• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How often do you watch the opening/ending of a series?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How often do you watch the opening/ending of a series?
-Yes, I know the spambot problem was fixed but just in case....
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
-Never
2%
 2%  [ 4 ]
-Sometimes
38%
 38%  [ 58 ]
-Usually
28%
 28%  [ 42 ]
-Always
16%
 16%  [ 24 ]
-I mostly only skip the openings
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
-I mostly only skip the endings
6%
 6%  [ 10 ]
-The meaning of life is 42
4%
 4%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 149

egoist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:11 am Reply with quote
You're lucky I didn't write it or else I'd go with percentages, purely out of laziness.
Ignatz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:38 pm Reply with quote
I always watch the openings, but almost never watch the endings. The reason I watch every opening is because most of them do a good job of getting me into the right mood before the episode. However, the one opening I skipped for almost every episode is PMMM's, because it didn't fit the show at all.

Last edited by Ignatz on Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Crisha

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:19 pm Reply with quote
I always watch the opening and ending once. Afterwards, I only watch them if I really love them. I tend to find more anime openings that I love than anime endings.

My most recent case was Bodacious Space Pirates. I watched the opening Mugen no Ai every single time. This is the 2nd Momoiro Clover Z song that I've really, really loved (the other is the one being used for the opening for the new Sailor Moon anime).

Soul Eater I watched both openings, Resonance and Paper Moon, every single time. And this repeat show opening, Counter Identity, is effing awesome as well. (I WANT THAT ON BLURAY... In fact, I want all of the repeat show openings and endings). It's also a series that had one of the few ending songs I watched every single time, Bakusou Yume Uta.

Steins;Gate had a great opening, Hacking the Gate, and ending, Tokitsukasadoru Jūni no Meiyaku, I listened to most of the time.

And I could be here a while listing off the series that had really great openings and endings I listened to several times.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Almost always. I skip truly horrible opening/ending themes like (in my opinion):
- the second OP of Beast Player Erin, I disliked the way the singer uses her voice
- ED of RomeoxJuliet, that one just didn't fit the series and gave me a heart attack the first time. As did the second OP of Death Note, but that ended in me hysterically laughing the first time because it was so absurd.
I didn't like the OP of Natsume Yuujinchou 2 (bit rushed melody?), Nodame Cantabile Paris (that slowwww Sky High) and some Naruto openings, so those were skipped too. I watched the OP of Another to look for cues, so I eventually got used to it Wink.

Other than that, I usually watch them. I loved all of Natsume Yuujinchou's ending themes, Another's ED, Nana's OP's and ED's (rockin'), Cross Game's Koi Kogarete Mita Yume ED, Spice&Wolf's OP and I could name many more, but I should stop now.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:49 pm Reply with quote
I always watch the opening and ending of a show the first time, but I usually pass them by after that. For somebody whose list of favorite artists includes Tom Waits, Nick Cave, The Mountain Goats, Captain Beefheart and a variety of jazz musicians, most J-pop doesn't have much appeal.

There are rare, special exceptions for songs that I love or that just creep into my mind.

The list isn't too long so I'll list them.

"Tank!" from Cowboy Bebop (This song is probably why I got interested in jazz)
"The Real Folk Blues" from Cowboy Bebop (I guess this show has me coming and going)
"Coppelia's Casket" from Noir (This is what drew my attention to the show, in fact)
Hikari no "Yukue" from El Cazador de la Bruja
"Duvet" from Serial Experiments Lain
"Rondo Revolution" from Revolutionary Girl Utena
"Morning Grace" from Princess Tutu (This is something of an oddball; it's the slowest, calmest song listed; I guess I found it entrancing)
"Mugen no Ai" from Bodacious Space Pirates (This is another oddity; it's the J-poppiest song on my list; I guess the modest vocal effects and sheer effort won me over; this show just has some kind of weird hold on me)
"New Wuthering Heights" from Lupin III ~The Woman Called Fujiko Mine (Watch out, it's extremely much not safe for work... nipple plucking)
"Ai (Chūseishin)" from Excel Saga
"Lullaby" from Key the Metal Idol (This is an interesting case; it's the only one on this list that has an English version and that happens to be the one that I prefer, but the Japanese version is nonetheless very good)
"Tomorrow's Eve" from Avenger (I liked the opening too, but not enough to watch it regularly)
"Wareta Ring" from From the New World
"Gravity" from Wolf's Rain (By contrast; I really don't like the opening, "Stray"; it sounds like some lame Phil Collins song)

I'm not surprised that there are far more openings than closings. An opening has to sell the series and comes when your attention if fresh; and ending is often just something for the obligatory credit roll to play over.

I seem to prefer slightly idiosyncratic sounding opening songs that are at least a little energetic and accompany visually interesting animation rather than just generic footage from the series. Being by ALI Project seems to help a little too...

There are some shows with openings that I sometimes watch in full and usually watch just part of, such as "Jolly Jolly" from Red Garden.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
guildmaster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Here's are few ending songs that i like and will actually listen to:

Burst angel has a great ending song in either language, I like the English better because i know what she's saying, but both have a very nice flow to them. I actually dug that one up and saved it (in both languages). I can't find the whole song in English though only the 1:30 anime version. Too bad. I really would like to see another season of that one.

School Rumble 1st season ending is very catchy. Even my wife said it was catchy, and she is not generally fond of anime. I dug that one up as well. There's actually a video of the singer singing while walking around an outside mall, dressed as Tenma even!, with her entourage in tow. Way too stereotypical as well.

Spice and Wolf, 1st season Whistle Round the World is OK, I'll listen to it, but I haven't tried to find it on the Internet. That one needs another season as well, but I'm not holding my breath.

The opening song in Mushi shi is a cool song as well. I can't remember the name of it, but I'll dig it out eventually. Did he ever get where he was going???

A lot though are seriously annoying to me, so they get the next chapter button every time.

For example Natsu on the begining of fariy tail is very annoying, and loud.
born2die

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:59 am Reply with quote
If I'm doing multiple things I don't mind as much, but sometimes hearing it too many times makes me dislike it.
kookykonata

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:29 pm Reply with quote
I only sometimes watch/listen to the opening and closing themes.
Normally though I will at least watch them once just so I know how they are, unless that perticular song is dreadful or something. I'll watch it very often if it's an awesome song/animation though. Kind of like the ending song on Listen To Me Girls, I am Your Father!, or the opening to both Haiyore, Nyaruko San! and Denpa Onna To Seishun Otoko.
MajinSaga

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Depends on how good the opening is. I never skip the opening and ending for Ghost In The Shell: SAC 2nd Gig, Cowboy Bebop, or Serial Experiments Lain. But always skip both the opening and ending for Death Note & Berserk. I always watch the opening for TTGL but never so much the ending. And always skip the opening for JJBA but always watch the ending. Always varies.
TheCandid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:24 am Reply with quote
I always have to watch the endings and openings of animes. I just HAVE to.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:35 pm Reply with quote
I watch the opening on the first episode, then the OP becomes my "blast through as many sites I can on the internet for 1 minute and 30 seconds" time.
Guile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:55 am Reply with quote
I watch the opening as often as possible.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Never. I hate most openings.
FullmetalHeart1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:24 pm Reply with quote
It depends on the openings and endings because now I skip the first ending of Dragon Ball Z and ending 3 of Fullmetal Alchemist.
Lost_Shy_One

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Only on the first few episodes I watch the full episode (counting the op and ed). Most of the time, I just skip the opening and ending and get right to the actual episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4