• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Best Buy to Change DVD Strategy

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rizuchan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Yay! My store's not on the list! I'm probably single-handedly responsible for that, lol.

Actually, this might to be my advantage. I only live 30 min away from Lawrence so I can go to their clearance sale.

But this still sucks, overall. With these stores first, it might be only a matter of time before it's all Best Buys, and I get at least half of my anime there. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:34 pm Reply with quote
I used local Best Buy's for the dwindling number of series I was collecting individual volumes for. I liked checking out the store from time to time, you never knew what kind of clearance stuff would show up. Luckily, the two stores within 7 miles of me, one is on the list, and one is not. So I get a sale at one and can still browse a full aisle at the other. Their rewards program that stacks on top of a credit card rewards program that gives you best buy gift cards as a bonus was a nice setup.

The comments by the Media Blaster's CEO are a little disturbing. I was wondering why the release date of volume 1 of Ah My Buddha slipped then suddenly appeared in Right Stuf's weekly sales.

An individual volume release for the series was probably a bad idea in the first place, and this news probably dooms it.
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Why don't they just sell there anime in Walmart. GAH I just don't get it? Everytime I go to walmart the anime they have there is always sold out. its easy to see that Walmart will seel more anime than best buy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Because Wal-Mart only carries stuff they know will move proven numbers of units...hence two series I have no interest in (DBZ, Naruto) being the only ones they carry
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:40 pm Reply with quote
evilnekohilda wrote:
Does anyone know approximately when the sales will start? :O It's a 2.5 hour drive to Lawrence, KS but I have friends there, so it could be worth it for the sales...

I'm not sure they're having a sale. I thought the article said they're cutting the Anime stocked, which could mean they're having a sale but also mean they're sending stuff back to the companies for refunds.

Looks to me like the store I visit when I can (Amarillo, Texas) and the Wichita, KS stores didn't get end up in the Top A category (Amarillo is actually closer to where I live in Kansas than Wichita is). Also, isn't there a Best Buy in Topeka, as well as Salina? I am sorry to see the Pueblo store got stuck on the list, though. It's been back up place to consider going when I was looking for Anime in the past, though with gas prices the way they've been in recent years I've not been able to justify driving out to Pueblo just to shop.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
Why don't they just sell there anime in Walmart. GAH I just don't get it? Everytime I go to walmart the anime they have there is always sold out. its easy to see that Walmart will seel more anime than best buy.

They would if they could but Wal Mart only buys select titles. As it is the Wal Mart I shop the most cut most of their DVD's out recently and now only have a small selection, along with a small selection of Blu Ray (which baffles me - I can understand cutting down/out the DVD's but why not replace them with something? As it is we have empty shelf space which is really weird for a Wally World Electronics department).
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Well, this sounds like better news than we've been expecting. It still isn't good but it could be a lot worse.

Glad to see Augusta, GA not on that list since that's the Best Buy I shop at when I buy from B&M. It sounds like in general DVD sales are more concentrated in some stores than others though so perhaps the real issue is just distribution in general. Promotion of online retailers will be key to helping the anime studios during this cut back.

I'm not surprised by Sirabella's comments on this since it probably means few if any MB titles will be in the stores. It won't be a cake walk for Bandai, ADV or Manga either. (Nozomi doesn't seem to have ever been all that concerned with mainstream success.) Still, the real issue is the need to improve the fluidity of distribution of products in general. We the fans have got to promote the top-quality online anime retailers to anyone who know who is an anime fan. That's the key to softening the shift from B&Ms back to smaller retailers.

Fans are the key to making everything work out. We need to buy and we need to promote. No one is going to buy the B and C list titles if no one convinces them to buy them or even lets them know they exist. Point people to legal streams, lend them your own DVDs and we will see things improve.
xia83

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Blaaaaaaaaah
The store that is literally five minutes from my house is on that list.

Well... they didn't have alot of anime to begin with.
OnanRulz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Shame about Edina, Minnesota, as that's where I normally go. I'd like to see a detailed list of the rest of the Twin Cities-area store so I know which ones are B- and C-lists.

Also, when do the discounts start?
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:46 pm Reply with quote
In my case, I stopped buying from Best Buy and went almost exclusively to Right Stuf precisely because Best Buy's selection was so limited where I live. Now there will be even less reason. My local store used to have both sides of an aisle filled with anime, and now it only has part of the aisle stocked. Sorry, but the prospect of having a handful of choices doesn't entice me. The prices are better at Right Stuf most of the time anyway.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:47 pm Reply with quote
evilnekohilda wrote:
Does anyone know approximately when the sales will start? :O It's a 2.5 hour drive to Lawrence, KS but I have friends there, so it could be worth it for the sales...

2008-03-01 to 2008-03-21, just added the dates to the article.
Animegeek86

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:51 pm Reply with quote
You have got to be kidding me. Temecula and Vacaville. Damn. Well at least fairfield is doing alright. Still cutting out the anime's in half. Are they crazy?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:52 pm Reply with quote
The store here probably only sells the "top 20", anyways. I might even see an INCREASE in anime with this restructure. Can't wait to hit up the sale...

And, yeah, sometimes cutting things is good for the business. Sales probably wont go down much, and then they don't have to deal with shipping/stocking/re-shipping stuff that doesn't sell. Did you know that leaving things on the shelf actually takes up time? They have people who have to physically count every item in the store every week. Now imagine if the store has (anime or not) around 100 DVDs that didn't sell just sitting on the shelf... See what I'm saying?
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Wow... I'm surprised neither store in San Francisco is on the list, really... I am... considering last time I went to the best buy, I saw that the self was extremely empty...

Last edited by Emma Iveli on Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
evilnekohilda

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:56 pm Reply with quote
MeggieMay wrote:
evilnekohilda wrote:

I'm not sure they're having a sale. I thought the article said they're cutting the Anime stocked, which could mean they're having a sale but also mean they're sending stuff back to the companies for refunds.

It said that the 461 stores cutting back will have sales, and I think there are only 400-some stores on the list, so I guess I'm just hoping lol.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 17