• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Licenses RIN: Daughters of Mnemosyne

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
show made sense to me, but it would be too much spoiler to really tell ya...it was a decent show but the best parts IMO, were two things

A.Rie Kugimiya moaning

B.the fight scenes

I'd watch that.

...And Zetsubou Sensei!
loplop

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Unexpected, But most welcome . . . .
loplop

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
I remember this title awhile back. Does anyone have some synopsis of what the hell this show was about?

Oooh, it's got "boobies". Funimation is keeping up their reputation. Of course this is not a 'Gonzo' flick.

Quote:
Rin Asōgi may look like an ordinary office lady on the outside but she is actually a private investigator taking on any job, from finding a stray cat to infiltrating a high-security corporate lab. What's more, she appears literally indestructible, supernaturally healing any injuries and mutilations. Together with her partner Mimi, Rin dives into the darkest secrets of the society but the ones she hides herself are by far more sinister...
(Source: ANN)
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
show made sense to me, but it would be too much spoiler to really tell ya...it was a decent show but the best parts IMO, were two things

A.Rie Kugimiya moaning spoiler[during lesbian sex scenes]

B.the fight scenes

Fixed! Surprised

And hell yes, I'm definitely buying this rather delicious violent, sexy OVA series (and did I mention lesbian sex scenes?)!

Last edited by darkchibi07 on Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheTheory

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Anything with the term "horror" amid it's categories list will get at least a curious glance from me. The "nothing but sex and violence" thing is kind of disappointing... but as long as I know it going into it it shouldn't really be a problem. Still, we'll see what kind of price we start out with.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:54 pm Reply with quote
On second thought, having seen more comments about this one that explained content, I'm starting to grow quite interested indeed. Yes.
edzieba

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Polly E. wrote:
That was my issue with the show as well. It's a jumbled mess of plot points that never seem to come together in any sensible way and makes the show feel like it was sold only on sex and violence.
I thought it tied up pretty handily. spoiler[Yggrasil utilised those little 'eggs' to gather sensory information. Eggs that hit women created immortals, to gether data over a longer period. Eggs that hit men created the angels, to retrieve the eggs. Given that Mnemosyne was the greek personification of memory, it all seems rather obvious in retrospect.]
DFBTG

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Well, I suppose this is good for those who've already seen it and liked it and those who just generally like yuri (of the more hardcore variety) and violence. For those that like even a half baked story...well, have fun. While I do enjoy the yuri aspect, and the animation is nice, I won't be picking this up in the near future...unless it's really cheap and I've bought everything else I wanted.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

A.Rie Kugimiya moaning

B.the fight scenes

^ this. Rie Kugimiya moaning was totally out of nowhere and epic! Too bad this will be butchered Anime hyper
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
Too bad this will be butchered Anime hyper

where do you get that impression?
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:13 pm Reply with quote
This also isn't School Days.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I was surprised to see it being licensed!

Well, since it is so short, hopefully it will be a one-disc thingy at a good price.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:27 pm Reply with quote
I for one am not at all surprised this was licensed, as it's pretty much the same type of show as Murder Princess, but with more explicit (lesbian) sex and gore, and a modern setting instead of a fantasy one. Unfortunately, the plot is too pretentious and disjointed to be as enjoyable as Murder Princess, and Rin isn't nearly badass enough to be a real badass (as I think half of her kills come from letting the villains kill her, then stealth killing them because they don't know she's immortal).
Big Hed

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:32 pm Reply with quote
High freakin' five, Funi. I didn't see this one coming at all. I can't wait to buy it.

kokuryu wrote:
Well, since it is so short, hopefully it will be a one-disc thingy at a good price.

No way will this be a single disc release. Two discs though, sure, since it's 6x45 minutes, so 3 per disc.

Anyway, I thought the plot was pretty straightforward, and satisfying enough. Having said that, the show definitely sells on its plethora of...graphic content.

So, not to be a demanding consumer whore, but Mnemosyne being licensed means that I can now expect to hear about Kara no Kyoukai before too long, yes? Razz Regardless, this is a great announcement.

Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
(as I think half of her kills come from letting the villains kill her, then stealth killing them because they don't know she's immortal).

Hey, can't blame the woman for playing to her strengths. Smile

Last edited by Big Hed on Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:33 pm Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
Polly E. wrote:
That was my issue with the show as well. It's a jumbled mess of plot points that never seem to come together in any sensible way and makes the show feel like it was sold only on sex and violence.
I thought it tied up pretty handily. spoiler[Yggrasil utilised those little 'eggs' to gather sensory information. Eggs that hit women created immortals, to gether data over a longer period. Eggs that hit men created the angels, to retrieve the eggs. Given that Mnemosyne was the greek personification of memory, it all seems rather obvious in retrospect.]

Yes, but the overarching plot is explained, but given that it only really matters for the last two episodes (of six), why should we care about the random crap that Rin and Mimi focus on for the vast majority of the first four. I get that it's supposed to show how Maeno and his family always seem oddly connected to Rin, but it would have been more enjoyable if the episode plots were more than tangentially related to the deeper (ha!) story.

Also, mmm, hybrid mythology. At least they're from the same continent.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9