• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Lucky Star 6 LE Cancellation Confirmed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:32 am Reply with quote
Do you really need to be that much of a videophile? Really? A 900 MB episode is absolutely insane in terms of quality, my god. Most -300- MB episodes look just fine, let alone the 700MB they can usually fit on even a single layer disc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:48 pm Reply with quote
And where in the world are you watching these episodes that the "drop" in quality is so "noticeable"? A 57-foot-wide video board at a football stadium?
Polly E.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
And where in the world are you watching these episodes that the "drop" in quality is so "noticeable"? A 57-foot-wide video board at a football stadium?

Videophiles see the world of video in a different way. I can relate somewhat, being an audiophile myself. I'm a bit of a videophile as well, though nowhere near the level of the earlier poster. If you don't know what you're looking for in terms of awful compression, artifacting, encoding, and all that other fun stuff I don't really wanna get into, then consider yourself lucky and enjoy what you enjoy.

Last edited by Polly E. on Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Exactly. There really is no noticeable drop in quality. People just need something to bitch at Funimation about when they are actually doing something good. I'm sure that all of their new releases will be fine. If the quality really would drop don't you think they would just add another disc? If most half season sets cost about $50 and a complete set of a 12 episode series costs the same with a three discs then I don't even think the price would even go up and nobody was upset with geneon for putting 12 episodes on three discs if I remember.
mulrich

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:25 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
Do you really need to be that much of a videophile? Really? A 900 MB episode is absolutely insane in terms of quality, my god. Most -300- MB episodes look just fine, let alone the 700MB they can usually fit on even a single layer disc.

The difference being that DVDs don't use H.264 nor XviD. They use MPEG-2, a much older video format that doesn't allow for awesome video quality at low file sizes. Don't compare fansubs/DVD rips to actual DVDs.

If you cannot see tearing, bleeding, rainbowing, aliasing, and all the other horrible things introduced by poor mastering and bad compression, you must be blind.

And no, I don't have a 57" high-definition television. I usually watch my DVDs on a 21" CRT TV, and the "quality" of my NHK DVDs is quite noticable. It's even worse on our 32" HDTV.

I want to buy the DVDs for the shows I like. But I don't want to be buttfucked in doing so.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If you cannot see tearing, bleeding, rainbowing, aliasing, and all the other horrible things introduced by poor mastering and bad compression, you must be blind.

Actually, while I do have 20/20 vision with glasses, I would be legally blind without them. Thanks, though. Smile

Quote:
I usually watch my DVDs on a 21" CRT TV, and the "quality" of my NHK DVDs is quite noticable. It's even worse on our 32" HDTV.

I call BS. There is no way it's that noticeable on some tiny little SD TV. No. way. You're just trying to justify an unwillingness to purchase perfectly good quality DVDs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Sandstar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:00 pm Reply with quote
mulrich wrote:
SongstressCela wrote:

The difference being that DVDs don't use H.264 nor XviD. They use MPEG-2, a much older video format that doesn't allow for awesome video quality at low file sizes. Don't compare fansubs/DVD rips to actual DVDs.

And no, I don't have a 57" high-definition television. I usually watch my DVDs on a 21" CRT TV, and the "quality" of my NHK DVDs is quite noticable. It's even worse on our 32" HDTV.

I want to buy the DVDs for the shows I like. But I don't want to be buttfucked in doing so.

Remember kids: watching a video with a slight drop in quality is the same as anal rape!
mulrich

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:27 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
You're just trying to justify an unwillingness to purchase perfectly good quality DVDs.

Suit yourself. I'm not the one sticking my head in the ground and denying facts.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
I hope Bandai wises up to the fact that anime fans are a picky and often cheapskate bunch.

You're right, it isn't like every single anime company executive, journalist, casual observer, homeless person and baby chihuahua doesn't know this by now.

I asked my Chihuahua about it, but she doesn't seem to have any thoughts on the subject.

In other news, wait where did we start talking about DVD compression quality? I can't believe people don't like how FUNi packages a lot of their rescues from ADV and such, because space-saving + changing discs less often = WIN
Polly E.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:

In other news, wait where did we start talking about DVD compression quality? I can't believe people don't like how FUNi packages a lot of their rescues from ADV and such, because space-saving + changing discs less often = WIN

While I disagree with how it's cool to be a confrontational and crass snob on the internet like our Mr. Cool Friend mulrich, valid points are being made. The video quality does take quite a hit from the high episode counts.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:52 pm Reply with quote
mulrich wrote:

I'm also calling BS on this too, I've been able to watch anime on a 60" HDTV and didn't notice a quality difference of say Ghost Hunt (7 to 6 episode disc) versus a Volume of Phoenix ( 5 to 4 episodes a disc). I have DVD's for the Lupin the Third series by Pioneer/Geneon that Volumes 1 and 2 had 6 episodes a disc, so it was possible fairly early in anime DVDs to get 6 episodes a disc, they're just recently pushing it.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Wow, not even sure where to start with this one. I'm glad to see most people aren't completely pissed that the LE got cancelled, and are understanding of the reasons. At least we got an announcement from them, and they did just let it hang out there with no official word. (Remember Viz....)

Also, even Bandai has admitted this title has underperformed. I've seen first hand how poorly it has sold through some retail channels, with perhaps the only exceptions being Right Stuf and RACS. Recently Best Buy sent back all the remaining Lucky Star LE's it had left in most stores, which was several thousand copies or 80% of what we had received. I think that had a lot to do with decision to drop it for the final volume.

Sadly, the economy is pretty bad. DVD sales are in the toilet, and anime sales are even worse. Retailers are collapsing nation wide and people are spending less money. We're lucky this is all that got dropped. The R1 companies are going to have a tough time this year, so I'm willing to cut them all some slack the next few months.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I'd rather have good video quality rather than fewer discs. However, I'm not a videophile and I don't think that I'm likely to notice the drop in quality. Most people probably won't. Unless the drop in quality is significant or you have something to compare it to, you're not likely to notice unless you're really looking for that sort of thing and used to detecting problems in video. I'm pretty sure that most people just watch the DVDs and don't think all that much about the video quality.

As for Funimation's releases in specific, I certainly haven't noticed any reduction in quality, but I have been surprised that they've been cramming as many episodes per disc as they have. However, most of what I've been watching that has had 6 or 7 episodes per disc have been shows like Case Closed which don't look all that great regardless of the video quality because they weren't exactly high class animation to begin with.

Hopefully, the folks at Funimation are aware of any issues related to video quality and will avoid putting too many episodes on a disc when it matters. Of course, as things slowly shift over to BluRay, the issue may disappear since then we're dealing with an entirely different format.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Oh goodness,

You really ARE a butthead, Mulrich!

It's the same B.S. regardless of what forum you post in, sonny...
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:09 am Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
Let's see here. Back in the early days of DVD releases, a standard DVD could hold 4.7GB of information. That came out to a little over 1GB per episode. Nowadays, we have this amazing thing called dual-layer DVDs, which can hold up to 9.4GB of information. So, when you figure that 7 episodes at 1GB each equals 7GB, I'd imagine that the video quality won't be all that greatly affected by the extra space on the disc. Smile

Well, DVD-9s are 8.5 GB actually....... well..... in company advertising terms where 1 GB = 1000 MB. It's really closer to 8000 MB where 1 GB = 1024 MB in computer terms (which use the power of 2: 2^10 = 1024). Same with 4.7 GB, which is really about 4400 MB.

DVD specs have a max bitrate about 10 Mb/s = 1.25 MB/s.
8000 MB / 1.25 MB/s = 6400 seconds = about 107 minutes at max bitrate.

Of course, nobody maxes the bitrate every second. The usual average is around 6-7 MB/s bitrate = about 152-178 minutes of show time (not counting extras and such). That's about 6-7 episodes of barebones DVD.

Of course, other factors to be considered include how complex the source material and how good the MPEG-2 encoding process used.

Kalessin wrote:

Hopefully, the folks at Funimation are aware of any issues related to video quality and will avoid putting too many episodes on a disc when it matters. Of course, as things slowly shift over to BluRay, the issue may disappear since then we're dealing with an entirely different format.

Well, that is until the equipment improves again, like 16000x9000 pixel resolution and 200-inch TVs, then you'd need yet better codecs on bigger disc capacities. Laughing

And of course, more discs per boxset = pricier boxsets.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9