• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Hey There, Sailor!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Myaow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:23 pm Reply with quote
My favorite Sailor Moon memory is playing "Sailor Moon: Another Story" with my baby brother. Do you guys remember "Sailor Moon: Another Story"? It was that totally chaotic Final Fantasy-style SNES RPG based on a mishmash of the manga and the anime. It was fan-translated into English around 1999-2000 by a bunch of people who wrote the dialogue like it was their Japanese 102 homework. At ages eleven and nine, we thought it was the bees knees!

The best part was we insisted on reading all the dialogue out loud with rad character voices. My brother's favorite character was Sailor Neptune and he was adamant about reading all her lines. To this day, when I'm reading Sailor Moon, I sometimes imagine Neptune's dialogue in my brother's chirpy little nine-year-old voice. Good times!

(For the record, my favorite at the time was Sailor Uranus, so by our powers combined they became the Super Awkward Sibling Power Couple!)

Real excited about the 2013 anime!
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:40 pm Reply with quote
I've never seen this series--it was before my time-- and I have a feeling that if I watched it today, it won't have held up at all.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:42 pm Reply with quote
I first encountered Sailor Moon when watching grocery-store rental tapes of episodes recorded from the Japanese broadcast, and watched them through all 200 episodes. I was only 19 when the series started airing in Japan, and I had been paying attention to anime for just a few months following the opening of my eyes to anime at AnimeCon '91 (after being only casually acquainted via Voltron, Robotech and few others). I ended up buying the LDs for the first three series, but couldn't get myself to continue once the SuperS discs got started.

I only watched the first few episodes of the dub because the characters just didn't sound right after listening to the original seiyuu for so long. I did record most of the episodes and gave the VHS tapes to the sons of one of my mom's co-workers because they loved the series.

enurtsol wrote:
Fans wanted to keep SM from being associated with anime=pr0n which was the prevalent view amongst the public at that time. (Especially the various anime mailing lists ran by Japanese uber otaku Hitoshi Doi where discussions were almost scholarly in manner - but where everybody wanted to get in due to its wealth of insider info but ya'd need an invite and a member vouch for ya to get in, while ya can get thrown out if ya act like a blithering fanboy.)

Heh... I'm still on a few of Hitoshi's mailing lists (although they don't have much traffic these days), and just a couple of days ago I "rediscovered" a Sailor Moon animation cel that I'd purchased from him several years ago (when he was cleaning house), when I was just going to show a Porco Rosso cel to a friend. I'd completely forgotten that I'd purchased it along with the Porco cel. The cel shows Aino Minako with Artemis on her shoulder, and I think that she's wearing her Stars high-school uniform since it's got the darker blue collar. The cel came with a background and a couple of the pencils showing her mouth and arm. I can't believe that I'd forgotten that I had it. ^^;;;; IIRC, Hitoshi Doi helped me to get the SM, SMR, and SMS LD storage boxes by acting as intermediary to send in my LD proofs-of-purchase, and mail the boxes back to me.

shamisen the great wrote:
I would say my favorite scout now is Venus too.She was so weird and manic. The episode spoiler[where she becomes upset that the bad guys haven't tried to take her heart crystal] is one of my favorites.

I still wince when I see the word "scout" in connection with Sailor Moon, but you've picked a great episode to remember. It's one of my favorites, too, although I'm still not sure if Aino Minako is my favorite of the Inner Senshi. I liked her goofiness and her seriousness, along with her history as Sailor-V, and her acting as a Moon Princess double when she first arrived. I also liked Hino Rei, with her bickering with Usagi, her red-trimmed Sailor Senshi outfit, her miko skills, and her ability to toss fireballs around. She gained something of an advantage over Aino Minako just by arriving 20-ish(?) episodes earlier. ^^

I thought that Pluto looked awesome when she first arrived, and she got even better when the rest of the outer-planet ladies showed up. I liked that group.

The live-action series was quite enjoyable, and I followed along using fansubs as it aired. I ended up buying the first two DVDs for it when they were released, but my budget had other priorities at that time, so that was as far as I got until the recent-ish release of the PGSM DVD box, which I bought. Now I've got it all!, but I don't currently have a R2-DVD player... ^^
Kosaka

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Just a few things that come to mind for me.

I first heard about SOS in 2000 or 2001, and my impression was that you couldn't trust what they said.

Goodbye SOS. Good Riddance or Fond Farewell? - by Robert Wheeler (December 16th, 2004):
http://smuncensored.com/editorial.php?article=17

Look At What the SOS Has Done Now:
http://smuncensored.com/antisos.php

ADV's subtitled Sailor Moon Season 1 and Sailor Moon R came out relatively late; after the movies, Sailor Moon S and SuperS, and the dubbed Sailor Moon Season 1 and Sailor Moon R had come out.

Sailor Moon - Season 1 Uncut (DVD) (2003-07-15):
release#1368

I saw Ikuhara at a convention in 2000. I think Ikuhara started out as an episode director for series director Junichi Sato in Sailor Moon Season 1, and maybe part of Sailor Moon R (I don't remember R being mentioned), then did the Sailor Moon R movie, then was series director for Sailor Moon S, left before SuperS started, was asked and encouraged by the new series director to do the SuperS movie, came up with a plot that include elements that later were in Utena, and then the SuperS series director was fired and with the firing the SuperS movie possibility went away.
deathfromabove1993

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:21 pm Reply with quote
I remember watching Sailor Moon during it's initial run on Toonami. I was oddly intrigued about it. Then I found out that my older sister was a fan of the show and sometimes she would tell me the episodes that she saw (I think at the time Toonami was showing the S series, when she watched it was syndicated). It wasn't until years later, that I found out that it was an anime. By that time I was already introduced to some of the classics. So re-watching Sailor Moon brought back a lot of memories for me. So, I absolutely cannot wait for the new Sailor Moon anime.

BTW, I remember eating that Sailor Moon ice pop. It was good. Wink
Cloe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Hoooo boy, Sailor Moon. There is no way I can miss out throwing my two cents onto the nostalgia-soaked love pile.

I absolutely would not be working in the animation industry today had it not been for the profound effect Sailor Moon had on my life. It's what cemented my lasting love for anime, sure, but it also gave me the strongest feeling of "This is what I should be doing" I'd experienced up to that point. From that moment on (age 11), my answer to the question "What do you want to be when you grow up?" changed from "artist" to "animator" specifically.

Sailor Moon will always be precious in my sight.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:07 am Reply with quote
Well publicized my foot. I go to this site at least one every other day, and the only thing I heard about some new sailor moon show was this article. So what are the details of the new show.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:58 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Well publicized my foot. I go to this site at least one every other day, and the only thing I heard about some new sailor moon show was this article. So what are the details of the new show.
Well, after a quick visit to Sailor Moon's encyclopedia page, I found this. Somebody clearly wasn't paying attention.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:16 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It kinda blows my mind, especially when I look at eBay for Sailor Moon DVDs, which are all STILL out of print, and find that counterfeit DVD copies are pulling in more than $2000 per week for companies that are not Toei. But that's a bitch session for another column.

You would think that Toei would get the hint here >_> Whatever the reason being for the series not being re-licensed in North America, they are losing out by fans who still want to purchase the show. I remember when I first reason in Anime Invasion/Insider that the boxsets would be released, and I went NUTS!! I ended up picking up all 4 sets and the movies, and this was at 'Aniplex' prices back then for boxsets. Oh how I had NO regrets, nor do I to this day!

Buster Blader 126 wrote:
It's interesting how several anime titles seemed to receive a better reception in Canada than in North America, from Sailor Moon to Escaflowne to Gundam Seed to Witch Hunter Robin. You're welcome, anime fandom! Cool

I didn't know that about Gundam Seed and WHR. I remember how I used to watch WHR on that nighttime YTV block. Never did get into Escaflowne until later though... But I sure remember hearing about Sailor Moon when it first came out! I remember thinking how silly the title itself sounded. I started watching the show on the after school block and I was hooked... And I still remember how I would cry during spoiler[Nephrite's death.] As someone who grew up with Disney and Don Bluth films, nothing got me so emotionally involved as that scene!

Oh how I'd watch the show ALL the time, including during the afternoon blocks when I could (especially during summer vacation). I LOVED Jupiter at the time. But now, I think I've sort of grew to love them all, really!

I still remember when R got cut off during the Dark Moon arc, and I'd talk to my friends at school about it. We heard that new episodes wouldn't be out until the year 1998 or something like that, and we all said how we'd be fans and wait until then! ...sadly it never happened... It took too long and I got out of it for quite some time. Several years later was when I REALLY got into anime and discovered how much it was edited, and tracked down the show in its original format. After seeing an episode of S on tv, I just couldn't do the dub anymore...

Heh, I remember a number of years ago I went through some of my old school stuff my parents kept. There was an assignment on "where in the world would you like to visit?" I answered with an "I'd visit Japan, because Sailor Moon is from there!"

Speaking of the new show... If they do release some awesome new merch in Japan (which they most certainly will) I think I'm going to have a dead wallet!
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:49 am Reply with quote
Oh man, this is definitely the show that got me into anime. I had never seen female superheroines like this. Sure, there were female members of the Power Rangers and superhero groups like the X-Men, but here was a show that focussed on their daily lives outside of fighting the bad guys as well. Watching the dub now is a little rough, but I kind of like what Dic did with the show. As corny as much of the script was (keeping in mind it IS an adaptation of a kids' show, so the original is no Shakespeare either), I think it was an effective bridge at that time. I watched the series in syndication, then was overjoyed when it resurfaced on Toonami my freshman year of high school with THE LOST EPISODES! I sought out some fansubs of later seasons and I was even more excited when I heard we would be getting S and SuperS, but unfortunately the new dub was more than a little disappointing and I turned to fansubs to finish out the series. In the end, I'm glad it got adapted and brought over. The new series may not hold up to my nostalgia, but I will definitely be watching.

My favorite Senshi/Scout was..well, that's tough. Growing up, it was Sailor Moon herself (clumsy, goofy girl becomes superhero Princess!), but looking back now, I'd have to say I like the four inner Senshi around her instead. Maybe I'm just cynical, but she seems to have had a lot handed to her, as to where the other four earned their dreams, goals, and aspirations. OK, maybe Rei bullied her way to hers, but still! Very Happy
Ingraman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:58 am Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
Quote:
It kinda blows my mind, especially when I look at eBay for Sailor Moon DVDs, which are all STILL out of print, and find that counterfeit DVD copies are pulling in more than $2000 per week for companies that are not Toei. But that's a bitch session for another column.

I remember when I first reason in Anime Invasion/Insider that the boxsets would be released, and I went NUTS!! I ended up picking up all 4 sets and the movies, and this was at 'Aniplex' prices back then for boxsets. Oh how I had NO regrets, nor do I to this day!

Your posts got me wondering when I bought the two ADV DVD sets for SM/SMR. A search of my old email says that I ordered them from TRSI back in '04 Mar. for $50 each. Since the reviews for those discs were generally so negative regarding a/v quality, I wasn't in a hurry to buy them, and 8 years later they're still shrinkwrapped. ^^; My email collection doesn't go back far enough to show when I bought the SMSuper DVD singles, but I think that I bought them one as they were getting released...
Clandescent

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:18 am Reply with quote
A very enjoyable and informative article. I've been following Sailor Moon just a little before Mike Toole picked it up and find his history on SM in North America dead on.

I started becoming suspect about the possibility of Sailor Moon's re-emergence recently with that article that suddenly came out of nowhere from the Los Angeles Times many months back: http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2012/03/08/sailor-moon-serenas-arrival-20-years-ago-changed-anime/ That, and the fact that the manga hit it big as a top seller in the U.S. made me very suspicious that SM might be coming back.

Well It's back, and I'm very glad it's back. I think the series is terrific. It's a fun show and a great show, and it's re-emergence only validates that it's one of the best anime series, one of the best TV series show period, to come along the pop-culture line.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:59 am Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:

Your posts got me wondering when I bought the two ADV DVD sets for SM/SMR. A search of my old email says that I ordered them from TRSI back in '04 Mar. for $50 each. Since the reviews for those discs were generally so negative regarding a/v quality, I wasn't in a hurry to buy them, and 8 years later they're still shrinkwrapped. ^^; My email collection doesn't go back far enough to show when I bought the SMSuper DVD singles, but I think that I bought them one as they were getting released...

0_0 They were that cheap on TRSI?! Not that I knew about it until a little later, though. My Classic and R boxsets were from a local comic book store, slightly marked up. I think they were around $120 each. I of course, ran home and watched them RIGHT away when I got them. I know the voices were muffled for several episodes, but I just remember going through episode after episode thinking "0_0 this is awesome..."

For the S and SuperS sets, I got off Amazon.ca for close to $100 each. In the same order, I picked up the Escaflowne Perfect Collection and Inuyasha Season 1. This ran me just over $400, all when they had just first come out >_> Wow I wish I could do purchases that amount now! I know back then prices were high (and even higher in Canada, yeesh!) but oh how I wish I knew of Rightstuf earlier on!
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:07 pm Reply with quote
It's funny that I managed to find this review. I never really got into 'Sailor Moon' and had no idea what all the hype was about. I just realized that the majority of guys in my class were "ap3$h*t" about it. Plus, I never really got into or cared about "shoujo" anime or magical princess even though at one point I had been curious during my early HS days. All those bright colors of red, blue, yellow, white, light blue, hot pink, etc... of the 80's. It was like looking Fisher Price toys. But I did see some episodes and I was impressed by what I saw.

Oh speaking of the time slot, I had just finished watching the 'Reboot' TV series yesterday. During the 2nd and 3rd seasons there were references to 'Sailor Moon'. There was a binome version of Sailor Moon. She seemed to make a few cameos during those seasons. I take it that this little pop culture reference which had to do with the block they shared on PIX11.[/spoiler]
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
I've never seen this series--it was before my time-- and I have a feeling that if I watched it today, it won't have held up at all.

Yep, and that's why I wouldn't recommend the older series to today's anime fans. I don't believe they'd enjoy it as much as those who grew up with the original series. I watched a few episodes here and there, but even then, I couldn't get into it. I was in college as well, so actually having the ability to watch the show day-to-day wasn't possible.

Yet, I'm more drawn to the series now that Toei said, "Yo! We're remaking it to fit today's generation. Hang on to your butts!" I'll watch it because I enjoy the way today's anime is done, with computers and bright colors.

My only hope is they don't milk it down to the level of "Clannad girls" and retain the original design (I expect polishing design changes, but that's it). If they alter the character designs too much, I'm out. It'll be a cash grab and I'll leave that to the fans who just want the series because it's got "Sailor Moon" stamped on the package.

Just like spaghetti-Os. (ew)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8