• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Canada's YTV to Premiere Pretty Cure on March 6

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anne_elise

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:48 pm Reply with quote
i understand and accept the dubbing... it will suck but they have to do it to get it on tv to make money... localization and changing names however is just plain wrong... they should not be allowed to do that... in my dream world at least...
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
posterior_praiser wrote:
If this is the best YTV is going to offer anime fans, then that's pretty pathetic. This is clearly for the kids. I'd like to see YTV pick up some more new series for friday or saturday evenings. I remember when YTV used to show anime at a decent hour, and the zone lineup was mostly anime. Why can't they make similar efforts for decent anime these days?

Well, the attention that YTV's decision to air this series is getting can probably be chalked up to how evocative it is of their airing of Sailor Moon back in the 90s. After all, that was always seen as the seminal anime show on Canadian TV. Pretty Cure may be a kid's show being targeted at kids, but I really think this is a good thing. I mean, how many quality anime series' for younger audiences have aired on television lately? Sometimes it seems that in the quest to have authentic anime on the air for fans, so many people forget about the types of series that will reel in younger audiences. After all, that's how a great number of current fans first got into anime.

Yeah, it would be nice if YTV would take Bionix out of stasis and actually sought new programming for it, but it's not like they even have a lot of sure-fire options for it right now, especially if ratings have dropped. Who knows, maybe things will pick up again when that new FMA anime is inevitably released?

They probably shouldn't have passed on Bakugan then. It seems decently popular. Maybe that will make them tell Nelvana to pick up Metal Fight Beyblade...

And yeah, it doesn't help that most of the sure-fire hits are either being dubbed in the US, or have their contracts sold off to Manga "Screw You Canada" Entertainment by the equally "Screw You Canada" Bandai Entertainment.

Altorrin wrote:
Now you can stop whining about how you never get the good shows over there in Canada. You have Pretty Cure on TV, we don’t. Anime hyper

Things are bad when I start to say I'd kill for Rave Master. Heck, I'm pretty sure many of us would trade you Pretty Cure for Gundam 00, or Code Geass, or to not be like 100 episodes behind in Naruto, or like 40 episodes behind in Bleach...
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:36 pm Reply with quote
It's also gonna be on Sunday, 8:00 AM? That would be 10:00 AM in my zone. But still, would kids get up that early to watch? Confused
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Things are bad when I start to say I'd kill for Rave Master. Heck, I'm pretty sure many of us would trade you Pretty Cure for Gundam 00, or Code Geass, or to not be like 100 episodes behind in Naruto, or like 40 episodes behind in Bleach...

speaking of being behind on bleach, they started over from episode 1... again. there was a point when we got to watch episodes less than a week after their us airing. i have no clue why they even bothered picking up pretty cure when they seem determined to kill all things anime on their station.

(btw, did anything ever happen of their plan for an all anime network that they petitionned the crtc for a year or two ago?)
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:02 am Reply with quote
justdave wrote:

And the same studio doing Pretty Cure that did PPGZ quite franky scares me. The dubs of PPGZ that made it onto Youtube sucked, compared to the original subtitled versions.

Erg, yeah, "original." Heck, PPGZ in America scares me. Would one watch a poor Japanese version of a good American original anyways? Would one watch a poor American version of a good Japanese original? Laughing
pparker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:19 am Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
It's also gonna be on Sunday, 8:00 AM? That would be 10:00 AM in my zone. But still, would kids get up that early to watch? Confused

I don't know about kids today, but I was definitely up before Saturday morning cartoons started as a kid. I wouldn't miss it.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:35 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

This is a deal between YTV and Toei, and it's being dubbed in Canada, presumably at the same studio where Powerpuff Girls Z was being dubbed... (which is not a good thing, frankly, as that dub is reportedly horrid).

You should read the article. It said that they did license it in 2006,but didn't do so for some reason. I checked the info and 4kids is still being listed as the licensor when it preety obivious thay want no interest.

If that's the case,no one really knows what studio is doing the dub. Unless it's being dubbed by Nelvana which i seriously doubt,it wouldn't be that horrid cause,
anything is better than the dubs from 4kids and Nelvana.AM I WRONG???

however if those rumors in the form turns out to be true and Ocean Studios are doing Preety Cure,then it might be a dark horse as a good series for the young aduience (Mostly girls) and

unfortunately for those creepy otakus who want little girl fanservice like with magical girl preety sammy (old Pioneer version,not the funi version)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:25 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
It looks to me like whoever wrote the dub script was familiar with my fansubs because they've chosen very similar conventions... Dark Zone, Garden of Light (instead of "Field of Light" like Toei' website has), etc... it might be a coincidence but I'd like to think my subs ended up influencing the dub script a bit Smile.
Well, it happened with Strato's Haruhi subs and the Bandai dub, so it's certainly not outside the realm of possibility Wink

I think this is a good thing all around. Toei finally gets one of its major franchises onto North American TV, and North American fandom gets a series that could potentially draw a lot of fans. Let's not forget that for all the alterations and name changes, shows like DragonballZ, Sailor Moon, and Pokemon were extremely successful and influential in popularizing anime to a wider audience. If Pretty Cure can do the same thing, I'm all for it. My experience with the Pretty Cure franchise is limited to the first 19 or so episodes of the 3rd season and its sidestory movie, but there shouldn't be too much to "butcher" aside from the name changes. If I could turn back the clock 15 years to be a 12-year-old boy living in Canada, I would watch the show...what's not to like about girls going through ridiculous magical transformations and beating the crap out of various monsters? Forget about Inuyasha, this is "DragonballZ for girls."

And don't underestimate the early rising power of kids when cartoons are involved. Back in the day, I got up at 6 am on Saturday and Sunday mornings to watch shows like GI Joe, James Bond Jr., and Bucky O'Hare.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
samuelp wrote:
It looks to me like whoever wrote the dub script was familiar with my fansubs because they've chosen very similar conventions... Dark Zone, Garden of Light (instead of "Field of Light" like Toei' website has), etc... it might be a coincidence but I'd like to think my subs ended up influencing the dub script a bit Smile.
Well, it happened with Strato's Haruhi subs and the Bandai dub, so it's certainly not outside the realm of possibility Wink

I think this is a good thing all around. Toei finally gets one of its major franchises onto North American TV, and North American fandom gets a series that could potentially draw a lot of fans. Let's not forget that for all the alterations and name changes, shows like DragonballZ, Sailor Moon, and Pokemon were extremely successful and influential in popularizing anime to a wider audience. If Pretty Cure can do the same thing, I'm all for it. My experience with the Pretty Cure franchise is limited to the first 19 or so episodes of the 3rd season and its sidestory movie, but there shouldn't be too much to "butcher" aside from the name changes. If I could turn back the clock 15 years to be a 12-year-old boy living in Canada, I would watch the show...what's not to like about girls going through ridiculous magical transformations and beating the crap out of various monsters? Forget about Inuyasha, this is "DragonballZ for girls."

And don't underestimate the early rising power of kids when cartoons are involved. Back in the day, I got up at 6 am on Saturday and Sunday mornings to watch shows like GI Joe, James Bond Jr., and Bucky O'Hare.

Let's also not forget that this is only airing in Canada, and that kids these days have a lot more options for entertainment than we did when sailor moon was airing on TV.

Even if the dub is excellent, there's no guarantee this show will be a success. Although precedent from other countries around the world would point to it.
Pretty Cure was pretty popular in Germany, is a big hit in Italy (they're airing season 3 right now), went over well in both China and Korea, and... well I haven't heard anything about the spanish version but the dubbed opening was excellent Smile.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully it becomes a success in Canada so it can make an apperance in the US,alongs as the above companys aren't licensing it.

But if their transformations are like SM, Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha (1st and 2nd Season) & Magical Girl Preety Sammy Special (Pioneer Version) It might turn off parents. Especially if it's like magical girl preety sammy special ova. Don't believe me? then search for the review of it and Nanoha on the limits of magical girl transformation sequences cause it kinda have lolicon tendecnes and the otakus may want more fanservice for the later season.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:45 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Hopefully it becomes a success in Canada so it can make an apperance in the US,alongs as the above companys aren't licensing it.

But if their transformations are like SM, Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha (1st and 2nd Season) & Magical Girl Preety Sammy Special (Pioneer Version) It might turn off parents. Especially if it's like magical girl preety sammy special ova. Don't believe me? then search for the review of it and Nanoha on the limits of magical girl transformation sequences cause it kinda have lolicon tendecnes and the otakus may want more fanservice for the later season.

Pretty Cure's transformation sequences get around the naked loli issue in a variety of ways. The first season colors the bodies silver, almost like liquid metal, so it's very hard to call it fan servicey at all.
jason913

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... YOu don't see many magical girl anime series these days, since Sailor Moon ended.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:31 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Let's also not forget that this is only airing in Canada, and that kids these days have a lot more options for entertainment than we did when sailor moon was airing on TV.
That is true, but at least Pretty Cure getting on TV somewhere gives it a fighting chance.
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:45 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
If that's the case,no one really knows what studio is doing the dub. Unless it's being dubbed by Nelvana which i seriously doubt,it wouldn't be that horrid cause,
anything is better than the dubs from 4kids and Nelvana.AM I WRONG???

however if those rumors in the form turns out to be true and Ocean Studios are doing Preety Cure,then it might be a dark horse as a good series for the young aduience (Mostly girls) and

You do realize that Nelvana contracted Card Captors out to Ocean for the audio work, right? Rolling Eyes

Nelvana isn't that bad of a company, Card Captors and Beyblade had Uncut releases (for Beyblade it wasn't a full release though). The only titles they have that haven't been released in Japanese have been Medabots, its' sequel Medabots: Spirits (hasn't been released on DVD at all), and Pandalian. I don't count Bakugan, but it isn't over yet, and is really a Canada-Japan co-production.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:34 pm Reply with quote
You're kidding right? Or maybe you like their version of CCS.

Sure just what 4kids did for pokemon and yugioh which was preety good,Nelvana did the same for Beyblade and Bakugan which i completely enjoy,especially bakugan which is showing on the cartoon network and Beyblade on Jetix.

Unfortunately just like what 4kids did to One Piece and Shaman King & Tokyo Mew Mew & Magical Doreimi which made them infamous in anime histroy,the same thing with Nelvana's version of CCS. it's too difficult to trust their judgment on anime unless it involves with the series they did well with.

Hopefully someone else should get the license for preety cure than those two.For the series sake and for the sake of the magical girl genre as well cause this test on preety cure MIGHT just determined if Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS & it's Movie will get licensed in the US.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4