• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Say Hello to Black Jack's Sato Discloses Expenses, Income

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Banken

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:24 pm Reply with quote
That's really interesting.

On the other hand, he would have earned $57,000 for two weeks worth of sales on just one volume, so I don't think he's hurting too much. Pretty good for someone who draws comic books. I bet artists like Taito Kubo, et. al get paid 5X+ per page as this guy though.

Rumiko Takahashi was well known for being a multi-millionaire.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Wow, real figures! This sheds some light on the whole anime / manga industry for everyone! But I think the rates are comparable to what is being paid in the US for similar work... its just that the artists themselves are usually not independants, but work for a group, so the cost is spread around to the inkers, backgrounders, etc.
melonbread

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Update: The highest paid manga creator in 2003 was Rumiko Takahashi, who paid 171 million yen (US$1.7 million) in taxes on an estimated income of 450 million yen (US$4.5 million).

I can see why she kept Inu Yasha running for all that time then =)
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:43 pm Reply with quote
So he doesn't actually get to take much money home with him, then? And taxes must be a bitch, too. Poor guy.
haido

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:17 pm Reply with quote
so does this mean that sato has to paid his own staff or the company he works for pays the staff im lost there
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:33 pm Reply with quote
haido wrote:
so does this mean that sato has to paid his own staff or the company he works for pays the staff im lost there

The artist pays his staff.
leongsh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:53 am Reply with quote
Fascinating look at the expenses. Paying ¥18m in salaries to his 6 assistants to earn ¥16m and covering the difference from manga volume sales. Using the figures provided for the 5th volume sold, he earned ¥5.7m of which ¥2m will be used to cover the shortfall mentioned above. Thus, leaving him with ¥3.7m as net earnings. of course, the earnings from the earlier volumes will also trickle in. It isn't a lot. It's even worse for his assistants. Tough profession. You need quite a bit of madness, persistence, commitment and a whole lot of love for manga to stay in it.
Banken

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:00 pm Reply with quote
In case you weren't paying attention, the $57,000 was just two weeks of sales of ONE volume.
babbo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:44 am Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
In case you weren't paying attention, the $57,000 was just two weeks of sales of ONE volume.
At one chapter a month with a volume being 8-10 chapters? And it's not like the tankobon comes out directly after all the chapters are out. In the end he's also going to have to put $20,000 back into production expenses too. Doesn't really sound all too peachy considering how exceedingly hard work as a mangaka is. I'd be willing to guess that sales prolly peak after two weeks too, particularly with seinen series. Anyone more knowledgeable about this (sales that is)?
Banken

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:20 am Reply with quote
Well, if they sell more than 100,000 copies in two weeks, I'd think it's safe to say it'll sell at least 500,000 copies in say, a year. That's $250,000 in income.

Now let's assume the previous four volumes will sell, say, 300,000 copies this year. That's another 150,000.

So he might be making around 500,000 a year. That's really not bad for a profession known for starvation.
babbo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
Well, if they sell more than 100,000 copies in two weeks, I'd think it's safe to say it'll sell at least 500,000 copies in say, a year. That's $250,000 in income.

Now let's assume the previous four volumes will sell, say, 300,000 copies this year. That's another 150,000.

So he might be making around 500,000 a year. That's really not bad for a profession known for starvation.
Those are big assumptions considering how saturated the market is and the large used book market in japan <.<
Banken

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Yes, they are. But I think they're reasonable, and conservative estimates.

Believe me, I know ALL about the used book market in Japan. That's where 99.9 of my manga collection comes from.

Even when you consider how many people either read in stores (which always annoyed the hell out of me), only buy used, or only read the magazines, the circulation for compiled volumes is still massive.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1