• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Hey There, Sailor!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharpied

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:08 am Reply with quote
My cousins had a pair of Sailor Moon shoes in the 1990s, so they did indeed sell Sailor Moon shoes in the US. I really wanted a pair.

Jupiter used to be my favorite Sailor soldier.
moonie92

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:10 am Reply with quote
I love Hotaru (Saturn) and by extension her two mamas and papa. But Hotaru is by far my favorite anime character, probably ever. I love Neptune and Uranus' relationship a lot. It was one of the first positive gay romances I ever saw. Of course I saw it subbed at 14 but it made a big difference to a now almost 20 year old me.

By extension I also kind of like Chibiusa (Rini), but only when she's with Hotaru. Every other time she can suck balls. She's annoying and spoiled.

I would kill for some Neptune, Uranus, and Saturn figures. I will be preordering them next year if any come out with the new series. Maybe I'll get a lamp collection lol.

I wish figures were easier to find than cheap toys. Funny story, last con I went to I found someone cosplaying as Eternal Sailor Moon and asked her to stop and take a picture with me. I was wearing my Hot Topic Sailor Moon shirt (the three quarter sleeves one with all the inners on it.) She paused for a minute and asked me where on earth I got a shirt with her and her friends on it. I told her there was some at Hot Topic right across the street. I think she ended up spending some of her con money at Hot Topic and bought it in full costume. I also bought my pink Sailor Moon bag ("I'LL PUNISH YOU IN THE NAME OF THE MOON!")

Geeze I'm psyched for a new series. My magical girls obsession is being fed.

And fencedude I do wish Precure would get a Region 1 DVD (or a decent priced Region A Blu-ray with English subs) so I could watch it. I would buy it in an instant.
bulwhark

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:25 am Reply with quote
Oh man, I can't even imagine my life without having watched Sailor Moon. Without it I'd not have gotten into anime or ever met my wife.

I got into it the start of my sophomore year of high school in 1999. Don't remember why I kept watching it after the first time I ran across it on Cartoon Network but a few days later its the episode where we find out who is actually the Moon Princess and "My Only Love" plays. Curse that song for making adolescent me feel real emotions for the first time. Desperate for more info about the show I go to the internet and end up learning about all these other shows from Japan.

Fast forward 2 years and I'm wearing a Princess Mononoke shirt at school and a girl recognizes it and we start talking. Fast forward a few more years (10 years to be exact, she's very patient) and we get married. And what's the first song played at the reception? "My Only Love". I was literally speechless. It took a few minutes to explain just why that was the most perfect song to come up at the wedding.

Favorite Senshi? These days I'd say Jupiter but in the past I'd have said Mars and Mercury sometimes as well.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:36 am Reply with quote
Lol, Moon Cycle! That's even more ridiculous than most of the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic toys!

But yeah, I know my friend was more than excited to pick up the new Sailor Moon manga, heck, they even sell them at Walmart! One of like, three manga titles they sell there (the other two being Naruto and Bleach I think). But I rented volume 1 from the library, and I honestly couldn't even finish it. I was kinda bored out of my skull. Maybe things didn't get going? I only read 4 out of 5 chapters. At this point, the library has at least up to volume 5, maybe I should try again?
moonie92

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:42 am Reply with quote
No, I wouldn't try again. The first couple of chapters are a pretty good idea of how it goes. I've read up to volume four and I love it but it hasn't really changed any. I need to buy six and read five. It might pick up when the Outers come into play because they are a little more mature, well maybe, they were in the anime.

Sailor Moon is far from perfect but still my go-to magical girl show. Then PMMM.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:28 am Reply with quote
Always an Ami person.

The Sorrid Saga of Sailor Moon over here (the UK) is something of an grand flustercuck. Fox Kids got the right in 99 (or was it 2000?) as a pitch hitter for their soon to be mega series, Digimon Adventure and aired alongside that show up untill the end of Tamers.

As was customary at the time, once Season 1 ended, The series started to air on ITV under it's GMTV moniker, in this incarnation it got to episode 6 and was promptly cancelled the fact it was cut for time on top of DIC's liberal cuts did not help affairs, however, GMTV got it's name on MVM's ill advised releases (dub only) which nearly put paid to the company.

When it came time to release Digimon Frontier and Sailor Moon S, Fox Kids aired previews of the two.

Also happening around that time was the change over to Jetix which may or may not have had something to do with the following;

When the supposed premiere was supposed to happen (As part of thier winter 2002 line up) Fox Kids chickened out and aired episode 1 of Tamers and did not even air Sailor Moon.

Thus beginning the slow decent into madness that was Jetix and Disney XD; a channel that is so incompetent it aired Naruto cut to shreds (apparently only so Cartoon Network couldn't do so) and Aired Inazuma Eleven for a month during the summer holidays before promptly cancelling it in favour of that stupid "We're myan gods" Dramady.

Last edited by ConanSan on Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:36 am; edited 2 times in total
PBsallad

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:30 am Reply with quote
Man, I remember watching Sailor Moon when I was 8. It was syndicated on Fox Kids out here along with Dragonball. One of the things I distinctly remember was that one of the few male characters shared the same name as me, Andrew. lol. I did enjoy watching the show, it had action, a different art style, and other stuff.

I also remember watching Ronin Warriors and owning a Ryu of Wildfire toy. A friend mine, who was older, had more I think.

When all of these shows came back on Toonami it was awesome. I was far more psyched about DB, DBZ, and Ronin Warriors then Sailor Mon though. lol.

One of the things I regret was in the 6th grade. I had just moved to a new school and didn't know anybody, but made friends quickly. One of the cute girls in class had a Sailor Moon folder. I thought about approaching her but never did. I was too shy.
Even in junior high and high school I never really talked to her and never mention that "shared" interest. =/

edit:fixed some spelling mistakes.

Last edited by PBsallad on Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Sailor S

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:43 am Reply with quote
Sailor Venus may be able to kill the bad dudes with a laser, but Sailor Saturn can blow up the whole freaking planet. She's easily my favorite Sailor Soldier, in part due to her cuteness, and in part due to her wielding a glaive. She just looks badass.

I didn't get introduced to Sailor Moon until I was in college. I really only got going on it because it was on right before DBZ on Cartoon Network, and I often had nothing else going on, so I'd tune in now and again. I think what really got me hooked was watching the final episode of the first season. Something about it just resonated with me and I felt the need to watch more, and before I knew it I was tuning in regularly specifically for Sailor Moon, and DBZ kind of became the "Well, since I'm already watching, might as well keep it on this channel" kind of show.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:58 am Reply with quote
Sailor Moon was my gateway anime, big time (along with Dragon Ball Z). I recorded so many episodes on spare VHS tapes I had lying around while I was at school. At the time, I wasn't aware of the different music and episode edits (and skips). I was just captivated by the show's story and characters. For some reason, despite the hatred the English version still gets to this day, it's the version I like the most because I grew up with it. Don't get me wrong, I listened to the earliest episodes in Japanese too, but at the time, I laughed at what a big difference there was in dialogue.

For example, in the debut episode when Usagi's mother kicked her out of the house in the Japanese version as punishment for botching her test, the dialogue was changed to her mother telling her to go back to the library and study for the next test. Either way, it works.

Mercury was always my favorite of the Inner Scouts and Uranus became my favorite of the Outers. I'm still annoyed to this day we never got Stars (thankfully, there were subs). In any case, I'm very intrigued by this remake. I wonder what they'll add or change.

Quote:
Sailor Moon was edgy enough that, even in slightly more relaxed Japan, the first season's finale drew angry letters from parents, upset that their little girls spent three Saturdays in a row watching Sailor Moon's buddies struggling and dying before the good guys finally won and the reset button got pushed.

I'm laughing so hard at this right now, seriously. XD
rabrek

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:32 am Reply with quote
I don't think I've ever seen an episode of Sailor Moon, but you can't help but know a chunk of the basics because its presence looms so large. Enjoyed the article quite a bit, as always. Many thanks.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:52 am Reply with quote
Quote:
They abruptly moved Sailor Moon from Mixxzine to Smile, a teen girl magazine that was so awful and repellent that I wrote an angry editorial about it for my old Anime Jump website.

Are you talking about this editorial?

http://web.archive.org/web/20010804032408/http://www.animejump.com/cgi-bin/go.cgi?go=editorial/smilemagazine
http://web.archive.org/web/20010828153829/http://www.animejump.com/cgi-bin/go.cgi?go=editorial/smilemagazine2
http://web.archive.org/web/20030508212425/http://www.animejump.com/cgi-bin/go.cgi?go=editorial/smilemagazine3
supersqueak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:17 am Reply with quote
I did in fact have a pair of sailor moon sneakers in headstart. My mom bought them from Payless and they were my favorites until they got too dirty from playground gravel. Wish she had saved them it would be cool too see them compared to my shoes now and know that I have been watching anime that long.
moonie92

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:17 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

For example, in the debut episode when Usagi's mother kicked her out of the house in the Japanese version as punishment for botching her test, the dialogue was changed to her mother telling her to go back to the library and study for the next test. Either way, it works.

Oh snap, I forgot about that edit. I still love the first episodes in both languages. "Sailor V Kick!" WTF way to kick the door.
thenix

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:46 am Reply with quote
The DVDs weren't hard to find here, I picked them up as they were coming out at Sam Goody. They were friggin expensive though $30 a pop. I could only afford the first 3 but I love them
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:02 am Reply with quote
Oh my god, if I go on about my love for this series, it would take up pages and pages.

This article was much better than I thought it would be. It's a topic that I'm very interested in (I've written probably 1/4 of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sailor_Moon_%28English_adaptations%29 ). Sailor Moon's history is a rocky one, but it's a fascinating look at the history of the US anime industry.

I think if the new series is lucky enough to be as popular as the original, then it should capture the same magic, and should bring a whole new generation to the series.

My favorite Sailor Scout is Raye AKA Sailor Mars. She's a no-nonsense, red hot, spunky little fireball. I love female characters like that! Mina/Sailor Venus is awesome too!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8