've ever seen. I mean I had tears in my eyes when I saw the last episode, and I don't cry.

6. Planetes. I loved it because it was so down to earth. No over the top Mecha or aliens just a story that might actually take place in the not so distant future.

7. Ai Yori Aoshi. I admit it I can be a romantic sometimes. It's just a heartwarming show.

8. Blue Gender. I'm most likly in the minority but I really liked this series. I think because I am care about the earth and I don't like what were doing to it.

9. Berserk. Sure it is violent, but it has a very good story and it was completly hand drawen. The only thing I wish they could have done was make a second season, but I don't think that's going to happen.

10. Kare Kano. There my romantic side took over again. The story is great about character breaking out of their shells and conquering the past. Again another series where they should have had a second season, but I guess they cann't anytime soon because the manga is still going on.

Worst.

1. Evangelion. The worst anime I've ever can remember seeing. The story just plain sucks. The animation is terrible and the characters are the most irretating characters, and that's being nice. I sold the entire series my brother had given me for $10 bucks. I just wanted it out of my house.

2. Ranma ½. I just hated this show. The characters never moved foward. They just kept using the same plot device over and over again. That's why I don't like most romantic anime.

3. Nadesico. The story made no sence. The animation wasn't that good.

4. Ninja Scroll (TV). I loved the movie, but the tv series just sucked. I'm not sure what happened to make it suck. The story was pretty bad, and the characters were terrible. Mabey it was because it wasn't 24 episodes or more. I don't like that many anime that are 12 or 13 episodes. How can you tell a story with that many characters in 13 episodes. It just doesn't work for me.

5. Yu-Gi-Oh!. I liked it a little at first, but after watch about half the series I realized how bad it was. Yu-Gi-Oh always wins and the character never grow they stay the same. I mean who wants that for a anime. Hell I didn't even want that as a child. I was watching Robotech and Voltron when I was 8.
dylan2d

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:17 am Reply with quote
I really can't get an order my favourite anime, and It's really hard to actually find ten of my favourite, but I'll try.

FLCL
This is a really good anime. Really confusing to most, why, not too sure I got the plot right away, and I thought it was excellent. It has really good animation and an awesome soundtrack filled with excellent Pillows music and was really all around pretty good.

Kino no Tabi
For those who have seen Mushishi, this anime is a lot like that. The biggest difference though is that in each episode there is a clear idea of a moral, unlike Mushishi where it is a little more implicit. A really good anime to watch with nice animation and music. A memorable one for me.

Studio Ghibli
I know this is not one anime but many, but I feel that all of Miyazaki's films are excellent. They all have good stories, and a lot of work is put into the animation. If you have seen any of his films then you may understand that the quality of animation is above and beyond. Studio Ghibli films are some of my favourite anime, even the really "boring" ones that not much happens but are really beutifull and easy to relate to. They are all really beutifully done and I believe everyone should watch at least one of Miyazaki's films.

Samurai X: OVAs
I found the OVAs to be a lot better then the tv show, just because of the overall attitude of the OVAs compared to the series. Being OVAs and not a long series the animation is also a step up from the series and is very nice to watch. If you like Rurouni Kenshin, and you want to know what happened before the first season on the series you should check these out. I'm sure you won't be dissapointed.

Kimi ga nozumo Ein
Another one of my favourites which was really nicely done was KGNE. One of the most heart wrenching anime dramas I have ever seen. So well done. Just watch it. Well it is a love based drama but it really was touching. Just watch it.

RahXephon/Evangelion
I'm going to cheat again. These two animes I found to be really great but I don't know which is better. Many will disagree but to me they were the exact same story. Now told in a different way, a much different way, they still had the same moral. RahXephon was a little easier to understand then Evangelion for most people, again I didn't have any problem understanding Eva, and I believe RahXephon is quite a bit newer then Eva which would explain the quality difference in the animation. Never the less I really enjoyed both.

Beck - Mongolian Chop Squad
Last one. I really enjoyed Beck because of the overall feel of the show, again. I really liked the music and it seemed a pretty down to earth storyline that was believable. Nothing really over the top. All around good animation and soundtrack; I would recommend it to anyone.

There are a lot more but I don't want to make a huge list.
Anyways.... The worst

G-Gundam
I am a pretty big fan of Gundam having seen all, not even kidding, of the gundam series including spin offs and movies and mini spin offs and the what not. So I'm a little dissapointed to have this on my worst list. Anyways wasn't too bad to begin with had a pretty good story going and then well. I really don't know what they were thinking. I don't even want to try to explain what I think they might have been thinking. The animation and soundtrack weren't bad, but the story took a nose dive into, well something so horrible if man were to discover it's existance then our entire civilisation would be thrown into a hell so terrible, I don't even want to explain.

*Edit* As nagisa pointed out I really didn't saw why it was bad so here it is. The reason why G-Gundam was soo bad in my opinion is that halfway through the series they take this giant turn into a completly different storyline and introduce this completly different idea that has very little to do with the beggining of the anime, as well as it really had no point to it except to promote this moral of taking care of planet earth. And they had to also through in this bad love drama that caused a ridiculous problem in the end of the series. The main reason was that because it was a gundam series and I was hoping for something as good as Gundam Wing it completly shattered my hopes, and at the moment is the biggest let down in my anime watching life.

Last edited by dylan2d on Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
free2slap

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:23 pm Reply with quote
my favorites are from the top

1. Hunter x hunter: it may be the best Shounen ever done. dont get confused by the title, they hunters because it's a man hunt.
2. berserk: don't get me wrong but i love violence type anime and for a main character like him not to concern about good or wrong, technically we gotta love it.
3. eureka seven: overall the best anime mecha. it seemed a little evangelion in the end but that is just my opinion. besides the romance in it was quite impressive.,
4. mushishi: still ongoing, and i love horror anime. the animation is good , the character too and also the story.
5. beck: involving the world of music, a group of kids discovering how to make it in the business but they will realize it's only hard work.
6. last exile: i was really content with this science fiction and i really loved the characters.
7. monster: how dramatic was it when i first saw this anime and the suspense keep mounting up. this anime is recommended to everyone.
8. fullmetal panic: no need to say anything because it's on everyone's list and we all do enjoy it.
9. golden boy: the funniest perverted anime ever. i only wished they produced more episodes
10. one piece: this isn't really my type of anime because it's too childish but i can't help to watch how this anime is going to end, if it will ever be anyway.

the most hated are :
naruto ( yea i see a remake of pokemon Very Happy just kidding), all the gundams, now and then, here and there, DBZ, evangelion because i really dont understand anything and the main character is such a wimp...captain tylor,,...
[/b]
illegal_ninja

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:46 am Reply with quote
FAVORITE
(This is my current favorites. They change often, but I think most of these will stay the same)

<1> Ouran High School Host Club - Basically? This is my crack. Its one of the few things that just makes me laugh my ass off. The cast is priceless, and humor is so abundant. And, I can watch the anime episodes over, and over and never get sick of them, unlike other anime. Not to mention the art! I adore it. The colors are fabulous, and the animation is great! Not to mention them bishounen!

<2> Jyu Oh Sei - It keeps me interested, the art is pretty, and the animation is fluid. I want to know what happens in the end. I wanna know why Thor is on the planet. I wanna know! Oh...and the pretty boys are nice too.

<3> XXXHOLiC - Well, I'm a big fan of the manga, so the anime is just the same. Watanuki and his outrageous reactions to things makes me happy. Though, I know it is in proper CLAMP style and all, the art gets on my nerves.

<4> Gundam Wing - Mainly for the slash factor. What? I'm shameless. But, giant mecha fighting in space makes me happy. But pretty, angsty, and slashable bishounen makes me warm inside. ~_^

<5> Here is Greenwood - Another fan of the manga one. It is very funny, a classic in my book. Shinobu and Mitsuru slash makes me happy too. Well...Mitsuru makes me happy period. Oh! And Suka and Shun are so cute. <3

<6> Howl's Moving Castle - It's Miyazaki, need I say more? The art is beautiful, and the gorgeous backgrounds make me very happy inside. Howl is a classic character, and Sophie is a good strong heroine. Oh, and I love it!

<7> .Hack//Roots - I'm a fan of .Hack (aside from the Legend of Twilight series) and will gladly jump onto anything to do with it. I like the art, and I also am interested in it.

<8> Tsubasa RESERVioR CHRoNiCLE - I am more of a fan of the manga, but the anime is nice as well. Oh, and Fye actually speaking makes me happy.

<9> Tale of Saiunkoku - A very good love story without an annoying heroine for once! And its not just about the love story, though primarily based. There's politics, and...pretty boys! Kekekeke

<10> Sensitive P*graph - I do love me some yaoi.

LEAST FAVORITE

<1> Inu Yasha - To piss everyone off. No, seriously. Its repetitive, boring, has bad jokes, and well, it ends STUPID.

<2> IGPX - Don't get me started. I don't like it.

<3> One Piece - I just don't! Story annoys me, I find it pointless. Character designs give me nightmares. Luffy frightens me. The dub made me hate all dubs period. Ruins pirates. Pirates deserve better than annoying, crazy, rubber boys named Luffy to be their king. W.T.F.

<4> Gravitation - In my opinion, the manga is way better. IT'S NOT NEARLY CRACKTASTIC ENOUGH. D: The dub makes me ears BLEED.

<5> Gundam SEED - I just don't like it at all whatsoever. The boys? They look like girls. The girls? They look like boys. The art? Is horrible. Kira? Is a whiny annoying git who can't stand up to a stupid pink haired prat, and is still somehow male. The ball robot thing? Annoys the ever loving crap outta me.

[EDIT: This will be the third post of yours that I've had to change the font back to normal. I hope you're seeing this or have at least read your other ones. -TK]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
bluepita

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, my mind always goes blank at this question, so I'll list a few that I love:
Favorites

1. Hunter x Hunter: always and forever. Smile It was the first anime I saw not on tv and has never been replaced as my favorite. As someone earlier mentioned, it's a shounen anime, but the characters make it more than that. Good storyline, extremely engaging characters, and the main protagonist is unique, a nice mixture of what have been traditionally considered feminine and masculine traits. I always appreciate characters who go beyond traditional male or female and are only human. (I am not referring to gender identity or anything, just going outside the stereotype.)

2. Ghost in the Shell and GitS: Innocence. Very thought provoking I thought, and I tend to love Oshii's work anyway. I enjoy how the characters transcend the popular limits of gender again, and then both the philosophical themes as well as Oshii's themes on redefining humanity or what should be considered equal with humanity.

3. Fruits Basket: Come on, it's just cute and funny.

4. Wolf's Rain: Just love the entire look and the music, as well as the idea of a paradise or salvation. I love any anime like Wolf's Rain that gives you something to think about or that you can find parallels to in literature or religion.

5. and after all that, I think I'll pick Gravitation. It's just flat out funny, and I love the two main characters.

I think I'll stop at 5. Despite the list, the bulk of what I like is fluffy shojo, but these are my top favorites...well some of them.

Least Favorites

1. Meine Libe (I think that's spelled right??): Ugh, overly dramatic music, characters who have no depth or really any redeeming points. I just kept hoping they would all die...

2. Suzuka: I didn't hate this. In a way I kind of liked it. But, I wouldn't watch it again. It felt they weren't sure where they were going. Although I loved the love story at first, I kept feeling like what I wanted to happen and what I felt like I should want to happen were vastly different. It was uncomfortable.

3. PAnyo Panyo Digi Charat: Way to sweet and sugary for me. My daughter loves it, but it's the one anime she has I won't watch iwth her. It gives mea headache.

I can't think of much else. I know there are others I have seen and not liked, but I've managed to forget them mostly. Smile I've been lucky enough to get really good recommendations most of the time.
Kuririn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:21 am Reply with quote
1.Dragon Ball/Z/GT - Well DB is just my favorite anime of all time. Is the story that never ends (almost) and it never stopped being interesting for me. Gt is the weakest link here but i still enjoyed specially the first 13 eps (they were kinda like the original DB), Super 17 saga( fantastic and sad when Krillin dies) and the final 4 episodes were awesome too (great fight and great ending).

2.Sailor Moon - Another obsession i guess. I love all the series including the live action one. It was funny but at the same time a great story and interesting characters minus Chibiusa of course. I loved the episode when Usagi transforms into the princess. That scene was very touchin even in the dub!

3. Samurai X/Rurouni Kenshin - Another classic. I loved everything the story, the characters everything! I liked even the fillers episodes. The best/worst was the ovas though. The best because the story was way darker than in the tv series and worst because the tragin ending where i don't deny i cried Sad

4. Final Fantasy Unlimited/ Legend of Crystals- i'm just crazy with anything about Final Fantasy.

5. Outlaw Star- My favorite western, much better than Trigun or Cowboy Bebop(in my opinion of course).

6. The Slayers- Funny, funny stuff.

7.Monster Rancher- At first i thought this was oing to be like Pokémon or Digimon but unlike Poke this actually had plot. Loved every minute of it.

8. Ranma 1/2 - This a classic. Comedy and romance are never this funnier unless Rumiko Takahashi is in charge!!!

9. Revolutionary Girl Utena - a masterpiece

10. Gundam/Candy Candy/Teknoman/Peter pan/Wizard of Oz/Gatchaman - i just couldn't decide for one. Gundam(all of them) is/are the best mecha series, candy Candy is one of the saddest stories i have ever seen, Teknoman and Gatchaman are classics and i grew up watching Peter Pan no Bouken and Wizard of oz so nostalgia kicks in here.

worst:
1. Cowboy bebop- just boring
2.Sd Gundam- it almost destroyed my love for gundam.
3. Pokemon- sucks after the first season.
4.IGPX- Somethings are good but the races are a real turn off.
5. Patlabor- I just couldn't never get into it.
animelovercin_121

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:20 pm Reply with quote
My Top 10 are

Naruto
i'm kinda suprised that some of you don't like this movie. i love the storyline. i think it's unique and awesome, with al the ninja techniques, and fighting.

Bleach
i like the storyline a lot. Plus all the charectors and all the different weapons and stuff like that.

Card Captor Sakura
[/b]it's the cute couple Sakura and Syaoran i like the most Very Happy

Princess Monoke!
This is a masterpiece!!!! I love the music, the storyline, everthing.

Please Twins
i like the storyline and the complicated romance.

Inuyasha
the fantasy and romance is good. i like the storyline a lot too.

Marmalade Boy
i like this because it's funny and i like the romance.

Boys over Flowers
i really like the storyline. Did you know there's a chinese version based on it? it's real life and everything. i like it a lot too.

Flame of Recca
i like the storyline, the fighting, the techniques, the charectors(FUKO!! Very Happy ) and everything.

Fruits basket!
[/b]i love the charectors and the storyline is good.

My bottom 5

[b]Kare Kano
i don't know why i don't like this movie. i guess i just didn't like reading the manga.

Peach Girl
i really don't like the drawings so i don't read the manga.

Angel Diary
i'm not a fan of boy/boy couples

Hikaru no go
i just don't like it very much

Full Metal Panic
A lot of people might like this show, but i don't. i don't like the pairiing of Souske and Kaname.

Very Happy
Fullerific

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Note: I'm leaving off a couple of series because they aren't finished (ie: One Piece). That is a show that will most likely go in my top 10 upon it's completion even if it stops before the manga does.

Also, I'm not counting movies otherwise my list would be full of Ghibli movies.

Top 10:

10. Hajime No Ippo

I'm a big sports anime fan, and this is one of the best. A very good main character who evolves and is surrounded by a great cast. If this was a top 10 list of inspirational anime, I would put this near the top because you see how hard Ippo worked, it kinda makes you want to go out and do road work with him also. Character designs are different from what you're used to, and for good reason. You don't want pretty boys being boxers. Good amounts of humor and action.

9. Hana Yori Dango

I have a wide variety of tastes in anime. I love shounen like naruto, bleach, one piece, and I love shoujo ones also like fushigi yugi (not in top 10) and Hana Yori Dango.

I'm not one that usually reads manga. If the anime is still going it feels like I'm reading spoilers. But the manga had ended in 2003 i believe, while the anime was from 97. I loved the anime so much that I had to read the manga also. I just couldn't get enough. I just loved the fact that I hated a certain character at first, then he became my favorite later on. The writer just takes our hearts and twists them at some point til we wren't even sure who we want to be with whom anymore.

8. Juuni Kokki / 12 Kingdoms

It would be rated higher if we found out more about Taiki. I know he's in the parts of the books later on that werent used, but oh well.

Normally I don't like anime where a character gets taken to another world/dimension, but 12 Kingdoms did this the right way. It wasn't just some random world, a lot of thought and backstory was put into the world and didn't just revolve around the main character. This was just her story as the ruler of one of the 12 kingdoms. If she wasn't there it just meant disaster for her kingdom, not the entire universe. So I liked that. It was a universe that I would put right up there with One Piece being thought out and excellently written. This one also has one of my favorite characters ever being Rakushun.

The ending was under-whelming, but I'll forgive it for being so great all the way up until then.

7. GunGrave

Now this was a real surprise for me. I just thought it would be a shoot-em-up kind of anime with no real plot or substance but man, was I wrong. Amazing character development, and the rise and fall of them. I just wish I skipped the first episode. Such memorable characters all-around from Brandon Heat, to Harry MacDowel and Big Daddy. You cheer for their success, and cry for their tragedy. It's just amazing the picture they paint of the mafia world where you can sympathize with them even though they are technically "bad guys". I will always remember the scene of a mob boss crying over the mistake his son made, and let him go, sacrificing himself to the family and crying..."eddiiiieee!"

6. Fullmoon Wo Sagashite

Man, I cried so hard during this one. Not a fan of real poppy songs, but I loved the soundtrack for this one for some reason. Very cute characters, but characters with substance, even Mero who really proves her worth at one point. It's hard to really put into words what I'm thinking about this particular one. It's been about 2 years since I've seen it but I know that I love it.

5. Touch

Like I said before, a big fan of sports anime (and of baseball itself), and this one surpasses all the others. I couldn't believe what happened at one point (if you've seen it you will know what I mean). It just didn't seem real. It stuck with me for days and days after it. Again, wonderful character developement, and just a real touching story. Even though it's a little old, the soundtrack I enjoyed very much also, especially that beach boy's-esque "my girl", lol. I could go on and on about this one but it would probably spoil it for those who haven't seen it. If you haven't seen it, make this the next one you watch.

4. Haibane Renmei

The art is amazingly beautiful, simple characters on the surface but with their own complexities beneath. It took me a little while after watching it to get it, but I believe I did, and haven't found a hole with my theory yet. Once I figured it out I gave it a high rating because it was such a beautiful way to do it, without being preachy or high and mighty.

3. Monster

One of the most intelligent, and brilliantly worked out animes I've seen. An amazing villain that gave me the creeps whenever i saw him, but then made me wonder at the end. At times very creepy without even trying to hard. It didn't need a drooling, red eyed, monster with fangs. An amazing cast of characters all around. Detective Lungen ended up being one of my favorite characters of all-time. Truly a masterpiece.

2. Maison Ikkoku

Rumiko Takahashi at her very best. Forget Ranma 1/2, forget Inu Yasha. This is anime romance at it's best, and some of the funniest works she's done at times to, in particular the egg episode. Kyoko is my favorite female lead ever. Strong when she needs to be, but at times so fragile that the wind could blow her over. Sweet and kind, but can get pretty upset at times also. Doesn't like to be played around with. This is the anime that other romance titles try to be. But what really made this anime for me, is it being the most satisfying ending ever in any anime for me. An ending can make or break a series, and this one made it all worthwhile.

1. Neon Genesis Evangelion

First anime I bought on dvd, so it holds a special place with me. Some think the characters are iritating, but Shinji Ikari is my favorite character of all time. I'm not really a fan of mecha series, so even despite that it's my favorite. The religious overtones peak my curiosity. I've watched it about 4 times, though I try to hold off on it because like with my favorite band (nine inch nails) I don't want to listen to them too often so i overplay it. I found it to be very inspirational in my writing as well.

I liked both endings. The one for the TV, and the movie. I think I like the tv ending more, but just by a little. They aren't endings that are just...ok they mean this. You take your own meaning out of it. Or at least I have.

People say RahXephon is better...but I have RahXephon on my worst anime list...

Honorable Mentions for Top 10

- Now and then, Here and there
Depending on my mood it sometimes replaces Ippo at number 10.

- One Piece
Most likely when the anime ends it will be in my top 10. The most re-watchable anime I've seen.

- Rurouni Kenshin
- Hunter X Hunter
- Paranoia Agent

Top 5 worst anime

Note: I don't include 30-45 minute ova's like Kimera, only series that are at least 10 episodes. Also only ones I took seriously and saw subtitiled. So no pokemon, digimon, random crap on tv.

5. Lunar Legend Tsukihime

- It was alright. I usually like a lot of anime I watch so this list is sort of hard. I had to go through the list of all I've seen and decided on this one. Sort of lame, though I'm not unhappy I saw it. I'm just glad it's over.

4. Tokyo Underground

- I didn't hate it, it just felt like it had no real substance. I think it could have been better than what it was, because I believe it had potential. The characters were sort of lame, and seemed like copies of others.

3. Dragon Drive

Pretty boring. Reminded me of a better version of pokemon basically. Just seemed like a story i've heard before. Like I mentioned before, I don't really like it when the main character gets sent to another world. Juuni Kokki did it right, Dragon Drive didn't.

2. This Ugly and Beautiful World

- Bleh. Now we are getting into those I hated. Someone said this was supposed to be NGE-esque but I don't see it. Just random kid that gets powers and...bleh i don't want to remember it. The only positive being it was a little artistic. I forced myself to sit through all twelve episodes.

1. RahXephon

- I tried to like it. I really did. Everyone said it was a better Evangelion. Really? I was more confused by RahXephon than I was ever during Eva. I didn't get, nor like, the use of music or whatever they were doing. There was nothing I liked. It just seemed to me people hated Eva so they decided to like this one to spite Eva fans.

Dishonorable mentions

- Scrapped Princess
- Texhnolyze
- Tactics
- Zettai Shonen
Calculusman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:49 am Reply with quote
Alright, I'll throw my hat in...

I've watched around 20 series or so, so I'm still a newb. However, based on what I have seen:

Favorites

1. Chobits
Let's start off with a CLAMP series, because my list will be full of them. This was the 2nd series I've seen, and I thought it was hilarious. Perhaps being someone into computers myself, that made me get more into it, and (sadly perhaps) I could identify with Hideki's character.

2. The Place Promised in our Early Days
I'll be honest. I still haven't pinned down why I like this movie. I just....do. Maybe its the whole romance/sci-fi twist thing. I don't know.

3. DNA2
Ok, this is my guilty pleasure because it is the first series I ever watched while actually being aware that it was anime. If I had watched this and thought it sucked, I probably wouldn't have bothered watching anything else. However, I thought the trials and tribulations of Junta (with Karin trying to help, but not being very successful at it) was hilarious. A little old - 1994 when it was released - but still good.

4. Kimi ga Nozomu Eien (or Rumbling Hearts)
Ok, a little soap opera-ish (a little?!), but the idea of what do you do when the person you love falls into a coma and may never wake back up intrigued me, and then what do you do when hey wake up but you've moved on.

5. Angelic Layer
This was a series which I actually didn't have much hope for when I started it. I didn't realize it was a CLAMP series when I started it, and the full title of "Battle Doll Angelic Layer" made me wonder what the heck type of show it was. However, I was pleasently surprised by how balanced the "fighting" and the story was portrayed in the series. And while what happens is somewhat predictable, it was still compelling to watch.

6. Last Exile
Quite a different anime from the others I had seen to that point, I immediately got latched onto the fantasy world portrayed in this series. Also, gotta love the bagpipes.

Some series which will probably be added to the list once I finish them:

Ah! My Goddess (TV)
Cardcaptor Sakura
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Least Favorites (from bad to worst)

Ok, until the last two, these aren't really that bad - but only because I've managed to avoid any really terrible anime up to this point.

1. His and Her Circumstances
Ok, this series started out ok, and then went downhill until it became a mess of a series which didn't seem to know where it wanted to go. I just got flat bored by the time it was over.

2. Oh! My Goddess (OVA)
It's not that I don't like the franchise or the idea of the series - see the fact that I like the TV series above. However, this series was too short. Five episodes just doesn't do a franchise like Ah! My Goddess credit.

3. Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventures
Ok, again not terrible, but his anime just didn't peak my interest at all.

4. Love Hina
Ok, I was really annoyed by this series for some reason. Perhaps I don't like the style where the main guy gets punched and then goes flying for miles (ok, my suspension of disbelief doesn't go that far).

5. Girls Bravo
Ok, this series was nothing more than a few DVDs filled with gratuitous fan service. I guess if all you care about are large bouncing boobs, then you'll like this series. If you actually are about minor details like - a story - well...
Kidder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Calculusman wrote:

2. Oh! My Goddess (OVA)
It's not that I don't like the franchise or the idea of the series - see the fact that I like the TV series above. However, this series was too short. Five episodes just doesn't do a franchise like Ah! My Goddess credit.

You should probably note that the Oh! My Goddess OVA was produced loooong before the Ah! My Goddess TV series was made. The TV series is sort of an extended remake of the original OVA to include more characters and be a more light-hearted comedy. So technically, Oh! My Goddess was the beginning of the franchise. They made the TV series because the OVA and manga proved to be very popular.
Niceguy9418

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm new and don't have 15, or even 10 to post about about, but here are my fav's an what I like about them

#6 Negima - I know this one has taken a lot of heat, not as good as the manga etc... I haven't read any manga, so I woudln't know. But I really respect it's ambition. (31 female charecters? Akamatsu-san, you are INSANE!) Plus I'm a big Harry Potter fan (flame, flame) and this has a lot of the same themes, and plot devices, just with some role reversal and age ajustment. (And 31 cute girls thrown in.) But because of the age of the charecters, it can't really fall into the same tired stereotypes of a harem comedy - yet it's full of risque humor anyway! (And so truly moving moments as well.)

#5 Love Hina - I know it's little more than harem anime, but it's kind of become the standard, and that's because it does a good job with an otherwise tired genre. The chrecters may be stock, but there's something in all of them that we can either admire or relate to, and there been a bit of Keitaro in every male I've ever been friends with, as well as myself! What makes it great is the irony - it's a farce that's takes being a farce seriously! And by the end of the sries, it really is quite romantic. (Plus my future wife bloodied my nose on one of our first pre-dating outings, so I know the Naru-Punch well!)

#4 Oh My Goddess - BEST WISH EVER! (sorry)

#3 Chobits - Much like FMA (see below) I love how they explore the nature of humanity, what it means to be "human" also the nature/purpose of love and relationships. Very deep themes, especially for a story that starts out as little more than romantic comedy. (Love all the internet porn humor though!)

#2 Kare Kano - All I can say is IMO this is the best anime that almost no one watched. There is nothing stock about any of the charecters. By the "end" they are all fully fleshed out, and there is something in each one that you can relate to. It captures all of the joy and heartbreak of growing up, falling in love, relationships, self-actualization... It's every 1980's John Hughes movie, without being so cheesy! If only they didn't end it right in the mddle of the story! (The few people who did see this are absolutely crazy about it and rightfully so. Absolutley amazing chareter development, funny (without re-using the same, tired, old jokes as other romantic comedies) and at times profoundly moving.

#1 Full Metal Alchemist - What really makes this one stand out to me if the incredible breadth of social, philosophic and political commenatry and depth of the debate that goes on throught the series. I mean, it's a great story, every last one of the charecters is fully developed and unique, plenty of action, humor, etc... but they really expolre deep questions such as the nature of humanity, exsistance, what constitues life or a soul, what he role of the military in society should be, and the constant theme of equivalent exchange - that you have to give something in order to get something back. So many profound concepts are explored, with so many important implications for the "real" world that we live in.

Well, anyway that's what I like!

Haven't yet found any I really don't like - at worst, if it doesn't interest me, I don't watch. So there's not much I can say about it!
Kidder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:40 am Reply with quote
yusuke1022 wrote:
Kidder wrote:
yusuke1022 wrote:

Boondocks- this isnt even an anime and its not even funny it plain sucks.

so... you know it's not anime, it never claimed to be anime, yet you put it as one of your least favourite animes?
yea thanks for being the guy to point the mistake out. i meant its an anime but its really not and it doesnt deserve to be one and it sucks

....but it's not anime >.< .... unless you mean it's animated and therefore is anime

oh lord I hope we don't start arguing about the definition of "anime".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 36 of 122