• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Hey There, Sailor!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:

Oh speaking of the time slot, I had just finished watching the 'Reboot' TV series yesterday. During the 2nd and 3rd seasons there were references to 'Sailor Moon'. There was a binome version of Sailor Moon. She seemed to make a few cameos during those seasons. I take it that this little pop culture reference which had to do with the block they shared on PIX11.

I'm pretty sure it's because of how popular the show was in Canada. Canada got a longer run of the show and a bigger fanbase, and Reboot itself was filmed in Vancouver.

Mesonoxian Eve wrote:

Yep, and that's why I wouldn't recommend the older series to today's anime fans. I don't believe they'd enjoy it as much as those who grew up with the original series.

Although I still enjoy the show now, with the extended "monster of the week" formula, I can understand why others wouldn't want to sit through it. Not to mention how dated it is, in the art and just the pop culture (fashion, tech, etc.) in the show itself, which I can see turning off some people as well.

I do find it a shame when people aren't inclined to watch older shows though. Some shows definitely hold up from the 90s, but others? Well, it depends on a person's tastes. I would still recommend people to at least check out Sailor Moon though. At least, the original and S, if they don't want to go through the whole thing.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
I do find it a shame when people aren't inclined to watch older shows though.

As one who grew up in the older shows era, even I can't sit down and watch what I once appreciated. The solid-colored attire, the "blob" monsters with no characteristics, and the overused "atomic blast" are just ugly to me today, and if I can't appreciate them as I once did, I sure won't try to get someone else to.

I've 6 boxsets of DB and 4 boxsets of Inuyasha still in their wrapper. Chance of me removing them and watching: 0.0001%.

I'm too busy enjoying anime released in the past two years. By the time I'm done, here's another season ready to be watched.

The downside to online streaming services, though this is certainly no complaint.
Smile
Clandescent

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Yep, and that's why I wouldn't recommend the older series to today's anime fans. I don't believe they'd enjoy it as much as those who grew up with the original series. I watched a few episodes here and there, but even then, I couldn't get into it. I was in college as well, so actually having the ability to watch the show day-to-day wasn't possible.

So then you're judging the old series today on "a few episodes here and there" that you've seen -- and that may have been only the dubs that you may have seen at that. Come now. Rolling Eyes
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:

Oh speaking of the time slot, I had just finished watching the 'Reboot' TV series yesterday. During the 2nd and 3rd seasons there were references to 'Sailor Moon'. There was a binome version of Sailor Moon. She seemed to make a few cameos during those seasons. I take it that this little pop culture reference which had to do with the block they shared on PIX11.

I'm pretty sure it's because of how popular the show was in Canada. Canada got a longer run of the show and a bigger fanbase, and Reboot itself was filmed in Vancouver.

Oh really? Wow, didn't know that Sailor Moon was big in Canada. I guess the pop references would mean much more to Canada than here. Since Reboot was their show. As always all other countries always get good releases and the US doesn't get jack. No thanks to our limited interests.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:

Oh really? Wow, didn't know that Sailor Moon was big in Canada. I guess the pop references would mean much more to Canada than here. Since Reboot was their show. As always all other countries always get good releases and the US doesn't get jack. No thanks to our limited interests.

It's one of the few shows that actually did better in Canada. But hey, not like Canada ever got things like Tenchi, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Outlaw Star, Big O, etc. I only knew of them back then because people wouldn't stop talking about them on forums! So I wouldn't say US gets "jack" :p

...oh, and here's another little reference from Reboot. The robot was an old mascot of the Canadian YTV station that Reboot aired on. Of course, this is the original version. The American version had it edited it out. Not that anyone would get it, of course Smile
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:

SQUASH! Laughing
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:18 pm Reply with quote
I find it very difficult to believe that Toei WOULDN'T re-license the original Sailor Moon series in the US...

... the pent-up anticipation for a re-release is there.

There would probably be enough people who would buy nicely, remastered box sets of ALL 5 seasons!

This in spite of an announced re-make of the series.

Blame Toei for the horrible quality of the ADV Season 1-2 releases. They didn't give them the quality video/audio source tape materials and it's possible they wouldn't allow any kind of restoration, either.

My fingers are crossed that Toei won't be so dickish this time and will actually send over remastered tapes for a re-release of the entire TV series plus the movies and OVAs that were never released in North America.

A quality release in the English-speaking world is long overdue...

And no, I disagree that Sailor Moon is a bad show.

Yes, the animation production quality is abyssmal by any era's standards but the basic universal plots and appealing characters and voiceover artists are what made the show.

Even the Canadian-dubbed version had its share of fans. I'm NOT one of "those anime fans" that doesn't see the value of dubs in increasing the audience (re: paying public) for anime -- in particular the series that have the best chances of making it big in the West... so long as the original, UNEDITED versions of the shows are also available to buy/own.

I would hope the new version would be better-animated and have better drawing BUT I don't think the original version, the OVAs, and movies should be so quickly discarded.

Here's hoping it all gets re-released with the English dubs, Japanese tracks, and all the crazy stuff intact.

Would be nice to even see the original DiC dub re-released on home video just for laughs...

I bought all the domestic release DVDs (including the abyssmal ADV Season 1 and 2 releases) except for the DiC series DVDs. I kind of regret that decision now because I regularly play Doom II with the Sailor Moon WAD theme pack. It's hilarious to hear the Canadian voice of Sailor Moon complain when the Doom character gets hurt!

(Oh, besides the Fifth Season, the US/Canada never saw releases of ANY of the OVAs -- and there were at least 2 made; I have one of them on laserdisc...)
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:23 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
Blame Toei for the horrible quality of the ADV Season 1-2 releases. They didn't give them the quality video/audio source tape materials and it's possible they wouldn't allow any kind of restoration, either.

My fingers are crossed that Toei won't be so dickish this time and will actually send over remastered tapes for a re-release of the entire TV series plus the movies and OVAs that were never released in North America.

This would be nothing to worry about because each country who has gotten the license so far since the revival has started have used Toei's R2 DVD masters so if someone does get the license here then we'll likely get those same masters as well.

The one thing that interests me is how the movies would be released because with the Italian releases, Dynit was able to get both 16:9 (same as R2J DVD) & 4:3 (same as R1 DVD) versions & release them in 2-disc sets for each film.

(Click on image for details, click here for unblocked trailer.)
Ingraman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
Ingraman wrote:

Your posts got me wondering when I bought the two ADV DVD sets for SM/SMR. A search of my old email says that I ordered them from TRSI back in '04 Mar. for $50 each.

0_0 They were that cheap on TRSI?! Not that I knew about it until a little later, though. My Classic and R boxsets were from a local comic book store, slightly marked up. I think they were around $120 each.

A coupon being applied to the third item in the order says that it wasn't an ADV sale going on at the time, so I presume that ADV/TRSI were just clearing them out. Your sets might not have been marked up (at least from MSRP, anyway), considering what these links for Sailor Moon and Sailor Moon R show. I wasn't remembering the MSRP (I thought that it was closer to what you paid), but it's been a while.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Yeah those prices look a little bit close to what I paid. I'll gladly do it again if they re-release the sets! I just hope they do it BEFORE the next series comes out... I don't want Toei to say "why would they want the old ones when we have this shiny new series?" Knowing them.... Is it a crime to want both? (Assuming that the new series will be awesome.)
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:25 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:

The one thing that interests me is how the movies would be released because with the Italian releases, Dynit was able to get both 16:9 (same as R2J DVD) & 4:3 (same as R1 DVD) versions & release them in 2-disc sets for each film.

Eww, cropping. Laughing
Cordelia LeFay

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:24 am Reply with quote
Question.

Quote:
Irwin's underwriting of the rest of Sailor Moon R had a snowball effect. In the US, the TV series was kicked from USA Network over to Cartoon Network, where it fit in astonishingly well with their new Toonami block. Response was strong enough that Cartoon Network execs were left asking for more; and there was, and those 17 episodes hit airwaves as “the lost episodes” in 1998. But CN knew that there was even more, so they contacted Toei's American liasion company, Cloverway, and arranged to have even more episodes dubbed. Over the next year, both Sailor Moon S (season 3) and Super S (season 4) were dubbed and broadcast.

I distinctly remember Sailor Moon going off the air in the US/Midwest region in 1997. I also remember when Sailor Moon appeared on Toonami--so much excitement!--not only would they finish R, but S and SuperS would run too! But the article says this happened in 1998?? Really? Just a year later? I feel that it was much later....at least 2000. However, maybe this has something to do where I was living? Oh wait--checked the wiki--I'm not completely crazy! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sailor_Moon_%28English_adaptations%29#North_America

Finally, it's too bad to see that the manga was not given more importance in this article. Sailor Moon was one of the very few manga in bookstores (i.e. B&N and Borders) in 1997--and I would say it helped keep Sailor Moon relevant once it had gone off of TV. Borders gave manga a chance and really opened the door for girls to buy comics without having to venture into the "boys' den" of comic stores.

[/quote]
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:54 am Reply with quote
Cordelia LeFay wrote:

Finally, it's too bad to see that the manga was not given more importance in this article. Sailor Moon was one of the very few manga in bookstores (i.e. B&N and Borders) in 1997--and I would say it helped keep Sailor Moon relevant once it had gone off of TV. Borders gave manga a chance and really opened the door for girls to buy comics without having to venture into the "boys' den" of comic stores.

This is true. I had to be around 12 or so when I first wandered into my local comic book store which was full of the creepy otaku type of guys (as in nerds who don't get out much, not anime crowd) and I first spotted the monthly chapter comics Mixx released. It was early in the release and the owner said he wasn't even sure they were going to sell, so he was happy to see me buying the whole lot along with Dark Horse's Super Manga Blast. I told my friends at school from and from then on apparently he couldn't keep them on the shelves. Things got harder for him in terms of manga sales when the volumes of manga started coming out and he didn't get those, but Suncoast across the street did.

The Suncoast also had Sailor Moon posters, and the movies in VHS (subtitled way before the dub came out) which took me forever to save up for at 30 bucks a pop. And people complain today about the price of dvds. *sigh*
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:58 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:

The Suncoast also had Sailor Moon posters, and the movies in VHS (subtitled way before the dub came out) which took me forever to save up for at 30 bucks a pop. And people complain today about the price of dvds. *sigh*

Good ol' Pioneer/Geneon! I remember my Chobits releases cost around $45 EACH when they first came out. Most people won't even pay that for a whole boxset now! I did manage to get my hands on one SuperS single, before I acquired the boxsets. I think it was around $35 for it... Can't remember how many episodes, I think 6 though.
Vantos

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:07 am Reply with quote
Ah yes, Sailor Moon. I saw it when I was really young, and it looked interesting, if a bit strange.

When it came back on Toonami, I had hit puberty, so seeing beautiful miniskirted girls fighting evil appealed to me, despite the show's in-your-face girliness. I grew to like and appreciate the characters themselves, and I caught on to the Uranus/Neptune thing, though it took me a little while (I wasn't watching the episodes regularly.)

I have to say that Sailor Mars was my favorite, since she was tall and elegant, with long, flowy hair. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8