• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Best Buy to Change DVD Strategy

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spiked Vash

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:32 pm Reply with quote
I think I got a very good haul today as I went to the one in Pontiac, MI, with my bro. The two closest to me in Flint and Auburn Hills aren't offering the sale, but the Pontiac one had a full selection Smile. Got about $130 worth of anime, including some for my bro, and picked up Shana complete, Death Note boxset 1, Fruits Basket complete, Samurai 7 complete, Outlaw Star complete, and Naruto vol 32 (bro insisted due to the Naruto-Sasuke fight). At 50%, why not. There were a few anime shoppers with me. Definitely the most anime I ever bought at one time. Will definitely go back for more.
wooly mammoth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Can someone tell me if any stores in Maryland or Virginia are having this sale?
kylewasson

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:12 pm Reply with quote
wooly mammoth wrote:

http://boards.adultswim.com/adultswim/board/message?board.id=4&thread.id=2244598&jump=true

Here is the list - depending on where you live, there are 6 in Maryland and some stores mostly in Southern VA - not many in NoVA. Hope this helps you!
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:34 pm Reply with quote
nedmech wrote:
Unfortunately, stupid corporate idiots at Best-Buy doesn't consider Voltron as Anime. It was stocked in their Anime section, but rang up full price as "TV Series". Evil or Very Mad

What the workers at the local (Rochester, MI) Best Buy were telling me is that sku's that started with AN (look at the price tag to see the "AN" on it) counted as anime and should be subject to the discount.

Also, to the other poster who went to the Auburn Hills, MI store, they were having the sale going on there, only certain sku's were ringing up as being on sale. I picked up the limited edition of Ghost Slayers Ayashi there for $25.00.

Like I said before, make sure you take the time and talk nicely and intelligently to the staff, it's worth the effort to get the discounts.
nedmech

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:44 pm Reply with quote
JohnnySake wrote:
nedmech wrote:
Unfortunately, stupid corporate idiots at Best-Buy doesn't consider Voltron as Anime. It was stocked in their Anime section, but rang up full price as "TV Series". Evil or Very Mad

What the workers at the local (Rochester, MI) Best Buy were telling me is that sku's that started with AN (look at the price tag to see the "AN" on it) counted as anime and should be subject to the discount.

Like I said before, make sure you take the time and talk nicely and intelligently to the staff, it's worth the effort to get the discounts.

I did talk to them, and they pointed out that the SKU had "TV" on it instead of "AI" as the rest anime selections at my local store are marked. I'm just mad that they consider Voltron a TV series instead of Anime.
wooly mammoth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:01 pm Reply with quote
kylewasson wrote:
wooly mammoth wrote:

http://boards.adultswim.com/adultswim/board/message?board.id=4&thread.id=2244598&jump=true

Here is the list - depending on where you live, there are 6 in Maryland and some stores mostly in Southern VA - not many in NoVA. Hope this helps you!

Thanks for the link I really appreciate it Very Happy . I think I'll head down to one of the stores near me tomorrow, I hope they have a good selection of stuff on sale.
jessbabyblue

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Well, my bf and I went to east Appleton, Fond du Lac, Lake Geneva, and Kenosha today from 1pm to 7pm Wisconsin time.
Got lots of goodies there.
1. Death Note Special Edition #7 (box in ok condition)
2. Eureka 7 dvd #4 (ended up with full price and didn't realize til after we were in the car booo and going to fond du lac
3. 5 CM PER SECOND (OUT OF PRINT) WOW WHAT A STEAL
- found 2 more of the dvds at kenosha but picked this up in Lake Geneva yay. Its getting sent to JORDAN, already have a copy it is for a anime ARAB FAN HEHEHE LOL.
4. School Rumble Season 2
5. Ghost Hunt
6. Ghost Slayers
7. Claymore #2
8. Claymore #3
9. Kyo Kara Maoh Season 2 #9

We were very shocked at how little they had for box sets for everything and how picked over everything is with selections. We have to go to some of the other places yet.
Memoninee Falls and Sheboygan (where we live) are not part of the sale. I called all over the state pretty much today to find out where the sales were and all.
I guess to say we didn't' get a lot cause we haven't needed much at all and most that we need is the newer things as well.
Going to hit Grafton and Fox Point soon. BTW Northridge has a couple of dollars off their dvds which isn't worth going to and see if they have anything at all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Manga
daedelus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Well, I went to the Victory Lakes(aka League City)TX. store and bought the Robotech Protoculture set for $37, One Piece season 1 part 2 for $20 and School Rumble season 2 part 2 for $21. I'll check back next weekend to pick up a few more. Like others have said, this location hadn't been getting very much new stuff. For almost a year now there's been a lone copy of 5cm per second on the shelf, but I didn't notice if it was still there or not. I had this thought that, for half price, I'd give that copy a home if no one else did, even though I already own a copy. If it is still there, maybe...
jessbabyblue

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:47 am Reply with quote
wow i wanted jason to get the 2 other 5cm dvds and kanon 5 dvd. He can throw them up on ebay but he wants others to be able to find them. Its at the Kenosh , Wisconsin Best buy for all 3. Btw never call and ask if they r in. I had been asking all day and was told NO. LMFAO employees have no idea at all and just check the computer weird but yeah thats all they do. Trying to find welcome to the NHK PACK and EUREKA 7 SPECIAL EDITIONS. Last some more DEATH NOTE SPECIAL EDITION 9 AND UP. Want to know for sure that ova for shana is in pack? We have all the singles but want ova. Maybe getting that tomorrow yay. Please check out our collection on profile link. We didn't add what we got today yet tomorrow plan on adding rest.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Manga
jessbabyblue

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:06 am Reply with quote
we also got INUYASHA SEASON 5.
Rishidan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:38 am Reply with quote
One of my items initially 'didn't qualify" in the system. The register clerk, knowing about the sale, said that this is a common occurrence. He then took it upon himself to get the floor manager to put in her override code and save me $20. Very Happy
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:03 am Reply with quote
JohnnySake wrote:

Also, to the other poster who went to the Auburn Hills, MI store, they were having the sale going on there, only certain sku's were ringing up as being on sale. I picked up the limited edition of Ghost Slayers Ayashi there for $25.00.

How was Aurburn Hills? I'm heading up there later today. I might even pop over to Rochester.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:48 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:

How was Aurburn Hills? I'm heading up there later today. I might even pop over to Rochester.

Hey there,

Auburn Hills had a pretty good selection as of Sunday afternoon, so did Rochester Hills. The Rochester Hills store was under the impression that all the anime videos were subject to the 50% off sale, so I would go there first. R.H. had a bigger selection and variety than A.H.

Good luck! Smile
golby260

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:28 am Reply with quote
Yay. Very Happy My local Best Buy (#505 Southlake, GA, a.k.a. Morrow, GA store) is not on the clearance list.

Too bad about some of the other ones far out in the Metro Atlanta Area, though. Confused

My local store usually has a somewhat decent collection of anime, considering how well anime does at all, nowadays. I can't tell whether the Media Play that it used to be back in the day (same building!) held more than it does now, though. Back during 1996-1998, I used to save up lunch money and buy my Robotech VHS tapes there ($11.99 for two episodes! I got six tapes!). Smile Heh, heh.

My friend bought me the Southern Cross/Mospaeda box set for Christmas, having given me the choice between that or whichever Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya boxset was available. Not too surprised it's not on the list. It seems to be the main area south of the city to buy anime, now.
Spiked Vash

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:09 pm Reply with quote
[/quote]Also, to the other poster who went to the Auburn Hills, MI store, they were having the sale going on there, only certain sku's were ringing up as being on sale. I picked up the limited edition of Ghost Slayers Ayashi there for $25.00.[/quote]

Sweet! Thanks. I might drop by there again. I didn't see the store putting up the little 50% off anime tag, so I left assuming they're not having the sale.

[/quote]Auburn Hills had a pretty good selection as of Sunday afternoon, so did Rochester Hills. The Rochester Hills store was under the impression that all the anime videos were subject to the 50% off sale, so I would go there first. R.H. had a bigger selection and variety than A.H.[/quote]

True that for the A.H. one. Maybe I'll swing by the R.H. one, but it's one hour from me. Maybe a few more (yeah, right, this is starting to feel like gambling: "Just a few more shouldn't hurt" and before I know it, my wallet is empty) + Gurren Lagann.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 17