• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Hey There, Sailor!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm a latecomer to the Sailor Moon fanbase. Never saw it on TV when it was on, though I was aware of what it was. Wasn't until I was in college and our anime club was showing Sailor Stars that I got into it and had to go back and watch the earlier seasons.

My favorite is Mercury, if only for the Live Action version of her and the Dark Ami arc. (what can I say, it's total fuel for my "Live Action Usagi/Ami" love)
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Uranus and Sailor Neptune made me question my heterosexuality when I was about 10, and ultimately helped me to come out. Very Happy I REGRET NOTHING.

Julia-the-Great wrote:
I'm a latecomer to the Sailor Moon fanbase. Never saw it on TV when it was on, though I was aware of what it was. Wasn't until I was in college and our anime club was showing Sailor Stars that I got into it and had to go back and watch the earlier seasons.

My favorite is Mercury, if only for the Live Action version of her and the Dark Ami arc. (what can I say, it's total fuel for my "Live Action Usagi/Ami" love)

Live action Rei/Minako love is my ship of choice in PGSM.
Anton Chigurh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:16 pm Reply with quote
One of the cool things about growing up a SM fan in Latin America was, we got SM Stars. Pretty much unedited. What a head trip.

I liked the ending, even though they recycled the plot point of spoiler[killing off all the Senshi to revive them later] from the first season. You rarely see shows (especially such geared towards a younger audience) that just up and spoiler[kill off 4/5 of the main cast in one single, harrowing battle] just because they can. And the Spanish dub also wasn't ambiguous about spoiler[declaring the girls dead. It was in the episode's freaking title.] It was unlike almost any other show for kids airing at the time.

I never had a favorite Senshi. I still don't.

Last edited by Anton Chigurh on Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:16 pm Reply with quote
All this look back at the products in North America, and no mention of the pasta? We had Sailor Moon spaghetio-os!

Yeeaaah. I can going to a great aunt's house in North Florida for Christmas of 1995 or 1996 and catching a weird cartoon with a girl who argued with her little brother, and her family was taking a trip at a lake that ended up having an evil monster coming out of it, and then a guy showing up throwing roses, and then the girl transforming into a super hero and having something to do with the moon. I'm not saying I was an observant kid, but with only little boy shows to watch at the time, having a show with a main girl kicking but, and addressing things like love... there just wasn't anything else like it. Before that all a girl had for girl power was She-Ra, and out of all my friends I was the only one who had ever heard of She-Ra.

I never did remember what the show was called and I didn't have it back in Key West where I was living, buy it stuck with me. Fast forward 3 or so years later and there it was around 6am on a local channel right before school.

Now discovering that Toronto had a live action Sailor Moon show of some sort when I was little, and my mom and I would make yearly trips to there at the same time, I now feel totally betrayed by my aunts for their never alerting me that there was such a thing. Course how could they know everything going on in the city... but still... I am 26 now and there's a 10 year old crying inside.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:28 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, I was like, 3 or 4 years old when the show was on air. I vaguely remembered my older sister watching it late at night and the dub was....unforgettable to say the least. To this day, I still can't watch the Japanese version without imaging Naru (Usagi's schoolmate) with a Brooklyn accent or Luna with a fake British accent. Embarassed

I was reintroduced to Sailor Moon during my transition from middle to high school. One of best guy friends (yes, he's a major magical girl fanboy) had bought the bootleg version of the entire series on DVD so we ended up watching most of Sailor Moon during summer break! Eventually, I found the movies online & the rest is history. ^__^ Bought volumes 4-6 today and I'll pre-order volumes 7 & 8 tomorrow.

I have already mentioned this on Gia's List, but I have three favorite Sailor Solider/Guardian:

Sailor Mercury- soft-spoken and intelligent but never stuck up, she was the most relatable character of the show; also, blue is my favorite color. Anime hyper

Sailor Jupiter-athletic, tomboyish who still enjoyed cooking, she was sort of the big sister I always wanted (that sounds kinda weird actually); her lighting attacks were always fun to watch.

Sailor Uranus-she was brave, had a sword, strong leadership skills, deeply "cares" for Neptune Wink, and just so... "handsome". ^/////^
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:30 pm Reply with quote
This article was very informative and well written. Sailor Moon was one of my gateway drugs into anime. I was lucky enough to have watched the first two seasons uncut while living in Mexico.

I had to watch the rest of the series on YouTube years later. I would love the chance to own the series legally. My favorite sailor soldier is Sailor Mars because she is very strong and has a strong personality. I also like that she looks great on those red high hills.

A question for Mike: you say that despite some surprisingly complex themes and story, Sailor Moon is ultimately meant for kids, but also say that the show is edgy. Which one is it? Is it for kids or not?
SaharaFrost

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Saturn is definitely my favorite...world-destruction powers + purple + silent-but-cool-type = awesome. Jupiter is a close runner-up though. And who can forget ChibiChibi??? So cute!!!! I liked Mercury too, but she doesn't make it into my top 3, I'm afraid. Razz
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:49 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
All this look back at the products in North America, and no mention of the pasta? We had Sailor Moon spaghetio-os!

Yeeaaah. I can going to a great aunt's house in North Florida for Christmas of 1995 or 1996 and catching a weird cartoon with a girl who argued with her little brother, and her family was taking a trip at a lake that ended up having an evil monster coming out of it, and then a guy showing up throwing roses, and then the girl transforming into a super hero and having something to do with the moon. I'm not saying I was an observant kid, but with only little boy shows to watch at the time, having a show with a main girl kicking but, and addressing things like love... there just wasn't anything else like it. Before that all a girl had for girl power was She-Ra, and out of all my friends I was the only one who had ever heard of She-Ra.

I never did remember what the show was called and I didn't have it back in Key West where I was living, buy it stuck with me. Fast forward 3 or so years later and there it was around 6am on a local channel right before school.

Now discovering that Toronto had a live action Sailor Moon show of some sort when I was little, and my mom and I would make yearly trips to there at the same time, I now feel totally betrayed by my aunts for their never alerting me that there was such a thing. Course how could they know everything going on in the city... but still... I am 26 now and there's a 10 year old crying inside.

Here i was the only one thinking that I remembered those.. good lord lol. Still something in me says sailor moon aired around 93-94 in America on tv on wbn but my memory from the 90's is a big haze now. I'll be blunt and honest even though I'm a guy sailor moon is what initially caught my interest and got me into anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Here's the video DIC sent networks to get them interested in picking up the show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEXqoPgbH0c

Or if you don't want to watch it: Toys toys sale sales toys sales toys sales

Yeah.. kind of surprised anyone even bothered to be honest. If Sailor Moon had that much trouble, it's no surprise current magical girl stuff is pretty much extinct in America. TV is just too much of a boy's market here for them to air it.

angelmcazares wrote:
A question for Mike: you say that despite some surprisingly complex themes and story, Sailor Moon is ultimately meant for kids, but also say that the show is edgy. Which one is it? Is it for kids or not?

'edgy' and kids show aren't mutually exclusive. It's a kids show, but it's a Japanese kids show, which means it can have plenty of adult-level of content if they want. If it aired uncut in the US, it'd have been stuck on Adult Swim and been forced to market it to adults due to it's content, since Japanese has much more lenient standards for children's programming.

Last edited by TitanXL on Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:54 pm Reply with quote
I started watching SM with my sole female cousin when she visited once, and kept watching when she left. It wasn't a favorite of mine, but I did keep busy watching it. I was really impressed by the English dub songs in the show, though they're mostly replacement music (a practice I generally dislike). "My Only Love", "Rainy Day Man", and "Power of Love" were my favorites. I also liked to see when Tuxedo Mask would show up and then stand by while the girls did all the real work.

"Don't fret, girls! I'm here to save you for a second, and then watch you do everything important! Stare at me dreamily, I'm wearing a top hat!"

Laziest superhero ever.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Being around 14 with it still airing on cartoon network and babysitting little girls at the time resulted in baby sitting much like this:
http://youtu.be/X4ASB52wX5Y

Cept when I did it, we didn't have any costumes.

Yep. Thinking back now whenever I babysat I'd introduce the kids to Sailor Moon. Made baby sitting easier. I wonder if any of them grew up into anime fans.
B-503_MIA

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:17 pm Reply with quote
When my (now) wife & I were dating we watched the show on Toonami... Our first child was a girl so I hit ebay pretty hard in her first couple years with terms like "Sailor Moon Lot", "Sailor Moon Dolls", "..Wand", "..Brooch" "..dvds" etc. - she's 10 now & has a pretty awesome collection (yes, the moon cycle, 3d adventures, Colorforms software & a fridge magnet based on the ice cream bar are parts of it). She's really enjoying the manga & new shirts being sold at hot topic (need some socks, please!) & was pretty excited when I informed her that a new series is on the way... Kind of silly but I hope she is able to surround herself with those type of friends as she gets older - the endearing friendships throughout the series was always a high point for me. The R Movie was a fave of mine too, my mother's family name is Fiori (close to the "villain" in the film) -the meteor scene w/"Moon Revenge", love it...

Hard to pick one favorite - Moon herself, Jupiter is great, Pluto... I always thought that Black/Wicked Lady was a cool character & Human Luna from the S Movie, Cooan/Catzy...

Anybody else have VKLL vhs subs?
Texanon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:37 pm Reply with quote
On the subject of Sailor Moon video games, I've played most of them and there are only 2 that I would really ever recommend and they're both for the SNES.

Sailor Moon S Kurukkurin- A cute little Puzzle game where you play as all of the Senshi from the S season trying to gather the 3 talisman via popping heart shaped Balloons. It starts out very simple but slowly adds various elements that create a lot of variety to the gameplay. It's nothing exciting but it's entertaining.

Sailor Moon Another Story- A RPG game based mainly on the Manga up to the Mugen/S arc. Mostly it's a rehash of plots from the Manga with a few new villains mixed in. All of the inner Senshi get their own chapters where they go to different points of the globe on solo missions that develop what they would do in a situation without the other girls. The plot is the only thing worth playing for as it's very grind-y and just has a generic turn based battle system. But overall I'd say it's the best Sailor Moon based game.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm interested in seeing how Sailor Moon brings itself into the modern age.

Just yesterday, Smile Precure, which features a team of 5 magical girls with element based attacks, had what was hands down one of the finest battle sequences in a Magical Girl show without "Nanoha" in its title.

Can Sailor Moon step up to this level?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:02 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
I'm interested in seeing how Sailor Moon brings itself into the modern age.

Just yesterday, Smile Precure, which features a team of 5 magical girls with element based attacks, had what was hands down one of the finest battle sequences in a Magical Girl show without "Nanoha" in its title.

Can Sailor Moon step up to this level?

Yeah, let's not forget that nearly all of the non-boss battles of Sailor Moon relied on the same structure in the fight, and stock footage. Nice sequences, but you use them 40 times.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8