• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Top 10 / Worst 5 things. Why? (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:30 pm Reply with quote
I posted one back in April, but the titles on that one I chose somewhat impulsively. Out of a lack of better things to do, I'll post a list of my favorite titles of 2006. I don't really have any least favorites from this year (or at least, if the first episode bored me to death I would be very reluctant to watch on, and therefore, I wouldn't have much to say anyway. Let's just say that were I to have a Bottom 5, Gundoh Musashi would be #1...).

Top 10 (Actually in order)

10. Happiness!

To my surprise and probably others' as well, this actually made it onto my list. I labelled this as "mediocre if not for Jun" after watching the first episode, and I was kind of right. However, even without Jun, this series is entertaining enough by itself to keep me interested. It seems like one of those incredibly cliche and predictable ones, but I actually found that I was more wrong guessing what would happen here than I was for Tokimeki Memorial, which I guess makes it not that predictable after all. The characters are for the most part pretty entertaining to watch; Jun is just Cool whenever "she" appears on screen, Hachi is really funny whenever he does or says his incredibly stupid things or tries to put on this cool or smart act, Anri with all her failed magic spells, and of course Koyuki with her Tama-chans (btw, those Tama-chans are really cute!). The episodic plots aren't that entirely interesting, but the cast is all so loveable and the entire feel of the series upbeat and happy that this has landed a spot on my Top 10 List (of 2006).

9. Death Note

A great part of placing this as #9 and not higher is due to the fact that I've already read the manga already and therefore my enjoyment factor diminishes greatly. However, it is still a great watch. The animation, music, voice acting, and plot are all done very well and up to Madhouse's standards. It sticks VERY closely to the manga, which I would say is a good thing, and although producing a slightly darker tone than what I'd expect it to be, an overall great aesthetics and proper pacing has made the Death Note anime something worth watching. Plus, I squeak in OMG ITS AYA fanboy delight whenever Misa talks (although she's said no more than 5 lines total so far.

8. Tokimeki Memorial ~Only Love~

Eh, I guess I'll write something different than what I wrote in a thread I just made about this series.

Basically, the three girls the main protagonists could end up with are all awesome, especially in their character designs. One of them is average and bland in personality (waiting for her to break down, don't care if it's a cliche), but the other two keep me really interested in the series. One of them, Tsukasa (in my avatar), is a very sporty girl who looks like she'd be one of those tsundere tough-to-get violent girls, but turns out she is a slight bit empty-headed, naive, and much nicer than she looks (acts a lot like Ayu except not as moe and less empty-headed). The other one, Mina, looks moe but is actually pretty darned bold, and doesn't talk much but is not nearly as shy as she looks. The animation for this series is overall not wonderful, but I really like the character designs and that adds greatly to my enjoyment of this series. Plus, it's funny as hell with all the random things going on (people popping out of nowhere, chickens popping out of nowhere, random interjections, etc.). Overall, somewhat crazy and very fun to watch.

7. Soukou no Strain

It was actually the thread darkchibi made here that started me on this series, and it's been one thrilling ride so far. I love how the series just doesn't screw around one bit and gets straight to the point. Things happen at a lightning pace and the heroine Sara is thrown into different situations at the blink of an eye. The cast besides Sara is kind of boring (good for shoujo-ai fanservice action and some mild comical relief but that's about it), but the plot is so intriguing that it's been a really interesting watch. Basically, the series throws piles of events at you at once and then slows down significantly with not much happening and a melancholy atmosphere due to the events that just occured even though the mood is supposed to be lively, and kind of repeats again. Sara herself is a very interesting character. Even though she never talks to other people, the way she is handling her tough situation and her private aspirations easily make her the best character in the series. Halfway through the series, all kinds of crazy stuff has already happened but I still don't know just what's going on, and that makes it all the more exciting.

6. Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Not much to say here, as I'm sure it's apparent why I or anyone would enjoy this incredible series that has taken anime fans everywhere by storm. Amazing KyoAni animation, wonderful soundtrack, AMAZING seiyuu, interesting characters, and of course a plot that can be taken however you want to. You can enjoy Haruhi solely for comedy and maybe a bit of light hints at romance, you can enjoy Haruhi as a slice-of-life watching the SOS-Dan going around just having a good time, and you can also enjoy the intricacy and complications that the plot brings. I also happened to dedicate a long rant to discussing my views on the brilliant air order of the series. And good luck, ASOS-Dan!

5. Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni

As brilliant as Haruhi, but in completely different ways. I like this series for many reasons, the first being the unique organisation and setup of the series. The plot is convoluted, confusing, and mind-boggling, making it all the more fun to figure out all the mysteries of the series. The change between "happy" and "evil" expressions in the girls are done very well thanks to the big eyes of the character designs. Characters are all incredibly cute in their own regard when they're not psycho, backed with cute character designs and great seiyuu work. Though, the most interesting thing about the series is definitely the plot, which is so intruiging and interesting that you can't help but keep watching. And watching. And watching. And watching....

4. REC

It was really short (only 9 half-length episodes), but really sweet and an enjoyable watch. Aka's voice was done incredibly well, and it was really cool how in the series she is an aspiring seiyuu with an amazing talent, and her seiyuu just happens to be one too! (In fact, I think Kanako Sakai's debut role is as Aka). Aka is just about one of my favorite characters in any series now. She is great at acting tough and acting cool (it's her job afterall), but when it all comes down to it, she's a shy slightly-naive girl with a big heart. The romance is done tastefully with realistic ups and downs and the animation, music, sound, etc. were all good. Shaft! did a great job with this short little series and it is no surprise that they were the ones chosen to make the new Negima!

3. Nana

The series so wonderfully immersive and addicting that I watched all 29-then available episodes in one sitting. The characters are all incredibly realistic (I know, I know, I've been saying that way too many times). Great animation from Madhouse/great music (especially the insert songs and ALL of the OP and EDs)/great sounds/great seiyuu etc. Plot is just so amazingly well done that I just couldn't stop watching. Just about all the characters go through painstakingly realistic suffering and experience the world at their lows, and it was just great to see most of them encounter problems and then getting out of them. Both Nana's in the series are just great characters to follow. Nana Ozaki is responsible and tough-seeming but is actually pretty fragile in the inside. Nana Komatsu is the complete opposite and is naive, slightly immature and hyper. Both encounter similar problems though and it was just great to watch how they dealt with similar problems in entirely different ways. Plus it just takes twists and turns everywhere with false hopes for happiness everywhere and absolutely crazy things happening out of the blue that you would never expect happening. An amazing series overall.

2. Code Geass

Sunrise + CLAMP + Mecha series sounds laughable, but it actually works. My friend said that this series "does everything right", and I tend to agree with him. There's light, happy, comedical moments with Lelouche (main character) and his friends doing all sorts of silly things. There's attractive tsundere C.C. showing up randomly in all sorts of different outfits, from snow gear to swimsuits. There's great mecha action brought to life by wonderful animation and sounds. There's an amazing cast of characters: Lelouche holding onto his ideal and striving to achieve it while not casting others aside to do it, gentle Suzaku who wishes to change the world through peaceful means, Karen who holds a double identity as a shy student and a terrorist, Shirley who kind of looks like Orihime but isn't nearly as annoying, Lloyd the mysterious researcher person who seems super evil but is most likely a pretty good guy, Euphie who is super-cute and may be part of a romance side-storyline later on in the series, and of course, hyperactive Student Council President Milly Ashford. The plotline happens to be crazily addictive with Lelouche's smarts defeating the Britannian armies. And of course, who can forget, Pizza Hut supports the Rebellion!

1. Kanon 2006

As a huge fan of both the game and the first series, I'm probably biased on this one, but this KyoAni remake has been amazing so far. They're really blending every girl's storyline in a respectable manner and every transition is incredibly smooth. KyoAni pays incredible attention to detail and captures the most subtle details to further the foreshadowing and the plot. Every girl is even more cute than before, with modern character designs, less airheadedness, and a new take on the voice acting (although with most of the same seiyuu). The first incredibly impactful moment of the series has been captured beautifully, and I imagine the ones later will be even better. And of course, KyoAni's amazing animation and decision to keep the original soundtrack helps further the relaxed feel of the snow-setting even further. Not that much more to say; I enjoy the Kanon storyline and characters immensely, and aside from slightly rushing through the very first scene, KyoAni is doing everything right, and really making Kanon amazing. Favorite series of the year.
philg

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:26 pm Reply with quote
1] RahXephon - I know it showed a bit too many NGE characteristics but I honestly think this is the best anime I have seen. I judge an anime's strength on how well I remember it, and RahXephon is simply unforgettable. It can be read on so many different levels and is a mixture of philosophy, religion, romance, action and politics. Not only is the plot fantastic, the characterisation is (once again) unforgettable and the art is beautiful.

2] Haibane-Renmei - This series tackles topics which I haven't really seen in many quality anime. I think the reason I liked this series so much was that it taught me things and I could easily relate to the characters and situations. I loved what the opening post said about the significane of anime being realistic to a certain degree. Haibane-Renmei was pretty much unique in every aspect and breathtaking.

3] Azumangah Daioh - This series actually made me quite sad. Sad because the most I had ever laughed in my life was at a Japanese cartoon character with cute piggytails (isn't it sad..) Rolling Eyes . I don't know what to say about Azumangah. I know that most people won't have this obscure affection for this series but I'd rather watch Azumangah Daioh over and over again than start a new series which I know isn't a comedy. I just think this series is a brilliant investment to occupy someone who is too caught up in the troubles of everyday life. If you're just fed up with everything or you're stressed out by the world - this series reminds you that there are more "important" things to think about... such as the quality of the yawn you just made.

4] Perfect Blue - I think this movie is a bit too good. I watched it and was completely surprised at how complex it is and how unique an anime it is. It shouldn't be an anime because it stands out from the rest and has such great potential to capture people who have never even heard of anime. If I could choose one anime to show my grandparents, or someone completely new to the concept of over13 cartoons, it would be Perfect Blue.

5] Hunter X Hunter - Okay okay, it gets very cheesey in some parts and probably influenced many of the lame and childish anime around now such as Naruto, Pokemon and Dragonball Z (to name a few..), but I really liked the excitement. There was something in this series which I haven't experienced in others. Was it the enthusiasm of the voice actors? Or the cute script? Whatever it was, it captures the classic adventure story and excitement which grabbed me almost instantly.

This list changes all the time, apparently at the moment I seem to enjoy fun and thrilling anime rather than soppy or brutal anime. *Meh* I don't have such a wide database of anime as most of you so the above anime are my favourites for each of their categories.

I also loved Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Spriggan, Akira, Peach Girl (time to get in touch with my feminine side), Paranoia Agent and Berserk.
Eruanna

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:29 am Reply with quote
Hmn, my top favourites are an oddball mix.

1 - Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo
The entire show blew me away. I love the novel its based on, so when I saw this sitting on the shelf I knew I had to check it out. After that I was hooked. The character development is great, the portayal of the count is awsome, and lets face it: The art is breathtaking. Im always all for anything artisticly experimental or "outside the box" and this one was amazing.

2 - Digimon Adventure
Well yeah I know that some, okay most, people dont really consider this a "serious anime" and they are probably right. It is aimed at kids, sure. But I still love it. Im not even certain why. It wasnt the first anime I was introduced to. That would probably be The Little Prince. It wasnt the first anime I was ever seriously into. That would be Pokemon. But when I got into Digimon it quickly surpased Pokemon, and Iv loved it ever since. The first series is still my favourite, with the second close behind. The rest of them are alright I guess, but they dont really have the same magic that Digimon Adventure and Digimon Zero Two had.

3 - Witch Hunter Robin
Dark, brooding, slow pased, thoughtfull, with memorable characters and a solid plot. Whats not to like? Well I guess the animation isnt really the greatest, but I adored this show. The entire atmosphere was well put together, and the score was great. The story was gripping, albiet slow moving, and its subtle way of drawing you into the web of conspiracy and intreig was spectacular.

4 - Full Metal Alchemist
Its no suprise that this show is so popular. Its got such a great depth to it. It deals with alot of hardcore issues like war, religion, the struggle for power, sentience, and life and death. Its ability to make you laugh and cry both in the same span of 30 mins is astounding. The characters are well rounded and portrayed perfectly, and the artwork is pretty well done too.

5 - Violinist of Hamelin
Hard choice since my list has a few more then five and they all tie really except for the top three spots. Violinist of Hamelin is another series that not many people liked.
But I loved it. It was dark, depressing, and the animation was terrible. But I thought it had alot of hidden depth that most people didn't stop to explore. Its primary theme throughought the entire ordeal was revenge. And how the need for revenge effected the various characters. Watching these characters was heart wrenching. The ability of this show to convey emotion was amazing.

And my LEAST favourites...

1 - The Twelve Kingdoms
I must be the only one on the planet who didn't like this show. I hated it. Mostly because all of the main characters were whiney little idiots. I couldnt stand them, and I didn't give a crap what happened to them.

2 - Night Warriors - Darkstalkers' Revenge
Lamest plot and the flatest characters I have ever seen. That really should be enough said.

3 - Basilisk
This was painfull to watch. I picked up the DVD and when the first episode was over I was all like "Oh my word... I have to watch three more episodes of this...? Sad "
It was pretty dumb, senceless violence, corny dialoge and flat flat characters. Great artwork though.. Ill give it that.

4 - Key the Metal Idol
Eh, this anime moved waay too slow, and had waay too much meaningless fanservice. It could hav ebeen good except that it just wasnt gripping enough. I dunno, I found it boring.

5 - Victorian Romance Emma
This show was pretty good untill the last episode.
spoiler[They didn't get together. Normally I dont make too much of a fuss about my favoured pairings not getting together, but the entire POINT of this show was her love affair with William. Why on earth one would want to watch a show about an impossible love that didn't work out is beyond me. Real life has enough of that already, thanks.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Himemiya

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:31 pm Reply with quote
I didn't really do a review of the anime, so if you'd like more info on it, check the encyclopedia Very Happy

--

Favorite Anime (this week) in no order (Not counting the usual: Naruto, Bleach, FMA, Trigun, etc)

Shoujo Kakumei Utena
Utena is my all-time favorite series EVAR. I used to idolize Anthy Himemiya (hence the username). I mean, my god, girls kicking butt. And roses. And romance and drama and confusing symbolism! Love.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Haruhi is my idol. I want to make my own club, steal random people in the hallways, threaten computer clubs into giving me computers. I want to be able to do EVERYTHING. My main complaint with the anime is that there isn't enough HARUHI. It's shown through Kyon's eyes, and gives history of all the other members - which is cool and all, but it's a short series! We didn't get to see enough of Haruhi's history!!

Ikkitousen
Okay, okay, hear me out on this one. The fanservice can be a bit much at times (lots of times). The anime changes a few parts from the manga for it to make sense as a short series (12 eps), which is understandable. My main reason for loving the series is that the girls are kicking butt, breaking bones, getting hurt themselves, putting everything on the line... but NOT for some boy. There's no magical-girl transformations, nobody to take care of, they're fighting for themselves. Which, at the time, was one of the first anime I'd seen that did that. I'm in love with the characters, and it's so funny. Also, there's a new season coming out! Yay!

Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien (Rumbling Hearts)
Do *not* watch this if you don't like shoujo. Do *not* watch this if you don't like romance dramas. You will *hate* it. It's one of the most shoujo-drama-romance shows in the entire UNIVERSE. It's tear-jerking, and you want to just yell at the screen sometimes. It's awesome. And why does everyone hate the ending?! I like the ending!!!

Air
Also very-very-very shoujo, also has some romance, but is also just an awesome story. It has historical elements (moreso in the movie) and tells a tear-jerking story. If you watch this series or the movie and don't cry, something is wrong with your tearducts.

Nana
A new favorite. Blame 'Shojo Beat'. This anime is the definition of shoujo.

Maria-sama ga Miteru
Girls-school drama, with elegance and beauty and sisterly bonds, and the occasional yuri-hints. What's not to love?

Death Note
A new favorite. My new weekly thing is to download Death Note while eating an apple. I guess the goth-theme evens out all the girly crap I watch?

Lemon Angel Project
NO ONE KNOWS THIS ANIME, and although the series ended a while ago, it was never subbed past episode 7. I love Jpop and girl groups and stuff, and this show is all that PLUS a secret drama going on at the record label, PLUS it's in the future! The original group 'Lemon Angel Project' were only holograms, only a computer program! And the programmer was a high-school girl, which is awesome.

Escaflowne
A lot of 'newer' anime fans never saw this. It's a classic that everyone should see. The computer and animation effects are amazing for 1997/98 (whenever it came out, I forget). Don't judge the series by the movie! The movie basically took all the good stuff out of the show and added more fight scenes O.o And Hitomi is just a whiny suicidal girl in the movie. She's much stronger in the anime.

--

Bottom of the list anime (Mostly the shoujo stuff, because that's mostly all I watch.)

Tenjou Tenge
I don't know why! I should love this! It's so much like Ikkitousen! Maybe it's *too* much like Ikkitousen, and I feel like they compete sometimes. O.o

Moon Phase
The first episode had so much promise. Then it went straight downhill with the "living in the boys house, omigod sexual tension" crap.

Petit Cossette
HATE. Why did people love this so much? Because it was "lolita"? It FAILED at symbolism. It was trying too hard to be bad*ss. FAIL.

Negima!
I wanted to like this, I really did. I just... couldn't stand it. Apparently the author of the manga also hated that one, and the NEW one ('Negima?!') is supposedly a much better adaptation.

Mech/Card-game/sports/major violence themed stuff. I like some of it, but ... mostly, if it's based around those, I'm not going to care about it.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:07 am Reply with quote
Himemiya wrote:

Do *not* watch this if you don't like shoujo. Do *not* watch this if you don't like romance dramas. You will *hate* it. It's one of the most shoujo-drama-romance shows in the entire UNIVERSE. It's tear-jerking, and you want to just yell at the screen sometimes. It's awesome. And why does everyone hate the ending?! I like the ending!!!

Air
Also very-very-very shoujo, also has some romance, but is also just an awesome story. It has historical elements (moreso in the movie) and tells a tear-jerking story. If you watch this series or the movie and don't cry, something is wrong with your tearducts.

I wouldn't call either shoujo. They are both adapted from visual novel aimed at the seinen demographic, and although are somewhat romance/slice-of-life, are still primarily aimed at men.

Nana definitely IS shoujo though.
Himemiya

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:06 am Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
Himemiya wrote:

Air

I wouldn't call either shoujo. They are both adapted from visual novel aimed at the seinen demographic, and although are somewhat romance/slice-of-life, are still primarily aimed at men.

Nana definitely IS shoujo though.

I dunno, I haven't met any non-shoujo-fans that like it so far :/
Souppy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:29 am Reply with quote
I'm a bit noob in anime and I haven't watched enough of it to make a top10 but I can easily do a top 5 and a worst 3. (I'm also a bit picky so there are more than 5 animes that I didn't like)

FAVORITES

5. Mai-Hime

That anime surprised me. College girls, secret powers, avatar-like allies, avatar monsters and multiples vilains. This serie is just plain fun to watch. You don't have to always think about what will happen next. It's a really soft anime with action of course but not too much.

4. .hack//SIGN

Certainly not the best story of the best graphics, but I liked the main idea of it. This anime surprised me because of its context. People playing a MMORPG and the story happens in-game. The whole relation between in-game and reality is amazingly executed. Characters are talking to each other about the game and suddenly one asks the other how old he is in real-life... it's confusing at the beginning but being a MMORPG fan myself, I got used to it and felt concerned about the relation between characters 'cause it's exactly how it really is in that type of game.

3. Bleach

Japanese Justice League? I'm just kidding but this anime is well worth it. I won't talk about it because some people explained it in other posts. A must-see anime.

2. Full Metal Alchemist

No wonder why it is consider as one of the best anime series in this decade. If a recipe would exist on how to ''cook'' an anime, FMA staff definitely used it. Sometimes funny, sometimes dramatic, sometimes action-packed... slow start, magic-like world, non-stop action for the last quarter of the serie, mind-twisting at times... Full Metal Alchemist is the full package.

1. Neon Genesis Evangelion

Have you ever heard of this serie? I guess you did because it's a classic. Great storyline. Colorful characters. Psyche-confusing end (if you don't take the movies in consideration). It was also the first anime serie I watched so it's a bit sentimental for me.

WORST

1. Eureka 7

Surfing in the sky with giant mechs? First, I must say that I hate mech-like anime. Second, I'm not a skate/surf fan. Third, how do you want me to like Eureka 7? Maybe it's not a bad serie, but mech doing surf in the sky... I still can't get pass that idea. I'm sorry...

2. Naruto

I just can't stand it. I don't like the graphics and the battles. I just hate the never-ending battles where the characters are still up and fighting in animes. Naruto is definitely one of this type.

3. DragonBall

Same reasons than Naruto's with a small exception: it's a classic. DragonBall got a lot of people all around the globe like anime over all those years. As an anime, I don't like it but the manga serie can't be ignored. That's why DragonBall isn't first.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:25 am Reply with quote
Souppy wrote:
College girls,

High school & middle school, actually.

Souppy wrote:
serie

The singular form of "series" is still "series."

Souppy wrote:
1. Eureka 7

Surfing in the sky with giant mechs? First, I must say that I hate mech-like anime. Second, I'm not a skate/surf fan. Third, how do you want me to like Eureka 7? Maybe it's not a bad serie, but mech doing surf in the sky... I still can't get pass that idea. I'm sorry...

You liked Evangelion despite it having mechs with a gimmick (lol bleeding manbots), so I don't quite see your gripe with Eureka Seven. Both shows put the mechs in the background in favor of rich, full character development, and in many respects Eureka Seven even does it better than Evangelion. It's pretty weird that you despise one for gimmicky robots and not the other, especially when the robots aren't the focus of these shows in the least.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
moondoggie84

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:02 pm Reply with quote
haha Nagisa i was thinking about the same thing with his post
top 5:

1. Eureka Seven
It kinda bothers me people wont give this a chance because of the surfing Mecha, i have no clue why its such a big deal. Oh well this is my all time favorite fell in love with it from the 1st episode and it just kept getting better and never disappointed even the last episode was really good and thats rare to see. To me tho the anime hit its peak at ep 26 that made the series for me such an awesome epiosde.

2. Full Metal Alchemist
1st time i ever watched an anime that really didn't deal with super humans going all out fighting. I was really surprised but i really liked the whole govt conspiracy stuff and the bonds of the brothers throughout their journey. Tho I didn't care for the series and the movie endings.

3. Bleach
This is the type of anime i watched to begin with so i naturally liked this. Even the 60 some fillers we have been watching are good not like the pointless filler crap naruto has been playing.

4. Inuyasha
It gets annoying at some points but i like the story and the character development especially with Sesshomoru.

5. DragonBall Z (Up to Cell games)
Eh it makes my list since it was my 1st anime and got me hooked, but i only like it up to cell games it had the perfect ending and developed gohan really well to be the hero of earth. After cell games tho it really went downhill fast.
wicked_albel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:20 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Himemiya wrote:

i hated it and still i loved it...
i think thats how its supposed to be
Souppy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Souppy wrote:
1. Eureka 7

You liked Evangelion despite it having mechs with a gimmick (lol bleeding manbots), so I don't quite see your gripe with Eureka Seven. Both shows put the mechs in the background in favor of rich, full character development, and in many respects Eureka Seven even does it better than Evangelion. It's pretty weird that you despise one for gimmicky robots and not the other, especially when the robots aren't the focus of these shows in the least.

First, I must say that I'm not bilingual and I'm sorry for my ''vocabulary mistakes'' (trying to translate the best I can). And you're right about the similarities between Evangelion and Eureka 7. It's just personal about Eureka 7 just like it is for Naruto and Dragonball on my hate list. The important statement was : I still can't get pass that idea (surfing mechs). Even if it is the best anime ever made, I would still hate it because of the surfing mechs... just like I hate Naruto and Dragonball for their neverending battles. The focus in Eureka 7 might not be the mechs but after watching some episodes, I couldn't appreciate the series because of this. Mechs, I could get over it... surfing mechs was too much for me...

Souppy wrote:
1. Neon Genesis Evangelion

Have you ever heard of this serie? I guess you did because it's a classic. Great storyline. Colorful characters. Psyche-confusing end (if you don't take the movies in consideration). It was also the first anime serie I watched so it's a bit sentimental for me.

If I would have seen Evangelion this week instead of being the first anime I watched, maybe I would hate it. Like I said, it's sentimental for me.

(Sorry for my English again)
BlooDrAgOn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Souppy wrote:

First, I must say that I'm not bilingual and I'm sorry for my ''vocabulary mistakes'' (trying to translate the best I can). And you're right about the similarities between Evangelion and Eureka 7. It's just personal about Eureka 7 just like it is for Naruto and Dragonball on my hate list. The important statement was : I still can't get pass that idea (surfing mechs). Even if it is the best anime ever made, I would still hate it because of the surfing mechs... just like I hate Naruto and Dragonball for their neverending battles. The focus in Eureka 7 might not be the mechs but after watching some episodes, I couldn't appreciate the series because of this. Mechs, I could get over it... surfing mechs was too much for me...

Mechs surfing? Are you an idiot. It's the creator's way of saying "we aren't going with the cliched jet packs and wings crap." It has originality. And I don't know how you can hate Naruto and DB if you can't stand originality. If you can't stand anime just because of one single piece of uniqueness you should just stop watching anime all together.

Eureka 7 is just like Naruto??? Have you realized the romance in this anime? It's not like that crap with Naruto and Sakura, or Gohan and Piccolo Confused...This is definetly the first mech anime to pull of the romance gist without doing some high school drama (FMP, even though I like FMP) Saying Eureka 7 is like Naruto is like saying FMA is like Naruto. How this E7 goes against racial descrimination just like FMA with the Ishbals. The characters also go through the same psycological effects of killing, just like the characters in Evangelion.

And Evangelion wasn't too great IMO. It felt as if there was all this tension building and bulding and building up, and they give you an ending like that. I gave Eva a Very Good, but EoE, that was a true Masterpiece. Your views on anime make me want to say "kimochi warui."
Drowning_Wolf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:42 pm Reply with quote
aa

Last edited by Drowning_Wolf on Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
YuYuUrameshi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:19 pm Reply with quote
[Good job ignoring the rules. --Nagi]
deltavoyage

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Top 10 (in order)

10. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - And here we are at Number Ten. Mind you, GITS: SAC is not bad. It's just not my favorite. This anime has a very interesting story, especially concerning all of the technological upgrades 25 years from now. Because of this however, it can be very hard to understand at times. Yoko Kanno again does an excellent job with the music, especially concerning the opening and ending themes. This show is definitely something that you should see.

9. Trinity Blood - What stands out in this show is the animation. Very eye-catching, it looks like beautiful paintings in motion. Trinity Blood also houses some of the coolest action sequences I've even seen. I mean, it's just freaking awesome when Gunslinger drops down into a completely dark room and kills about 15 vampires with two guns. Sweet. Coupled with decent dub work and a very interesting back story, this anime is one that you should definitely see.

8. Last Exile - A work of art. Seamlessly blended traditional animation and CGI create the most exquisite animation I've ever seen. Watch it just for the animation. You won't be disappointed. It is assuredly a great anime, with an intriuing story, really good dub voice actors, and some awesome flight scenes. Don't miss this eye candy.

7. Infinite Ryvius - Contrary to popular opinion, this anime is much more than Lord of the Flies meets Hunt for Red October. This anime provides a very interesting look at the human psyche and it is definitely the most thought-provoking anime I've seen. Keeping 500 minors on one spaceship for an extended period of time really allows for some interesting conflicts. It's not an action-packed anime, and the beginning is uninteresting, but it's worth the wait.

6. Eureka Seven - Another interesting one. The start of the series is extremely slow. I was ready to stop watching. At Episode 12, the show gets very interesting. By Episode 19, it's in full-swing with one of the most shocking scenes I've ever seen in an anime. With a unique animation style, music that perfectly emulates each and every scene, great dub work by Johnny Yong Bosch and Crispin Freeman, and a storyline that will keep your eyes glued to the screen, Eureka Seven is one of the best.

5. Wolf's Rain - I definitely go for the tragedies, don't I? Wolf's Rain is an anime chock-full of symbolism and hidden ideas. Quite thought-provoking, it is excellent. The music, composed exquisitely by Yoko Kanno, will bring tears to your eyes. A dark and brooding anime, it has exactly that kind of animation as well, perfectly emulating the storyline. Even though the show is quite sad, it is not to be missed.

4. FLCL - Definitely the weirdest anime I've ever seen. And I love it! At only six episodes long, FLCL redefines weird. Whatever you've seen that's weird, trust me, this is weirder. It took me at least twice watching through the series to understand it. But it's amazing. The unique storyline, the awesome music (love the pillows!), the excellent dub work, and the plain old weirdness work in perfect concert, creating a show that should be in anyone's collection.

2 (tie). Witch Hunter Robin - Witch Hunter Robin is creepy. There's no way around it. But it's really cool too. WHR is about an organization called the STN-J that hunts witches, with the main character being Robin. The first half of the series takes a "Monster of the Week" approach, and even though it can get a little annoying that there's no main plot, the side stories stay interesting. The second half of the series is where the action really kicks up a notch, providing one of the best animes ever.

2 (tie). FullMetal Alchemist - The reason this is tied at Number Two with WHR is because I don't know which is better. Most people know of FullMetal Alchemist. It is amazing. There is nothing I can complain about in this series. The dub voice actors are excellent, the animation is superb, the music is stunning (both instrumentally and vocally), and the storyline is truly engrossing. With very few side stories, FMA is a force to be reckoned with.

1. Gunslinger Girl - This show is without doubt the best anime I've ever seen. While the title implies an action-packed thriller, Gunslinger Girl is a heartbreaking tragedy revolving around five young girls who have been turned into assassins by the Italian government. With amazing instrumentals, great voice acting, eye-popping animation, and tragedy to make even the most jaded anime viewer shed tears, this show is a must.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 47 of 122