• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Hey There, Sailor!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:03 am Reply with quote
Sailor Moon was broadcast in North American Syndication in The Fall of 1994 not 1995. It aired the same time as the RubySpears "Mega Man" Cartoon. And FOUR years before Pokemon's infamous 4kids release. I remember because my affiliate UPN 20 KTXH ran the show on Weekday mornings. At the time, "Paramount Network" had just become the "UPN Network.

Sailor Moon's DiC,Nelvana Americanized run lasted from October 17,1994 to November 18,1996. The Original Japanese broadcast was from October 25,1992 to September 19,1993.

The original Japanese airing landed with a hollow thud. Ratings were dismal and the show was far less successful than the manga. Both it and "Tenchi Muyo" were large failures in their respective domestic runs. It was the 1994 localization that saved the show. TOEI was able to come out with a brilliant marketing campaign for its Stateside run and DiC was happy to come out and state outright that:

"Sailor Moon is the latest cutting edge animated series to come Straight from Japan. Its Japanime and DiC Entertainment,TOEI and Nevlana is bringing it to the American audience."

Sailor Moon is noted for be the first Americanized Anime Series to actually be recognized as an anime. Before 1994, Mainstream anime that was Americanized had its Japanese origins completely omitted.

Sailor Moon for some reason never really caught on in Japan. But outside of Japan it DOMINATED Western otaku culture throughout the 1990s. As late as 1999, it was still being watched in syndication and was one of the top Cosplay costumes of that era.

In early 1999, Pioneer USA(before they became Geneon of course) brought Sailor Moon to both video and DVD after only a few years, Pioneer lost the home video license and ADV Films acquired its later properties. By the time the R1 market finally boomed around 2002, Sailor Moon's popularity had waned, ADV and Pioneer's releases quickly went out of print. Sailor Moon soon got caught up with 90s culture and became a relic of the 1990s.

Two Decades have passed since its airing in Japan. 17 and a half years have gone by since it hit the States and most of the Sailor Moon Western fans are now in their mid to late 20s, many of the Cosplayers are already nearing middle age and since 1994 and 1995 newer generation of otaku have been born.

I am interested in seeing how a new Sailor Moon is going to be executed this time around. Back in '94, DiC had to do heavy editing and of course removed the taboo exposition between Sailor Jupiter and Sailor Saturn(spoiler[ They're lesbian lovers] and changed it to them being cousins. Altering the romantic diolouge between them and any scene of them being affectionate towards each other was removed from syndication, the original yuri-subplot was restored in the ADV release.

Times change and whoever TOEI gets to license this newer incarnation, knows this time around, there won't be much editing.
Sprocket

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:26 am Reply with quote
If Sailor Moon did so abysmally in Japan, why did it have four sequel shows and a movie every year? Last I checked, those were the signs of a healthy franchise.

This article was one hell of a trip down memory lane. Given how popular Astro Boy, Sailor Moon and DBZ were in Canada, I have to feel for them never getting the kind of availability we had thanks to Toonami and numerous DVD releases.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:49 am Reply with quote
Sprocket wrote:
If Sailor Moon did so abysmally in Japan, why did it have four sequel shows and a movie every year? Last I checked, those were the signs of a healthy franchise.

This article was one hell of a trip down memory lane. Given how popular Astro Boy, Sailor Moon and DBZ were in Canada, I have to feel for them never getting the kind of availability we had thanks to Toonami and numerous DVD releases.

The Global success of Sailor Moon as well as the manga's immense popularity led to its successful franchise run in the second half of the 1990s.

In 1992-1993, Sailor Moon was virtually ignored in Japan. Most fans preferred the manga and felt the serious was simply too tame and not edgy enough.

To gain more fans and pique interest in the surging success of the series across the globe, Naoko Takeuchi encouraged Sailor Moon doujinshi in its sale and distribution. She also freely embraced Comiket's hentai conversions of her characters. Which was abnormal because at the time, most manga,anime artists were indifferent to the idea of their creations being done by different artists for the sole purpose of selling Adult material.

So you see, TOEI,Takeguchi and TVTokyo injected life into the anime franchise by riding the wave of its Westernized phenomenon. By 1995, Sailor Moon had NEW life in Japan and finally had begun to garner attention domestically.

You can kinda compare it to "Cowboy Bebop". Originally back in its TVWOW run in October 1998, Cowboy Bebop ran on Friday nights with lackluster ratings. After 13 episodes, the show was moved to Nippon TV who gave it a Saturday night timeslot starting on January 9,1999. The new timeslot and new TV Network home set the Cowboy Bebop craze ablaze.
Fallenmessiahx

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:13 am Reply with quote
The first time I found out about Sailor Moon was I when I was watching TV before school and one of those horrible but funny commercials for the dolls came on. (I'm sure they are on youtube)
I laughed because it was such a goofy commercial. I told my friend at school about it and they said there was an actual show. I checked it out the next morning and I was HOOKED!

I had seen some anime as a kid such as the Unico movies when they aired on the Disney channel but SM was the first anime that I knew was anime. I really do owe Sailor Moon for getting me into anime random. I don't know where my interests would be right now with

Oh and Sailor Saturn is my favorite senshi. Come on! She can destroy a whole planet with one blow! That's kick @ss!!!!
exkaizer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:45 am Reply with quote
My memories of Sailor Moon are pretty similar to everyone else's, so I'll just add some unique things that only happened to me:

-Lots of people had VKLL fansubs, but how many people personally picked them up from his house? (I met his mom. She was totally cooking stuff.)
-Similar to that, I saw him trying to sell his old Amiga+genlock setup at a local con's auction just a few years ago. The sales pitch was a little soft though -- instead of "Own a piece of history, the very machine that subbed Sailor Moon!" it was "20 bucks for an old computer? No? Okay, next." Right after that someone bought some used Dirty Pair on VHS for more than the DVDs cost.
-Apparently my grandparents knew Terri Hawkes' parents (she was the dub voice of Sailor Moon.) Her father, Jim Hawkes, was a Canadian Member of Parliament for a number of years.
sailorsarah

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:54 am Reply with quote
Not to be too terribly cheesy, but Sailor Moon changed my life. I first saw it one weekend afternoon when they were showing a mini marathon of the important episodes of season 1 when I was 13 or 14. It really left an impression. I later rented then bought the movies on VHS, and later still, got 4 episodes on 2 tapes that I watched repeatedly.

Then in 2003, I saw those ADV box sets in a Best Buy and asked my then fiancé for them for Christmas. I marathoned them then bought all the S and SuperS singles, then got a bootleg of SailorStars. I wasn't yet an anime fan, and knew nothing of fansubs. Once I finished it, I wanted more, so I finally started checking out other anime. The next thing I bought and watched in its entirety was Evangelion, which I also still love, so Sailor Moon made me an anime fan, too.

I met and clicked with my best friend because we both love anime and especially Sailor Moon. She then introduced me to my now husband, a casual anime fan. I left my fiancé at the time for him. My mother blamed the anime. She ripped down all my Sailor Moon posters. I'm grateful that Sailor Moon and anime sent my life in a new direction though. It is still my favorite show. I would have a different and much more boring life without it. Really, I ultimately have my two wonderful children thanks to Sailor Moon.

My favorite senshi is Sailor Moon because I always related to her normal personality and wished I could be as awesome as Sailor Moon/Princess Serenity.

I am super looking forward to the new anime and some hopefully beautiful new scale figures. My wallet is already frightened.
tempestskye

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:30 pm Reply with quote
I feel as though I am one of the older fans commenting here but I started watching sailor moon when it was on Toonami. At that time I was in high school and I simply fell in love. I had imported the entire series (live action included) from Japan and still have all my Mixx pocket novels. At one point I believe I had every piece of merchandise that was made and sold in the US as well. But because of the times I was forced to sell almost all of my collection so that I could go to college.

I would print off pages and pages of info and make my own books about the series and I even at one point started making websites devoted to the scouts (this was back when geocities was still alive). The word obsessed doesn’t even begin to cover it really. Before Sailor Moon came about I was a causal anime watcher; Galaxy Express 999, and DBZ were some of the ones I would watch, but after I found Sailor Moon I became an absolute fanatic about anime in general. To this day I watch more anime than regular TV and I even have a Sailor Moon tattoo.

I don’t know if I can articulate exactly why I love the show so much other than to say it is the most amazing thing ever. I know there are lots out there that don’t care for it and that is their business but as for me I will forever love this show and will always consider it my most favorite of all time.

Basically Sailor Moon turned me into a 30 year old otaku and I wouldn’t have it any other way!

If I had to pick a favorite scout it would be a three way tie between Moon, Mercury, and Jupiter.
soldierofdestruction

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:03 pm Reply with quote
i don't kinda like pluto or mercury
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Ah, the feelings of nostalgia is always so tingling! Very Happy

Yeah, when I was a kid in the 90s, I keep on seeing Sailor Moon merchandise everywhere and it truly did rival Dragon Ball Z in North America exposure and for that, I am proud of the series.

Despite that I am excited that Sailor Moon is finally getting a modern day remake/reboot, I wonder what changes will be made despite being more faithful to the manga this time and how will it make itself stand out compared to its successors Pretty Cure and Lyrical Nanoha and compete with them too?
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:12 pm Reply with quote
It's interesting how several anime titles seemed to receive a better reception in Canada than in North America, from Sailor Moon to Escaflowne to Gundam Seed to Witch Hunter Robin. You're welcome, anime fandom! Cool

OK, enough of the facetiousness. I remember how both girls and boys were into Sailor Moon back in elementary school. In between playing soccer or mini-stick hockey during recess, one topic of discussion would always be which Sailor Scout was our favourite. My sister was also a big fan, so we watched through most of YTV's broadcast.

I never really had any incentive to revisit Sailor Moon over the years. Part lack of interest, part laziness. There was always some interest to find the final season, but again, laziness. I am reading the manga through my city library though, and I'm surprised by the pace it's going through.

As for my favourite Sailor Scout, I blame Rei for my obsession of nice legs on a woman. She's still my favourite today.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:20 pm Reply with quote
To be honest,I like "Sailor Moon." It's a pretty good show and I enjoyed it. I once did a post on the attempted American version of this show and I agree with Mike. The video was terrible. The only good thing about it was the music. I don't think that Toon Makers was the right company to do an American version of this show.
For one thing,the attempted show was a live action/animated hybrid. While this can work in some cases,it didn't work here. Roger Ebert was right. Some things are just meant to be fully animated. "Sailor Moon" was one of those things. In my view,Saban could have handled this a lot better than Toon Makers. That doesn't mean I wouldn't watch an American version of "Sailor Moon. It's just that the Toon Makers version wasn't the right one.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Mercury was my favorite.

I'll leave it at that.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:15 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
The Original Japanese broadcast was from October 25,1992 to September 19,1993.

March 7, 1992 to February 27, 1993

Quote:
The original Japanese airing landed with a hollow thud. Ratings were dismal and the show was far less successful than the manga.

According to Wikipedia:
"Originally planned to run for only six months, the Sailor Moon anime repeatedly continued due to its popularity, concluding only after a five-year run. In Japan, it aired every Saturday night in prime time, getting TV viewership ratings around 11-12% for most of the series run."

Quote:
Sailor Moon for some reason never really caught on in Japan.

"The media franchise is one of the most successful Japan has ever had, reaching 1.5 billion dollars in merchandise sales during the first three years. Ten years after the series completion, the series has featured among the top thirty of TV Asahi's Top 100 anime polls in 2005 and 2006. The anime series won the Animage Anime Grand Prix prize in 1993."

Quote:
I am interested in seeing how a new Sailor Moon is going to be executed this time around. Back in '94, DiC had to do heavy editing and of course removed the taboo exposition between Sailor Jupiter and Sailor Saturn(spoiler[ They're lesbian lovers] and changed it to them being cousins.

You mean Uranus and Neptune.

Quote:
In 1992-1993, Sailor Moon was virtually ignored in Japan. Most fans preferred the manga and felt the serious was simply too tame and not edgy enough.

I've already covered why this isn't true.

Quote:
To gain more fans and pique interest in the surging success of the series across the globe, Naoko Takeuchi encouraged Sailor Moon doujinshi in its sale and distribution.

Have any evidence that she did this as a way to increase sales?

Quote:
She also freely embraced Comiket's hentai conversions of her characters. Which was abnormal because at the time, most manga,anime artists were indifferent to the idea of their creations being done by different artists for the sole purpose of selling Adult material.

Embracing doujinshi culture was already fairly normal for mangaka by 1992.

Quote:
So you see, TOEI,Takeguchi and TVTokyo injected life into the anime franchise by riding the wave of its Westernized phenomenon. By 1995, Sailor Moon had NEW life in Japan and finally had begun to garner attention domestically.

1995 was about the time Sailormoon's ratings started falling, due to the disappointing SuperS season.
Brand

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Oh, man those Sailor Moon ice cream pops bring back memories. I was in high school when Sailor Moon was in syndication in my area (I think Philly 57). During the summer I used to be at my friend's house all the time and I would make her stop what ever we were doing to watch Sailor Moon at 2:30 or 3 in the afternoon. Then the ice cream truck would come around and I would get one of those pops. There was even some thing to join a Sailor Moon fan club in them.

In the anime Sailor Jupiter was my favorite follow by Mercury. I like how she was boyish but still like girly things and seemed to be strong as a Scout but seemed to have failings in her personal life.

Though in the live action series I like Mercury the best. The girl who played Jupiter just wasn't that great of an actress and Mercury got a bitching story line.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fanime99

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:26 pm Reply with quote
I am surprised how many others like Mercury - she appeals to me as a soft-spoken, retiring, but highly capable girl. I liked Pluto, too - also soft-spoken and highly capable. About the only time I like the eponymous character is at the climax of each series Very Happy

I started watching Sailor Moon with the first release of the DVDs (with the rather poor DIC adaptation). Even with what DIC did to the series, the storyline drew me in. After watching the 14 discs (the first two seasons), I bought seasons S and Super-S from overseas - hated the new English dub actress for Sailor Moon (who sounded middle-aged), so I switched to watching it in Japanese. Went back to the first two seasons when the purple box sets came out (un-cut, and pleasantly different).

I've always resented the fact that Sailor Stars wasn't released in the English speaking world. A sub-only release would have been fine, wouldn't it? That would have discouraged those who were a bit young for the more confrontational elements. Maybe soon?

I'm buying the re-issued manga as they appear, including Codename: Sailor V (which gives a different perspective to Venus, even if it does make her seem somewhat flakier than the more experienced Venus we see in Sailor Moon). Haven't read all of them yet (I have six volumes, but I've only read four so far).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8