• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Lucky Star 6 LE Cancellation Confirmed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:33 pm Reply with quote
I've got to be rather honest, half the time I couldn't give an aerially gifted rodent's posterior about extras or trinkets with special editions. They hike the price up when singles are already damned pricey, and half the time they end up collecting so much dust because after I amuse myself with them for about five minutes I never give them a second glance again. And for someone who mostly focuses on waiting for the economic boxed versions, limited editions often hold even LESS appeal for me.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:59 pm Reply with quote
As a person who bought the regular edtion of Love Lucky volume one and had a series cancelled, I really do feel for the box set collectors.

Every body remember when Geneon was forced to close? Back then I thought Karin would never would have been picked up and the boxset I bought was pointless then. Although I am glad Karin was picked up, half a year or more passed until news of Funimation re-licensing Karin.

I know how you the fans feel, but Bandai probably had no choice. If the boxsets weren't selling that well, why continue wasting money. I am just glad the final volume was actually released.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Reminds me of how all the "fans" neglected to buy the Haruhi special eds, let alone the regular DVDs. I hope Bandai wises up to the fact that anime fans are a picky and often cheapskate bunch.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:02 am Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Reminds me of how all the "fans" neglected to buy the Haruhi special eds, let alone the regular DVDs. I hope Bandai wises up to the fact that anime fans are a picky and often cheapskate bunch.

Which is why Funi's season and box sets are the way to go.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:34 am Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:

Indeed, The time of singles is that of the dinosaurs.
Mistystuffer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:49 am Reply with quote
Polly E. wrote:
Oof, that's a kick in the nards. I feel sorry for anyone as OCD as me about having to have EVERYTHING and not having that final volume in limited edition would drive me insane. You have my sympathies, buyers.

As someone with OCD I can definately say this is terrible news. Since the vol. 6 LE now doesn't exist, I can deal with not having the "best" version, but the fact that the cover won't match the LE ones will dirve me insane.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:53 am Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
I hope Bandai wises up to the fact that anime fans are a picky and often cheapskate bunch.

You're right, it isn't like every single anime company executive, journalist, casual observer, homeless person and baby chihuahua doesn't know this by now.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:57 am Reply with quote
The question of if they act on said infomation is another bag of peanuts entirely.
mulrich

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:41 am Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:

Jesus [expletive] shit, no, it isn't. As long as FUNimation continues to release 24/26-episode series on FOUR DVDs, their boxsets are DEFINITELY NOT to be desired. I'd rather not make my eyes bleed. I was very disappointed when they released Welcome to the NHK, because it had originally been advertised as being six DVDs, but when they eventually released it, it was just four DVDs, which seriously impacted video quality.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:11 am Reply with quote
mulrich wrote:

Jesus [expletive] shit, no, it isn't. As long as FUNimation continues to release 24/26-episode series on FOUR DVDs, their boxsets are DEFINITELY NOT to be desired. I'd rather not make my eyes bleed. I was very disappointed when they released Welcome to the NHK, because it had originally been advertised as being six DVDs, but when they eventually released it, it was just four DVDs, which seriously impacted video quality.

What? Most standard anime DVD's don't take up all of the DVD space, and with half season sets at two discs let see here....

1 Disc 7 episodes
1 Disc 6 episodes.

We have had anime releases ( By Geneon no less) that had 6 episodes a disc, 7 would be one more. So no, there wouldn't be a quality drop. I'm beginning to feel this is another excuse to do something that shall not be mentioned here.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:21 am Reply with quote
Let's see here. Back in the early days of DVD releases, a standard DVD could hold 4.7GB of information. That came out to a little over 1GB per episode. Nowadays, we have this amazing thing called dual-layer DVDs, which can hold up to 9.4GB of information. So, when you figure that 7 episodes at 1GB each equals 7GB, I'd imagine that the video quality won't be all that greatly affected by the extra space on the disc. Smile
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:27 am Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:

* raises hand
I've got three complete sets of LEs.
I haven't bought more than the first R1 LE for Lucky star as I was hoping to avoid doing the same again (I've been regretting getting the R2 LEs as they aren't all that special, but at least I have a complete set which I wouldn't have with the R1s). Now of course it is pretty much a certainty that even if Lucky Star is released in the UK there will be no LE version and I'm in a quandary over whether to get the LEs for 2-5 or not.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:29 am Reply with quote
My understand is that DVDs are full, but it definitely depends on how well they authored the discs. Especially for newer anime we're getting to the point where the raw data files for each episode would probably be many gigs large in video alone, trying to fit more than 5 onto a single disc would start to compromise the picture. These last few shows FUNi has been grabbing were from the end of the SD anime as most of it moves on to bigger and better resolutions. I wonder how comparing even TV raws of Soul Eater to DVDs will be, if the differences will be big enough. Though that show in particular probably works well in each situation because the coloration is very flat and even, but there are tons of shows where shading and larger color palettes are used, as well as more intricate animation, so HD is highly important there.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:57 am Reply with quote
True enough however most HD DVDs are kinda expensive.

Either way hopefully this cancelliation doesn't spell gloom and doom for bandai cause it may end up being the end of the gundam series if it happens.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mulrich

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:28 am Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
mulrich wrote:

What? Most standard anime DVD's don't take up all of the DVD space, and with half season sets at two discs let see here....

1 Disc 7 episodes
1 Disc 6 episodes.

We have had anime releases ( By Geneon no less) that had 6 episodes a disc, 7 would be one more. So no, there wouldn't be a quality drop. I'm beginning to feel this is another excuse to do something that shall not be mentioned here.

The thing is those half-season sets don't use all the space either. In fact, each episode barely has a gigabyte of space.

A dual-layer DVD has 7.91 GiB of space. A 7-episode DVD has uses perhaps 7 GiB. Then there's the menu and their stupid trailers, and the dub. That uses, perhaps, 500-700 MiB. That leaves 6.32 GiB for video. Divided by 7, that's 924 MiB per episode. Far from the 1.5 GiB most Japanese DVDs have per episode, and the impact is quite visible. (A two-episode Japanese DVD is usually between 3 and 4 GiB in size, including menu and audio, and sometimes, extras.)

If they dropped the dub, trailers, and used the whole DVD, it still wouldn't work. 1.13 GiB just isn't enough.

5 episodes on a fully used dual-layer DVD is the most you can do without a noticable drop in quality.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9